Topical finasteride

Hi guys,

Nice to see more people switching or want to switch to topical fin from oral, I personally started 3 weeks ago(MoRR F 5% min and 0.1% fin), because I got severe side effects from oral fin in the past like testicle pain, watery semen and brain fog. 

So while on topical version from last 3 weeks I didn't notice any of those side effects but I do notice a mild headache and an unusual side effect which is ; under my left eye I feel weird sensation which i never felt before but no loss of libido or watery semen.

I have had hair transplants and I want to preserve what I gained and what I left and may be to regrow some. So I will continue the medication through out.

Let me know if anyone else felt that weird side effect, I am positive that these would subside in a while.

BTW I am only dropping .50ml of solution on my head once a day to start. 0.1% finesteride in a 60ml bottle means 1ml=1mg of finesteride dosage. So I wanted to start with a smaller dose thus .50ml.

1ml twice a day would be too high ; 2ml=2mg of fin.

I am based in India btw so its very easy to buy MorrF here and it's very cheap too, roughly 10$.

They should sell a topical version that contains only finasteride.  Minoxidil lowers your blood pressure, so it's something to be cognizant of.  Headaches are often caused by high blood pressure, so your headache is probably not due to the topical, but then again I am not a cardiologist.  

I am just waiting to gain something so I am applying the solution daily, as soon as I notice some regrowth I will be using it on alternate days ,then twice week and eventually once a week through out the life. That's how my doctor suggested me, to keep some support of meds. Its a long road guys.

Regarding headache, I feel it like for sometime after application and its very very mild and bearable but what's with the Eye sensation? is it also related to Minoxidil? @Curious

Appreciate the feedback...we need more topical users providing their experience and most of all their results relating to efficiency or lack of.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Hello fellow mates,

1 month Update on the usage of topical MinFin 5%/0.1%)solution.

I am Definitely experiencing some side effects which is not placebo at all.

No morning wood these days, experienced weaker erections, slight testicle pain also. Though Not experienced watery sperm.

Please suggest me guys if I should continue with topical fin and wait for the sides to subside or I should consider myself one of those unlucky guys which are too sensitive to fin (oral or topical) ?

Or is there any way to lower the concentration of topical fin with diluting it with something?

This is an interesting and important topic, doing transplants without addressing DHT is not an optimal strategy for success. I'm lucky that I've never had issues with the oral finasteride been on it for about 15yrs. Thanks for sharing your experience, like others have said the topical needs further research. Found this article when doing a bit of online searching and apparently there is still some systemic absorption with the topical.

https://donovanmedical.com/hair-blog/topical-finasteride

Edited by ciaus

The drug will always to some degree get absorbed into the bloodstream even though its the topical form.

This is the first time that I have heard about sexual side effects from the topical form and my premonition is there are others who have experienced it.

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

It definitely goes in the blood stream that's proven in the studies too, so in my case where I am very very sensitive to fin ,even a single nano gram is tickling my hormones although it 3 weeks to show the effects.

I reduced the dosage for now and added something in my daily regime to boost my testosterone levels

I reduced the dosage to .25ml once every alternate day and added ashwagandha 500mg daily and one clove of garlic everyday in empty stomach. These boost testosterone levels in body.

Its seems to be working for now as I dont have headaches or stinging eye ,no testicle pain, erections are getting better but not as hard as before so may be it will take some time.

I will keep updating.

On 9/29/2020 at 5:56 AM, Curious said:

They should sell a topical version that contains only finasteride.  Minoxidil lowers your blood pressure, so it's something to be cognizant of.  Headaches are often caused by high blood pressure, so your headache is probably not due to the topical, but then again I am not a cardiologist.  

I'm conscious of the fact I've mentioned them a few times lately but Minoxidil Max offers a fin-only topical solution... I've just started their fin/minox combo and am impressed so far. 

On 10/7/2020 at 2:39 AM, nishchd said:

Hello fellow mates,

1 month Update on the usage of topical MinFin 5%/0.1%)solution.

I am Definitely experiencing some side effects which is not placebo at all.

No morning wood these days, experienced weaker erections, slight testicle pain also. Though Not experienced watery sperm.

Please suggest me guys if I should continue with topical fin and wait for the sides to subside or I should consider myself one of those unlucky guys which are too sensitive to fin (oral or topical) ?

Or is there any way to lower the concentration of topical fin with diluting it with something?

Damn, that's a concern. I'll keep positive and starting with low doses a few times a week.

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

• 2 months later...
On 10/13/2020 at 1:00 AM, nishchd said:

It definitely goes in the blood stream that's proven in the studies too, so in my case where I am very very sensitive to fin ,even a single nano gram is tickling my hormones although it 3 weeks to show the effects.

I reduced the dosage for now and added something in my daily regime to boost my testosterone levels

I reduced the dosage to .25ml once every alternate day and added ashwagandha 500mg daily and one clove of garlic everyday in empty stomach. These boost testosterone levels in body.

Its seems to be working for now as I dont have headaches or stinging eye ,no testicle pain, erections are getting better but not as hard as before so may be it will take some time.

I will keep updating.

Hey, I just started using topical finasteride. I am using .25 mg per night. I was wondering if you had any luck ? Did the side effects go away and have you started seeing results ? I will update with my results soon. 

8 hours ago, Nickpatay12 said:

Hey, I just started using topical finasteride. I am using .25 mg per night. I was wondering if you had any luck ? Did the side effects go away and have you started seeing results ? I will update with my results soon. 

Hi,

The Side effects definitely were temporary and went away after 2 months, everything seems to be normal now, no erection problems no testicle pain. I am still applying .25ml once daily and it is helping me with the hair.

But do add supplements to boost testosterone level if you feel something is not right after few days of starting the treatment.

3 hours ago, nishchd said:

Hi,

The Side effects definitely were temporary and went away after 2 months, everything seems to be normal now, no erection problems no testicle pain. I am still applying .25ml once daily and it is helping me with the hair.

But do add supplements to boost testosterone level if you feel something is not right after few days of starting the treatment.

Okay thanks for the response, what have you noticed improvement wise? If you have some pictures, do you mind posting down the line. I also made a post. I will be posting my results. I am applying .25 ml at night every day. 

• 1 year later...
On 9/8/2020 at 6:32 AM, Dr. Suhail Khokhar said:

Yes, it arrests hair loss and spurs hair to go into the growth phase. The chances of side effects are essentially zero since it's not absorbed systemically like the pill

The guy in the below video says it is absorbed systemically as well. Could you give your opinion on this?

Edited by quantumhair

I recently had a hair transplant at Eugenix. Checkout and let me know your feedback.

https://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/topic/63068-eugenix-3000-grafts-grade-67-my-first-hair-transplant-february-28-2022/

Anything that enters the blood whether by oral, injection, absorption, will become systemic.

Gillenator

• 1 month later...
On 9/8/2020 at 5:02 AM, Dr. Suhail Khokhar said:

Yes, it arrests hair loss and spurs hair to go into the growth phase. The chances of side effects are essentially zero since it's not absorbed systemically like the pill

Still maintain this stance?