2250 FUE planned for July with Dr.Diep

mikenguyen

Long story short, I am 23 years old and has been dealing with MPH for over 5 years now and I am currently a NW3. Here's the link to my previous thread where I talked about my hair loss and what led me to the decision of having a hair transplant:http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/185401-23-seriously-considering-hair-transplant.html

Today, I had a chance to meet Dr.Diep in person and we had a great conversation. It was a little crazy because for the last 5 years I have been watching Dr.Diep's videos on youtube and today I was in his office talking to him in person. We decided that I would undergo a hair transplant using the FUE method. He drew my hairline and I thought that it was not too aggressive or too conservative. From the mid eye-brow to my hairline will be around 7cm, which is on the high side for Asian males. However, I have always had a big forehead and high hairline my whole life so having a conservative hairline is not a problem for me at all.

From the skype consultation that I had with Dr.Diep a month ago, he estimated that I would need around 1500-2000 grafts. However, after today's meeting, he said that I would need around 2000-2250 for good coverage. This is due to the fact that my head is big and my temples receed more that what he expected from the photos. What made me very happy today is the fact that he said that I am a great candidate due to the fact that my hair is very thick and strong. He said that I would be able to achieve a great result.

I have booked my surgery date to be early July this year and I am counting down everyday now. My plan now is to start using Lipogaine Minoxidil since I am not going to try Propecia at all due to the side effects.

I know that I am a young patient but this is a decision that I have put a lot of thought into. I did my research over the last few years and I know that I would need to have more surgeries down the road. I feel that this is a good time for me to start using treatment and to have my first transplant. I strongly feel that Dr.Diep will give me a natural looking hairline that I can build upon later on in my life.

Below will be some photos of today's visit with Dr.Diep. I hope to gain support from the members on this site, especially Dr.Diep's patients.

IMG_1312.jpg

IMG_1313.jpg

IMG_1314.jpg

IMG_1315.jpg

IMG_1318.jpg

Edited by mikenguyen

At 23 years old your potential for further loss if not taking propecia is extreme. Have you given any thoughts to how you will look with a band of transplanted hair in the front & thinning behind? Trust me, it is a worse feeling than recession.

If you are going to go down the surgery route I suggest you give medication a lot more serious consideration.

Good luck.

I agree with others on this.

Too young to have a transplant. Please please wait for a few more years and then re-evaluate. I understand the pain and difficulties of losing hair at such young age. But having a transplant at such an young age without proper planning causes much bigger problems.

The good news is that you seem to have thick coarse hair and you have decided against FUT (i.e. linear scar). You can always have a hair transplant anytime. You just can't undo it.

I have to echo others on this as well, too young. I totally get that you're self-conscious.

Here's what you do, buzz head very short , go to the gym and start Brazilian jujitsu.

I would definitely try alternatives before going the HT route.

I am a Diep patient myself. I personally recommend him. That being said, I strongly recommend the use of propecia. I was apprehensive about using it myself. Turns out I feel better than ever on it. It has stabilized my hair loss and it feels like my testosterone is higher. 23 is super young.... you could lose a lot of hair in the coming years. I know I did. I regret not using propecia earlier. Dr Diep prescribed it to me as well on the day of my transplant. His directions were simple. Use it. If you experience side effects, don't use it. I agree. Many members on this forum have even reported side effects, but they go away when a lower dose is used, but it still works to save hair. Anyway, just my 2 cents.

We've already discussed the cons with Mike in his previous thread.

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/185401-23-seriously-considering-hair-transplant.html

But sounds like his mind is made up.

Though Dr. Diep is a great surgeon for FUE, I would serous once again consider how to manage your lifetime donor grafts, going with an elite FUT surgeon first then FUE later to get the maximum out of your donor, given your current advanced hairloss at your age and your desire to pursue the HT path.

anyway good luck

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

• Administrators

Mike before you do anything do me a big favor and buzz your head, I think every guy should buzz their head before committing to surgery, it's inexpensive and no risk, as I've discussed with you the likelihood of you balding significantly is high, so many times I have seen guys want to repair strip scars or smp FUE scars because they want to shave their head and move on, buzzing your head now will allow you to feel what it would be like to do nothing. I buzzed my head for a year prior to surgery and I'm glad I did, I knew after living bald for a year I wanted to take the risk knowing the full implications.

You have to remember that HT surgery is permanent and I only wish to educate you on what may occur mentally, if you do not achieve the result you desire how would you feel? Would it be worse than being bald? If so don't do it, I say these things only because I want you to fully understand what it is to get surgery. Any questions feel free to pm me to talk.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Completely agree with HTsoon. I wish I had shaved my hair prior to surgery as when they did it in the clinic I was actually quite pleased with how I looked. Ultimately I still wanted to have the surgery but perhaps if I had done so over the past 10 years rather than try to conceal I would have accepted me for who I was. Our fears are often worse than the reality we are faced with.

First Transplant: 5000 FUE grafts with Dr Koray Erdogan ASMED, December 2016

First Hair Transplant link: http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/185564-5000-grafts-fue-13th-14th-december-asmed-dr-erdogan.html

Hair loss regime

Propecia 1mg daily

Saw Palmetto 450mg daily

Biotin 1000ug daily

MSM 1500mg daily

Pumpkin Seed Oil 1000mg daily

1% Nizoral shampoo weekly

Lasercomb x 3 weekly

Firstly, I would like to say thank you to everyone for your comments either they are encouragements or criticisms. Especially I would like to send a big thank you to HTSoon and hsrp10 for following me to this thread. I knew that my decision would receive a lot of criticisms but I am always open for more ideas and opinions. I made this decision knowing that I will need to have multiple transplants later in my life to fill in the bald patches that will come in the future. This is an investment that I am willing to make. I am at a critical part of my life where I need to be the most confident.

I completely understand why doing my first transplant with FUT is more logical but since I always wear my hair at the back short, I don't think that it is a good option for me at the moment. Furthermore, I think that the first transplant is the most important and I want to choose a surgeon that can create a natural looking hairline and truly understands the Asian hairline. This led me to Dr.Diep and his amazing FUE results. While Dr.Diep told me that he can go lower with my hairline, I want a conservative hairline which is 7cm from the mid eye-brows. This would take less grafts and will give me a suitable hairline later on in my life. In terms of my donor area, my hair is quite thick which will give me better coverage with fewer grafts compare to someone who has thinner hairs. When I go and cut my hair, my hair stylist always has to cut my hair at the back and on the side much thinner because my hair is too thick and puffy. Dr.Diep told me that he could go up to 8000 grafts with my donor area.

In terms of treatment, I will start using Lipogaine minoxidil next week. My plan is to see whether it would halt or at least slow down my hair loss. From your comments, I will definitely give Propecia a second thought. I have always been scared due to the side effects especially if they are permanent. I am planning to get married and have kids in the next few years and I don't want anything that messes with my hormones to the point that I don't have sexual desire or is unable to have kids. I know that the sides are rare but can you guys give me some more information about this drug and some of the sides that you guys might've experienced? Dr.Diep also told me the importance of Propecia and Minoxidil to halt future hairloss. Starting next week I will start using Lipogaine shampoo 3 times a week and Lipogaine Minoxidil once a day before bed.

To HTSoon, my head is shaped weirdly that's why I never wear my hair too short. I have a longer skull that shapes upward and the back of my head is short of flat (my parents let me lay on my back too much when I was a baby :( . If I buzz my head, my head will look somewhat like an alien head shape

Yes you are young, but if you are committed to the process and plan it out very well, I think you should do what makes you happy. I don't agree that somehow reaching an arbitrary age of 25, which by the time you actually have the transplant is only a year further away, would make it suddenly any less risky. You've already shown that you are mature and have thought about this deeply. I think you are also wise to settle on a more conservative hairline. Everything I've seen indicates that you are level-headed and not making an emotional, irrational decision like some 35 year olds I've seen post on here that go to some no name clinic, get butchered, and live to regret it. None of that is true in this case.

You're committed to the process and going to a proven doctor.

I think people are just trying to give him the facts and not deter him from doing what he wants to do. The fact of the matter is that once you are in this business you are in it for life. So I think it's good that he is presented with opinions and facts from people who have been there.

I do agree with you though mikenguyen when you say you would rather stay away from FUT but this will limit your donor supply. If FUE is the way forward then at this age you have to start Finasteride in my opinion. I started at a similar age to you, 1mg everyday for the past 10 years. 3 healthy kids later and I'm doing fine and never experienced a single side. I think my wife was hoping it might diminish my sex drive to be honest though. What this meant is that I've managed to largely keep what hair I head from

25 through to 35.

First Transplant: 5000 FUE grafts with Dr Koray Erdogan ASMED, December 2016

First Hair Transplant link: http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/185564-5000-grafts-fue-13th-14th-december-asmed-dr-erdogan.html

Hair loss regime

Propecia 1mg daily

Saw Palmetto 450mg daily

Biotin 1000ug daily

MSM 1500mg daily

Pumpkin Seed Oil 1000mg daily

1% Nizoral shampoo weekly

Lasercomb x 3 weekly

I'm not sure it's clear that starting with FUT maximizes the donor supply. For someone like OP, with potential to advance further norwoods, he'll have the exit strategy of buzzing his hair down, although oddly, he doesn't like that idea. It's not a reliable predictor, but on the bright side doesn't look like dad and grandpa were NW6, so that's good.

I think people are just trying to give him the facts and not deter him from doing what he wants to do. The fact of the matter is that once you are in this business you are in it for life. So I think it's good that he is presented with opinions and facts from people who have been there.

I do agree with you though mikenguyen when you say you would rather stay away from FUT but this will limit your donor supply. If FUE is the way forward then at this age you have to start Finasteride in my opinion. I started at a similar age to you, 1mg everyday for the past 10 years. 3 healthy kids later and I'm doing fine and never experienced a single side. I think my wife was hoping it might diminish my sex drive to be honest though. What this meant is that I've managed to largely keep what hair I head from

25 through to 35.

Thank you so much for your kind words and advices DEB1982. Your comments definitely made me rethink my attitude towards Finasteride. However, I will stick to my plan of using Lipogaine Minox and Lipogaine Shampoo for now to see if I can slow down my hairloss. If things continue to get worse in the next few months, I will definitely look into taking Fin and see if I experience any side effects. Again, I am just afraid of the sides being permanent!

I also use lipogaine and lipogaine shampoo. I like them both. I chose Dr Diep for his excellent results with fue. I did not want that fut scar as well. I'm happy with the result.

That's great to hear! Do you have a thread where you post your results? I would be very interested in seeing your results.

How often do you use lipogaine minoxidil and the shampoo? The lipogaine shampoo that I am currently using is the purple one that doesnt have ketaconazole. Do you apply minox to your whole scalp or just the area that is receding?

Dude, consider meds and wait till your late 20's. That looks like aggressive loss and at 23. You'll be chasing procedures if you dont wait till the loss stabilizes.

This procedure is time consuming. Youll be disturbed with days off work and your family. Cant afford to do this surgery or repairs over and over. Plan it smart. Dont rush and research more.

None of this advice is to shatter your dreams of getting your hair back, but it is advice for your safety. Best wishes.

That's great to hear! Do you have a thread where you post your results? I would be very interested in seeing your results.

How often do you use lipogaine minoxidil and the shampoo? The lipogaine shampoo that I am currently using is the purple one that doesnt have ketaconazole. Do you apply minox to your whole scalp or just the area that is receding?

No unfortunately I don't have a thread. I went to see Dr Diep for my one year checkup and

he was very happy with the results, like me. I will have another ht in the next year or two to address the crown and will document it. I switched back to rogaine foam recently and use it twice a day on my crown. I have the lipogaine shampoo with keto and use it every third day.

I'm a tad confused on why people tend to recommend so strongly against a younger person doing a transplant? there's no way to look into an hourglass and predict future hairloss so why wait through ones prime years waiting to see what might happen later on? if someone could predict with great certainly what the degree of future hairloss will be then decision would be easy. but that's impossible so why wait for a more bald self 10 years later? worst cause one gIves up and shaves head. better sooner than later, no?

I am a diep patient and my result is pretty good. I had surgery at 45 years old, though. even at this age I will probably lose more hair but I really just wanted to fix my hairline and not be depressed when I looked in the mirror. right now I look like I have a full head of hair and I hope it lasts me til my mid 50's and that was my goal- to buy me some time. I'd probably get another ht when my hair loss progresses if hair is still important to me at that time.

I understand a lot of the guys concerns about you being too young but honestly I would do it. lets face it you are 23 and balding pretty bad. do you want to spend your 20's worrying about balding? the reason I got a fue is that I figured I could always shave my head in the future if I lost the rest of the head on my hair anyway.

no matter what happens the option to shave your head is always available if you choose a fue procedure so why not have hair until you get to the point where your hair loss can't be fixed anymore with surgery. with a ht and meds you maybe able to buy yourself a decade or so but you should really get more aggressive with the meds.

you should ask diep about worst case scenario do you have enough grafts to cover future baldness and you should be prepared that you may need more surgeries. I would get a ht and hopefully it keeps you looking good til you're in your 30's. its all depends on how bad your desire is to have hair.

along with rogaine look into some topical oils like emu or pumpkin to block dht.

Edited by matt1164