Does anyone have any examples of hair transplants without Finasteride?

Grafts

A lot of surgeons will not perform surgery on patients who refuse to use Finasteride, because you will -

"Continue to lose hair behind the transplanted hairs, and it will look odd."

I am a young patient (Age 26) who will not take Finasteride, and I'm having a hair transplant soon. 

Yet, I have struggled to find pictures/examples of patients that have gotten hair transplants & did not take Finasteride, and what that looks like in the long term.

I would like to see actual pictures of what this looks like; i.e. Losing hair behind transplanted hairs.

For example, a young patient gets 2500 grafts implanted in his hairline. He continues to lose hair in this mid-scalp, but his transplanted hairs in the front are still there.

Does anyone have any examples of this? 

Edited by Grafts

It begs the question: do implanted grafts really dodge the effect of DHT? I believe if one does not halt alopecia, both the implants and native hair will eventually fall out bc that's what the body is prone to doing.

34 minutes ago, ryan-str said:

It begs the question: do implanted grafts really dodge the effect of DHT? I believe if one does not halt alopecia, both the implants and native hair will eventually fall out bc that's what the body is prone to doing.

I've heard that it doesn't completely dodge it. 

This is because even the donor area miniaturizes.   

In other words, it seems like in most people, even the transplanted hairs can become thin and wispy, but they might not completely fall and die out like the native hair does.

This means a hair transplant can become thinner/balder over time, due to the effects of DHT on the donor grafts. 

I just want to see examples of what it looks like when you have thick transplanted hair in the front/hairline, and then your midscalp continues to bald. 

I haven't really seen too many examples of this. 

Edited by Grafts

People need to understand the difference between hair thinning due to DHT and hair thinning due to biological age. The two are separate matters. 

I don’t subscribe to patients safe zone donor areas being susceptible to DHT, because in that case we would see a lot more older men walking around without a single hair on their head. 

Donor resistant DHT follicles are the reason the concept and plausibility of hair transplants exist. 

And given the recent trend of the worlds leading clinics and surgeons starting to become more confident with the areas they harvest grafts from patients ‘donor areas’, based on their case by case analysis - I don’t think they subscribe to this ideology either. If anything, I’ve only really noticed it gaining some form of  momentum amongst finasteride users on forums who are potentially feeling the need to further justify their reasoning behind using it . . however some have mentioned their doctors have told them this to be the case. 

As for examples - @Melvin-Moderator could perhaps post up recent pictures of a former forum moderator called Bill, I believe his HT to be over 15 years old now, and he doesn’t use medication as far as I am aware. 

• 3 months later...

A doctor can’t insist you take a medication. They can strongly advise you to take a medication, and educate you as to why that is. It’s ultimately the patients choice. 

It’s upto the surgeon whether he seems you as a suitable candidate based on a whole host of information, medication being one of the factors. 

There are plenty of docs who WILL perform surgeries on non med users , however it is important you are transparent about this, because it will likely determine the approach and strategy the dr will opt for, ie. planning to place grafts in a manner that will follow the predicted future loss pattern, and offering a more conservative design. 

On 10/11/2020 at 4:08 PM, Grafts said:

A lot of surgeons will not perform surgery on patients who refuse to use Finasteride, because you will -

"Continue to lose hair behind the transplanted hairs, and it will look odd."

I am a young patient (Age 26) who will not take Finasteride, and I'm having a hair transplant soon. 

Yet, I have struggled to find pictures/examples of patients that have gotten hair transplants & did not take Finasteride, and what that looks like in the long term.

I would like to see actual pictures of what this looks like; i.e. Losing hair behind transplanted hairs.

For example, a young patient gets 2500 grafts implanted in his hairline. He continues to lose hair in this mid-scalp, but his transplanted hairs in the front are still there.

Does anyone have any examples of this? 

Is there are a reason you refuse to take Finasteride? What is your hair loss pattern? If low norwood with slow loss then it probably is not a big deal not being on Finasteride. However, if you have a high norwood pattern of loss and you don't take any meds you can continue to lose all your natives and at some point even possibly your transplanted hairs. The reason I say possibly transplanted hairs as well is because if your hair thins into the donor region where your extraction came from then those would have been lost that time as well. I think a hair transplant should always be planned carefully with a long term approach taking I to consideration the level of loss and possibility of future loss.

If you are afraid of sides from Finasteride you can always start micro dosing and work your way up. If you get sides you can always stop. Another option is topical Finasteride which other members have had success with. Just keep in mind that anyone not on meds must accept the fact that they may only have a short term gain and also waste money.

Shits toxic so thats a loaded question bro. I STRONGLY advise u to NOT take that shit if u care about ur libido!

Don't let anyone stroke u on this stuff. Ive been here longer than ANYONE and have seen the horror stories over the past 20 years! I know all these dudes are gonna tell u how awesome it is and how great it worked for THEM but what u won't hear is all the people that are permanently screwed up as a result and dont let anyone tell u that it doesn't happen to ppl cause it absolutely does 100%.

https://www.drugwatch.com/beyond-side-effects/chicago-man-taking-propecia-biggest-regret-life/

• Like 2

• Administrators

I wouldn’t say it’s toxic. I don’t use fin, but many here do and are fine.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• 1 month later...