Do HT patients have low self esteem?

When I told my friends, that I was planning to have a hair transplant surgery their reaction was " What? you pays thousands of dollars just for your hair issues? You must have a very low self esteem because a lot of guys are bald and don't care, why don't shave your head?"

Do you think they are right, when they pointed that paying a lot of money and going through surgery pain just because someone feels bad about balding is a sign of low self esteem ?

• Moderators

Do they get haircuts? If so then they are paying money for their hair issues also aren't they? Is it because they have low self esteem? Why are they doing that if they just said it doesn't matter? I never understood anyone saying these things while they are doing the same things. Tell them there are some homeless guys who never shower either, so they should stop doing that too.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

• Moderators

If it's women telling you these things then tell them to stop wearing makeup because that's a sign of low self esteem.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

• Administrators

I think it's actually the opposite, myself for example, I have always taken pride in my appearance, from my clothing to my shoes, to my physique, when I began to lose my hair it was terrible. If I had low self esteem I would not care about my hair because, even with hair i'd feel bad about myself. There is a difference between having an insecurity and low self esteem. I used to take 30-40 min every morning when I was a teenager doing my hair making sure every strand was perfect. I still do that today now that I got my hair back and boy is it a good feeling to walk out with a nice hairstyle it brings out your features and sets your whole style off.

I would bet money these friends of yours are not bald, It's easy to say just shave your head when it's not your own. You can try shaving your head and see if you like it, I shaved my head for a year before I had an HT and to be honest it's not for me. I didn't feel comfortable a shaved head did not suit my style at all.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I would bet money these friends of yours are not bald, It's easy to say just shave your head when it's not your own. You can try shaving your head and see if you like it, I shaved my head for a year before I had an HT and to be honest it's not for me. I didn't feel comfortable a shaved head did not suit my style at all.

Yes you're right the ones who told me that were either non balding guys or female friends.

My friends who are bald were less judgmental and even admitted that when they started balding it bothered them at the beginning but now they got used to it and decided to move on in their life.

Immediately inquiring if one has low self-esteem is a knee jerk reaction. A thoughtful person would inquire if balding is causing any distress or confidence problems - and offer some support of the cause and discuss your options.

Next time someone asks this, just reply "define low self-esteem". And after his/her grappling with the definition, just say "vocabulary is not your strong suit, eh?"

I'm serious.  Just look at my face.

My Hair Regimen: Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

In some cases, the psychological effects are actually more difficult to accept than the physical injury from hair loss. From what I have seen in many patients, the natural process of hair loss isn't the sole cause for patients' low esteem. Finding value in the opinion of others is how hair loss sufferers become victim of low self-esteem. HT patients and those who don't undergo surgery can learn to have high self-esteem. The process in which a person thinks is unique to how they see themselves. Our youth is impressionable with surgery, especially since hair transplants are meant to create an illusion. :(:o:(

My opinions are my own. I am one representative of MyWHTC Clinic's European branch.

Consultation Dates & Cities for Dr. Patrick Mwamba

London, United Kingdom - Available (Sat.)

Zurich, Switzerland - Available (Saturday)

Bologna, Italy - Available (Saturday)

Brussles, Belgium - Available (Sun.-Sat.) *No Fee*

Dr. Patrick Mwamba is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

The people who are criticizing you probably have hair I bet. If you want to do something to help your looks then do it.

Yeah, Michael Jordan, Andre Agassi and Patrick Stewart and some select celebrities are bald with self-esteem but they have a couple things in common, fame and wealth.

Trying to have self-esteem as an average joe plus being bald can wreak havoc on our self-worth plus we live in a world that is youth oriented and even though we don't admit it, our looks can influence our success in the future.

If any of the celebrities I mentioned above did not have fame/success, they would feel the same insecurities as everyone else, believe me. I know most people want to be like Mike...just not bald like Mike! :P

Edited by Qneedhair

With any kind of cosmetic surgery patients have to become somewhat immune to what certain family, friends, co-workers think and say. A large segment of people are just "not going to get it" and no amount of discussion will convince them or result in their approval.

Cosmetic surgery is certainly not for everyone. It is just not on some people's radar. But that's true with many things. I enjoy great seats at rock concerts. Some friends, family, and co-workers think it is "dumb" to spend money on such endeavors. Who cares what they think if I enjoy it? We all have our own desires, hobbies, and goals that are ours and ours alone. We shouldn't need other's approval to pursue what is important to us.

Of course I know that some of my friends, family, and co-workers may think me having two hair transplants in the last 4 years is "a waste of money", "vain", "you don't really need it". But who cares what they think....as long as I am doing what is important to me? I might think them buying a neon yellow car is "dumb", but who cares?....if that's what they want to do.

Almost all adults have something about their appearance they would like to change if they could. So believe me if a few are openly critical of you considering a hair transpalnt, many others are quietly saying to themselves "gosh I wish I could have bariatric surgery", or "I wish I would get my nose fixed", "I wish I had white straight teeth", or "I wish I could get a face lift for these wrinkles".

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

It's a simple matter of wanting back what was once there!...:cool:

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

I think hair transplant is a cosmetic procedure that will change your appearance and absolutely will not increase your self worth or self confidence.

If you want to change your appearance, consider seeing a hair transplant doctor.

If you want to change your self image or self worth, consider seeing psychiatrist.

I think hair transplant is a cosmetic procedure that will change your appearance and absolutely will not increase your self worth or self confidence.

If you want to change your appearance, consider seeing a hair transplant doctor.

If you want to change your self image or self worth, consider seeing psychiatrist.

I don't believe this is true at all. Self worth and self image are directly tied to how you feel about your appearance. IF your appearance changes, your self-esteem can change with it. When it comes to something like balding, there is also the stigma associated with it, you look at the media and badling/bald men are treated as if they are less, they are clowns, losers and on and on. It is very apparent when you start balding and get to the more advance stages that it effects your dating life quite drastically. Not only that, but people feel as if it is socially acceptable to mock and tease others who are losing their hair. I have litterally had friends stopped associating with me with more progressed hair loss.

I see the only people who really don't care about hairloss are ones that were never attractive to begin with with or ones that just happen to look great bald (which is a very small amount).

Edited by azakdan2682

I can't answer for everyone, I'm sure some may have esteem issues.

Personally I hate the HT marketing angle of "restored confidence". Confidence or esteem only comes from constantly doing esteem-able acts. We are what we consistently do. For me it was also working on my faith to overcome fears as a younger man. Confidence must come from within.

So if our confidence and esteem are wrapped up in our hair, job, house, money, spouse, family etc and we lose these things what happens? We lose self worth?

I'm 56 married, plenty of friends and established in business. It would have been a lot easier for me to do nothing about hair loss, but I do take a lot of pride in my appearance, work to stay in shape etc, so I went for what I wanted which was a little bit of hair....nothing easy about this whole HT process though.

People do a lot of things to improve and maintain their appearance, so whatever. If I need to pin it on a character defect I would call it "vanity" for me. Guess I will own it.

Is it low self esteem to look after your teeth & visit the dentist?

Is it low self esteem to go to the gym & exercise for a healthy body?

Unfortunately with hair, for those of us that take pride in our appearance & want to look good, sometimes the only solution is surgery which many in the general public consider quite radical.

but i m still cannot find solution

Sam have you considered seeing a mental healthcare professional?

It appears that your hair loss and problems associated with your hair transplant surgery could be leading to depression which is a serious condition that should be evaluated by a professional that can help you better deal with the issues you are facing.

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

As a last resort, I believe a person can always fall back on the wig!

If there is a scalp condition that prevents a normal hairpiece, even the pull over wigs these days can look very impressive. Put on in the morning, take off at night & get on with life.

Why it is so hard to get back where i start

I do not want hair anymore, and i do not want wig

I do not have a mental issue, i give a proper dignose of mycase, i have a skin issue which no doctor could find a solution without proposing remove the reason

I cannot go out without feeling pain, i cannot work out without feeling burning sensation

If i would have a mental issue, it will be from the skin and its pain, nobody knows what i m suffering everyday, i want to feel normal, with healthy skin again,

Sometimes i cannot sleep without cortizone, i envy now everyone who can walk under sun and go to any place he want

I cannot go to the beach, i cannot play sport, all becuase of this procedure

The skin under transplanted area is ruined and it is now intolerance to anything

All becuase of this stupid doctor and the clinic who did not have any ethics by tellingvthe people the truth, only misleading people abd destroy their life later, those are criminal

Is it low self esteem to look after your teeth & visit the dentist?

Is it low self esteem to go to the gym & exercise for a healthy body?

Unfortunately with hair, for those of us that take pride in our appearance & want to look good, sometimes the only solution is surgery which many in the general public consider quite radical.

This, plus society looks down and mocks people with hairloss. I can think of the amount of negative comments or disrespects I have had because of it, not to mention how women see me as less attractive because of it. This isn't a self-esteem problem, it is a real thing that anyone going through it would Exp, I sadly always wished the ppl who made the most comments about my hairloss would have it happen to them, just so they would know what it is like.