Anyone else think this guy looked better before HT

Firstly I want to say that this hair transplant looks very good and is very professional. It looks undetectable and Dr Umar is a fantastic surgeon.

I was just curious what people thought of this case. I think the guy looked better before the transplant. It looks more masculine before the temples and hairline were brought forward. I just don't think this looks right especially when the guy gets to 80 years old etc.

First off, this is exceptional work! Also, a very interesting case. In terms of the aesthetics of such a low hairline, I think it works well with his face but, personally, I would have chosen something in between.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

'Better' is, of course, subjective. The patient is most likely ecstatic with his outcome and will enjoy many years of compliments on his age vs. look.

But my first thought was also 'too low'.

I'm serious.  Just look at my face.

My Hair Regimen: Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

I think some young guys who have a some recession at he temples look better, the guy before transplant looks like he has a bit of an edge after he looks like every other guy ,of course this is all subjective .

Very interesting case. My opinion:

a) It is a dramatic change of facial proportions and he Looks like a different person

b) Personally I think he looks much better than before

c) Nevertheless, he went "over the top" and less would have been more

d) When he gets older this result might backfire even more

d) I do not think it is a homerun result:

- The great hair characteristics hide the fact that especially the (from our persperctive) right side has rather sparse growth

- When combing though it is clearly visible as transplant like for many results with dark hair (thick grafts with a huge distance in the front)

d) I do not think it is a homerun result:

- The great hair characteristics hide the fact that especially the (from our persperctive) right side has rather sparse growth

- When combing though it is clearly visible as transplant like for many results with dark hair (thick grafts with a huge distance in the front)

+1

This would require a second surgery to be "complete" imo.

This is a classic example of what happens when adult men chase a juvenile hairline and temples.

It should be copied and pasted into every thread where the younger guys come on here looking to lower their hairlines.

The angles and facial dimensions created by the new esthetic look don't suit him anymore because they are out of balance (rule of thirds) and not age appropriate and he is not able to wear his hair back now as the temples are natural but too thin (he's sporting a part over now).

Makes him look dumpy and fat as opposed to having an edge to his look.

I will add that perhaps it bothered him to the point where he felt he really needed to have it done but the doctor should have talked him out of it.

Not sure what he's going to do when he loses the hair behind it in his later years.

Edited by hsrp10

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

David, I know you're a moderator, but I respectful have to say it is irresponsible to call this exceptional work. This is perhaps the most egregious case of hairline ethics gone wrong I've seen on here in a long time. Exceptional work is not predicated upon whether a physician can get hair to grow. Exceptional work also factors in donor management and future proofing among other things but those two are key. I've met Dr. Umar in person and I found him to be professional, but his estimate for my hairline would have destroyed my donor area irreperably. An exceptional surgeon is someone who has the capacity and judgment to say no to a patient who demands something unreasonable. This is absolutely unreasonable. The man clearly had signs of hair loss. I will add that the donor area does still look healthy and intact however.

I disagree. The takeaway that I got from this is that the patient has no visible hair loss and likely no hair loss in the future. I assume this is based on his family history. Lots of guys do not bald.

This patient was evidently born with a high and irregular hairline. He is not suffering from MPB.

However, I do agree with you that in the case of a patient who has or may have genetic hair loss, this would not be ethical.

I trust Dr. Umar's assessment.

I stand by my comment that this is exceptional work because he has clearly matched the patient's natural density very well. The appearance is perfectly natrual which is saying a lot more than just getting some hair go grow.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

I stand by my comment that this is exceptional work because he has clearly matched the patient's natural density very well.

Then we have to agree to disagree. I my opinion it is clearly visible that the sides are less dense than the (exceptional dense) rest. You can clearly see it around the 2:40 mark. Als the side part is much more diffuse in the front (transplanted hair) than in the back. Also a sign of reduced density which is typical for diffused thinners.

I saw this video before the posting, and hadn't really expected it to come up here. If it did, I would have thought it would get the reaction it has so far, because many people can't handle that someone without hair loss would get a HT to lower their hair line.

For me, I love the result. For almost all of us, this will be impossible to achieve. The fact that someone with no hair loss but with a natural high hairline was able to bring it down so low make me envious. If somehow the patient does start to experience hair lost he has a lot of donor hair, and could also tap beard hair to supply to mix in.

Yes, this guy represents one end of the bell curve of hair transplantation, but it's great to see how fair it can go.

I think this case is strictly a matter of opinion. Aesthetically, the hairline may appear a little lower than I would personally like however, if this is what the patient wanted and he had no other signs of visible hair loss, I don't see any reason why he should be denied. In my opinion, it's not that the hair line is so low that he looks on recognizably ridiculous or anything, I feel that it is a very useful and aggressive hairline but there are some people who are candidates for this kind of work.

I agree with Dave, I probably would've chosen a hairline in between however, I do feel that aesthetically there are no fundamental flaws in the work or the design.

Again, some people may hate it and some people might love it, this is again strictly a matter of opinion. The only issue I would have is if this patient was experiencing hair loss on top of the scalp. This does not appear to be the case here.

Best wishes,

Bill

Wow. It is drastically lower, and as to which looks better is definitely subjective. Personally, I think he looks fantastic, though a happy medium would've been my personal preference - but it's not my hairline... ;) He definitely looks like a different person, that's for sure, and I'm sure he's thrilled with it. And based on the info we have that he isn't projected to have future hair loss, this seems like a home run.

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

• 3 weeks later...

The best hair transplants I've seen are ones with natural recession at the temples, they look very natural and you would be hard pushed to spot it was a transplant, I'm sorry low hair lines on men look very feminine and unatural but each to their own