Strip vs FUE vs mFUE - Dr. Alan Feller Great Neck, NY

Dr. Feller,

Thank you for sharing this video.

You mentioned that FUT has a better yield than FUE in your clinic. On average, what yield does your clinic get via the FUE method?

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

The video conjures up the image to me of Ron Propeil pitching his Veg-o-matic on late night TV but with out the professional production and editing. Not sure who the intended audience is but not a particularly effective message.

Thank you for viewing the video and participating.

Delancy,

FUT has better yield than FUE in EVERY clinic due to the nature of the two procedures. FUE is absolutely brutal to the graft compared to FUT, that's just how it is. A reasonable estimate of the high end of yield for FUE is 80% and probably lower. I have seen FUE results as low as 20% along with the typical donor area decimation. That's not to say there aren't some great FUE results out there that produce 100% yield, but these are the exception not the rule unfortunately. This is what prompted a search for a "better way".

Hairweare,

And for only $9.95 you can get three extra cans of "spray on hair" if you order now. I remember those Ron Popeil commercials well. Those may well have been my introduction to fighting hair loss.

Seriously though, the purpose of the video is to set the record straight as to the differences between FUE and Strip. Each and every day I give the same "speech" during consultation in my office so I felt a casual presentation online would be helpful. I am still amazed that almost no person interested in FUE knows or understands the downside of the procedure and that it is not a substitute for Strip procedure. It has its place as I perform FUE regularly, but for the larger cases Strip is still the undisputed KING of hair transplant results.

Thank you for your interest and participation.

Dr. Alan Feller

Great Neck, NY

516-487-3797

Edited by Dr. Alan Feller

Saying that strip is the “most consistent growth/yield” is misleading. Yes, it’s consistent. And growth yield is better because strip it’s MUCH more forgiving than FUE. Meaning that a less-than skilled doc can harvest 3000 grafts via strip and reasonably expect most of the grafts to grow.

Will it look natural—that’s another story.

What I’m saying is that it’s not the procedure that screws things up with FUE (unless it’s Artas) with but rather the SKILL of the doctor. It’s that simple.

100% agree with donor damage. FUE does more damage for sure and really does limit your life-time grafts. That’s a fact and I think a lot of guys overlook this. Your best “long-term” bet is a strip/fure combo. Starting with strip. Once stripped out, you have “above and below” the line for more grafts. Going FUE only and say goodbye to 2500+ life-time grafts.

Dr. Feller, saying that you won’t perform FUE on a patient who is a candidate for FUT is silly. Most people are by “definition” candidates for FUT. I would also disagree that they “are starting at a disadvantage.”

Look at myself. I decided that FUE was the better approach because I’m on medication to slow/stop my hair loss, have enough life-time grafts for FUE as per Dr. Rahal and will opt for SMP at some point to give the illusion of greater density. In my case, FUE is the better option.

And you would have recommend that I get strip? Really?

As for “modified FUE”. Really? How does modified FUE help anyone? Kind of silly. It’s FUE, period. You’re still dealing with scaring, etc. if you decide to switch to strip down the road. You also forgot to mention that strips via FUE can create the same “strip scar effect” or “hat head.”

Start with how many life-time grafts that you need, your family history of hair loss, use of medications to stop/slow your hair loss. All will help make the decision on what procedure if best.

It’s FUE only or strip/fue combo. Meds to slow/stop your hair loss and SMP to thicken things up. That’s it.

Thank you so much Dr. Feller. Great video and very informative. It blows my mind how many HT patients view not having a linier scar as more important to them than maximizing their lifetime donor supply. Maybe it just is miss information, but I would absolutely prefer to preserve and use every single available donor graft over my lifetime. An extra 2,000 or so lifetime grafts by going with strip makes a significant difference to me. If that means a smiley face on the back of my head later on in life when I eventually have to shave down, then by G-d so be it, I'll take it. I just had an online consultation with a European surgeon for my 2nd procedure (1st procedure was FUT) and he actually said that he would prefer to perform FUE in my case so he can "cherry pick" the exact number of singles, doubles, & trebles as well as eliminate the increased risk of a new scar stretching from FUT as it would be my 2nd strip. I am thinking about sending this "coalition" surgeon the link to your video when I reply to politely decline. Other HT surgeons have all stated I have ample donor supply for a 2nd strip procedure.

Thank you so much Dr. Feller for this video. I have been looking into a hair transplant for some time but have had a hard time deciding which procedure to have. Now I believe from watching your video that Strip would be the better option of the two choices.

Look forward to more videos.

Jo

HairJo, now I think you're getting it.

Mav,

Online it seems that many patients are not concerned about the increased damage to the donor area FUE is guaranteed to produce. However, when they are given the whole story in detail during consultation almost all people understand and make the right INFORMED decision. That is, when it comes right down to it, wishful thinking aside, most people will opt for the strip procedure to maximize their chances of cosmetically significant growth.

FUEGUY,

Strip IS more consistent in terms of growth yield than FUE is. Period. It is simply the more reliable choice of the two procedures. That is an undeniable and indisputable fact of reality. For a clinic not to inform a patient of this reality in writing is to engage in the legally negligent act of failing to give INFORMED CONSENT.

In a properly performed FUE the results should be identical to strip in terms of "natural look". However, the chances for growth yield favor the strip surgery by far.

HairJo, now I think you're getting it.

Mav,

Online it seems that many patients are not concerned about the increased damage to the donor area FUE is guaranteed to produce. However, when they are given the whole story in detail during consultation almost all people understand and make the right INFORMED decision. That is, when it comes right down to it, wishful thinking aside, most people will opt for the strip procedure to maximize their chances of cosmetically significant growth.

This for me is quite a concerning comment.

I for one have serious issues with this approach and would never recommend this clinic. Railroading impressionable LESS INFORMED patients in to FUT on the day of their surgery is not my idea of Ethical.

I must say I firmly believe the yield and the quality of the grafts is better in strip vs FUE. I think FUE would be great for a scar fill in or a small area but for more coverage I would choose strip I'm not concerned with the donor scar from strip I can always cover it up with an MFUE or standard FUE down the road if the scar really bothers me

This for me is quite a concerning comment.

I for one have serious issues with this approach and would never recommend this clinic. Railroading impressionable LESS INFORMED patients in to FUT on the day of their surgery is not my idea of Ethical.

Hey bud, I seriously doubt Dr. Feller would ever railroad a patient into FUT on the day of surgery, nor did he give the impression that he would. There is a consultation process you go through before booking a procedure with the good Dr. I highly doubt he would book you in for an FUE and then force you to switch it up to an FUT procedure on the day of (for a lessor fee nocha). Do you have any evidence to back up that baseless and silly allegation? I don't have Dr Feller on my shortlist of top 5 surgeons either, but that statement was ridiculous.

Even if you believe it's true wouldn't you rather be informed of what your doctor thinks once looking at you that he does have the right to tell the patient honestly how he feels pertaining to this person's particular case then to just go ahead and do an FUE that could possibly not benefit him . I would like my doctor to give me the best options once he saw me in person even if I was dead set on FUE in the long run it's the patients decision. I'm sure a lot of these people come from all over the world and the doctors just go by pictures that were sent on line what if it's a different story when you see the person face to face and really examine what he really has to work with . I don't see any railroading here just the doctor giving his honest opinion on whats the best method to do to give the the patent what he or she is really hoping to achieve with his final results. Why shouldn't the patient be informed there is no harm in it.

I am new and I'm investigating all the new options . The knowledge I have obtained is through talking to many doctors and people who have had different procedures . I don't have a fortune to spend so I'm checking things out for myself . Do you question all new members like this it's very discouraging when you are just trying to get involved and someone is accusing you of being whatever the heck you called me . I guess you only want your opinions posted and no new members this is a big turn off and I don't have to answer to you freedom of speech pal

Hey Guys,

Mav is right. Dr Feller was referring to the consultation, not the day of surgery. The consultation occurs months before surgery.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Dr. Feller has always been one of my favorite HT docs .. always at the top of the list for reasons shown in this video , his knowledge and transparency to better inform patients and other docs in the HT community - thanks Dr. Feller!

Hairjo, if you are sincere and for real welcome to the HT forum community. As a relative newbie, good advice would be to ask more questions if you are at the research phase and not try to post authoritative conclusions when you don't yet have the knowledge or experience to do so.

Unless you only want your temples peaks doing jo and seen as how you say you have not got a fortune to spend you might be better looking elsewhere than feller and bloxham.

Dr erdogan in turkey is about four times cheaper for fue.

If you dont want to travel abroad Dr vories is two and a half times cheaper for fue.

Their prices may have changed but to my knowledge these are correct.

Do your research jo it will pay divedends in the end.

I am new and I'm investigating all the new options . The knowledge I have obtained is through talking to many doctors and people who have had different procedures . I don't have a fortune to spend so I'm checking things out for myself . Do you question all new members like this it's very discouraging when you are just trying to get involved and someone is accusing you of being whatever the heck you called me . I guess you only want your opinions posted and no new members this is a big turn off and I don't have to answer to you freedom of speech pal

Ill take your advise but the knowledge I've obtained is by reading and I have met a lot of people in my 10 years of looking into a transplant I wasn't that into it that much at first because my hair seemed to fall out a little not really enough to concern me so I started asking around I figured my hair loss wasn't so bad so I procrastinated and waited to do a HT then it seemed like all of a sudden it was gone and even my donor area got thinner . I have a lot of friends in my age group that have been to different doctors and a lot of times I went with them so I've had a lot of discussions with people and doctors for the past 10 years so I've been weighing the pros and cons of what I have seen with my own eyes and heard with my own ears plus literature I have read. Fortunately I have friends that are up front with me and are not opposed to me joining them on consults with different doctors and most doctors don't mind me joining the consult because they know I'm in need for hair restoration myself. I can't say I'm a expert on the subject but what I believe to be true in my opinion I'd like to share . I research before I talk off the top of my head if I make a wrong statement because of lack of complete knowledge I don't mind being being corrected . I just want to give advise to things I've witnessed ,heard and believe to be true.

If you are truly seeking advice then I suggest that you post some pictures and I am sure that many other experienced vets here will comment and be of some help to you. If you have already decided after your 10 yrs of research what is the point of your posts?

Hairjo, if you are sincere and for real welcome to the HT forum community. As a relative newbie, good advice would be to ask more questions if you are at the research phase and not try to post authoritative conclusions when you don't yet have the knowledge or experience to do so.

I couldn't disagree more. Just because the guy is relatively new to this forum doesn't mean he doesn't have a wealth of knowledge on the subject. I appreciate hearing all the differing views, and I think we can all tell when someone who doesn't have a clue makes a silly statement. hairjo, welcome to this incredible community, and don't let this guy get to you.

I just like to give advise that has helped me . Why do people still participate even after they are satisfied with their H/T it's because they want to share their knowledge. I have already been seen in person by professional HT docs why do I need to share my photos with people who are not qualified as to what procedure or what doctor I should go to when I have already made my choice but I'm always up to learn more and experiences that people have had with other doctors . I also have to consider the location of the doctor I choose I'm not about globe trotting to find the best doctor when I believe I have found one of the best an hour drive away from my home . I took a lot of factors into consideration

....FUE would be great for a scar fill in or a small area

....I'm not concerned with the donor scar

....I can always cover it up with an MFUE or standard FUE down the road

If FUE yield is poor, it will be poor in small areas too.

Always makes me wonder why guys who are concerned with FUE yield - and of course they should be - start thinking that small areas will be OK! BS!! this is not alright. If you have temple holes, empty crowns and especially scar tissue, what is sub-par yield gonna do? Make you feel worse.

Either it works or it doesn't.

And JO, never ever ever believe that filling a strip scar with FUE will guarantee you will not look like a clown if you lose your crown. Your scar could be buckled, have dips etc.

And never assume a scar won't bother you at sometime in the deep future. If you lose more hair, and you don't like a thin crown (check Dr. Feller's crown - typical front-loaded North American strip job) you will ask your self about buzzing and being 'free' of all this. Strip = No Exit. No line of retreat. The only line is the scar line, and no matter what you tell yourself about it, it means nothing in eyes of society. You are a marked man. Vanity, hair transplant etc..

I can't say I'm a expert on the subject but what I believe to be true in my opinion I'd like to share.

While I applaud your research, unless you've had a procedure, experienced it, weighed your original research and expectations against the realities that then occured personally pre-op, post-op and on through the process both mentally and physically, then you are correct. You are not an expert. Everything you're posting here is second hand. Or as you say, your opinion.

While opinions are welcomed (and there are clearly many of them posted here), nothing should substitute Doctor forum contributions, personal consultations and careful reading from actual patients before making any HT decision. The rest is noise to a certain degree in my opinion - non first-hand, non medical professional opinions. Particularly since you have yet to share your characteristics.

But it appears you've already made up your mind on your Doc, but are not looking for any forum input (no pics, no discussion of choice of Doc, etc.) and that's fine. I have to lean a little towards hairweare on this. You are making perfunctory statements on many threads about what people should or should not do - without the caveat that you have not actually experienced a HT. Should we call you Busa 2.0?

I appreciate your import I'll have to look further into it. Why I say I don't think the scar will bother me is because I'm not a buzz cut kind of guy I would like to keep my hair long enough to cover the scar