I don't even want to think about hair. I want to appear NW2 for life

Ronnieman

Nearly 32 year old male here,

I'm NW 2.5 vertex 

My skin and collagen is very good though, I look 18-22 in the face 

I am planning to go on TRT in 6 months, as I want to get a very lean, muscular and athletic physique. T levels were a bit low as well at my age.

There is balding on my father's side. Both my father and grandfather balded heavily after 40. 

Call me crazy, but I don't even want to think about hair.

My leanness, muscle tone, youthful skin and zest for life is what makes me happy.

I don't want to potentially ruin that with finastride.

I'm just going to max out everything else, and conceal my hair issues (if they come up) with micropigmentarion, concealer, hair fibers and/or a hair system.

Just thought I'd share this

2 hours ago, Ronnieman said:

My leanness, muscle tone, youthful skin and zest for life is what makes me happy.

Why would finasteride ruin that?

2 hours ago, Ronnieman said:

Then you should get on finasteride.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, giegnosiganoe said:

Why would finasteride ruin that?

Then you should get on finasteride.

Come on man, look at the myriad of complaints men have had on fin when it comes to libido and sexual dysfunction.

I just read a thread on this forum, where almost every guy commenting had some sexual/libido disfunction. 

I respect people's decision to do what's best for them, however.

Edited by Ronnieman

38 minutes ago, Ronnieman said:

Come on man, look at the myriad of complaints men have had on fin when it comes to libido and sexual dysfunction.

I just read a thread on this forum, where almost every guy commenting had some sexual/libido disfunction. 

Okay well you didn't say that in your first post. You said:

3 hours ago, Ronnieman said:

leanness, muscle tone, youthful skin and zest for life

1 hour ago, Ronnieman said:

You are weighing risks and benefits.  In my case it was easy.  Since I used body hairs as part of my strategy I cannot use fin because it would cause them to fall out of the recipient area along with the areas of the body they came from.  In the long run you'll reach your natural end point of hair loss plus whatever you've managed to transplant in the meantime.  The important part for you is to figure out where exactly you are going to land and to govern your surgery choices appropriately.  Don't put all the hair up front to keep it the way it is right now because that's probably not going to be realistic.

3 hours ago, Ronnieman said:

The chances of side effects with finasteride are 5% (so 1/20 men) and people are MUCH more likely to complain online. People who are happy with their results whether it be hair transplant surgery or medication profile don't usually post about it online. 

• Like 1

My advice does not constitute a patient-physician relationship nor as medical advice and all medical questions/concerns should be addressed to your medical provider. 

18 hours ago, Ronnieman said:

Nearly 32 year old male here,

I'm NW 2.5 vertex 

My skin and collagen is very good though, I look 18-22 in the face 

I am planning to go on TRT in 6 months, as I want to get a very lean, muscular and athletic physique. T levels were a bit low as well at my age.

There is balding on my father's side. Both my father and grandfather balded heavily after 40. 

I'm just going to max out everything else, and conceal my hair issues (if they come up) with micropigmentarion, concealer, hair fibers and/or a hair system.

Just thought I'd share this

Pretty large contradictions. "You want to appear NW2 for life" but will not maintain NW2 without medication. You "don't want to think about your hair", but yet you say you'll conceal and do other things to give the appearance. and it of course just gets harder to conceal as you go down that path

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TorontoMan said:

Pretty large contradictions. "You want to appear NW2 for life" but will not maintain NW2 without medication. You "don't want to think about your hair", but yet you say you'll conceal and do other things to give the appearance. and it of course just gets harder to conceal as you go down that path

By that I mean I don't want to be worrying every week/month if I'm thinning. I just want to be do whatever I need to 'conceal' any thinning spots.

Everyone is different though.

I just cbf fighting a losing battle by taking a dangerous drug that affects your hormones

14 minutes ago, Ronnieman said:

By that I mean I don't want to be worrying every week/month if I'm thinning. I just want to be do whatever I need to 'conceal' any thinning spots.

Everyone is different though.

I just cbf fighting a losing battle by taking a dangerous drug that affects your hormones

That is definitely at your own discretion and you're not the first to think like this. Every person whos eventually started on finasteride were at some point in time thinking they wouldn't possibly commit to a drug. However, according to studies, the instances of side effects were very low, and this was consistent even in a long term study, such as the 10 year term done in Japan. There are also over 10 million prescriptions cut for finasteride in the states alone. 

16 hours ago, AB2000 said:

You are weighing risks and benefits.  In my case it was easy.  Since I used body hairs as part of my strategy I cannot use fin because it would cause them to fall out of the recipient area along with the areas of the body they came from.  In the long run you'll reach your natural end point of hair loss plus whatever you've managed to transplant in the meantime.  The important part for you is to figure out where exactly you are going to land and to govern your surgery choices appropriately.  Don't put all the hair up front to keep it the way it is right now because that's probably not going to be realistic.

Sorry am I misreading this, does that mean if you have a BHT then the Fin has a reverse effect and causes it to be rejected?

Your fears are understandable, but it seems like you're in two minds.

Which we all are, if we're honest. We want to not care about hair, but deep down we do.

I've been on Fin for 5 years, and have had no sides. You've also got to remember that some people have been on Fin for 20+ years, and people who don't experience sides won't be on the net talking about it. They will be going about their day as normal.

17 minutes ago, HelpfulFriend said:

Your fears are understandable, but it seems like you're in two minds.

Which we all are, if we're honest. We want to not care about hair, but deep down we do.

I've been on Fin for 5 years, and have had no sides. You've also got to remember that some people have been on Fin for 20+ years, and people who don't experience sides won't be on the net talking about it. They will be going about their day as normal.

Thanks for your reply 

I certainly respect the decisions of others. Everyone has their priorities and what they are willing to risk 

Please see my other thread. I think I should actually be ok till 40, even early/mid 40s.

"I don't even want to think about hair.  I want to appear NW2 for life."  Welcome to the club! 😂

I have good news for you.  I've been on fin for 14 years and I'm still lean, have youthful skin, and still have a zest for life!  Get on fin and you just might accomplish your life goal as being a NW2, but unfortunately you'll still be thinking about hair.  🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

• Moderators
On 11/29/2020 at 11:15 PM, AB2000 said:

My understanding is that fin causes body hair (eg. chest, arm) loss.

I agree. I took finisteride for about 11 years and my body hair was slowly thinning. When body hair transplants started being a thing, I knew I would get that done, so I stopped using finisteride. The hair on my head had started falling out again anyway even while still on it, so there was no real reason to stay on it any longer. Since then my body hair has increased (except in areas where grafts have been removed for transplanting, of course).

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

You should be able to achieve a lean and muscular physique at 32 without TRT. If you can't do that you're not trying hard enough. Your testosterone being "a little low" won't prevent that, just means you have to wait a little longer or work a little harder.

TRT is also going to exacerbate your genetic potential for hair loss, especially if you're not taking medication.

• Like 1

You know Fin causes your test to upregulate a bit? From blocking the conversion to DHT. If anything your test will rise on Fin.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/14624915/

I'd also like to point out there is an entire category of people who get decently lean and athletic with low test. They're called women.

If you can't outdo them, maybe you should reconsider your diet/training plan. Man I see natty 18 year old girls who outlift many guys in my gym...

Low-test is a cop out excuse I see from many who go to the gym, but don't have their training/diet dialled in. Granted you may not be 'huge' on low-test and any woman you see that are, are likely on steroids, but getting a six-pack and looking good shirtless is well within reason for the dedicated male, low-test or not.

Edited by LondonRamen
  • Like 2

On 11/28/2020 at 11:01 PM, Ronnieman said:

Its not that you don't want to think about hair, you just don't want to think about hair loss, and of course who does.

Your list there is very appearance focused, and already at just a norwood 2.5 you're on a hair loss forum probably underestimating how much hair loss is going to effect you in the years to come.

There are a number of genes that factor into balding and they come from your mother and father sides of the family. It can be worse, mild, skip a generation, or even a sibling, like one brother being hit hard while the other has a full head of hair.

And concealing hair issues not only becomes a gradually bigger time investment as the loss progresses, it can sap your confidence and make you overly self conscious because you worry about others noticing your efforts to conceal, which can limit your activities, interactions, opportunities.

On 12/8/2020 at 3:09 PM, ciaus said:

Its not that you don't want to think about hair, you just don't want to think about hair loss, and of course who does.

Your list there is very appearance focused, and already at just a norwood 2.5 you're on a hair loss forum probably underestimating how much hair loss is going to effect you in the years to come.

There are a number of genes that factor into balding and they come from your mother and father sides of the family. It can be worse, mild, skip a generation, or even a sibling, like one brother being hit hard while the other has a full head of hair.

And concealing hair issues not only becomes a gradually bigger time investment as the loss progresses, it can sap your confidence and make you overly self conscious because you worry about others noticing your efforts to conceal, which can limit your activities, interactions, opportunities.

I am 32 in a month and pretty grateful for where I am at.

I have decided I am comfortable wearing a hair system if need be in the distant future.

Before then, if I need to, I can see how hair fibers/concealers look 

At this stage finastride is not something I would consider.

Edited by Ronnieman