Couto & Freitas

One thing you have to consider with these Spanish surgeons working predominately on Spanish patients is that the Spanish have insane donor and the best hair characteristics for coverage when it comes to HT’s so results will always look better than those done on non Spaniards with the same amount of grafts 

On ‎2‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 12:10 AM, Emmanuelb said:

Here you can see a review of an actual Couto patient.

Procedure done last year. 

https://foro.recuperarelpelo.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=73683

This is for me not really a great result, considering the great hair characteristics.

• 2 months later...
On 1/24/2020 at 7:42 PM, sandyr said:

Agree, they have good donor.  I think we should also look at the number of grafts being implanted, Can other doctors get the same result with same number of grafts.  Just curious.

Few doctors in the world get results like Freitas and Couto with the same grafts... I dont know how they do it but where they use 1500-2000 grafts other Docs go for 2500-2800 for sure.

I´m also curious to know why is this? Anyone could explain this?

On 12/13/2019 at 12:32 AM, sandyr said:

@Emmanuelb - If you see the thread, the hairline isn't natural at all.  Do you have links to more patient reviews for Dr. Couto, I'm considering him but for me hairline has to be natural and wondering if you have more links so I can decide.

Sandyr, here they have a new video with some nice hairline works by Dr Couto.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OliverAtom said:

Few doctors in the world get results like Freitas and Couto with the same grafts... I dont know how they do it but where they use 1500-2000 grafts other Docs go for 2500-2800 for sure.

I´m also curious to know why is this? Anyone could explain this?

It's all about hair shaft diameter and average hair/graft. You can extract 3000 grafts and have 6000 hairs (only doubles), or 3000 grafts and 9000 hairs (only triples). You get the point.
I had my HT done in end of January. I had 3659 grafts and got 9986 hairs. That's a impressive ratio of 2.73, but because my hair is thin is not going to look as dramatic as these results.

1st FUE28/01/2020 - 3659 grafts - Dr. Bruno Ferreira
2nd FUE - 03/06/2021 - 2881 grafts - Dr. Bruno Ferreira

Follow me on YouTube

I'm not a medical professional, thus any information given by me is my own observation and should not be treated as professional advice.

There's also a great deal of variability in how you count splits.

Let's say you have a bundle of three hairs and you implant three separately to your hairline -- is that 3 grafts or 1? Does the extraction or implantation matter? I think the Spanish docs might have a different standard of counting compared to other clinics, possibly because they take such a large punches.

Again the results are phenomenal but the donor looks way more chewed up too -- the yield comes at a cost.

On 2/11/2019 at 2:31 AM, fueme said:

His work on youtube is absolutely amazing and I know on all the forums he is said to be one of the best but I'm struggling to find actual reviews by patients. Would it be possible for you to share the link to some of these reviews?

Here you go

Edited by bismarck

4 minutes ago, bismarck said:

There's also a great deal of variability in how you count splits.

Let's say you have a bundle of three hairs and you implant three separately to your hairline -- is that 3 grafts or 1? Does the extraction or implantation matter? I think the Spanish docs might have a different standard of counting compared to other clinics, possibly because they take such a large punches.

Again the results are phenomenal but the donor looks way more beat up too -- the yield comes at a cost.

I think dissection of grafts should be done only in very limited situation e.g. if there's not enough singles. Everything else is pretty much possible to see while extracting. If surgeon is not in a rush and does 1500-2000 grafts a day (even with motorized) he can spend more time to look around for better grafts that he needs.

1st FUE28/01/2020 - 3659 grafts - Dr. Bruno Ferreira
2nd FUE - 03/06/2021 - 2881 grafts - Dr. Bruno Ferreira

Follow me on YouTube

I'm not a medical professional, thus any information given by me is my own observation and should not be treated as professional advice.

18 minutes ago, Rolandas said:

I think dissection of grafts should be done only in very limited situation e.g. if there's not enough singles. Everything else is pretty much possible to see while extracting. If surgeon is not in a rush and does 1500-2000 grafts a day (even with motorized) he can spend more time to look around for better grafts that he needs.

Rolando, I believe splitting is more often done with FUT type techniques where you don't have as much ability to choose finer follicles for the frontal hairline, but I'm not sure about this.

Perhaps doing a combined FUE/FUT would be a wiser choice in scenarios involving finer frontal hairline work as it would allow you more flexibility in choosing donors.

I agree though, you are really putting the follicle at risk of being damaged if not done correctly.

Edited by bismarck

• Administrators
On 2/12/2019 at 6:40 AM, hairman22 said:

booked until 2023.

cant even get a consultation until 2020.

Dr Saifi does repair cases. Got 2 surgeries with him. Very good surgeon.

I guarantee that has gone down since this pandemic.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• Administrators
32 minutes ago, sandyr said:

I found a slot with Dr. Couto for Sept' 2020 but will have to wait and see how things turn out as we get closer to Sept.

Please share your experience on the forum if you end up having surgery.

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• 3 months later...
On 3/31/2020 at 3:30 PM, sandyr said:

I found a slot with Dr. Couto for Sept' 2020 but will have to wait and see how things turn out as we get closer to Sept.

Hi sandyr, I also got a video consultation scheduled for Sept. 2020.  Originally I had an in-person consultation scheduled for July 2021, but I kept emailing asking about any cancellations and eventually they offered me this Sept. 2020 slot.  I'm definitely looking forward to it.

Did you also have to hassle Dr. Couto's office to get your Sept. 2020 slot, or was that the first option you were given?

Hi @jkp4e I was originally scheduled for Sept’2020 but due to the COVID situation in US and travel restrictions, I moved my surgery to May’2021.  Yes, they are a little slow to respond.  I had a video consultation last month with Dr. Couto and he did take good time to explain the procedure and took questions from me.  Keep me posted on your progress and Good luck !!

16 hours ago, sandyr said:

Hi @jkp4e I was originally scheduled for Sept’2020 but due to the COVID situation in US and travel restrictions, I moved my surgery to May’2021.  Yes, they are a little slow to respond.  I had a video consultation last month with Dr. Couto and he did take good time to explain the procedure and took questions from me.  Keep me posted on your progress and Good luck !!

Hi @sandyr, I'm pleasantly surprised that you were able to get the consultation and surgery scheduled so quickly.  I was originally told that I would have to wait 1 year for the consultation and then another 1 year for the surgery.  I have been told that I now need to email photos of my hair in advance of the consultation.

May I ask what all convinced you to go with Dr. Couto?  The videos that his office have posted seem amazing, much better than anything else that I have seen, but as many other people have said the lack of patient posts on online forums make me a little skeptical about whether the results are always as good as the videos suggest.  I am teetering between Dr. Couto and Dr. Erdogan (Asmed) but all the negative Asmed reviews on this forum, the fact that many procedures are done everyday at Asmed, and the fact that Dr. Erdogan does not do the extraction or implantation have made me lean towards Dr. Couto.  I'm curious, how did you ultimately come to the decision to go with Dr. Couto?

Best of luck with your procedure!  I hope yours is the next amazing FUExpert video! 😉

• Like 1

How did you guys manage to see him or get a online consultation so quickly? I the email they sent me they told me they were not doing online consultations at the moment and that I was likely to have to wait at least 3 months for a consultation and over a year after that to see the doc. 

On 7/19/2020 at 7:41 PM, BruceMackenzie said:

How did you guys manage to see him or get a online consultation so quickly? I the email they sent me they told me they were not doing online consultations at the moment and that I was likely to have to wait at least 3 months for a consultation and over a year after that to see the doc. 

Ye same for me...

It's hard to tell though if it is marketing thing, or they legitimately dont have available slots.  I mean, if you are really booked for so long and have so much work, maybe raise the price a bit higher? This is how those stuff work typically I think

I’ve been following up with them since 2 years and got an update last year in 2019 to setup and appointment for Sept 2020, but due to the COVID situation they had to move the dates further away and they did the online video consultation

On 7/19/2020 at 12:41 PM, BruceMackenzie said:

Honestly, I kept emailing and asking if they had any opening or cancellation so that I could move my consultation to a closer date.  The consultation is free so I even offered to pay for it but they did not respond to that offer.

4 hours ago, karatekid said:

Ye same for me...

It's hard to tell though if it is marketing thing, or they legitimately dont have available slots.  I mean, if you are really booked for so long and have so much work, maybe raise the price a bit higher? This is how those stuff work typically I think

I think Dr. Couto's prices are already on the high end for the Spanish market, maybe even very high end, although I'm not 100% sure.

I do wonder what makes Dr Couto so desirable? I have not seen any patient results only clinic results.

He must have one of the longest waiting lists for Hair Transplants. Does he do all or some of the work ? What’s the tech involvement ? 

On 7/21/2020 at 6:47 PM, JohnAC71 said:

I do wonder what makes Dr Couto so desirable? I have not seen any patient results only clinic results.

He must have one of the longest waiting lists for Hair Transplants. Does he do all or some of the work ? What’s the tech involvement ? 

I have seen several Couto's cases (in the spanish forum).  They look very good. Although most of them are small procedures, not huge ones like you see on the videos, and also seeing the results with an average quality picture is not the same as a high resolution video, it wont be that impressive, and sometimes pictures can be misleading, so it's hard to judge

I think he does most of the work. He operates small amount of grafts per day,  he divides a 4000graft procedure to 4 days (!). It probably also contributes to his long waiting list.

• 3 years later...