How many grafts can I get from my donor?

Legend007

I'll echo and others and say that it's impossible to tell. It's never possible to give a genuinely accurate assessment of donor density from photos. We can tell if density is very low and we might get some idea if it is very high, but as most people hover around the average, it's not possible to say exactly how far from that average they are. In your case it's made more difficult by your hair being slightly longer.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

If you took pics with the hair held up so we could see it exiting the scalp we would have a better idea of your density, but really, an in person consult is the only truly accurate way to tell.

I am an online representative for Farjo Hair Institute

Dr. Bessam Farjo is an esteemed member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions shared are my own.

You’ve already received some excellent answers so I do apologize for sounding like a broken record. But, as others have stated, there’s really no way to judge your donor based on those photos in particular. It’s hard enough with photos and shorthair, but long hair makes it even harder to tell. You really do need to see a qualified hair restoration physician in person who can evaluate your hair density and thickness. Regarding an overall number of grafts, I know somebody said you may have between 8000 and 10,000 available for trans- planting, but I would say that’s on the flyer in. I’d say the average is closer to 5000 to 8000. But some may have more or less depending on density, scalp elasticity, hair loss scale, etc.

Best wishes,

Bill

Thanks for the responses guys .. ifs better advice

Than what I gotten when I visited two clinics already.. they didn’t tell me what my donor capacity with and stuff .. I guess that’s how it is when it’s a free consultation .. .. I probably get a defiiite answer when I actually go to surgery and spend $16,000 for a hair transplant then they will spend more time on me .. u til then I get the most knowledge from here .. I post some better pics soon so u guys can give me a better evaluation . I’m thinking about 6-8k grafts I can get from my donor without it looking depleted .. just need some confirmation .. if I can get half of my donor transplanted n my Norwood level don’t reach past a Norwood 4 I should feel if that it’s safe for me to go into the hair transplant route .. it’s the most effective , but time consuming n most expensive journey ..

I agree with all the above comments, it is very hard to say, how many grafts you need exactly. I totally agree with Bill " It’s hard enough with photos and shorthair, but long hair makes it even harder to tell" I think you need to visit a good hair transplant surgeon in your nearby areas.

Hope this helps!

ORIGINAL QUESTION

How many grafts can I get from my donor?

ANSWER

Well depends upon that how much grafting of hair you are trying to transplant from the donor area...

Such insight is immeasurable.

I'm serious.  Just look at my face.

My Hair Regimen: Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

ifs better advice

Than what I gotten when I visited two clinics already.. they didn’t tell me what my donor capacity with and stuff ..

I have been to three clinics for conculation. Pricing was in between 0 - 200 €. All did measurements of the donor area and told me the measured # (grafts / cm2) and the amount of graft required as well as the total amount of FU available.

YOu can also use the measured # and calculate the grafts available and required yourself e. g. by using the Erdogang/Lorenzo method:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISpjL-j816E

Yeah my first in person consultation I went to a local Medspa that does hair transplants, facials , laser therapy n boob jobs .. ur one stop shop kinda clinic .. I only got to speak with the sales manager that tried to sell me the artas robot procedure .. this clinic had a 4 star review on yelp .. but mainly for cosmetic facial treatments.. I asked the manager who was going to do the transplant , she said the techs .. ( a bunch of young pretty girls , that’s probably making $15 an hour . Was getting allowed to do surgery on my hair .. ? Trying a new technology ? When I think about it now .. makes me mad .. that theres clinics out there that does that.. I didn’t even get to speak to the doctor . N to think , this clinic was advertised on my local news station n newspaper as being a state of the art clinic and was the first to own the new technology in my city ( Artas robot ) . i was a noob in hairloss n would of done it if my hairloss was more aggressive but I wasn’t desperate enough to .. ..

— so for all the noobs out there , do ur research n don’t just go to anyone , be smart n do ur research .. don’t just google hairtransplants to find ur doctor .. just because we paying a lot of money n there’s a doctor in the clinic don’t mean they going to qualified to do surgery on our hair , let alone take our money ..

— I upload more of my hair pics later , n ask ur opinions about it soon.

Shave your head down to find out where you have miniaturization of hairs. When you're starting to bald, there is the illusion that you are not starting the process. Any areas where the hairs are narrowing in diameter will not be suitable for grafting. Only gauge by areas where hair calibers are strong and go from there.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys .. here’s some more pics so I can get additional advice ..

My recession isn’t bad .. but it’s the thinning of my hair all up top is really scaring me .. I lost a lot of volume in my hair at 36, then and 37 the recession started that’s when I realized n stopped denying I have MpB .. its still hard for me to accept since my family don’t have hairloss issues .. my older brother n two younger brothers on their 30’s n 40’s are Norwood 1 .. I’m a Norwood 2.5 V right now at 39

So I’m still hoping that I won’t have a big hairloss issue later

.. hopefully Norwood 3-4 V .. then I can go ahead and do the FUe 2000 into the hairline , hopefully that should hold up until I’m 45 before I need another transplant ..

- if I don’t advance to a high Norwood im hoping to only have two surgeries in life . Is that realistic planning ?.

I’m hoping that I only need about 4-5k grafts in life to hairline then midscalp later .. i have minimal crown loss so hopefully my crown will hold for years to come .. I’m currently on finasteride for 9 months now .. it’s helping with less hair fall but my hair still feels thin so it’s not thickening it up as I hoped ..

right now my hair isn’t bad .. I’ve been growing it out long to cover up my receding hairline.. so I’m not desperate at the moment .. but it’s inevitable I will lose more hair . So trying to stay ahead of the battle by transplanting 2000k grafts to my hairline with doctor diep at the end of this year

12C1B547-F78D-4983-B6CD-F4A2DA98511A.thumb.jpg.4f4a3cf3dd50766b17592d5f93fe1b8e.jpg

1D9F1D23-F73E-4A5A-9E2F-EDCF5C32C2F0.thumb.jpg.e1575332abeb1fcaacfb84ed9415bda5.jpg

CC209E27-9BBB-47BD-A78A-19E54C04F1BE.thumb.jpg.ff6b7546447db3484ef38b0303e1842e.jpg

493741E8-1569-49AC-8DA4-1CB507B86E01.thumb.jpg.f51d95f9f86158c78c58f556d272f8d4.jpg

Highly debatable whether you are ready for a transplant. I see some frontal loss but nothing major. If you were a lot younger then I'd be telling you to avoid a transplant, but if your loss is stable then I can see how you'd benefit with minimal risk. This is a tough one.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

• Administrators

What makes you think you’ll advance to a high Norwood? Do you have family members that are advanced? And at what age did they bald? I say this because for nearly 40, you seemingly have a full head of hair. Most individuals with advanced hair loss shows signs by 30. Now im not saying that its not possible, im just saying that would be out of the norm.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I never thought I would go bald until I went to see the dermatologist at Kaiser to get me a prescription if finasteride .. in July 2017 . First thing he said to me is I’m going to go bald like Bruce Willis .. what an asshole right .. I was like it’s not that bad is it. I was like do some testing first he said he already know just by looking at it n pulled out a hand microscope n he was like see there’s miniaturized hair on the hairline n some on the crown .. ever since then I’ve been depressed about my hair .

But that doctor don’t seee to know much about hair .. I don’t trust him.. he didn’t even know if there was a dht test ..

I had a FaceTime consultation with doctor Rassman he said he would bet a million bucks I wouldn’t go bald.. but he didn’t see me in person though ..

- doctor diep said I won’t be bald either .. so that eases my mind .

I have no known history of family hairloss .. everyone in my family has thick hair .. my dad died as a Norwood 1 or 2 at 55 .. my brothers are Norwood 1 n so was I until 36..

• Administrators
I never thought I would go bald until I went to see the dermatologist at Kaiser to get me a prescription if finasteride .. in July 2017 . First thing he said to me is I’m going to go bald like Bruce Willis .. what an asshole right .. I was like it’s not that bad is it. I was like do some testing first he said he already know just by looking at it n pulled out a hand microscope n he was like see there’s miniaturized hair on the hairline n some on the crown .. ever since then I’ve been depressed about my hair .

But that doctor don’t seee to know much about hair .. I don’t trust him.. he didn’t even know if there was a dht test ..

I had a FaceTime consultation with doctor Rassman he said he would bet a million bucks I wouldn’t go bald.. but he didn’t see me in person though ..

- doctor diep said I won’t be bald either .. so that eases my mind .

I have no known history of family hairloss .. everyone in my family has thick hair .. my dad died as a Norwood 1 or 2 at 55 .. my brothers are Norwood 1 n so was I until 36..

Bald like bruce willis, in pulp fiction which was released in 1994 bruce willis was already bald. He was born in 1955, which means he was 39 when the filmed released, it was probably filmed one to two years prior to that. He was probably 37-38 at that time of filming and already fully bald. See what i mean, most men who are advanced in balding are already that bald by your age. Hair restoration surgeons are the experts in hair loss, because thats what they specialize in. If you dont have advanced balding in your genes, its highly unlikely youll become a norwood 6.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

My hair caliber is thinner n weaker now .. look at how thick my hair uSed to be .. I had to get a haircut every month because it was so thick .. now I haven’t cut the top of my hair for almost a year now .. so it’s definitely thinning .. one thing all 3 doctors agreed upon was that finasteride will really help me n I shouldn’t understand estimate it .. I also stopped dyeing my hair , so hopefully that helps ..

some people go through a midlife crisis and buy a new sports car .. I rather use that money n get me new hair .. 2000 grafts to my hairline will do wonders for it don’t u guy think ?

As of right now ,, I kinda like

My hair long like this.. it took me Awhile to accept my thinnni f hair n to just work with what I got .. so it looks better n doable now .. I’m still debating whether I should take the plunge into getting a hair transplant ..