Strip vs FUE vs mFUE - Dr. Alan Feller Great Neck, NY

Back into the fray. ;) I was just on an international flight at 3 different airports and realized they are a great place to look at peoples heads. So much spare time and nothing else to do. What I noticed is that 9 out of 10 men have their hair short in the back. Maybe its the fashion of the moment but both older business men and young hipsters have pretty close cropped hair back there.

While on the flights I realized that as men age the donor area really does thin out also. Again a great place to check NW levels. Basically I realized that a FUT scar would be detectable on most of these men. They would essentially have to wear their hair longer than the social norm, this would also make their recipient areas look thinner in comparison.

I am hoping that mFUE might be the magic bullet. I hope it works out.

It has its place as I perform FUE regularly, but for the larger cases Strip is still the undisputed KING of hair transplant results.

There are world class FUE docs out there performing large FUE sessions with great results and with yields approximately the same as FUT. Lorenzo comes to mind as the gold standard example for FUE.

So tell me... why would I ever want to get a giant scar on my head in exchange for a difference in yield that is imperceivable?

I can't help but wonder... does it keep you up at night knowing you're recommending and performing FUT on people without explaining to them that there are top FUE doctors out there who can accomplish the desired result, without disfiguring their head? Because I would have a hard time living with myself if I did what you did.

Not everyone gets a hidious scar from a strip some scars are nearly undetectable if the person heals well and the scar doesn't stretch . With a large FUE you have a lot more tiny holes and you usually have no donor area left after it's been depleted by thousands of mini scars in your head . Fue take hair from everywhere on your head . I would still choose strip and only have one area affected vs thinning out hairs from the whole back and sides of my head . I'm not against FUE if it's done for a small area but to loose 3 to 4 thousand hairs all over my head bothers me. Plus FUE takes a lot longer so you have to have the patience to sit there or lie on your face for several hours or go back the next day for them to finish ,plus the damage that may occur to that many grafts when they are plucking them out of your head is not for me . They may get 4 thousand grafts but they could be of much less quality then a graft cut under a microscope from a strip.

Jo,

Very nicely said. You've summed up some of the more complicated issues very succinctly and eloquently!

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Magnum,

We really do hope it helps "marry the two worlds" for a good number of patients. Excited with what we are seeing so far, and we continue researching and moving onto bigger sessions!

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

There are world class FUE docs out there performing large FUE sessions with great results and with yields approximately the same as FUT. Lorenzo comes to mind as the gold standard example for FUE.

So tell me... why would I ever want to get a giant scar on my head in exchange for a difference in yield that is imperceivable?

I can't help but wonder... does it keep you up at night knowing you're recommending and performing FUT on people without explaining to them that there are top FUE doctors out there who can accomplish the desired result, without disfiguring their head? Because I would have a hard time living with myself if I did what you did.

Because it is not true, doctors aren't getting the same results with FUE as they are with FUT. Not that I am sympathetic towards Feller after he needlessly attacked Mickey, but your argument is pretty foolish, combines inaccurate information with slurs.

I guess the pro FUE army has a lot in common with the pro FUT army.

Jo,

Very nicely said. You've summed up some of the more complicated issues very succinctly and eloquently!

Blake would say that because he pro FUT period....that's okay that's his take on things.

Let's talk about people who had a FUT & the damage nerv& the loss of feeling in the back of the head which some but not all say haven't returned to normal after several years of so called healing.

What if a guy in his 20s early 30s has FUT scar & over the years his donor gets thin & what happens then that big ass ugly scar shows its face? So what? Dig some FUEs out & waste more donor hair & have more depleated back of head?

I personally don't think there be a lot of demand for FUT in say 5/10yrs because customers simply don't want that SCAR

At least with FUE it won't be the end of the world, shave down & move on with your life.

You can't say that about FUT can you blake if some poor soul lost more hair & tapped out of donor?

People keep talking about the SCAR, but that's not the dead giveaway of a hair transplant, it's sparse, pluggy hair growth. Scars just aren't that noticeable, odd looking hair on top is very noticeable.

Also, your donor shouldn't be thinning out if you're on fin. That's the worst case scenario, and not a fair picture of an HT.

Ontop,

You're right ... I am pro follicular unit hair transplantation (FUT), whether it be via the FUE or FUSS (strip method) ; )

Which nerves are you referring to? The potential for damage is actually much higher with FUE because a much larger area is cut. Dr Feller put up a good video about this. I'll post it if I remember later on.

Because it is not true, doctors aren't getting the same results with FUE as they are with FUT. Not that I am sympathetic towards Feller after he needlessly attacked Mickey, but your argument is pretty foolish, combines inaccurate information with slurs.

I guess the pro FUE army has a lot in common with the pro FUT army.

So the likes of Dr Lorenzo, Dr Vories, Dr Reddy, Dr Erdogan, Dr Diep to name a few are not getting results similar to FUT? Of course they are.

People keep talking about the SCAR, but that's not the dead giveaway of a hair transplant, it's sparse, pluggy hair growth. Scars just aren't that noticeable, odd looking hair on top is very noticeable.

Also, your donor shouldn't be thinning out if you're on fin. That's the worst case scenario, and not a fair picture of an HT.

I saw a guy at the gym last week. It was obvious from looking at the back of his head he had scar. How could I tell? He had a short hair style such a grade 4. He looked good but the way the hair was sticking out the scar...something like the angles of the donor hair seemed odd. I cannot really explain it.

Fin doesn't stop hair loss it slows it down. Donor hair is no expection to fin either. It may thin

No, they are not.

Nice reply. Of course they are. These guys have have honed their skills on fue just like the way H&W honed their skills regarding fut

Common sense (and most HT Surgeons I have opened a dialogue with) is telling me to go FUT/FUSS for a first large procedure and ensure that my donor area is still intact enough for later procedures if needed. Financially, it makes more sense and in terms of growth, it makes more sense. But takes away the option of ever shaving my head when things progress (I'm 25 and not on fin)

Irresponsible optimism is telling me to go for an FUE session, restore at least some kind of decent look for a few years and then either a) things progress but i'll be older and will just buzz it all, or b) there will be a permanent cure or something which will halt my HL progressing, enabling me to maybe get an FUE top up of fewer grafts.

Currently require 3500-4000 grafts. Bloody tough decision.

With any type of cut you are going to get a scar and the scar looses it's pigmentation and becomes white so if you have a 4000 Fue case and you cut your hair very short and you got a tan your 4000 dots are going to be white and noticeable just my opinion

With any type of cut you are going to get a scar and the scar looses it's pigmentation and becomes white so if you have a 4000 Fue case and you cut your hair very short and you got a tan your 4000 dots are going to be white and noticeable just my opinion

I totally agree with that. It depends on the punch size used. But still doesn't stopping the scarring. Both methods have their cons. At the end of the day both leave scars

Where is your evidence they are not ?

There are several hundred patient cases posted online that would debunk your unsubstantiated opinion .

Took the words out of my mouth fella!

Blake would say that because he pro FUT period....that's okay that's his take on things.

Let's talk about people who had a FUT & the damage nerv& the loss of feeling in the back of the head which some but not all say haven't returned to normal after several years of so called healing.

What if a guy in his 20s early 30s has FUT scar & over the years his donor gets thin & what happens then that big ass ugly scar shows its face? So what? Dig some FUEs out & waste more donor hair & have more depleated back of head?

I personally don't think there be a lot of demand for FUT in say 5/10yrs because customers simply don't want that SCAR

At least with FUE it won't be the end of the world, shave down & move on with your life.

You can't say that about FUT can you blake if some poor soul lost more hair & tapped out of donor?

Ontop you are never going to hear anything negative towards the FUT procedure from Blake, Hairjo or anyone else connected to Dr Feller / Lindsay. As this procedure is their bread and butter and they are unable to perform large FUE sessions to a high standard. If they are i certainly haven't seen any results recently to confirm this and would welcome to see some.

This is all fair enough. I would just hope certain potential patients have the foresight to do their research and realise they could be FUE candidates should they wish to have that procedure. If they went to Dr Feller they certainly would not be told this. If i went to these guys unprepared and was persuaded in to FUT and then realised after the surgery i could have got an FUE i would be furious.

I keep an open mind to MFUE but from what i see so far i have big question marks regarding scarring as it looks like mini strips. Again best to keep an open mind until their are grown out results. I will say i have never seen anything as hyped in advance without an end product to display.

Where is your evidence they are not ?

There are several hundred patient cases posted online that would debunk your unsubstantiated opinion .

These are big words coming from a guy who claims FUE has 90% yield, but when is pressed for evidence, he goes silent.

As for my argument, appearance is a subjective opinion, you cannot prove something looks better. So just look at the results, and be honest...

These are big words coming from a guy who claims FUE has 90% yield, but when is pressed for evidence, he goes silent.

As for my argument, appearance is a subjective opinion, you cannot prove something looks better. So just look at the results, and be honest...

Hmm thats not the way i recall it.:confused:

Your reply is a joke. I rest my case.