Did You Guys Experience Hair Shedding From Minoxidil?

• Administrators

Like the title says how many of you guys experienced hair shedding from minoxidil and when did it subside?

Does Your Hair Shed From Rogaine?

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I did not, not to an extent I noticed anything at least. Going to get a pill prescription soon so hopefully I can avoid it with that as well.

Link to what I did to grow my hair back without a transplant. 2 year update. 

Yup!

The past 2 weeks I’ve shed about 30-50 hairs a day with shower/shampooing and I believe it’s because I stopped Minoxidil 1.5 months ago as I wanted to see if I could try another more natural topical (Zix) and if I would loose any hair gains from my microneedling & Minox routine...and I do think it’s a slightly thinner in my crown due to this. I also noticed that when I was using Minoxidil foam the hairs on my forearm and knuckles was much more and thicker and longer...and now shed as well....I’m considering getting back on it but not looking forward to the effing dandruff flakes from it.

At least now I know definitively that stopping Minoxidil for more than a month that some gains from my microneedling & Minox routine would lessen gains.

Edited by CosmoKramer

Some shedding does occur And did.  Usually, this is why some folks freak out first 1-3 months of use.  They think rogaine made them lose hair so they give up.  Little do folks know it takes a full year for hair cycles yo adjust to rogaine and show you it’s max potential if it is working for you.  Once you start, you need to commit for year unless you are allergic to it.  

Shedding is quite common at the beginning.  Many freak out and stop all together not realizing this is normal.  The body is trying to figure out what's happening and will shed the hair.  Once it figures out the new agent is trying to help, retention begins.  Recommended use, twice a day, (you're getting 100% of the medication). Most will do it once a day as it is labor intensive, (you still get 90% of the medication). The medication tends to be effective for about 7 years and then loses some of its steam.  Many think it's not longer working and stop all together as they'll note some shedding.  Don't stop.  Those who do will shed drastically.

Last summer I bought for a couple of months some galenic minoxidil. I think it was a cheap product and I started to shed. I lost some of my gains but I regained what I lost in a couple of months using a high quality minoxidil.

• Administrators

I remember the first time I tried minoxidil back in 2008. I started my hair literally falling out in clumps. I got scared and stopped using it. My hair never recovered and actually got a lot worse afterwards. I still wonder how much hair I could have save had I kept up with it.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

On 12/7/2019 at 1:41 AM, Melvin-Moderator said:

I remember the first time I tried minoxidil back in 2008. I started my hair literally falling out in clumps. I got scared and stopped using it. My hair never recovered and actually got a lot worse afterwards. I still wonder how much hair I could have save had I kept up with it.

Hey Melvin, have you ever start using it again after that? If so, do you still use it?

I used the liquid form for years and never had issues with shedding, however,  when I switched to the 5% foam version I experienced a massive shed and it took approximately 15 months to resolve.

Currently I do not use any minoxidil products...just use low dose finasteride.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Quick question I asked in another thread.

If you are taking some other medication for the shedding, would I've to continue using it for life (along Minoxidil) or is it for few months? 

My dermatologist gave my a nanogen serum/mask/shampoo and they are all expensive here in Egypt. All together cost round 40 times the Minoxidil and has annoying schedule for me. I have no problem with the shampoo but knowing myself I won't continue with others more than a year at most.