Can I expect new hair growth past 8/9 months following FUE?..

Ok so I just wanted to ask what you guys out there real experiences have been following having an FUE procedure with regards to regrowth time frames..

Most material I have found online is suggesting that by about 9 months you would have sprouted almost all your implanted FU's and pretty much already have the bulk of your total yield, that there will be very minimal change onwards towards 12 months as far as density numbers, mainly just maturing.

I'm asking this as I'm approaching 9 months and I'm a quite worried about my overall yield, even more so as I know that I have a limited donor area to use for a high Norwood case, probably a NW6 image.gif.dda89316b4fe903052177d4b645d4cc8.gif
I had planned to work back towards my crown in a 2nd procedure as part my initial 2 stage plan from the start, now I'm worried about not reaching anywhere near my goals...

So I'd be very interested to hear genuine experiences and educated opinions on regrowth time frames...

Thanks everyone.

Please see the following: 

By the 9th month, approximately 90 – 100% of the hairs have “popped” through the scalp, and most of the changes of a hair transplant from that point forward are due to maturation.

I had 3622 grafts to my front half, and exactly 8 months and 2 weeks post op now.

I’d rather not name the clinic (it wasn’t in Turkey) at the moment as the fact is I’ve not yet reached my full result point in time. So I don’t want myself or others to judge too early despite obviously worrying myself right now.

I did have a great experience there, very friendly, very professional team, and extremely clean work.

I’m just really hoping for a good yield as it’s pretty critical with my overall donor supply.

E71C1479-5C6F-4031-B84F-E3163AD8BE3A.thumb.jpeg.04fdd9245334814025676d5c3c416139.jpeg7618B16D-1F5C-43D9-B9E2-C52DBFEDEB30.thumb.jpeg.f88c8186a3b9501367b1622dd7a4d358.jpeg89660864-116B-49EF-9192-F64B3A26D107.thumb.jpeg.b6bf5060fc31294b672b9ae9e724526a.jpeg029E57DF-A546-4ECC-B6BA-8217030B0660.thumb.jpeg.58c848aa78a6b739cb47e8da6fb2e345.jpeg9D9B6ED8-3298-4F01-8A0E-BBE3E8343248.thumb.jpeg.7bc2463238a8934d2550831967218ed6.jpeg

Edited by Lukey13

Was this done in one sitting? A pre-op and post-op pic would help a lot. I don’t want to put you down but I highly doubt this will change much by 12 months.

hows the donor look? Hopefully there’s enough back there to repair if you need to.

Would love to see a pre-op/post-op pic.  I know many HT patients think they'll fix their frontal third in one pass then move on to the mid-scalp and crown in subsequent procedures, but every one of my transplants had to address gaps in the front.  Also, transplanted hair will rarely look acceptable at that short of a length.  You'll need the shingled layering effect you get from a longer hair style.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

• Administrators

I agree I would love to see some pre-op pics. Judging from your crown, it looks like you might’ve been a Norwood 5/6. I see a clear line where the terminal hair ends, which is why I’m making those assumptions.  If my assumptions are correct, you have a satisfactory result, even with short hair looks pretty good.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Thanks very much for everyone replies so far, it’s nice to get some feedback from guys who know what they are looking at and talking about.

I will get some Pre-Op and Post-Op pics up asap, as I need to retrieve them from a couple different devices first..

to answer your question Tbcruz, yes the 3622 grafts were done in one procedure across 2 days. About 1500 were done on the first day, and the rest on the second.

42 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

I agree I would love to see some pre-op pics. Judging from your crown, it looks like you might’ve been a Norwood 5/6. I see a clear line where the terminal hair ends, which is why I’m making those assumptions.  If my assumptions are correct, you have a satisfactory result, even with short hair looks pretty good.

Hi Melvin, thanks for the reply. Your right I’d probably say I was a Norwood 5 going 6 tbh as I pretty much had nothing substantial left on top, nothing that would add to the aesthetic of a HT anyway.

Melvin I researched your case a while back and I believed I had a very similar case of loss to you. Being that you had fine hair also.

Your results appear to have been fantastic, and tbh was quite a motivator for me to set out on getting a plan together for a procedure myself.

I understood that you had around 5500 grafts transplanted is that right? Those were similar numbers to what I thought I might be able to achieve.. And what got suggested in my consultations, hence the added motivation.

Do you have any photos you might please share showing how far you got following your first op, along with some of the basic details?
I wasn’t able to find these in your link but I’d be really interested to see them, and greatly appreciate it too. Thanks

I would like to see what the recipient area looks like with more hair length...I think it would look like more coverage or density.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Lukey13 said:

Hi Melvin, thanks for the reply. Your right I’d probably say I was a Norwood 5 going 6 tbh as I pretty much had nothing substantial left on top, nothing that would add to the aesthetic of a HT anyway.

Melvin I researched your case a while back and I believed I had a very similar case of loss to you. Being that you had fine hair also.

Your results appear to have been fantastic, and tbh was quite a motivator for me to set out on getting a plan together for a procedure myself.

I understood that you had around 5500 grafts transplanted is that right? Those were similar numbers to what I thought I might be able to achieve.. And what got suggested in my consultations, hence the added motivation.

Do you have any photos you might please share showing how far you got following your first op, along with some of the basic details?
I wasn’t able to find these in your link but I’d be really interested to see them, and greatly appreciate it too. Thanks

Actually, I don't have fine hair at all, my hair is thick. Below are my donor characteristics by @Parsa Mohebi, MD keep in mind my donor density was 1.7 after having two surgeries. 

image.png

If you have fine hair you should not expect to have a similar result as mine. Second photo is what my hair looked like after my first procedure of 1,800 grafts, and the last picture is how my hair looked at 3,900 grafts. Keep in mind, my hair is styled in a way that gives the "illusion of density," currently your hair is short, so it's impossible for it to look as good. 

Screen Shot 2020-06-24 at 4.07.20 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-06-24 at 4.18.04 PM.png

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

6 hours ago, Lukey13 said:

Ok so I just wanted to ask what you guys out there real experiences have been following having an FUE procedure with regards to regrowth time frames..

Most material I have found online is suggesting that by about 9 months you would have sprouted almost all your implanted FU's and pretty much already have the bulk of your total yield, that there will be very minimal change onwards towards 12 months as far as density numbers, mainly just maturing.

I'm asking this as I'm approaching 9 months and I'm a quite worried about my overall yield, even more so as I know that I have a limited donor area to use for a high Norwood case, probably a NW6 image.gif.dda89316b4fe903052177d4b645d4cc8.gif
I had planned to work back towards my crown in a 2nd procedure as part my initial 2 stage plan from the start, now I'm worried about not reaching anywhere near my goals...

So I'd be very interested to hear genuine experiences and educated opinions on regrowth time frames...

Thanks, of everyone.

I had a drastic change on the 14th mo after the transplantation procedure. By the 9th month, I didn't have the optimum density intended during the procedure. It was only by the 14th month that I felt completely satisfied. Therefore, personally, I believe that it does take an average of 12 months for the full density to be visible. However, it is also subjective as I have seen multiple patients who have experienced a direct growth of the transplanted hair.

Official representative of Eugenix Hair Sciences

Dr. Arika Bansal & Dr. Pradeep Sethi

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5crlGyTac2hlU1gHneADzQ

10 minutes ago, Gabreille Nelson Mukhia said:

I had a drastic change on the 14th mo after the transplantation procedure. By the 9th month, I didn't have the optimum density intended during the procedure. It was only by the 14th month that I felt completely satisfied. Therefore, personally, I believe that it does take an average of 12 months for the full density to be visible. However, it is also subjective as I have seen multiple patients who have experienced a direct growth of the transplanted hair.

Hi, thanks very much for your response to my thread that is a reassuring comment to read and certainly gives me more hope. Especially coming from someone who has actually had a procedure with a slightly different recovery time than what's generally regarded.
Can I ask  did you have any of your recovery documented online, or any photos?

And was it that you had actually noticed any new hairs had grown around 14 months, or just a general thickening of the existing transplanted hairs?

Thanks again for the reply, I wonder how many other people out there have experienced something similar despite the '12 month' template...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lukey13 said:

Hi, thanks very much for your response to my thread that is a reassuring comment to read and certainly gives me more hope. Especially coming from someone who has actually had a procedure with a slightly different recovery time than what's generally regarded.
Can I ask  did you have any of your recovery documented online, or any photos?

And was it that you had actually noticed any new hairs had grown around 14 months, or just a general thickening of the existing transplanted hairs?

Thanks again for the reply, I wonder how many other people out there have experienced something similar despite the '12 month' template...

In fact I do have every month from the 4th month onwards documented. That's how I was able to keep track of the increase in density. It is also on my thread by the way where I have posted my story along with the pictures. I did see new hair growth by the 12th month also. I was a late bloomer with regards to the results. Nonetheless, I got a really good and satisfying density when I did. So I wouldn't want you to get worried either. It is normal for some people to have a little delay in growth. 

• Like 1

Official representative of Eugenix Hair Sciences

Dr. Arika Bansal & Dr. Pradeep Sethi

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5crlGyTac2hlU1gHneADzQ

15 minutes ago, Gabreille Nelson Mukhia said:

In fact I do have every month from the 4th month onwards documented. That's how I was able to keep track of the increase in density. It is also on my thread by the way where I have posted my story along with the pictures. I did see new hair growth by the 12th month also. I was a late bloomer with regards to the results. Nonetheless, I got a really good and satisfying density when I did. So I wouldn't want you to get worried either. It is normal for some people to have a little delay in growth. 

Thanks very much for the encouraging words Nelson, just watching a couple of your videos now.

You really have had a fantastic result, I would never be able to tell you had a transplant... The density and volume is amazing, I would be honestly be happy with even half of the hair you have now!

Thanks very much for the encouragement, it's so worrying when you don't have heavy donor reserves in the bank!

• Like 1

• Administrators

@Gabreille Nelson Mukhia excellent post.

My advice is to start growing out your hair, you’re really gonna notice a drastic change once you’re able to layer your hair to cover your scalp. 

• Thanks 1

View my thread

Here are my photos showing pre-op and immediately after.
I understand the advice on trying to grow it longer to try and help the look of layering, except my hairline right in the centre and on my left side just doesn’t seem to have enough substance in it yet for it to look enough yet even from front on.

Obviously my crown will stand out even more during growing out but my initial plan was to grown the hair out, shave the back and sides short, and sweep everything straight back regardless of crown area being visible.

Im really hoping that there will be further improvements that will allow me to do this.

3E719F95-9926-4F88-A0A1-3A41A1C48B9E.thumb.jpeg.cdf0a5389dc806ef2d84336e60ae68dd.jpegB69C7DFF-5A4A-4207-9F60-7ECEFA69357D.thumb.jpeg.b2c629027db9519f4b8ceb377392d8d8.jpeg5B1D0B9C-2F1C-45DA-B68E-149FB1324F14.thumb.jpeg.d4d11003ffa386440bb57012fa8f6783.jpeg2AED8D57-993D-4425-8B33-AC11F42A53B8.thumb.jpeg.d841cddc5e2cabcf641f18edc52ac25b.jpeg21219EED-1B26-4B00-8B14-9E5F00EE02F9.thumb.jpeg.8d3032c2c1291696e4796c2e6f63f3ca.jpegC17045A8-B0DF-4714-832F-1E807450EBFD.thumb.jpeg.9ebdd6c9d795e42369c90a8449673054.jpeg59CC08E1-9D5B-4743-A803-AF97A7BD037E.thumb.jpeg.b1ae7733dda8f8650704895b0561fab9.jpeg

77FF4E56-38C2-4705-A467-C0573B64FC46.jpeg

Total FU’s :
            D1, D2, Total, Hairs.
1 Hair 116 300 416 416
2 Hairs 669 1103 1772 3544
3 Hairs 666 574 1240 3720
4 Hairs 127 61 188 752
5 Hairs 6 6 30
Total FU’s 1584 2038 3622 8462

Edited by Lukey13

• Administrators

Thanks for sharing, 

I have to say after seeing your pre-op, it looks like you’ve got a good result so far. Once the hair grows longer, it will layer over any weak spots in the hairline.

Keep in mind, your hairs are still sprouting and will continue to do so for the next two months. I’m very impressed with your results, given your hair loss and fine hair. 

A1AEC2D8-E153-4E60-98D1-E33966A2677B.jpeg

View my thread

I am of the same opinion as @Tbcruz I believe that little can change from the ninth to the twelfth month in terms of regrowth, in the sense that everything that had to sprout, has sprouted, it could be that there will be an improvement in terms of thickening but that  snack other hair, I doubt.

I agree with @Tbcruz and @Egy. There will be slight improvement, but no drastic changes. This is why it is a big risk to have an fue procedure with so many grafts. Given the hit or miss nature of FUE, if the yield is poor so much of your precious donor is at stake. Hopefully you haven't depleted your donor to the point where a strip can't be taken for repair. That being said, like mentioned by @Melvin-Moderator this is still decent improvement and when it layers it will change your look a lot.

Edited by jmghair

It’s interesting to hear the different opinions between differing experiences I guess, and as to wether fu’s would have finished sprouting yet or not... obviously I’l be hoping for more as you described Melvin.
I’l add some photos of my donor area later too.

How many more FU’s in the current recipient area would you say I’d need to just about be able achieve a natural appearance?

Im pretty sure I will be tapping into beard hair as I have a pretty strong supply and always have to be clean shaved for work anyway..

Some stills from a video clip off my phone..

There is already a little scar on the back of my head almost right in the middle so I know the small small patch in that spot is from that scar and been there for years.
B110BF78-CFC8-4DDA-BDB2-7110360A29B7.thumb.png.8cd3810369ff4dcb8a015995a214e48f.pngB4D24EFE-C13B-4253-879D-A83D091B3B7E.thumb.png.d6e7a7f00a664bcc5380334916b3287f.png5850146E-8AF3-4788-8886-87AEC4F3E3A9.thumb.png.69da06951ba98149e5b28daa63d75ac8.png

Here are some also that show my donor immediately after shaving down to zero, no guard fitted with open blade.. so very very short.

These were taken 2 days ago.

On a positive note no-one at my work has seemed to notice nor ever mentioned anything about my donor area even with it this short.
If they did they would most certainly say so, which I know for a fact as people at my work are just ruthless to each other to be honest.

So that’s been a good thing.

DFFDB788-C3CB-4C96-92A7-0A15AABBC9BC.thumb.jpeg.3b05694a113d2c43ecb50672956711ee.jpeg28542E9D-6DF5-4E2E-99EC-F37A1CA798BF.thumb.jpeg.fe6ee3349abdc1bc61e5b100a4c53668.jpeg6AFA2712-AEA0-404A-95F4-C0FE8097B406.thumb.jpeg.27537db50a7cad782bd6654936498ac4.jpegE91A8EF4-207B-417A-99C7-E409112C240D.thumb.jpeg.9d425f6a06d84d43e273358a49dd36f5.jpeg44D10D0F-156B-4BBE-A5DF-6F9A6EC2EB07.thumb.jpeg.4e04734e06113e754cd13f578576481c.jpeg

Donor looks mighty good!  I don't think I'd be able to see the FUE scars if I was standing behind you at the grocery store.

• Like 1

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group