It gets worse.

Hd a HT with the Norton clinic, PoS doc put minigrafts in my temple points not many maybe 30 in each point, had a repair with Feller back in November, he dense packed the points and now I look worse than ever, the points look prepostorously unnatural and will get more so as the hair matures. Has anyone had this problem? I was thinking of lazer hair removal but I dont want to make things even worse.

Slaps

Your pictures look really good ! Must be the stage were the hair is coming through wirey and a bit patchy and may look odd compared to your natural hair , it took me 18 months for the transplanted hair to match my natural hair , but I was glad when it did !

Best to wait get some length to it bet it looks great in a few months

Ej

Slaps,

I agree with the others, give it some more time before looking into removal.

Spex, did Slaps give you permission to post his pics?, not wanting to cause trouble - just this was a concern of mine when the clinic took photos, I know you can't see his face but personally I would like to choose if I posted them or not.

Slaps --

Please hang in there, it'll be worth it in the end.

I had my transplant over ten months ago, and it really did not start to take shape until month eight. I'm now in month ten, and it's first really getting exciting for me.

I know it's incredibly difficult to imagine things improving right now, and it seems like nothing is happening, but you would be shocked how an awful lot of change can start to happen practically overnight. It really takes a long time though. Reading about the wait is a whole lot different than living through it. I also realize that you've had bad work in the past, so that really adds to your worries and concerns.

Even at seven months I was worried about my results, and now at ten plus months, the hair is really beginning to take shape.

I can't account for what your personal situation and expectations are, but I can just about guarantee you that you are going to look a million times better when all is said and done. By the way, I am also a Dr. Feller patient.

Again, hang in there, I bet at the one year mark you will feel completely different.

Thanks for the advice, reserve judgement for now. The few hairs that survived Norton's attempts were always darker and thicker even after 3 years. Cursed with almost albino white skin and very dark hair, plus, native hair is miniaturised/ing, I suspect the new hair will never match.

I'm far from a finished product, but at 5 months I was just starting to sprout. 4 months has shown a dramatic improvement and still more to come. So be patient. Your pics look great.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Slaps,

Welcome to our forum community.

If you only had your hair transplant in November, you are still fairly early in the growth process. Therefore, I agree with others who told you to reserve judgement at this early stage and to wait it out.

I also recommend however, that you contact Dr. Feller directly with any concerns and and let him guide you during this process just as we can try to help you as well.

If in the event you aren't satisfied with the results when all is said and done, I trust Dr. Feller will take good care of you to help you get the results you want.

Note: I will be moving this thread shortly to the "Hair Transplant Experiences and Surgeon Reviews" section of the forum shortly since it's more appropriate there.

Best wishes,

Bill

slaps, firstly your ht work from norton was not that bad considering other victims i have seen from that clinic. also your level of balding is really not that bad. in fact, your hair looks pretty good! that being said, 5 months out is far too early to consider your ht a failure. PLEASE give it the full 12-18 months to grow out and mature.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

As we all know camera settingsand flash can make photos tell all kinds of stories. The Norton work was appalling, all scars and practically no growth, what did grow looked like pubes growing from unnatural angles, not to mention they took a 1500 graft strip and planted just 2-300, thus binning over 1000 grafts. If the Norton work looked in the flesh as it does in the above photos I would not have gone to see Dr Feller and had I not been misled by the Norton clinic I would not have has a HT to start with.

Hey Slaps

I'm pretty sure Dr.Feller must have told you that you will not see the final result for at least 12 to 15 months post op. I understand your frustration and it can be very difficult playing the waiting game. We all know the drill, you have to give it time. Its a long process but it will be worth it after seeing your results in another 7 or 8 months.

I'm currently 2 months post op and it is very tough waiting. The best advice I can give you is forget about the HT for now. Try and concentrate on other stuff and keep busy... If you are constantly looking in the mirror this will make it worse.

You have chosen a very good Doctor with a great track record. If you're unhappy with your results after 12 months then I would suggest doing something about it. In the meantime don't stress mate its not worth losing your hair over it! icon_wink.gif You'll be fine.

Always contact your Dr. first prior to lodging a complaint.

This paints the Dr. in a bad light before he/she has had an opportunity to address the problem & offer a possible solution.

Most of the coaltion Doctors here take great pride in thier work & should be given the opportunity to make it right if you are not satisfied.

I know In my business as a contractor I want my customers to give me that opportunity before lodging a complaint with the Registrar of Contractors.

Slaps,

Sorry to hear you are not fully satisfied at this stage, but do keep in mind that you are early on in the healing & growing process. Based upon the photos Spex posted, the work itself looks great and I must commend the overall design as well. Very nice framing!

Based on these photos, the prior Norton work doesn't look that bad, but since I have yet to see any of their work that isn't downright scary, I'll assume that photos just aren't "representative" (ie. not showing the poor angles, pitting, etc.).

As for laser hair removal - I would definitely not be that drastic until you can discuss one-on-one with Dr. Feller who did your surgery. If you are close to Spex, let him have a look at it, take some photos etc. as well.

As for posting your concerns prior to discussing with your doctor, remember that nobody knows your situation as well as your doctor. However, once you've discussed it with your doctor, there is absolutely nothing stopping you to reach out to others to get their opinion on what you are thinking, what the doctor said, etc. In fact, that's what this site is all about.

Just some thoughts.

M&M

1662 with Dr. Ron Shapiro - Spring 2006

1105 with Dr. Ron Shapiro - Fall 2009

M&M Weblog

Thanks, I will give things another 6 months. its tough having to put up with stares and snide comments, hopefully the hair will blend better eventually. To be fair to Dr Feller his work looks fabulous in certain lights, its just in bright or daylight conditions the HT stands out like a snowball in a coal bunker.

To be fair to Dr Feller his work looks fabulous in certain lights, its just in bright or daylight conditions the HT stands out like a snowball in a coal bunker.

not an uncommon conplaint with HTs at all.... hair characteristics are HUGE with HTs..

that said in 3 to 4 months time you should have a pretty good idea what its gonna look like in sunlight and bright lights... all the best man i truly hope it thickens up for you......

*** RESULTS WILL 100%, without a DOUBT, VARY***

No doubt he is in the wirey stage where the hair looks coarse and un natural. I have some photo's of me fromt hem and it tends to look very harsh .. However, this will soften!!

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

To be fair to Dr Feller his work looks fabulous in certain lights, its just in bright or daylight conditions the HT stands out like a snowball in a coal bunker.

Slaps,

This has nothing to do with Dr. Feller, but about the procedure as a whole.

Since most hair transplants don't restore "true density", but an illusion (50% of the original density or sometimes less), lighting and its direction on the scalp plays a major role in the appearance of the hair transplant at the time.

Take direct sunlight for example. If I'm facing the sun, my hairline looks extremely thick with no signs of thinning due to the shadow the light creates on my scalp. When the sun is behind me, my hair looks unusually thin. In rooms with normal lighting, my hair loos pretty good. But under strong florescent lighting, it can look thinner.

This is the nature of the beast with hair transplants unless you're one of the lucky few who are candidates for true density. That said, we have to determine whether or not this is better than being bald. For me, it definitely is.

Bill

Originally posted by Bill - Associate Publisher:

Slaps,

This has nothing to do with Dr. Feller, but about the procedure as a whole.

Since most hair transplants don't restore "true density", but an illusion (50% of the original density or sometimes less), lighting and its direction on the scalp plays a major role in the appearance of the hair transplant at the time.

Take direct sunlight for example. If I'm facing the sun, my hairline looks extremely thick with no signs of thinning due to the shadow the light creates on my scalp. When the sun is behind me, my hair looks unusually thin. In rooms with normal lighting, my hair loos pretty good. But under strong florescent lighting, it can look thinner.

This is the nature of the beast with hair transplants unless you're one of the lucky few who are candidates for true density. That said, we have to determine whether or not this is better than being bald. For me, it definitely is.

Bill

Bill ,

Does your hair look unatural under strong lighting? Is this one of the downsides of HT in general?

Originally posted by mrkneed:

Bill what do you mean when you say "one of the lucky fewe who are candidates for true density"?

Bill can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe what he's referring to is that only select patients who (a) have minimal hair loss, (b) have responded well to meds, © are of the right age ('more mature' perhaps?), and (d) their hair loss has stabilized and they are no longer concerned about future loss... are candidates for 'true density'.

Perhaps the list doesn't need to be quite that long, but in cases like this, Doctors can plant at 'true density' in the thinning / receding areas with 60, 70, 80, 90 grafts per cm2. Those of us that can't afford such a luxury must make do with compromises - the illusion for density with the trade-off that you will have more donor hair for down the road if you need it.

M&M

1662 with Dr. Ron Shapiro - Spring 2006

1105 with Dr. Ron Shapiro - Fall 2009

M&M Weblog

No patient can make a final opinion about the success of their procedure at the 5 month stage. The fact that you are seeing some action (growth) already is a good sign. Since this was your second surgery you should wait 12-15 months before making final grading of your hair transplantation procedure. Dr. Feller is a good doctor and has a strong history of tending to his patients needs and concerns. If you give him the proper chance I am confident he will work with you and help you reach your goals as long as they are realistic.

I read recently that Dr. Sharon Keene conducted a study which found the average hair density in a non-balding man's "hairline" is 50 fu/cm2.

The above being the case would mean true density in the hairline on average is 50 fu/cm2 as Slaps-loss is in the hairline only. Hopefully he may achieve true density, but I have my doubts about those figures; though hope it is the case as I recieved 50 fu/cm2.

Since this was your second surgery you should wait 12-15 months before making final grading of your hair transplantation procedure.

Does the fact it's a second surgery have a bearing on timelines?