Official Thread: Have you experienced side effects from finasteride? (Poll)

In your opinion, have you experienced side effects from finasteride?  

196 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Valued Contributor

Tonight I have just recommenced finasteride for the third time. I'm going to aim for 0.5mg MWF and then after two months increase the Friday to 1mg and then stay at this dose. After every twelve weeks I'll then have a one week wash out. Well that's the plan anyway. 👍

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gatsby said:

Tonight I have just recommenced finasteride for the third time. I'm going to aim for 0.5mg MWF and then after two months increase the Friday to 1mg and then stay at this dose. After every twelve weeks I'll then have a one week wash out. Well that's the plan anyway. 👍

Gatsby, wishing you all the best trying it. Have you thought about potentially getting on the topical versions to reduce sides you may have had in the past? 

I think a new treatment cannot come soon enough with how we're dealing with this problem with accidental treatments from 20+ years ago. 

• Like 1

On 9/4/2022 at 11:41 AM, GoliGoliGoli said:

He seems to react very strongly to anything even approaching mild criticism of Fin. I for one appreciate hearing peoples honest stories, both good and bad about this medication. 

Says the guy that's racked up 55 replies on this thread, and counting. He just occasionally drops by here for a little "story time." xD  

• Like 1

I think a lot of people misinterpret what the side effects are and use underlying conditions they are already predisposed to as an excuse.

i believe the people who have side effects are usually very minor, enough to the point it’s barely noticeable. Ex: slight testicular pain within the first, few, months of starting the drug, shedding, etc. which usually are the people who don’t care enough to post about it.

i think the ones that speak the loudest are usually the ones who don’t actually have side effects and use the placebo effect as an excuse to berate the drug. 

there’s a lot of noise for something that is so minor in terms of actual side effects that it drowns out the real studies done. I remember reading more men reporting sexual side effects from the placebo group. And I remember the updated study of the 20+ year group who reported some side effects but at later stages of their life (50+). 

im not going to say what someone’s experience is going to be. But if you believe you have ANY side effects consult your doctor, make a plan whether that’s lower dosages, less frequency, or taking a test. Don’t give out false information saying that’s more harm than any good. There’s too much preconceived notions to how people perceive finasteride or dutasteride that don’t even understand how 5 alpha reductase and dht works in the body; yet alone the in scalp. 

just remember… if you are a young 20 year old with 0 experience sexually, do not claim the drug is causing you side effects. Consult your physician and rule out any underlying issues. A lot of these things are psychological. Make sure you speak to a professional and seek remedies; discontinuation of fin does not always correlate to “side effects” you experience. 

long story short… tl;dr - seek a medical professional to diagnose and evaluate your personal history and tolerance to the drug. Remember there are studies done between MANY variable groups from 0-20+ years. Make sure if you take ANY drug (prescribed) that you actually understand how it works. 

• Like 4

Follow my first hair transplant journey

3,252 Grafts a minimum of 6,712 hairs June 2022

9 minutes ago, Vann said:

long story short… tl;dr - seek a medical professional to diagnose and evaluate your personal history and tolerance to the drug. Remember there are studies done between MANY variable groups from 0-20+ years. Make sure if you take ANY drug (prescribed) that you actually understand how it works. 

Exactly, reading personal stories from other guys isn't going to dictate how YOUR story is going to play out. We all have our own unique physiology, genetics, lifestyle habits, pre-existing conditions. Which is why this topic should have just had the vote option, and not a reply. Its basically degenerated into something guys who are against finasteride use to scare other guys away from even trying it.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, ciaus said:

Exactly, reading personal stories from other guys isn't going to dictate how YOUR story is going to play out. We all have our own unique physiology, genetics, lifestyle habits, pre-existing conditions. Which is why this topic should have just had the vote option, and not a reply. Its basically degenerated into something guys who are against finasteride use to scare other guys away from even trying it.

And to an equal extent, it became a thread where guys who tolerate it well call those who have had significant side effects crazy and state that it’s all in their head. 

Like most things, the truth likely lies somewhere in the middle. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, yesplease said:

And to an equal extent, it became a thread where guys who tolerate it well call those who have had significant side effects crazy and state that it’s all in their head. 

Well you have both extremes. Some who will advocate for the drug and some who critic/reject the drug.

most of the time people do not truly understand the drug. But honestly, you are more likely to be vocal about something you disagree with and not see it objectively. 

I’ve seen kamran advocate for the drug based off his experience and the results from studies. 

I’ve seen other berate the drug (and anyone who speaks about their experience) because of stuff they have heard. The difference between the two is that one points out objective findings and another points out the subjective. 

the key difference is that the person reading should interpret what was said and make their own decision, do their own research, and apply the correct findings with what they have read to their own personal health while consulting a doctor. 

while it is good to give harmful warnings so people can research it themselves. It’s detrimental to the real studies and correct information that is available instead of the misinformation that is available. 

if you really want to know how to study this…look for any contradictions whether it’s the researcher, study group, company conducting the study, the relation they have towards patients, company, or other demographics (blind bias, double blind, etc.), hell even the people taking the drug. Do NOT rely on strangers from the internet to make decisions for you.

Edited by Vann

28 minutes ago, yesplease said:

Equals and middles hardly. I'm sure you sorted through the over 300 replies on this topic and put them neatly into their respective baskets to come up with that BS summary.

3 hours ago, ciaus said:

Says the guy that's racked up 55 replies on this thread, and counting. He just occasionally drops by here for a little "story time." xD  

Well, I just really like discussing the science! 😄

In all seriousness, I think we all obviously wish their was a side effect free drug we could all take to prevent hair loss. But like with so many other "cures" their is often a catch. Obviously some people think the side effects are so minimal that their is no catch with Fin, but I'm not convinced of that. But that's part of why I like "debating" it so I can see if I think my logic is sound or if their are good rebuttals. 

The Fin discussion also has a lot of parallels with other stuff going on in society regarding pharmaceutical products and their benefits and downsides, IE is the cure worse than the disease and is their proper regulatory oversight in the development of certain drugs, so I do find the topic very interesting. 

1 hour ago, ciaus said:

Equals and middles hardly. I'm sure you sorted through the over 300 replies on this topic and put them neatly into their respective baskets to come up with that BS summary.

Not sure why you are so adamant about this though. I readily admit that a lot of guys seem to tolerate Fin well (Even if I think their are side effects that go unnoticed such a kidney/liver/retinal issues). Whereas you take a hardcore stance apparently and deny that anyone suffers serious side effects? 

22 minutes ago, GoliGoliGoli said:

Not sure why you are so adamant about this though. I readily admit that a lot of guys seem to tolerate Fin well (Even if I think their are side effects that go unnoticed such a kidney/liver/retinal issues). Whereas you take a hardcore stance apparently and deny that anyone suffers serious side effects? 

Try to have more consideration for the guys battling hair loss than your personal ego and amateur enjoyment from 'debating' the science. We all know the more guys read about and dwell on the potential for side effects, the more likely they are to inadvertently generate side effect-like symptoms that have nothing to do with the actual drug. 

And you shamelessly play on that. 

I've always said if you think you are experiencing side effects go see medical professionals. Don't base your medical decisions on personal stories and clown 'debates' from online strangers.

1 minute ago, ciaus said:

Try to have more consideration for the guys battling hair loss than your personal ego and amateur enjoyment from 'debating' the science. We all know the more guys read about and dwell on the potential for side effects, the more likely they are to inadvertently generate side effect-like symptoms that have nothing to do with the actual drug. 

And you shamelessly play on that. 

I've always said if you think you are experiencing side effects go see medical professionals. Don't base your medical decisions on personal stories and clown 'debates' from online strangers.

Is this satire? The same could easily be said of you. You need to have more consideration for guys battling side effects from Fin (Especially those who suffer long term), and the people gaslighting them into saying it's all in their head. All I've ever really done is speak to the physiological functions DHT plays in the body, as backed up by peer reviewed studies. 

It's no surprise that cratering your levels of a male androgen would cause side effects. If anything it's amazing that people are able to tolerate it at all, but as I freely admit some people do tolerate it quite well it seems. 

Agreed that you should talk to a Dr if you have side effects. But at the end of the day you're insane if you base your personal health decisions on the opinions of any one doctor, or on the opinions of the medical industry as a whole. Countless examples of pharmaceuticals released into the public that only later are found to have severe side effects. I don't think its fearmongering or "shamelessly playing" on anything to point that out. 

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/new-drugs-found-cause-side-effects-years-after-approval-n757526

8 hours ago, Gatsby said:

why increase the Friday dosage? 1,5 a week(approximately 0.2 a day) has been shown to be effective

13 minutes ago, GoliGoliGoli said:

But at the end of the day you're insane if you base your personal health decisions on the opinions of any one doctor, or on the opinions of the medical industry as a whole. Countless examples of pharmaceuticals released into the public that only later are found to have severe side effects. I don't think its fearmongering or "shamelessly playing" on anything to point that out. 

How about posting a few links to your other forum 'debates' on some of these countless examples of other drugs? We need all the 'trust' we can get, since we can't trust any one doctor, or the pharmaceutical companies, or the medical industry as a whole. 

Or do you just have a particular interest in making sure guys don't sacrifice their hard-ons for a few more hairs? Get a life. And leave the debates to the professionals with medical training.

27 minutes ago, ciaus said:

How about posting a few links to your other forum 'debates' on some of these countless examples of other drugs? We need all the 'trust' we can get, since we can't trust any one doctor, or the pharmaceutical companies, or the medical industry as a whole. 

Or do you just have a particular interest in making sure guys don't sacrifice their hard-ons for a few more hairs? Get a life. And leave the debates to the professionals with medical training.

I think your attitude and how you carry yourself around here demonstrates a lot about you, and also probably your overall lack of satisfaction with life. Wish you the best 

I think people should listen to their body. When I was 22 I started experiencing bad insomnia which was very unlike me at the time. I could sleep all day through an air raid.

Went to 2 gp's, did some blood tests which were normal. Told me it was in my head, one suggested reading a book about how to sleep. Family told me I was overthinking.

Year later went back to 3rd gp. He got bloodwork done again and put me for ecg.

Then I got a call saying to come in for a Lyme disease test. He had noticed a blip on my heart beat on the graph.

It came back positive. 3 courses of antibiotics and 8 months later I finally returned to normal. 

Lyme disease can cause sleep problems.

It wasn't in my head at all

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, jr1986 said:

I think people should listen to their body. When I was 22 I started experiencing bad insomnia which was very unlike me at the time. I could sleep all day through an air raid.

Went to 2 gp's, did some blood tests which were normal. Told me it was in my head, one suggested reading a book about how to sleep. Family told me I was overthinking.

Then I got a call saying to come in for a Lyme disease test. He had noticed a blip on my heart beat on the graph.

It came back positive. 3 courses of antibiotics and 8 months later I finally returned to normal. 

Perfect example. You knew their was something off with you, but 2 Dr's couldn't determine what it was even after taking blood tests. They basically sent you home with nothing other than a book recommendation. 

Lesson: Doctors are great when you have a broken arm or cancer. It's easily diagnosed and they immediately know the best path forward. But for trickier more ambiguous stuff they are basically useless. No one else cares as much about you as you do. Props for going to the 3rd GP and not giving up. A lot of people would've just lived with Lyme Disease after getting basically blown off by the first 2 GPs. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, GoliGoliGoli said:

I think your attitude and how you carry yourself around here demonstrates a lot about you, and also probably your overall lack of satisfaction with life. Wish you the best 

Mr. 60 posts on just this topic in recent months talking about life balance. 9_9 What you're really wishing is that no one sees through your BS.  

In the meantime, keep the lyme disease reports, medical industry conspiracies, and finasteride speculations coming! 

22 minutes ago, ciaus said:

Mr. 60 posts on just this topic in recent months talking about life balance. 9_9 What you're really wishing is that no one sees through your BS.  

In the meantime, keep the lyme disease reports, medical industry conspiracies, and finasteride speculations coming! 

My comment was not on life balance,  it was on your overall attitude that many others have commented on - you don't exactly exude positive energy mate.. 99% of my total posts come between the hours of 10am-5pm. Maybe find yourself a WFH job and your can decrease your obvious stress levels. You seem a bit on edge.

Edited by GoliGoliGoli

I have been doing .5 mg every other day for years now and I use a weekly  pill tray to keep an accurate count…am also on a number of other meds so the tray is very practical.

• Like 1

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

I know there's people on here who have shared their personal side affect stories and i personally applaud the genuine regular guys like Melvin and Adrian for their transparency on their issues with the medication but their great attitudes to recommend it to others to try save their hair. 

Myself, i'm literally on the strongest hair loss medication for DHT inhibition in the form of 0.5mg everyday, from the word go. I have experienced side affects and i continue to have some. The ones that abated were all detailed in my dedicated thread i did after around 12 months of use. I'm now well on my way to 2 years and can say that with working on my health and fitness, things probably feel even further improved because that was probably factoring into things as well. 

I also always advocate getting blood tests and ruling out any other underlying issues before starting if you have a high concern on issues around the medication and addressing any other medical issues. 

I try not to berate or talk down people who state they have side affects and believe they are genuine in nature generally, however there are some very clear and recent posts imo that are perhaps in serious need of the person seeing an actual medical professional for the issues they describe having stopped the medication. 

There's a way to put points across and be respectful in debate. Anybody who says side affects are guaranteed to affect you permanently are worthy of the same derision as somebody who claims side affects don't exist at all. However, everybody else that's actually sensible will realise that the truth is actually in between but also largely backed by scientific studies, some done over many years. Not to mention the interesting controlled studies showing that the incidence of "side affects" between placebo sugar pills and the actual medication was less than 2%. So clearly psychosomatic symptoms can affect people and we can clearly see in other literature that sometimes people believe to think certain things that manifest in a certain way. Anxiety for example is a big example of how people can manifest physical symptoms. 

This thread imo isn't comprehensive enough to really discuss the topic with the correct nuance and it's clear there's become two camps of opinion but equally as vocal. It's tough for people actually looking for objective and proper subjective opinions to find information as a result. 

I'm not even sure if now may be a good point to consider locking this thread @Melvin- Moderator

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jr1986 said:

Thats a great example of getting tests done. Which is why people should not put misinformation and spread it.

However, there are studies done because of these said misleading sources. With more groups in a placebo claiming the placebo side effects. There are plenty of research that has been done for this. Whether it is hairloss, renal issues, or how the drug functions on the body.

I think at this point if you truly believe in something, get a second opinion (or third). I did the same for my knee, I had a similar story about a doctor telling me the pain was in my head. 4 opinions later, 2 x rays, and an MRI I finally found the issue. It takes time and is never perfect, however, I at least exhausted all of my options before making any surgical approaches and did all my research to the best possible outcome, whether thats todays golden standard of treatment and what the next 20 years of research could provide after new studies are conducted and tested.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NARMAK said:

I know there's people on here who have shared their personal side affect stories and i personally applaud the genuine regular guys like Melvin and Adrian for their transparency on their issues with the medication but their great attitudes to recommend it to others to try save their hair. 

Myself, i'm literally on the strongest hair loss medication for DHT inhibition in the form of 0.5mg everyday, from the word go. I have experienced side affects and i continue to have some. The ones that abated were all detailed in my dedicated thread i did after around 12 months of use. I'm now well on my way to 2 years and can say that with working on my health and fitness, things probably feel even further improved because that was probably factoring into things as well. 

I also always advocate getting blood tests and ruling out any other underlying issues before starting if you have a high concern on issues around the medication and addressing any other medical issues. 

I try not to berate or talk down people who state they have side affects and believe they are genuine in nature generally, however there are some very clear and recent posts imo that are perhaps in serious need of the person seeing an actual medical professional for the issues they describe having stopped the medication. 

There's a way to put points across and be respectful in debate. Anybody who says side affects are guaranteed to affect you permanently are worthy of the same derision as somebody who claims side affects don't exist at all. However, everybody else that's actually sensible will realise that the truth is actually in between but also largely backed by scientific studies, some done over many years. Not to mention the interesting controlled studies showing that the incidence of "side affects" between placebo sugar pills and the actual medication was less than 2%. So clearly psychosomatic symptoms can affect people and we can clearly see in other literature that sometimes people believe to think certain things that manifest in a certain way. Anxiety for example is a big example of how people can manifest physical symptoms. 

This thread imo isn't comprehensive enough to really discuss the topic with the correct nuance and it's clear there's become two camps of opinion but equally as vocal. It's tough for people actually looking for objective and proper subjective opinions to find information as a result. 

I'm not even sure if now may be a good point to consider locking this thread @Melvin- Moderator

All reasonably stated.

That said, I’m not sure that anyone has stated that side effects are guaranteed or permanent. In fact, both @GoliGoliGoli and I have acknowledged that many people do great on fin, with little to no issues and excellent hair retention. It’s more so a few vocal members that choose to be derogatory and dismissive of any stance other than “fin is harmless and if anyone has significant issues, it’s all in their head” takes. In this thread, anyway. 

I would also argue that the value of the literature that we do have for the use of fin for MPB is a bit overstated. At least in terms of convincingly proving that the medication cannot cause significant side effects, and establishing a true “real life” percentage of those affected. 

Finally, I don’t personally see the value of locking this thread. As you say, a sensible person can sift through the multiple viewpoints, experiences, facts and opinions presented by posters on this thread. Ultimately it should only enhance one’s ability to better assess their own path.