Hi all

Looking for modern advice on crown transplants.

I'm still very happy with my hair line result from Dr Feller 8 years ago, but now I'm starting to think about the crown.

I have a horizontal rectangular thin/patchy area that sometimes looks very full and others not so. Hair style and concealer has helped me for the last 10 years but I want to get this sorted out eventually.

I'm 31, from the UK, on propecia and minoxidil and have had one FUT with Dr Feller in July 2012.

So, what's the latest thinking on crowns? Is Dr Wong still considered the best? Is mid 30s too young? 

Thanks

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

Hi @TommyLucchese I had a slick bald crown and midscalp with limited donor area due to myFUT in 2008 with Dr. Rahal so I had to compensate with beard grafts.

I had 1888 beard grafts implanted to my crown and so far the results are pretty impressive. 

BHT is getting more popular and the best at BHT are Pekiner, Dr. Sethi at Eugenix and Dr. Akin at HLC.

• Like 1

Hair styling with concealers can definitely become a pain in the ..., but its also a great way to delay procedures while still looking ok. Sounds like the meds have stabilized you for now, your crown periodically looking even thinner due to more of your remaining hairs being in the sleeping phase of the growth cycle. 31 is pretty young in hair restoration terms. You could still have some loss spurts as your body chemistry changes going into your late 30s/40s middle years. The longer you delay the more certain you can make your final result, how much time and hatred do you have for your current daily concealer ritual?

There's another active crown thread in here now, some good info and comments here

14 hours ago, TommyLucchese said:

Hi all

Looking for modern advice on crown transplants.

I'm still very happy with my hair line result from Dr Feller 8 years ago, but now I'm starting to think about the crown.

I have a horizontal rectangular thin/patchy area that sometimes looks very full and others not so. Hair style and concealer has helped me for the last 10 years but I want to get this sorted out eventually.

I'm 31, from the UK, on propecia and minoxidil and have had one FUT with Dr Feller in July 2012.

So, what's the latest thinking on crowns? Is Dr Wong still considered the best? Is mid 30s too young? 

Thanks

You could share some pictures though.

Official representative of Eugenix Hair Sciences

Dr. Arika Bansal & Dr. Pradeep Sethi

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5crlGyTac2hlU1gHneADzQ

• Administrators

Dr. Wong is excellent. Dr. Konior has had some impressive crown results as of late. That said, I generally feel like the crown shouldn’t be touched unless everything else has been restored. You wanna keep enough donor supply. BHT is an option, but I’ve never seen it in person. Concealers while not ideal, do fix the issue and can delay hair transplants for a long time. Can you post pics?

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Thanks for the replies everyone. A little hesitant to post pics but maybe nearer the time I will.

I'm hoping that with the meds and my rebuilt hairline with Dr Feller that in 5 years it'll still only be some crown work that needs doing. I'd rather not wait until there's severe loss because that will hopefully be a long way down the road...

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon