It gets worse.

50/cm2 seems awfully low to me..I wonder what age bracket she's referencing. About 50% more than that would seem about right to me.

Anyways, OP should definitely be optimistic...5 months out...it's great that he even has appreciable growth! At this type of juncture the #1 defining trait of the hair is exactly what the gripe is, and a change in hair texture/caliber is quite possibly the #1 defining thing that will change over the next 6months.

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

Does your hair look unatural under strong lighting? Is this one of the downsides of HT in general?

jd,

I wouldn't say my hair looks unnatural under harsh lighting per say, just see-through. This is indeed the nature of the beast. I expect after my 4th hair transplant grows in, this see-through look under harsh lighting will be minimized.

Mrkneed,

"True density" simply refers to natural hair density prior to any hair loss. M&M did an excellent job explaining a potential candidate for such high density hair transplants.

Maxxy,

You are correct regarding the 51% average hairline density on the subjects ("normal" men without hair loss) Dr. Keene studied. The actual range however, was 38 to 78, clearly a pretty wide range that varies from patient to patient. I'm not sure the age range of the patients studied.

Remember however, that this is just the hairline, not the rest of the scalp.

Best wishes,

Bill

I'm not arguing these numbers at all:

You are correct regarding the 51% average hairline density on the subjects ("normal" men without hair loss) Dr. Keene studied. The actual range however, was 38 to 78, clearly a pretty wide range that varies from patient to patient. I'm not sure the age range of the patients studied.

38 - 78 fu/cm2 being the observed range in Dr. Keene's study. Let us take the highest of these numbers: 78 fu/cm2 being true density in the hairline of "normal" non-balding men.

As it's widely believed 50% will give you the illusion of density, does that mean 39 fu/cm2 is enough in the hairline?

If you recieve 50 fu/cm2 during transplant and taking into account maybe 10% of grafts will be lost (as a top estimate of lost grafts), that will leave you with 45 fu/cm2 in the hairline - resulting in more then enough to create an illusion of density? (remembering that I took the higher number of 78 fu/cm2)

Also, Bill, you pointed out that the study referred to the hairline only and not the rest of the scalp, where do you/and or the study feel that the hairline ends and the scalp starts? (if you know the barriers of the aforementioned study)

Lol, there's a lot of numbers above... sorry if it makes no sense (it does in my head), also, I'm not sure if I should have made a seperate post regarding this - I'm often in 2 minds, feel free to delete.

• 1 month later...
Originally posted by MrJobi:

No doubt he is in the wirey stage where the hair looks coarse and un natural. I have some photo's of me fromt hem and it tends to look very harsh .. However, this will soften!!

I personally feel this is misleading. Generally, from both personal experience and seeing other patient's results...if your hair grows in wirey/kinky/coarser or darker than native hairs, it does not change.

I'm about 4yr post op fue, had most of my grafts removed via laser for this very reason...the ones that are left are definately still unnatural looking.

Do you have a link to your pix? I'd love to see the change, if indeed those characteristics did minimize partially or completely, I'm curious to what helped, did you apply anything to your head during the growth phase?

Originally posted by spex:

Hi Maxxy, Slaps pics were already posted online - i just copied them over here so i wouldn't have thought he had a problem with me reposting them here - if he does i am more than happy to remove them icon_cool.gif

Spex I have much respect for you and Dr Feller but I do agree with Max here. I have seen this done before and it always raises a red flag with me. I think permission for anybody to to post a patients pictures should be granted before they are posted.

4374 grafts-7/2/2008-Dr Rahal

485 singles

2336 doubles

1526 triples

16 quads

9809 total hairs

I don't, especially if a guy is making a negative post. Personally, I want to see for myself and make my own mind up, some people see things that no one else does and think they have poor work done, then you see the photos and it's an awesome transplant that most guys would cut their right bollock of for, so I disagree...if the photos are already online especially, what's the problem exactly?

If no photos posted online then I agree.

--------------------------------------

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Feller

Dr Feller Jan '09 2000 grafts

Dr Lorenzo Dec '15 2222 grafts

Slaps I have a suggestion, bin it if you don't think it helps but why not lighten your hair considerably? Or get some highlights which will add some other contast? It sounds like the issue is that the transplanted hairs don't look the same as the rest of your hair which is a uniform colour and dark. Making the rest of your hair less uniformly coloured and lighter might help while you wait out the next few months?

• 3 months later...

Hey spex,

Do to the fact that I have an extremely similiar situation as slaps, I was wondering if he is happy yet? or how Dr. Feller addressed the situation? I know slaps is about 4 months ahead of me;therefore, it would be comforting to hear he looks good at this point, or the Dr. did right by him because I'm still unhappy with Feller's repair at 6 months,and hoping I'm happy at 10. Let me know.