Is it me or hair restoration got super expensive?

Hey guys, I did my first hair restoration on the front of the head about 15 years ago, followed by the temple hair restoration around 7 years ago. Sum of both procedures added up to around 10k. Well I am not getting any younger and of course my front and temple of the head has thinned out a lot, to a good 2-3" bold spot on top of the head and very thinned front line. Hence, I started shopping around to fix both issues and I was told some astronomical $$$ prices. To fix both spots (and since my donor area kind of depleted) it will have to be FUE procedure and cost me over 30K if not more. WOW!

Given I live in San Francisco Bay Area, it is of course pricier here, but still, for approximately 3k-4k graphs over 30k?

I see similar pictures of people with top and front restoration, and I can't believe people paying that much. I hope not.

What do you guys think? Is there any reputable doctors around the country that can do good procedure without taking one of my kidneys?

That comes out to roughly $10.00 per FUE graft and there are good reputable doctors who perform excellent FUE at cheaper costs.

While I never advocate choosing doctors by cheaper cost, you basically need to find a good surgeon who does excellent FUE first, and then see about securing a lower cost with that same doctor.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

It is a very technical process and you do in part get what you pay for, but many reputable surgeons have competitive pricing compared to the sums you're citing from the Bay Area.

All the same, it is an investment, and needs to be conducted with great research and not pursued on the cheap nor if it is financially cost prohibitive for you to do.

If you're not in a position to finance your procedure it's best to hold off until you have those means, this will protect your pocket and make sure you're not being led around solely by your wallet, but by what is indeed the best medical procedure and physician suitable for your case.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

Unfortunately, that sounds pretty normal. I think the average price for FUE in the US is around $8/graft. Some doctors may charge as much as $10, and some as low as $6, but generally speaking it is quite an expensive procedure. While you never want to make cost a primary factor in choosing a surgeon, the reality of the matter is that it's often a factor that can't be avoided. So focus first and foremost on finding top, quality surgeons that do consistently good work (priority number one!), and then focus on the pricing after that. See which ones are closer to your budget, look into financing, and be open to traveling overseas if needed as the procedures are considerably cheaper in other countries where you can still find really fantastic doctors.

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

• Moderators

You are comparing the price of strip to the price of FUE which generally costs twice as much. It doesn't sound like you've had a whole lot of work done before if the total cost was $10k, so I'm wondering why the donor area would be "kind of depleted" (your words) and if it is depleted, I can't see being able to get 3000 to 4000 good grafts. Was your consultation with someone who only does FUE or perhaps steering you to FUE for the higher cost he can charge you? I would get another opinion to be sure.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

you have 2 excellent choices now in Canada, Rahal and H&W both doing FUE for much cheaper than any US surgeons, the currency exchange rate helps alot! Unless you are willing to travel internationally to destinations such as Turkey or Belgium, those 2 choices are top notch here in North America.

Globally, depending on where you go, you will say anything between $2 and up.

Cheaper surgeon doesn’t necessarily mean poor quality. Ive known some who paid premium and are getting multiple touch ups now or chasing repairs etc.

Best of luck with your journey.

Base your decision on surgeon skills, results, and proven track record.

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Hi SF,

I believe surgeons who chronically get great results, don't want to work for the minimum wage in the hair transplant world. Would you?

Here is another factor you may not be considering. HT's today are often getting higher graft counts than they where years ago. So in that regard they are getting more expensive- but patient satisfaction is higher too.

ArochaAngel4247

Representative and Patient Educator for: Dr. Bernardino A. Arocha, Coalition Member. I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are mine.

• Moderators

Just for some interesting reference, for my first hair transplant in 1989 I paid:

$18.50 per graft for 60 grafts (3.75mm grafts)

$750 for scalp reduction

$150 for guarantee of no scars and to thicken the donor area

TOTAL = $2010

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

I remember when I first enquired about a hair transplant in 1997. Bolsey told me I would get a great result and they wanted $19 per graft for 500 grafts. Thank god I did not have the money because I would probably regret it.

I think pricing has stayed about the same over the last 3-5 years. A doctors staff is very important during any hair transplant and have to get paid well.

Representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

$19.00 per graft?!...WOW!....:eek:

Gillenator

$19.00 per graft?!...WOW!....:eek:
Not to mention that adjusted for inflation $19 bucks in 1989 is the equivalent of roughly $38 bucks.

And that 2k 1989 procedure is roughly 4k for a paltry amount of grafts and a disfiguring scalp flap.

That's typical for the hair mills....:rolleyes:

Gillenator

Dat's nuttin' - I had Dr. Matt Leavitt do me in '91 two times for 100 grafts and then 120 grafts two months later @$30.00 per graft.

Near Novi, MI

Beat that!

He is so creepy and now does other medical b.s. other than transplants. Screw him.

Edited by jjsrader
Leavitt is a crook.

It's like what Gillenator said.

Visiting Dr. Bosley in Beverly Hills in the 90's I was told he used to charge $50 per graft! I must say I cannot substantiate that, but I heard it being used in a manor to justify the fees back then. I don't recall what they where at that point. I kind of went deaf, dumb and blind when I heard the fee.

ArochaAngel4247

Representative and Patient Educator for: Dr. Bernardino A. Arocha, Coalition Member. I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are mine.

It's like what Gillenator said.

Visiting Dr. Bosley in Beverly Hills in the 90's I was told he used to charge $50 per graft! I must say I cannot substantiate that, but I heard it being used in a manor to justify the fees back then. I don't recall what they where at that point. I kind of went deaf, dumb and blind when I heard the fee.

ArochaAngel4247

$50 a graft:eek:

My procedure would have cost a mind blowing $165,250:mad:

To my knowledge, Matt Leavitt practices dermatology in Central and South Florida and basically got out of the hair restoration field.

He sold Medical Hair Restoration (MHR) to Bosley almost a decade ago for a lot of $.

Gillenator

To my knowledge, Matt Leavitt practices dermatology in Central and South Florida and basically got out of the hair restoration field.

He sold Medical Hair Restoration (MHR) to Bosley almost a decade ago for a lot of $.

Brings up two interesting questions: Why does he need to practice anymore after that windfall? And who on earth would go to him as a dermatologist?

Brings up two interesting questions: Why does he need to practice anymore after that windfall? And who on earth would go to him as a dermatologist?

In Vancouver we had a world known dermatologist that also did hair transplants. People came all over the world to see him but he decided to also offer hair transplants. Without offending him he was not that great at hair transplant. I heard he closed his transplant procedure and moved to New York. Maybe Matt is a better dermatologist than a transplant doctor.

Representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

Several decades ago I was reading the Wall Street Journal concerning an interview with then Vice-Presidential candidate Nelson Rockefeller, one of the wealthiest men in history.

He was asked what he thought would bring him happiness since he already had achieved great wealth. His answer was, and I quote "another dollar".

That's the thing about the love of money...some individuals can never be satisfied with what they have...they always want more and they spend their entire lives chasing it.

And I once knew someone who was very wealthy and he once said that being wealthy was not always about making another buck but rather, not losing what you already have. He never seemed happy in life, was very distrusting of others and eventually died of a stroke.

Gillenator

"Base your decision on surgeon skills, results, and proven track record."

That's exactly what i did for $2 a graft and have had excellent results :)

Excellent that you did, but people researching doctors should not be overly swayed by prices to overlook the qualifications and track record of the physician, that's the real advice that needs to be conveyed to people.

Well stated Speegs...;)

Gillenator

• 3 weeks later...
Excellent that you did, but people researching doctors should not be overly swayed by prices to overlook the qualifications and track record of the physician, that's the real advice that needs to be conveyed to people.

He never said that they should.