Hair Transplant Surgeon Suggestions?

Seriously considering hair transplant surgery in the near future. Money isn't an issue, but I'm having a difficult time deciding on a surgeon. I've really gravitated towards Dr. Rahal because of his credibility and great looking hairlines. However, I've noticed some less than desirable results from some people on this forum, and now I'm second guessing. Is he still a great surgeon. any other surgeons I should be aware of? Just want a good result. 

Your donor is looking pretty thick! We actually have pretty similar hairlines. Some of Rahal's results are really great and it's hard to say how much stock should be put in those few subpar results. I do love his overall hairline aesthetic.

I'd echo the previous recommendations of Konior and Hasson, and I'd also check out Cooley as he's posted some really nice result videos lately. Konior in particular is extremely consistent and judicious with grafts, which is part of why I went with him ultimately.

Edited by RecessionProof

If under 40 I would seriously consider treatment (mainly fin) before going with a transplant. It’s important to stabilize your loss so you’re not chasing it with transplants. Looks like you have good donor and hair characteristics with relatively minor loss (nw 3). There’s lots of options. First I’d decide fut or fue. Then go from there. Plenty of good docs in North America and Europe. Find patient posted results that have similar loss and hair as u and with a hairline that you would like as your end result. IMO, each doc has their own philosophy regarding hairlines and some go a bit more aggressive in their designs than others. Good luck 

Thanks everyone for the responses! I should of clarified that I'm 23, and have been on fin for 2 years. My hair loss has completely stabilized. I've kept this recession since I started finasteride, and haven't noticed any more hair loss since then. Also, I've been on minoxidil for 6 months, and this has helped tremendously. I plan to never get off either medications. I would also like to add that I'm looking more into FUT over FUE because I want to get as many grafts as possible. I've heard that FUT grants higher survival of individual grafts over FUE. It sucks that I have to look into transplant, but the recession of my hair and thinning in front makes it IMPOSSIBLE for me to style my hair. I now wear hats almost everyday, I would like to stop doing that. Thanks for the responses everyone, I'm new to this site, so I'm not sure how to respond individually to each response. 

Edited by Jacuzzi

8 hours ago, CosmoKramer said:

You can respond to individual comments by first clicking on the ‘Quote’ link in any message and add your reply.

Good Luck in whatever you choose to do for your HT!

Thanks!

4 hours ago, Jacuzzi said:

How do you feel about Rahal?

I like him along Konior for your case actually. H&W are the best but tbh I don't think you are looking for a big amount of hair during HT (at least not yet) so I would take them and Hattingen from my recommendation (unless you are more interested in  Europe) 

1 hour ago, harry_potter1 said:

I like him along Konior for your case actually. H&W are the best but tbh I don't think you are looking for a big amount of hair during HT (at least not yet) so I would take them and Hattingen from my recommendation (unless you are more interested in  Europe) 

H&W don’t just do mega sessions, my last FUT was about 660 grafts to the hairline, excellent results 

22 hours ago, Jacuzzi said:

Thanks everyone for the responses! I should of clarified that I'm 23, and have been on fin for 2 years. My hair loss has completely stabilized. I've kept this recession since I started finasteride, and haven't noticed any more hair loss since then. Also, I've been on minoxidil for 6 months, and this has helped tremendously. I plan to never get off either medications. I would also like to add that I'm looking more into FUT over FUE because I want to get as many grafts as possible. I've heard that FUT grants higher survival of individual grafts over FUE. It sucks that I have to look into transplant, but the recession of my hair and thinning in front makes it IMPOSSIBLE for me to style my hair. I now wear hats almost everyday, I would like to stop doing that. Thanks for the responses everyone, I'm new to this site, so I'm not sure how to respond individually to each response. 

I would not jump into a HT at your age - even though I did! and it was the biggest mistake of my life. I understand the frustration, fear and even confusion that comes with hair loss. Wait until your early 30's to see where your NW pattern is going and you will have a better overall idea of where to start and end with your restoration process - because, believe me its not a "one and done" deal. You can then determine if you should go conservative with your hairline or whether you can be more aggressive taking into consideration donor management for future surgeries as your hair loss progresses - and it will. Just my opinion from my past experience, but good luck to you. And by the way, as a Rahal patient, I can highly recommend him and his clinic, but others mentioned here are equally as ethical and talented, Konior, Hasson, Wong, Shapiro, Cooley, Gable - and others. Take your time, become fully knowledgeable about the entire process, research, research, research. This is a great forum for all of that.

Edited by home1212
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Aftermath said:

H&W don’t just do mega sessions, my last FUT was about 660 grafts to the hairline, excellent results 

Didn't mean to imply that , but I think mega-session is where they separate themselves from the others. 

I think with smaller surgeries, I would say you can get a similar result with probably lower cost with other doctors like Rahal. 

btw. I agree with @home1212   that it is better to wait till early 30's, although I can understand that this is the "best years of your life" and you want to enjoy your hair. So there is that. 

3 hours ago, home1212 said:

I would not jump into a HT at your age - even though I did! and it was the biggest mistake of my life. I understand the frustration, fear and even confusion that comes with hair loss. Wait until your early 30's to see where your NW pattern is going and you will have a better overall idea of where to start and end with your restoration process - because, believe me its not a "one and done" deal. You can then determine if you should go conservative with your hairline or whether you can be more aggressive taking into consideration donor management for future surgeries as your hair loss progresses - and it will. Just my opinion from my past experience, but good luck to you. And by the way, as a Rahal patient, I can highly recommend him and his clinic, but others mentioned here are equally as ethical and talented, Konior, Hasson, Wong, Shapiro, Cooley, Gable - and others. Take your time, become fully knowledgeable about the entire process, research, research, research. This is a great forum for all of that.

I appreciate your response. However, I literally wear a hat everyday because its impossible to style my hair. I've worn a hat for the last 3 years every single day no matter what time of day it is. I shaved my head from 19-21 and absolutely hated it, and ended wearing a hat out despite shaving. I was mocked by people, and hated looking at myself everyday. It crumbled my self esteem and optimism. I know it would be best to wait until my thirties, but I really need this for my self now. I fully understand I will need more transplants in the future as my hair loss progresses. Regardless, I will take into account about the things you've mentioned. I'am also determined to stay on finasteride and minoxidil forever, and upgrade to dutasteride if fin stops working. Thank you for your insightful response! 

2 hours ago, harry_potter1 said:

Didn't mean to imply that , but I think mega-session is where they separate themselves from the others. 

I think with smaller surgeries, I would say you can get a similar result with probably lower cost with other doctors like Rahal. 

btw. I agree with @home1212   that it is better to wait till early 30's, although I can understand that this is the "best years of your life" and you want to enjoy your hair. So there is that. 

Its true, I still have a lot of my 20's left, don't want to be the bald guy. 

Edited by Jacuzzi

3 hours ago, home1212 said:

I would also like to know why the HT at a young age was the biggest mistake of your life? Would really like to hear about that if its okay with you. 

3 hours ago, Jacuzzi said:

I appreciate your response. However, I literally wear a hat everyday because its impossible to style my hair. I've worn a hat for the last 3 years every single day no matter what time of day it is. I shaved my head from 19-21 and absolutely hated it, and ended wearing a hat out despite shaving. I was mocked by people, and hated looking at myself everyday. It crumbled my self esteem and optimism. I know it would be best to wait until my thirties, but I really need this for my self now. I fully understand I will need more transplants in the future as my hair loss progresses. Regardless, I will take into account about the things you've mentioned. I'am also determined to stay on finasteride and minoxidil forever, and upgrade to dutasteride if fin stops working. Thank you for your insightful response! 

Its true, I still have a lot of my 20's left, don't want to be the bald guy. 

I was 26. I’m now 38, have had a few procedures (through choice not necessity after the first H&W procedure) and it’s the best thing I’ve ever done genuinely. I completely sympathise and feel you, I was exactly the same with hair loss and mine also started at 18. Now my hair is literally better than it’s EVER been

For some reason this site is weird with links and it redirects you to the thread you’re actually in, but if you want to see where I am right now then google search

Dr Hasson 660 hairline grafts update

and go to page 5

Edited by Aftermath

35 minutes ago, Aftermath said:

I was 26. I’m now 38, have had a few procedures (through choice not necessity after the first H&W procedure) and it’s the best thing I’ve ever done genuinely. I completely sympathise and feel you, I was exactly the same with hair loss and mine also started at 18. Now my hair is literally better than it’s EVER been

For some reason this site is weird with links and it redirects you to the thread you’re actually in, but if you want to see where I am right now then google search

Dr Hasson 660 hairline grafts update

and go to page 5

Your results are INCREDIBLE. I would have never been able to tell that you've dealt with hair loss with those results! I actually have an online Skype consultation with H&W next week so I'm looking forward to that. Thanks for your response! 

1 minute ago, Jacuzzi said:

Your results are INCREDIBLE. I would have never been able to tell that you've dealt with hair loss with those results! I actually have an online Skype consultation with H&W next week so I'm looking forward to that. Thanks for your response! 

Thank you. Yes I’m happy, I’ve had experiences with other transplant doctors in the past and in all honesty there’s no comparison, if you’re willing to travel and you’re not on a tight budget, H&W are the best clinic out there imo

Just now, Aftermath said:

Thank you. Yes I’m happy, I’ve had experiences with other transplant doctors in the past and in all honesty there’s no comparison, if you’re willing to travel and you’re not on a tight budget, H&W are the best clinic out there imo

Just out of curiosity, are you taking fin or minoxidil? And are you still losing hair?

Just now, Jacuzzi said:

Just out of curiosity, are you taking fin or minoxidil? And are you still losing hair?

I’m on both. I take brand name propecia 1mg per day and use regaine foam one a day. I also take biotin and MSM. I haven’t seen any loss since 2007 thankfully. Feel free to inbox me if you have any questions, I’d be happy to help