James A. Harris, MD ARTAS 2300 grafts

This 41 year old patient chose to have James A. Harris, MD perform his hair transplant using the ARTAS.

Patient had 2300 grafts with excellent results.  Patient is completely satisfied.

JB Front Before 1 .jpg

JB Front AFter.jpg

JB Left Before .jpg

JB Left After.jpg

JB Right Before 2.jpg

JB Right  After.jpg

JB Top Before 1.1 .jpg

JB Top After.jpg

Edited by James A. Harris, MD, FACS

Dr. Harris is Recommended on the Hair Transplant Network

This doesn't look like anything changed except that he grew his hair out. Do you have any immediate post op pics?

I will admit I don't think I've ever seen a Great or even good result from ARTAS.

12/2017 - 3500 Grafts- Dr. Emrah Cinik

Follow my progress:

11 hours ago, lukeyb1687 said:

This doesn't look like anything changed except that he grew his hair out. Do you have any immediate post op pics?

I will admit I don't think I've ever seen a Great or even good result from ARTAS.

Agreed. It's an insult that surgeons still pedal this and patients elect for it. 

• Like 1

This is less grafts and on a slick bald head with with similar hair quality. With a photo in broad daylight and the density looks stronger than in this post.

Just my opinion but I don't think surgeons using the ARTAS should be endorsed here. The machine has had a long enough grace period to accept that it does not produce good results on a consistent basis, and most certainly isn't a means of producing state of the art hair transplants. It might be a problem for surgeons also producing good FUT results but ultimately from the regular results I see its unethical. Consider that if this is the advertised result, what is the average result?

Edited by JeanLDD

Thank you for your "kind" and unbiased comments. I have no control how a patient cuts his hair prior to surgery or how he wears it when he comes in for a post-op visit. Of course, since you are not a hair restoration professional it would be hard to see and appreciate that with only 2300 grafts that the hairline, frontal and mid-scalp density have changed and it's now more uniform. He now feels comfortable wearing his longer and he's not only happy with the results, he's thrilled (since you asked). As a matter of education, men with hair loss can't always just "grow their hair longer" as the balding process involves shortened anagen phases which can preclude this option. 

"It's an insult that surgeons still pedal this and patients elect for it"...it's an insult that anyone with fingers and a computer can express their expert "97 posts" opinions about things they know very little about and completely ignore the desires of the actual patient. I suggest that you get a life. 

• Thanks 1

Dr. Harris is Recommended on the Hair Transplant Network

Patient paid around $16000? For an average result at best .. bad hairline design , not dense packed .. he grew some hair .. good for him .. with that amount of money he could of had twice the amount of coverage n density using that amount of grafts for the area covered .. if this is ur standard then for a good result .. then that says it all .. n nice response about getting a life .. not everyone is as rich as u doctor , to have enough time hustlin hair from uninformed balding men .. 

I think what we are trying to address here Dr. Harris is that this result doesn't seem to really show any difference between pre and post op.

Do you have images of where the grafts were planted? This will help us all understand what the plan of action was.

Was it the patients decision to not strengthen the hairline more?

Do you have images of the donor area as well? 

Top view of the patients scalp?

What size punch was used on the ARTAS? 

Albeit I understand that hairs that are prone to recession conform to a shorter anagen period, but I have to agree with other comments here that I have seen stronger restoration cases for 2300 grafts. As I mentioned earlier, if you have graft placement pictures this might help with the forum understanding.

All in all, if the paitent is happy that's all that ultimately matters, I would have personally expected more of a result and not been too pleased.

• Like 1

12/2017 - 3500 Grafts- Dr. Emrah Cinik

Follow my progress:

3 hours ago, James A. Harris, MD, FACS said:

Thank you for your "kind" and unbiased comments. I have no control how a patient cuts his hair prior to surgery or how he wears it when he comes in for a post-op visit. Of course, since you are not a hair restoration professional it would be hard to see and appreciate that with only 2300 grafts that the hairline, frontal and mid-scalp density have changed and it's now more uniform. He now feels comfortable wearing his longer and he's not only happy with the results, he's thrilled (since you asked). As a matter of education, men with hair loss can't always just "grow their hair longer" as the balding process involves shortened anagen phases which can preclude this option. 

"It's an insult that surgeons still pedal this and patients elect for it"...it's an insult that anyone with fingers and a computer can express their expert "97 posts" opinions about things they know very little about and completely ignore the desires of the actual patient. I suggest that you get a life. 

I am far from an expert but I’ve been around long enough to know the ARTAS is an inferior product producing inferior results and has no place alongside today’s technology. The fact that you endorse such mediocrity is an enormous red flag. I would advise the rest of the forum to keep their scalps far away from you. 

• Administrators

Guys,

In order to keep this environment fair, we must remain respectful, please keep the insults off this board. While we are free to voice our opinions about a certain result. Always remember that result is attached to a person, how would any of you feel if your results were being insulted? Yes, the doctor is posting on a public forum and is opening himself to scrutiny, but you never know id the patient frequents this forum. A simple “inadequate density” or “unsatisfactory result” response would suffice. 

Pelodinero, 

I have received a complaint from another member about you being negative and insulting, so this will be my warning to you. If I receive any further complaints I will be forced to suspend your posting privileges. 

We’re all adults here, lets treat eachother with respect. If you don’t like the results that’s fine, if you don’t believe in Artas that’s also fine, but lets stay objective and non-insulting. 

Warm regards- Melvin

• Thanks 3

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

This forum and its members and moderators have always been fair and call out things the way it should be ...  doctor Harris has shown good results , but us members know a good transplant from an average to bad one .. n the artas machine does not prove to be effective .. grow some hair for $8 a graft ., but without density and manual labor from the clinic itself is good value to the patient ? I call that bullish.shit ., sorry if I sound impolite .. but an educated potential patient on this forum will obviously see that this robot , is mediocre compared to a high class clinic with a top notch surgeon ., no shortcuts using machines n robots to make ur job easier . These doctors are making thousands of dollars a day n per hour .. do ur job n do it right .. don’t take shortcuts , u  getting paid a lot of money everyday .. so don’t be sensitive when u get honest opinions from people that judges ur results .. thanks 

• Like 1

On 9/24/2018 at 11:38 AM, Melvin-Moderator said:

Guys,

In order to keep this environment fair, we must remain respectful, please keep the insults off this board. While we are free to voice our opinions about a certain result. Always remember that result is attached to a person, how would any of you feel if your results were being insulted? Yes, the doctor is posting on a public forum and is opening himself to scrutiny, but you never know id the patient frequents this forum. A simple “inadequate density” or “unsatisfactory result” response would suffice. 

Pelodinero, 

I have received a complaint from another member about you being negative and insulting, so this will be my warning to you. If I receive any further complaints I will be forced to suspend your posting privileges. 

We’re all adults here, lets treat eachother with respect. If you don’t like the results that’s fine, if you don’t believe in Artas that’s also fine, but lets stay objective and non-insulting. 

Warm regards- Melvin

It was not my intention to be insulting. However, if this forum is made for patients, by patients then we have a duty to educate others on the many pitfalls associated sign hair transplantation, one of which is pointing out the obvious short comings associated with the ARTAS. 

The ARTAS is objectively inferior to manual transplantation, I think everyone can agree on that. So the question is why do some doctors still promote it? My guess is two fold:

1.) It is less laborious than manual transplantation allowing resulting in more dollars per hours exerted by the surgeon. 

2.) Surgeons attempting to recuperate the enormous costs of these machines by continuing to promote them. 

I am not insulting, I am keeping people honest. 

• Administrators

Pelodinero, 

I have received complaints from other members (not the doctor), you come off as very demeaning and frankly, if others are complaining it’s my duty to moderate. If you want to continue posting, please be respectful. Asking a viable question is different than making a blanket statement like “shame on doctors who pedal this” how does a statement like this benefit anyone? Not only are you being demeaning you’re not asking any valid questions. 

Take a look at lukeyb6187 comments, he asked valid questions and remained respectful. We should conduct ourselves as adults and ask important questions that will garner responses, being abrasive and demeaning does not garner responses. 

• Like 2

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

According to previous FDA filings, there were changes to machine/parts of machine.  It is known to extract darker color hair, am I correct on that?  Punch sizes have been changed?  If it successfully extracts almost every graft, then how there doesn’t seem to be distinct results, in comparison, to say manual extraction?  Are all artas patients those with physiological differences?  Is it something else?  Compare similar caliber hair yield with manual FUE versus ARTAS vs Motorized punches vs suction based punches (saline or air) vs implanter pens.  Which route has shown most hair yielding results and why?  These are questions often asked.

I know Dr Rahal also gave it up a while back and it was collecting dust.  Was there a reason why?  

If this patient is happy then he sees something hair gurus may not.  

Cosmetic surgery should give a cosmetic improvement where one can see a distinct cosmetic change with an easy to guage before and after.  

In the future, things may change but I think it is imperative folks see more distinct changes/cases from Artas at a higher degree.  I am glad this forum at least gives some open discussion and no deletion of posts on this topic.  We all want whats best yielding and satisfactory for one another.  After all, thousands are spent and that is a distinct change in our bank accounts, thus it should be the same on our scalps.  

I thank the doctor for sharing, responding, and forum members from sharing concerns and comments.  

To thos participating, What do you think, percentage wise, the yield looks like at this stage?  

I can say one thing, the patient is in better shape then some repair patients.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sean said:

According to previous FDA filings, there were changes to machine/parts of machine.  It is known to extract darker color hair, am I correct on that?  Punch sizes have been changed?  If it successfully extracts almost every graft, then how there doesn’t seem to be distinct results, in comparison, to say manual extraction?  Are all artas patients those with physiological differences?  Is it something else?  Compare similar caliber hair yield with manual FUE versus ARTAS vs Motorized punches vs suction based punches (saline or air) vs implanter pens.  Which route has shown most hair yielding results and why?  These are questions often asked.

I know Dr Rahal also gave it up a while back and it was collecting dust.  Was there a reason why?  

If this patient is happy then he sees something hair gurus may not.  

Cosmetic surgery should give a cosmetic improvement where one can see a distinct cosmetic change with an easy to guage before and after.  

In the future, things may change but I think it is imperative folks see more distinct changes/cases from Artas at a higher degree.  I am glad this forum at least gives some open discussion and no deletion of posts on this topic.  We all want whats best yielding and satisfactory for one another.  After all, thousands are spent and that is a distinct change in our bank accounts, thus it should be the same on our scalps.  

I thank the doctor for sharing, responding, and forum members from sharing concerns and comments.  

To thos participating, What do you think, percentage wise, the yield looks like at this stage?  

I can say one thing, the patient is in better shape then some repair patients.  

I think it is incredibly hard to believe that any of these grew and I've seen enough cases to know that, but he doesn't look worse than preop. However as future hairloss occurs he will have a slick bald head to show for it. 

"Of course, since you are not a hair restoration professional it would be hard to see and appreciate that with only 2300 grafts that the hairline, frontal and mid-scalp density have changed and it's now more uniform."

This is one of the worst comments I've seen a surgeon make in all honesty. Like you mention people do not spend 15 grand on cosmetic surgeon for the (nonexistent) benefits to ONLY be visible to a hair transplant surgeon. One shouldn't require a microscope to find growth on a case with 2300 grafts.

I post this because the reality is if those grafts go that far on this other patient, they could have gone that far on this patient also. A guy with what was a virtually bald head looks better post-op than this ARTAS patient who had a decent amount of hair left and even more grafts.

"As a matter of education, men with hair loss can't always just "grow their hair longer" as the balding process involves shortened anagen phases which can preclude this option. "

I find this an offensively disingenuous thing to say also.  We can clearly see the EXACT same area of hair in the post-ops at full grown length, if this is the true for this case why aren't we seeing a patch of ungrown short hair as well as the long hairs? Because quite frankly its a stupid thing to say and its false.

"it's an insult that anyone with fingers and a computer can express their expert "97 posts" opinions about things they know very little about and completely ignore the desires of the actual patient. I suggest that you get a life. "

Pelo expressed his opinions in a hostile manner, but he's honest and his points will help people. Trying to deceive them by pretending that he  wouldn't have been able to grow his hair out prior to the procedure (seriously?), or that he can't see an improvement because he's not a surgeon is not helpful.

Every surgeon has bad or below par results, there's nothing unethical about that but there is about pretending 2300 grafts grew when they didn't, and something closer to 100 did.

Need more before and after pics for fair contrast of what we're looking at.

It's hard to see any transformation in the posted pictures at this time.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016