What is The Future of the Hair Transplant Industry?

6 hours ago, Enhancer said:

I don't know anyone who has got a hair transplant, though I do know a few bald guys with suspiciously linear scars on the back of their heads.

There's a plumber I occasionally call to fix certain things around the house. He's a bald guy in his early 40s with 3 very obvious FUT scars. He seems to be very dejected all the time. I tried to make small talk with him but he didn't seem to want having a conversation. I often wonder what happened to him, how did he lose the fight and if he thinks those FUT scars are there to constantly remind him he got defeated.  Was he butchered the first time and the ensuing attempts to repair him were ultimately futile, or he just lost the catch-up game against his ever increasing baldness/decreasing donor. 

For the sake of people who'll end up like him, for our own sake, I hope we'll have something better than relying on our donor supply.

Hopefully you're right and the stigma associated with hair systems is breaking a little. I think it will still require you to be confident to wear one, but it won't be any braver than shaving it. 

However I'm not quite sure if it has already reached that pinnacle. Perhaps @DrTBarghouthi can chime in, as he's got a unique approach by combining a hair system + transplanted hairline in cases where the donor would not permit full coverage, yet the patient insists on having such. I believe he said it's because a transplanted hairline still looks much more natural (well, the ones Dr. Barghouthi does surely do) than the one provided by a hair system. 

1 hour ago, UnbaldEagle said:

There's a plumber I occasionally call to fix certain things around the house. He's a bald guy in his early 40s with 3 very obvious FUT scars. He seems to be very dejected all the time. I tried to make small talk with him but he didn't seem to want having a conversation. I often wonder what happened to him, how did he lose the fight and if he thinks those FUT scars are there to constantly remind him he got defeated.  Was he butchered the first time and the ensuing attempts to repair him were ultimately futile, or he just lost the catch-up game against his ever increasing baldness/decreasing donor. 

For the sake of people who'll end up like him, for our own sake, I hope we'll have something better than relying on our donor supply.

Hopefully you're right and the stigma associated with hair systems is breaking a little. I think it will still require you to be confident to wear one, but it won't be any braver than shaving it. 

However I'm not quite sure if it has already reached that pinnacle. Perhaps @DrTBarghouthi can chime in, as he's got a unique approach by combining a hair system + transplanted hairline in cases where the donor would not permit full coverage, yet the patient insists on having such. I believe he said it's because a transplanted hairline still looks much more natural (well, the ones Dr. Barghouthi does surely do) than the one provided by a hair system. 

I do favour good quality ,custom made systems. As long as they are of a good quality in terms of the base and hair and the general attention to detail in manufacturing. I really love the combined approach. If someone understands the level of commitment that a system requires/ ongoing costs/ etc and is happy with all that then I literally think that miracles can be done. There are areas that can be completely left for the system (crown/ depleted donor for example) and the rest can be dense packed with a HT

As you mentioned, the limitation in my opinion so far is the hairline. Looks too thick and dense and most people might not like it. But the combination approach solves this nicely. 

• Thanks 1

Dr. Taleb Barghouthi approved and recommended on the Hair Transplant Network. You can schedule a virtual consultation with me here.

Contact me via WhatsApp at +962798378396 (Jordan) 

Social media:

Facebook

YouTube

Twitter

Instagram

I don't think transplants are going anywhere except getting better and cheaper. The exciting part of the HT industry is that it, indeed, is growing and will continue to do so. Consider just India and China alone, with both their billions in population and their increasing GDP per capita. As we've seen with countries like South Korea, more of that income is being spent on cosmetic surgeries, driving costs downwards and innovating along the way. You can walk through Gangnam in Seoul and have a good range of options from everything to tummy tucks to vampire facials. The costs are much cheaper than in North America.

I believe we are just on the cusp of some fantastic opportunities.

• Administrators
3 hours ago, kirkland said:

I don't think transplants are going anywhere except getting better and cheaper. The exciting part of the HT industry is that it, indeed, is growing and will continue to do so. Consider just India and China alone, with both their billions in population and their increasing GDP per capita. As we've seen with countries like South Korea, more of that income is being spent on cosmetic surgeries, driving costs downwards and innovating along the way. You can walk through Gangnam in Seoul and have a good range of options from everything to tummy tucks to vampire facials. The costs are much cheaper than in North America.

I believe we are just on the cusp of some fantastic opportunities.

I think there’s gonna be a market for everything, but on a larger scale. As hair transplants improve, it will be almost like ‘why wouldn’t you do it.’ 

We basically have that now, you can travel to get a cheap hair transplant. You could stay in the US and get a more expensive transplant, but perhaps it’s more convenient, or you’re scared of traveling, or money isn’t a concern. There’s enough balding heads for everyone to have a market.

8 hours ago, DrTBarghouthi said:

I do favour good quality ,custom made systems. As long as they are of a good quality in terms of the base and hair and the general attention to detail in manufacturing. I really love the combined approach. If someone understands the level of commitment that a system requires/ ongoing costs/ etc and is happy with all that then I literally think that miracles can be done. There are areas that can be completely left for the system (crown/ depleted donor for example) and the rest can be dense packed with a HT

As you mentioned, the limitation in my opinion so far is the hairline. Looks too thick and dense and most people might not like it. But the combination approach solves this nicely. 

I see two fundamental problems with hair systems, which is why I never see it getting beyond a niche treatment. 

#1- Social stigma

@gillenator told us a funny, but at the time horrible story. He spent the night with a woman he was dating, when he woke up his hair piece had fallen off. She asked what happened to his hair, by the time he grabbed it between the bed, she was gone. That’s a real fear, and if guys don’t wanna fess up to having a hair transplant, wearing a ‘rug’ is even worse. If we think about how long hair systems have been around, it’s been the oldest treatment. However, the stigma has never left. Will it improve? I guess some what, but I think it’s one of those things that will never be socially acceptable, especially for men. 

#2- Maintenance 

Another factor to consider is the ongoing maintenance and cost. On paper, it may look like hair transplants are more expensive, but if you factor in ongoing maintenance, hair systems cost more. When I researched hair systems, the real quality lace systems that look natural cost a couple hundred dollars every 6 weeks. That’s a couple grand every year, the lifetime costs would be triple what a hair transplant would cost, and it’s not your hair.

For me, I found that hair transplants + concealers can give you that ultra dense look. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

3 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

I think there’s gonna be a market for everything, but on a larger scale. As hair transplants improve, it will be almost like ‘why wouldn’t you do it.’ 

We basically have that now, you can travel to get a cheap hair transplant. You could stay in the US and get a more expensive transplant, but perhaps it’s more convenient, or you’re scared of traveling, or money isn’t a concern. There’s enough balding heads for everyone to have a market.

I see two fundamental problems with hair systems, which is why I never see it getting beyond a niche treatment. 

#1- Social stigma

@gillenator told us a funny, but at the time horrible story. He spent the night with a woman he was dating, when he woke up his hair piece had fallen off. She asked what happened to his hair, by the time he grabbed it between the bed, she was gone. That’s a real fear, and if guys don’t wanna fess up to having a hair transplant, wearing a ‘rug’ is even worse. If we think about how long hair systems have been around, it’s been the oldest treatment. However, the stigma has never left. Will it improve? I guess some what, but I think it’s one of those things that will never be socially acceptable, especially for men. 

#2- Maintenance 

Another factor to consider is the ongoing maintenance and cost. On paper, it may look like hair transplants are more expensive, but if you factor in ongoing maintenance, hair systems cost more. When I researched hair systems, the real quality lace systems that look natural cost a couple hundred dollars every 6 weeks. That’s a couple grand every year, the lifetime costs would be triple what a hair transplant would cost, and it’s not your hair.

For me, I found that hair transplants + concealers can give you that ultra dense look. 

I totally agree with these two limitations. Andre Agassi highlighted it quite well in his biography when he lost the french open final because his hair system wasn’t well attached. At that time no one knew about him wearing a system. There is an ongoing cost too which I agree with. So far I only see partial systems in low priority areas and with limited donors as a suitable option to offer for some patients.

• Like 1

Dr. Taleb Barghouthi approved and recommended on the Hair Transplant Network. You can schedule a virtual consultation with me here.

Contact me via WhatsApp at +962798378396 (Jordan) 

Social media:

Facebook

YouTube

Twitter

Instagram

After experiencing that horrific incident of losing my hair system overnight was a huge motivator to finally move ahead and get my first HT procedure.

I can still see her eyes of SHOCK to this day!

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

5 hours ago, gillenator said:

After experiencing that horrific incident of losing my hair system overnight was a huge motivator to finally move ahead and get my first HT procedure.

I can still see her eyes of SHOCK to this day!

Still better than to have your fall off due to fin side effects in the middle of a different procedure. 

• Like 1

Out of endless things to say, you choose to say that?!...I mean really?!

• Haha 1

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

I think we forgot that we are talking about the future here.  Which is more likely to happen first?

1. Hair systems don't fall off easily (arguably this is already the case, don't know what happened to @gillenator), maintenance becomes easier, less social stigma

2. Hair transplants no longer capped by the donor supply

ONE of those things WILL happen before the other, and that's what will determine which direction the hair transplant industry will go.

• Administrators
5 hours ago, UnbaldEagle said:

Still better than to have your fall off due to fin side effects in the middle of a different procedure. 

Please refrain from using profanity to make a point 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

On 12/24/2020 at 12:09 PM, Melvin-Moderator said:

#1- Social stigma

told us a funny, but at the time horrible story. He spent the night with a woman he was dating, when he woke up his hair piece had fallen off. She asked what happened to his hair, by the time he grabbed it between the bed, she was gone. That’s a real fear, and if guys don’t wanna fess up to having a hair transplant, wearing a ‘rug’ is even worse. If we think about how long hair systems have been around, it’s been the oldest treatment. However, the stigma has never left. Will it improve? I guess some what, but I think it’s one of those things that will never be socially acceptable, especially for men

That reminds me of  Howard Cosell  back in the 80's 😂

Muhammad Ali even had a famous line after that: I'm gonna let everybody know that that thing you got on your head is a phony, and it comes from the tail of a pony!

Edited by Westview

14 hours ago, Enhancer said:

I think we forgot that we are talking about the future here.  Which is more likely to happen first?

1. Hair systems don't fall off easily (arguably this is already the case, don't know what happened to @gillenator), maintenance becomes easier, less social stigma

ONE of those things WILL happen before the other, and that's what will determine which direction the hair transplant industry will go.

Yeah but at the end of the day you're gonna have to find a woman who doesnt mind going along with the whole facade.

Also if you ever get into a fight  she is gonna use your fake hair as ammunition to get under your skin while you're arguing with her.

And if you ever break up I can almost guarantee she will tell the whole world you wear a wig.

I also think its unethical to NOT tell a woman you wear a wig when you first start dating her.

Thats fake advertising.  So you should tell her right off the bat you wear a wig.  I think thats only fair

Edited by Westview
  • Like 1

• Administrators
48 minutes ago, Westview said:

Yeah but at the end of the day you're gonna have to find a woman who doesnt mind going along with the whole facade.

Also if you ever get into a fight  she is gonna use your fake hair as ammunition to get under your skin while you're arguing with her.

And if you ever break up I can almost guarantee she will tell the whole world you wear a wig.

I also think its unethical to NOT tell a woman you wear a wig when you first start dating her.

Thats fake advertising.  So you should tell her right off the bat you wear a wig.  I think thats only fair

I agree on all your points. Imagine being in public and getting in an argument and her making a snide comment about your rug. I don’t see it EVER becoming acceptable. It’s not even comparable to an HT

HT it’s your real hair, you can pull it, cut it, everything without worry. Too many things could go seriously wrong with a rug. Imagine your on a roller coaster and the hairline starts to lift. I’m not a fighter at all, but imagine you have to defend yourself from some drunk idiot and he wrestles your rug off in public. I’d rather be knocked out cold. 

View my thread

• Administrators
14 hours ago, Enhancer said:

Not true, past two weeks, the adhesive is a lot weaker, tugging it with pressure would lift it. Maybe not completely off, but enough to wear you’d see it’s a rug. This guy HairExperience on YouTube is pretty honest. You need to maintain it every few weeks, even shorter if you wash it daily. You cannot treat it like real hair when washing either. 

There are systems that require less maintenance, but again they look like garbage. The best systems are the ones with natural density, but they need a lot of maintenance. Trust me, the best system makers, much like the best surgeons are always honest. He mentions it here why guys opt for the crappy too high of density rugs.

View my thread

37 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Not true, past two weeks, the adhesive is a lot weaker, tugging it with pressure would lift it. Maybe not completely off, but enough to wear you’d see it’s a rug. This guy HairExperience on YouTube is pretty honest. You need to maintain it every few weeks, even shorter if you wash it daily. You cannot treat it like real hair when washing either. 

There are systems that require less maintenance, but again they look like garbage. The best systems are the ones with natural density, but they need a lot of maintenance. Trust me, the best system makers, much like the best surgeons are always honest. He mentions it here why guys opt for the crappy too high of density rugs.

Isnt it also true your scalp can become easily infected under the rug (especially around the glue)?? 

I heard something along those lines

On 12/30/2020 at 8:01 PM, Enhancer said:

At the time this happened to me, only tape and a strong glue substance was offered to affix the system...I was using both.

But still, a guy could have removed it from scratching his head during sleep...maybe I did that during the night...who knows.

Gillenator

On 12/31/2020 at 12:45 PM, Melvin-Moderator said:

Too many things could go seriously wrong with a rug. Imagine your on a roller coaster and the hairline starts to lift. I’m not a fighter at all, but imagine you have to defend yourself from some drunk idiot and he wrestles your rug off in public. I’d rather be knocked out cold

LMAO, too funny Melvin. I agree

Edited by JohnBob

On the supply side, the best FUE doctors are specializing and doing only it. And I get the impression that there is a tendency for the new doctor to choose do be FUE only too.

I think except for Dr. Konior, the most demanded docs are FUE only too. So if the current trend continues, we will see more FUE and less FUT in the future. 

Regarding hair cloning, after Organ Tech (Tsuji) went bust, there is really only company working on it:https://stemsontx.com. There is a lot of info about them on the net and I think they have a real chance of delivering the first version of their treatment within the next 5 years. Their version of hair cloning will be like a traditional HT but with unlimited donor supply. HT doctors will be needed to implant the cloned hairs - only instead of implanting a graft, it will be a scaffold with cloned cells inside it, a "hair germ", that will result in a hair. So hair cloning will be like the next version of HTs and the current docs will be able do adopt it. 

This is a 2019 video explaining how it will work. I believe they are more advanced now. 

If it works on humans it will be the holy grail. 

Edited by JohnBob

• Administrators
On 12/31/2020 at 8:38 AM, Westview said:

Isnt it also true your scalp can become easily infected under the rug (especially around the glue)?? 

I heard something along those lines

Yes, there are certain adhesives that irritate your scalp, you have to find the right one. Sometimes the adhesives that don't irritate your scalp don't hold as good. Not to mention the glue and adhesives can cause further hair loss through traction alopecia, from all the constant tugging and pulling. 

View my thread

On 12/31/2020 at 9:57 AM, Westview said:

^Taking everything you say here together, if she is going to tell the whole world when its over and try to use it against me in the meantime, I'm not really concerned about the ethics of her knowing -but she would know. Because in that war of the roses I'd be using it to embarrass her by mounting it backwards/sideways, inside-out etc when we have guests over or I pick her up somewhere. xD

On 12/31/2020 at 10:45 AM, Melvin-Moderator said:

I’m not a fighter at all, but imagine you have to defend yourself from some drunk idiot and he wrestles your rug off in public. I’d rather be knocked out cold. 

He'd probably still going to take your rug off after he knocks you out, and then stuff it down your pants or tape it over your mouth, etc. Don't give up your agency and be at the mercy of waking up to even more humiliation!

But these clearly demonstrate that fake hair will never be the answer for most guys. Hair Transplant Industry please keep marching onwards to that ever brighter future... :D

• Administrators
1 hour ago, ciaus said:

^Taking everything you say here together, if she is going to tell the whole world when its over and try to use it against me in the meantime, I'm not really concerned about the ethics of her knowing -but she would know. Because in that war of the roses I'd be using it to embarrass her by mounting it backwards/sideways, inside-out etc when we have guests over or I pick her up somewhere. xD

He'd probably still going to take your rug off after he knocks you out, and then stuff it down your pants or tape it over your mouth, etc. Don't give up your agency and be at the mercy of waking up to even more humiliation!

But these clearly demonstrate that fake hair will never be the answer for most guys. Hair Transplant Industry please keep marching onwards to that ever brighter future... :D

Imagine getting punched so hard you get knocked out cold and your rug goes flying into a pitcher of beer. Now that is worst case scenario. Waking up with a wet rug that smells like IPA.

toupee.gif

• Haha 2

View my thread