Can You Be Too Bald For A Hair Transplant?

• Administrators

This question comes up a lot, this question ties into the whole hair transplants thin over time, etc. What do you guys think? In my opinion, you're not too bald unless your expectations are too high. But I would love to hear the communities thoughts, let's post some examples of bald guys who had hair transplants, i'll start by adding @Zoomster

Can You Be Too Bald For A Hair Transplant?

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• Administrators

You’re never too bald, as long as you have a healthy donor. That’s also key.

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Totally agree with donor health. Someone maybe a full Norwood 6 but with a super dense donor and good beard hair. Also, depends on whether the person is on any meds to manage further dipping of the donor. The good news is that there are options better than what it was even 5-6 years ago with more use of BHT being used.

• Like 1

You can definitely be too bald for HT to give you the appearance of a full set of hair. You just have to be ok from going from flat out bald to balding/still having bald spots, essentially, this being the expectations you mention.  

• Like 1

• Valued Contributor

As has been mentioned with the advent of beard grafts being utilized along with a good scalp donor region and meds you can certainly be a candidate for a hair transplant. The two other variables are the skill of the surgeon/s in Norwood 6/7 patients and ultimately the expectations of the patient.

• Like 1

yes something which being a norwood 7 myself.. has been an uphill battle with transplants...

my head is getting there ,and i hope my last 2 ops in April bring my head into maybe norwwod2-3

again with my chest and beard hair being used.. bear twice now. but i still have a fair bit of my beard left they could use it it is suitable to use and chest hair also over a wider area... its possible with them scenarios

• Like 1

There are rare NW7 cases (which border or NW8) where even BHT wont help them anymore.

There are also people with the dreaded DUPA.  They cannot be helped at that point.

Thankfully those cases are rare

Edited by Westview

BHT has brought the "not worth the hassle getting a HT as a NW6/7" brigade back on board as viable candidates...

If you buy into a 2 pass strategy then you will be most likely delighted with your decision to have hair restoration no matter how bald you were starting out...scalp/beard donor allowing that is...

• Like 4

• Administrators
53 minutes ago, Zoomster said:

BHT has brought the "not worth the hassle getting a HT as a NW6/7" brigade back on board as viable candidates...

If you buy into a 2 pass strategy then you will be most likely delighted with your decision to have hair restoration no matter how bald you were starting out...scalp/beard donor allowing that is...

I believe that’s true, I’ve been growing out my beard, and I’m delighted to find out my beard quality is pretty good. Meaning my beard hair isn’t that curly, i can comb it with a regular comb. I’m pretty convinced it will make for excellent filler hair. 

View my thread

If you are very nearly slick then probably not, however it’s managing expectations because if you are that bald, you are probably going to need at least 2 transplants to be happy with it but it will never be perfect

3 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

I believe that’s true, I’ve been growing out my beard, and I’m delighted to find out my beard quality is pretty good. Meaning my beard hair isn’t that curly, i can comb it with a regular comb. I’m pretty convinced it will make for excellent filler hair. 

How are you planning on using it . . Fit farming or for recipient filler ? 

18 hours ago, yesplease said:

You can definitely be too bald for HT to give you the appearance of a full set of hair. You just have to be ok from going from flat out bald to balding/still having bald spots, essentially, this being the expectations you mention.  

I agree with this. A true bald Norwood 7 would need at least 2 homerun transplants minimum, and even then they may end up looking like a NW 2/NW 3

7 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

How many days did you let your beard grow to come to the conclusion its not too curly??