Dr Blake Bloxham - FUT 1500 Grafts - 3/13/20

Irry88

Hi, so now I'm back with a FUT procedure with Dr Blake Bloxham in Great Neck NY.

Had the surgery this morning.

A little about my problem... I had FUE in Turkey 6 years ago, but it didnt give me the density that I wanted. Sometimes it looked great, but then sometimes it would shed so bad that I could see my scalp. I dont know why I go through this process on a 4-6 month basis. Anyways recently i started lifting weights and losing fat, and I noticed even more shedding. Pics are attached....

Reason why i jumped into FUT instead of FUE again... my donor is looking some what thin already and I didn't want to compromise it more. Dr Bloxham recommended doing FUT which will allow my to get more grafts overtime vs doing FUE which will limit me and potentially leave my donor looking thin. He said I can do another 3700 FUT in the future if needed, but also is saying that he does not think I will go into an advanced hairloss pattern. But FUT is a good way to hedge our bets

Inked2020-02-23 14.16.27_LI.jpg

Inked2020-02-23 14.16.43_LI.jpg

Inked2020-02-23 14.24.02-1_LI.jpg

Inked2020-02-23 14.16.55-1_LI.jpg

2020-02-23 14.15.38.jpg

2020-02-23 14.15.47.jpg

2020-02-23 14.15.35-1.jpg

Todays post-surgery pic

Inked0_LI.jpg.a9072ab49628595aa8a8b5c8461a24df.jpgInkedblake1_LI.jpg.a8afa3b626fb5b7a6e6e2cb346353bdf.jpg

Edited by Irry88

• Administrators

Looks like you’re gonna have too much hair after this procedure lol. You had a pretty good head of hair before. I’ll be following this closely, Dr. Bloxham is a great doc.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I think Melvin is right lol. Your not going to need another ht for awhile it looks like.

how old are you? And how’s the scar look?

Thanks, I am 35. Scar is still wrapped up in the guaze but will post pics of it soon

• Administrators

This is also proof that you can go FUE first and then go FUT, although it's generally not recommended.

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Yea I would definitely have gone FUT first if I had the correct knowledge, unfortunately as much as I researched I did not research enough

Pic of my scar, day 1 after surgery

FBFA7303-6328-4921-A9BA-453E2974691A.jpeg

9 minutes ago, Abi28 said:

Looks good, hopefully it heals well.

Will you be able to cut your hair short like usual without the scar showing? 

Yes The doc said I would be able to do short cuts on the side

Looks good irry88. 

26 minutes ago, Curious said:

My opinion, you didn't need a transplant. This is poor long term planning, using too much donor now.

Maybe you are right, however, I’m 35... by now I would have seen some major recession if it was going to happen(this is what Dr Bloxham says as well)

my brother is not losing crown either and he is 2 years younger than me.

now, I still have 3700 grafts available for future surgery. So if I’m losing crown later, I can do that. 

im young man, I want to enjoy my youth. I waited ten years before getting my first transplant, those ten years were filled with stress of worrying about my hair. I’m sick of it 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Curious said:

I hope it all goes as planned.  The placement of your new grafts looks good.  For whatever it's worth, I lost a fairly substantial amount of hair in my 40's.

That’s exactly why I went FUT, just Incase.

• Like 1

• Valued Contributor

It’s looking really really good. That scar looks good, man. Whoever did your first procedure did thin you out a bit in your donor but it least it looked homogeneous and he gave you a really strong starting point in your recipient. You chose a really good doctor for your second procedure. I think come this time next year you’ll be sitting pretty.

7 minutes ago, Steeeve said:

It’s looking really really good. That scar looks good, man. Whoever did your first procedure did thin you out a bit in your donor but it least it looked homogeneous and he gave you a really strong starting point in your recipient. You chose a really good doctor for your second procedure. I think come this time next year you’ll be sitting pretty.

thanks man I appreciate your comment. 

yes that’s why I recommend FUT first to anyone thinking of a transplant. I think FUT and Then FUE would be a better choice.

• Like 1

• Valued Contributor
53 minutes ago, Irry88 said:

thanks man I appreciate your comment. 

yes that’s why I recommend FUT first to anyone thinking of a transplant. I think FUT and Then FUE would be a better choice.

I couldn’t agree more. Especially for guys with higher norwoods. I chose FUT for my first and I plan to max out strip before I move over to FUE. There are definitely guys who are pro FUE through and through and there are definitely doctors who are extremely proficient in getting higher yields than others with FUE but I don’t regret going FUT first. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Steeeve said:

I couldn’t agree more. Especially for guys with higher norwoods. I chose FUT for my first and I plan to max out strip before I move over to FUE. There are definitely guys who are pro FUE through and through and there are definitely doctors who are extremely proficient in getting higher yields than others with FUE but I don’t regret going FUT first. 

This.

Starting with FUT pretty much assures you of an additional 2-3000 more available lifetime grafts vs going straight to FUE from the beginning. That many grafts can provide some decent mid scalp, vertex or crown coverage, or greatly reinforce your hairline. It matters over the long haul. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pic of my scar day ten, staples removed.

3AC41DC5-C524-45EB-B629-AECC7E948E88.jpeg

• Administrators

Looks good, very thin. Be careful and don’t do anything to stretch it.

View my thread

On 3/13/2020 at 2:52 PM, Irry88 said:

Hi, so now I'm back with a FUT procedure with Dr Blake Bloxham in Great Neck NY.

Had the surgery this morning.

A little about my problem... I had FUE in Turkey 6 years ago, but it didnt give me the density that I wanted. Sometimes it looked great, but then sometimes it would shed so bad that I could see my scalp. I dont know why I go through this process on a 4-6 month basis. Anyways recently i started lifting weights and losing fat, and I noticed even more shedding. Pics are attached....

Reason why i jumped into FUT instead of FUE again... my donor is looking some what thin already and I didn't want to compromise it more. Dr Bloxham recommended doing FUT which will allow my to get more grafts overtime vs doing FUE which will limit me and potentially leave my donor looking thin. He said I can do another 3700 FUT in the future if needed, but also is saying that he does not think I will go into an advanced hairloss pattern. But FUT is a good way to hedge our bets

Inked2020-02-23 14.16.27_LI.jpg

Inked2020-02-23 14.16.43_LI.jpg

Inked2020-02-23 14.24.02-1_LI.jpg

Inked2020-02-23 14.16.55-1_LI.jpg

2020-02-23 14.15.38.jpg

2020-02-23 14.15.47.jpg

2020-02-23 14.15.35-1.jpg

Your incision site is looking good. As Melvin said, continue to be careful with it so that it has a chance to mature as a thin scar. 

whats your age? Are you on fin? Do you plan to wear your back and sides longer moving forward? I imagine the FUT scar would be visible at the length you have in the preop pics.