Losing hope... Help needed... Please...

Ok so here goes...

I've been suffering from extreme hair loss since I was about 19 years old... At about 20 I got my first FUT transplant of 1250 grafts. It was still new at the time and in my book the Doctor completely botched the restoration. Believe me I would absolutely love to share the company's info so nobody else uses them but they're now out of business (medical hair restoration of boston).

At 25 I somehow convinced the company who bought them out to stand by the old company's promises and redo my restoration. I paid extra to get more grafts and this time I got about 3000.... Also FUT...

So now im up to 4250 grafts and I still have not once been comfortable with taking my hat off in public... Not once... It's affecting me more now because I recently broke it off with my girlfriend of 5 years and need to get back out there...

I'm done being bald... I need advice... Where do I go from here?? I am willing to spend what needs to be spent to live a happy life... Do I got FUE? Do I wait for the perfect Dr? Do I shave my head and fix the scar? If money was not an option what route would you take???

Thanks in advance!

image1.thumb.jpg.cfcd16fa1c8a7ef0977826b2c3b92350.jpg

image2.thumb.jpg.1824ead1e5cd5f7bd676526268710270.jpg

image5.thumb.jpg.fe490834fb3caeb03fa5a559912072f6.jpg

image3.jpg.76b93e3f2253b294a0bee26b6d540f5d.jpg

image4.thumb.jpg.96cda24131ffd886af96d63d33b855b2.jpg

I'm sorry you're going through this. Personally -- and this is just my opinion man -- id cut my losses. I'd shave it, spray tan, hit the gym and wait for the next so called cure to come down the pipe. Might be sooner than you think. Lot of treatments in the works. Good luck and hang in there.

I'm sorry you're going through this. Personally -- and this is just my opinion man -- id cut my losses. I'd shave it, spray tan, hit the gym and wait for the next so called cure to come down the pipe. Might be sooner than you think. Lot of treatments in the works. Good luck and hang in there.

that would be the plan if i didn't have a giant scar already...

This is a tough situation. What is the name of the company that bought em out? They should be named as well. Have you reached out to any of the surgeons from this site to get a opinion? Hard part is to get enough grafts to fix it and get coverage. You may need to use hairs from other parts of the body or even mix it up with smp. Good luck, wish you the best.

Nobody likes to hear the truth, but I'm gonna give it to your straight.

Don't waste your time with any more transplants. You'll end up hoping for something that'll probably never come. Your donor is far from adequate to offer decent coverage for the level of loss you have.

You've connected your happiness to something you have very little control over, which is very common for guys suffering MPB. I'd almost suggest seeing a therapist as part of your treatment plan. If you don't figure out a way to overcome this, it's likely you'll fade into a ball of depression that's simply existing.

As far as what to do hair wise. I'd get a tan and hit the gym like suggested above and either get smp or just shave it super close

• Like 1

• Administrators

I really sympathize with your situation, you've had over 4K grafts, I'm not sure you have enough grafts to make a huge difference, if you're considering the surgical route, the crown will have to be left alone, and the desnity may not be adequate.

Now if you want complete density and coverage, I would suggest getting a hair system, you have some hair in the front, you could get a custom system to fit around the transplanted hair, honestly think that's your best bet. Aside from that I would say FUE to the scar and shave it off, but you should consult with some surgeons just to here what they have to say.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

This is a tough situation. What is the name of the company that bought em out? They should be named as well. Have you reached out to any of the surgeons from this site to get a opinion? Hard part is to get enough grafts to fix it and get coverage. You may need to use hairs from other parts of the body or even mix it up with smp. Good luck, wish you the best.

Original company was Medical Hair restoration and they were bought by Bosley

I really sympathize with your situation, you've had over 4K grafts, I'm not sure you have enough grafts to make a huge difference, if you're considering the surgical route, the crown will have to be left alone, and the desnity may not be adequate.

Now if you want complete density and coverage, I would suggest getting a hair system, you have some hair in the front, you could get a custom system to fit around the transplanted hair, honestly think that's your best bet. Aside from that I would say FUE to the scar and shave it off, but you should consult with some surgeons just to here what they have to say.

The only one I've consulted with so far is a rep for Shapiro. He's basically told me the same thing everyone above is telling me...

Nobody likes to hear the truth, but I'm gonna give it to your straight.

Don't waste your time with any more transplants. You'll end up hoping for something that'll probably never come. Your donor is far from adequate to offer decent coverage for the level of loss you have.

You've connected your happiness to something you have very little control over, which is very common for guys suffering MPB. I'd almost suggest seeing a therapist as part of your treatment plan. If you don't figure out a way to overcome this, it's likely you'll fade into a ball of depression that's simply existing.

As far as what to do hair wise. I'd get a tan and hit the gym like suggested above and either get smp or just shave it super close

This has been going on since I can remember so it's not something im really depressed about... Im just trying to figure out how to look normal / natural at this point... If I could shave my head without seeing a giant ear to ear scar I'd be completely content with that...

• Administrators
The only one I've consulted with so far is a rep for Shapiro. He's basically told me the same thing everyone above is telling me...

Yea it's a difficult choice, but I think doing FUE and smp in to the scar would really help your scar. Take a look at the thread below mikey1970 got FUE in to his scar and smp and its essentially not visible at a zero guard. You've been told by one of the best clinics that surgery is not worth it, it is a tough thing to hear but it's probably best if you don't pursuit any other surgeries, unfortunately it looks like much of the 4K grafts didn't grow, I think the fastest way to feel normal again is to fill the scar shave your head and move on, the other option is a hair system but most guys don't like that option.

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/185377-strip-scar-repair-fue-smp.html

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I would do some in person consults for fue. I think 2500 or so to fill in the temporal recession and bridge through the mid scalp could help, but you'd need to be on fin to prevent the sides from dropping more. It could be a possibility but you'd need to see a trusted doc.

Hair System is an option and the most immediate solution. However, weak sides make blending these harder, but it may work.

Then just going for the shave and smp. However, I think if money wasnt an issue, I'd still try to connect the hairline to.the sides with fue. Tough case man.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Also,.check out YouTube and see what you think of hair systems. You may want to start at a salon that does good work. These are as elusive as good hair surgeons do do research, then you can move to the diy route. Check out the Northwest Lace Forum for that.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

I know how you feel.

Your situation made me immediately think of Dr. Umar. He has posted on many cases where donor supply is short and scars are a problem. Have you written to him? He may be able to offer you an option besides shaving and trying to forget it.

I don't think that having an alternate focus--tanning, the gym, etc.-- is a bad idea, but my approach was to always sort of stay in the game to keep my hope alive just a bit. Baby steps, sort of. It was just my way. You have to do what keeps you going.

Good luck. Don't lose hope.

I'm going to offer a suggestion, rather than just the "tan and shave it off route", which, really, might have to be the last resort.

Have you tried fin and minoxidil to see if you can get regrowth in the mid scalp and crown?j

Presumably, the forelock and some of the hairline is permanent hair from your transplant. A good surgeon may be able to work around this and fill it out with some fue/body hair.

If you have the money to throw at it, i'd consider a consultation re some fue into hairline and mid scalp, or body hair, if you're a candidate.

Your donor does not look strong, but it's hard to tell from pictures.

Sad to read you broke up with your girlfriend of 5 years. I'd like to think this was due to other issues, rather than your hair situation.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

I would do some in person consults for fue. I think 2500 or so to fill in the temporal recession and bridge through the mid scalp could help, but you'd need to be on fin to prevent the sides from dropping more. It could be a possibility but you'd need to see a trusted doc.

Hair System is an option and the most immediate solution. However, weak sides make blending these harder, but it may work.

Then just going for the shave and smp. However, I think if money wasnt an issue, I'd still try to connect the hairline to.the sides with fue. Tough case man.

Im not going to give up. You can't put a price on happiness. Im hoping to speak with Umar to try the above. If I spend 30k and it doesnt work out as planned I still wouldn't consider it wasted. I have fin and I'm going to start taking it today... Thanks

I know how you feel.

Your situation made me immediately think of Dr. Umar. He has posted on many cases where donor supply is short and scars are a problem. Have you written to him? He may be able to offer you an option besides shaving and trying to forget it.

I don't think that having an alternate focus--tanning, the gym, etc.-- is a bad idea, but my approach was to always sort of stay in the game to keep my hope alive just a bit. Baby steps, sort of. It was just my way. You have to do what keeps you going.

Good luck. Don't lose hope.

Thanks! Im trying man.. Hoping its possible for Umar to do a body hair transplant. I dont know a lot about them but I'm willing to do whatever is needed

I'm going to offer a suggestion, rather than just the "tan and shave it off route", which, really, might have to be the last resort.

Have you tried fin and minoxidil to see if you can get regrowth in the mid scalp and crown?j

Presumably, the forelock and some of the hairline is permanent hair from your transplant. A good surgeon may be able to work around this and fill it out with some fue/body hair.

If you have the money to throw at it, i'd consider a consultation re some fue into hairline and mid scalp, or body hair, if you're a candidate.

Your donor does not look strong, but it's hard to tell from pictures.

Sad to read you broke up with your girlfriend of 5 years. I'd like to think this was due to other issues, rather than your hair situation.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Thanks.. And no.. I broke up with my girlfriend because she was a total bitch ;)

But seriously... I appreciate your advice. Im hoping to speak with Umar at some point soon (as soon as I can get a hold of him) and see what he has to say...

Start Propecia and Rogaine tomorrow. Then in 1 year book a consult with Konior in Chicago

Don't miss a dose of Propecia

2x/day with Rogaine

This will save your crown and high possibility to increase donor density

Konior will not steer you wrong

Start Propecia and Rogaine tomorrow. Then in 1 year book a consult with Konior in Chicago

Don't miss a dose of Propecia

2x/day with Rogaine

This will save your crown and high possibility to increase donor density

Konior will not steer you wrong

propecia 2x a day??

probably rogaine 2x a day.

I'd consult with drs who also do bht. maybe you can get some donor from your chest or beard. look into latanoprost. I used it before and it does work but its expensive and you must continue using just like rogaine or fin. best of luck

Man, this is a complicated situation indeed and I hate that this was done to you. Fortunately for you, you seem to have a good attitude and the finances to be able to tackle it head on. You're also not tied to any one solution/answer, which is very promising for your happiness/peace of mind.

Giving the medication a shot for a year sounds like a great place to start. See what sort of difference that makes. In the meantime, the most important thing you can do is to really do your research and find some top notch, amazing surgeons who will understand just how complicated your situation is. Use the recommended surgeons list on this site and get consultations with several of them to see if there tends to be a general consensus on how you should proceed - then move forward accordingly with what feels right to you.

Whatever you do, don't rush into anything. Should you end up being able to move forward with another HT, you really want to make sure you're making the best use possible out of your last remaining grafts.

Oh... And no more Bosley, please. :)

Best of luck and I really hope this works out for you.

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

Man, this is a complicated situation indeed and I hate that this was done to you. Fortunately for you, you seem to have a good attitude and the finances to be able to tackle it head on. You're also not tied to any one solution/answer, which is very promising for your happiness/peace of mind.

Giving the medication a shot for a year sounds like a great place to start. See what sort of difference that makes. In the meantime, the most important thing you can do is to really do your research and find some top notch, amazing surgeons who will understand just how complicated your situation is. Use the recommended surgeons list on this site and get consultations with several of them to see if there tends to be a general consensus on how you should proceed - then move forward accordingly with what feels right to you.

Whatever you do, don't rush into anything. Should you end up being able to move forward with another HT, you really want to make sure you're making the best use possible out of your last remaining grafts.

Oh... And no more Bosley, please. :)

Best of luck and I really hope this works out for you.

I've actually been going back and forth with Dr Umar. He thinks he can tackle my situation. I'm waiting on a few answers before I move forward but I'm feeling really good about it. He thinks he can pull 7-8k grafts from above and below the neck (beard, chest etc)... From what I understand if anyone can do it it's him. He seems like a great guy, he's the first Dr i've actually been able to go back and forth with. The other Dr's have had reps contact me which I didn't like. They reminded me of used car salesmen. Telling me how they've been the leaders of the industry and nobody can complete, blah blah blah, with all due respect... I don't care... can you help my immediate situation? lol...

I'm going to research Umar but I haven't seen anything bad about him yet... seems like if anyone can fix this mess its him

Speak with Dr. Diep. I was told by some doctors I don't have great donor supply, but I've been pleased with my first procedure thus far. I only did the frontal third so far, but going back to do the rest and I've been pleased.

I also sympathize with you and your situation. If I was you I'd do one of 3 things... find a legit smp(scalp micro pigmentation) artist to give the illusion of a shaved full head of hair. This will also camouflage the previous transplantwo scar. The second option would be use transplants just to get hairline really good and use a hair system for the back. 3rd option would be a very expensive option and just keep doing transplants. Once head donor is full tapped go to neck beard then body hair. Extremely expensive option butif of you have the money it might be worth it. Texture and look won't be ideal but better than a bald spot. Best of luck man.