Why do sooooooo many people stop posting their results?

FUE2014

You see it all the time on the internet. Of course, as hair loss sufferers we are all grateful that people take the time to document their progress and results, but a significant majority, it seems, appear to stop posting all together after a few weeks and you never hear from them again. I always think to myself, why bother engaging people in the first place to follow your progress if you are not going to follow through?

How about: I have a daily job?

I posted a while ago, and dropped it for some time, and am now posting again. I'm sure my life will get in the way, and I'll stop, but right now, I have the time and enjoy this. And also, my results are now showing so it is even more interesting that I've been through the process.

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react to it. Quote from Charles R. Swindol

March 14, 2013. 2462 grafts to the crown

Hair Transplant with Dr. Gabel in Portland, Oregon

Dr. Gabel's Website

I think some lose interest or get discouraged with their results or they are happy with the result and get busy and it becomes a lower priory for them.

Most people have good intentions, but keeping up may just get put on the back burner. There are still many people that do keep up and post their results.

Hate to say it but people are just generally selfish like that. That's just how it is. People tend to come here when they need something, then leave and turn their back after getting it.

And some people who do in fact come back and post updates/results are sometimes doing so mainly for their own validation. We're all guilty of selfish behavior to some extent. It's human nature. Just sayin.

What hairisimportant is also very true. I have a few comments on my results here and I only have 1 comment from my results from on another site I am posting on. I agree at 3 months there is not much to see, but I still think any feedback, even of "this appear to be normal" would be helpful and encourage people to keep posting.

It takes a long time for results to show up, and in that time anxiety can begin to subside as results start showing and people are comfortable with how things are going. I think some people may also be concerned about any negative comments (which I rarely ever see on this forum) about how their results are coming along. They are building confidence and they want that to continue...they don't want one critical comment to start their obsessing all over again about a negative image, even if that single comment wasn't warranted. So if a patient see things as going well, they may think "why open it up for criticism". I am not saying these are my thoughts, I am just saying this could be a reason we see people disappear from the forum. Other people can handle whatever critics may be out there and are just happy to get some hair back!

At the very least, I would hope everyone comes back and gives a "summary" with pics of their final results and thanks the forum for their support, as I think the vast majority of posters are sincere and very supportive. If they can offer more advice on an ongoing basis, that would be great for the forum.

A guy who starts off keeping people up to date with his progress until growth kicks in a month 4 or 5 will - IMO - typically stops if he has a disappointing result.

Why?? OK here's why.

Imagine you've spent a couple of months talking to the folks on here getting advice on which surgeon to use, told everyone the date of your surgery and written up long account of the day of your procedure including the succulence of the steak at your hotel (if you travelled for your op).

You've provided post-op pics and everyone's cooing and wheeling out platitudes like "Oh Dr. X's work is SO clean and tidy" and "You're gonna have fantastic results, happy growing" or "your donor area healed soooooooo quickly".

You then provide 1, 2, 3 and 4 month pics

BUT

in months 5 & 6, to your disappointment, growth is nowhere NEAR the level all the other outta-the-park results you saw on the forum had at that stage.

Going from having a procedure by a rock star surgeon with everything going for you to questioning your after-care diligence, wondering if YOU are the 1 guy in 100 whose physiology "isn't compatible" with HT or if you're the classic "slow grower" can obliterate one's confidence.

If a guy has gone through the process of keeping everyone informed about his progress and then suddenly stops, it's unlikely to be the fact that he's too busy enjoying his new hair to post photos - 9 times out of 10, that's BS. How long does it take to do a selfie and a close up????

Not saying it's impossible; just unlikely. People want others to know about their success especially if they've been on a journey.

Nope. 90% of the time, it's because the result has been crap and they feel like idiots for doing $5-15,000 on it and being too cocky.

From my perspective I would agree that people likely stop posting because of lack of feedback. I see a lot of contributions to threads with pointless bickering, when a quick "looks normal, "thanks, keep us posted" would actually be more constructive to the community on threads where people post results.

I am having a great result and thought at numerous points "why bother if it seems my posts are not getting acknowledged?"

I continue to post results despite disproportionately fewer comments compared to those in argumentative threads, as it may help someone at some point down the line in assessing the surgeon that I went with.

There can be some great advice on the forum, it was very helpful for me, but it could be even better without threads turning into essay length responses concerning subjective matters of opinion.

A guy who starts off keeping people up to date with his progress until growth kicks in a month 4 or 5 will - IMO - typically stops if he has a disappointing result.

Why?? OK here's why.

Imagine you've spent a couple of months talking to the folks on here getting advice on which surgeon to use, told everyone the date of your surgery and written up long account of the day of your procedure including the succulence of the steak at your hotel (if you travelled for your op).

You've provided post-op pics and everyone's cooing and wheeling out platitudes like "Oh Dr. X's work is SO clean and tidy" and "You're gonna have fantastic results, happy growing" or "your donor area healed soooooooo quickly".

You then provide 1, 2, 3 and 4 month pics

BUT

in months 5 & 6, to your disappointment, growth is nowhere NEAR the level all the other outta-the-park results you saw on the forum had at that stage.

Going from having a procedure by a rock star surgeon with everything going for you to questioning your after-care diligence, wondering if YOU are the 1 guy in 100 whose physiology "isn't compatible" with HT or if you're the classic "slow grower" can obliterate one's confidence.

If a guy has gone through the process of keeping everyone informed about his progress and then suddenly stops, it's unlikely to be the fact that he's too busy enjoying his new hair to post photos - 9 times out of 10, that's BS. How long does it take to do a selfie and a close up????

Not saying it's impossible; just unlikely. People want others to know about their success especially if they've been on a journey.

Nope. 90% of the time, it's because the result has been crap and they feel like idiots for doing $5-15,000 on it and being too cocky.

Good post and I would love you be to wrong, but suspect you are probably right.

From my perspective I would agree that people likely stop posting because of lack of feedback. I see a lot of contributions to threads with pointless bickering, when a quick "looks normal, "thanks, keep us posted" would actually be more constructive to the community on threads where people post results.

I am having a great result and thought at numerous points "why bother if it seems my posts are not getting acknowledged?"

I continue to post results despite disproportionately fewer comments compared to those in argumentative threads, as it may help someone at some point down the line in assessing the surgeon that I went with.

There can be some great advice on the forum, it was very helpful for me, but it could be even better without threads turning into essay length responses concerning subjective matters of opinion.

Hey Shacked, are you able to include a signature in your posts with the url to your blog/results links? This would help direct more traffic (and feedback) to your results.

I believe a certain amount of people post only because they need something. They need answers, affirmation or anxious. When they don't need anything they could careless about sharing. You see this on any forum. As an example a "Auto" forum. You may see somebody need some opinions on repairing their automobile. They may only have 2 posts to their name at the time. Guys help them out with a long explanation....Than you never hear a reply or a thanks for that matter.

On another note. This may be a forum that is out numbered by lurkers to members by a much wider span compared to other forums. Just by the nature of the subject.

Dr.Gabel 3972 FUT 11/3/14

Progress/Results Below ;)

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/177388-3972-fut-dr-gabel.html

@ko,

The post said why people dont do post all together.. so my point was when there was no interest shown then really you get disappointed and one point you naturally stop.

Yep , with me it has been lots of views barely any replies. After my 9 month update I had none. So I prolly quit wasting peoples, including my own time

1st HT 1973 FUT's with Dr.Robert Mcclellan 6/28/2007

*unfortunately I have no info on hair count on my 1st surgery ..

2nd HT 3026 FUT's with Dr. Bernadino Arocha 1/9/2014

1's - 797

2's - 3700

3's - 246

5634 hairs

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/attachment.php?attachmentid=54945&d=1389315686

3026 FUTs 1 day HT#2 post op frontal picture

I believe a certain amount of people post only because they need something. They need answers, affirmation or anxious. When they don't need anything they could careless about sharing. You see this on any forum. As an example a "Auto" forum. You may see somebody need some opinions on repairing their automobile. They may only have 2 posts to their name at the time. Guys help them out with a long explanation....Than you never hear a reply or a thanks for that matter.

On another note. This may be a forum that is out numbered by lurkers to members by a much wider span compared to other forums. Just by the nature of the subject.

I think the above answer is generally true. I think it has much less to do with their satisfaction, or lack thereof, with their own results, as one poster suggested...unless those results are sooo bad that they feel they need more help, then they come back for advice.

This is a great forum for lurkers. HT is not something to be taken lightly, and those lurkers should study to their hearts-content until they are satisfied they are making the right decision. It is a big commitment in psychology, time, money, and risk.

I agree with some of the posters above: yes, people get discouraged, or have some issues with their transplants, but lets also acknowledge that people have lives, and in my humble opinion, its not that people are selfish - people get busy and move on. They got what they were promised, and now they continue their lives - hopefully happy with the results.

I am totally satisfied with the results I got, and I'll contribute as much as I can, but I know something may come up and not allow me the time to come on the forums. These are a great resource for people, and what is great about it is that there is an influx of people telling their stories. And for the really top-notch surgeons and clinics, the message keeps repeating itself. Those clinics with substellar performance, well, they did not receive my attention.

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react to it. Quote from Charles R. Swindol

March 14, 2013. 2462 grafts to the crown

Hair Transplant with Dr. Gabel in Portland, Oregon

Dr. Gabel's Website

having being one of those lurkers for a good while i notice that the majority who stop posting after 4 or 5 months are those who have undergone a Fue treatment, there are actually very few patients who post their entire journey after a fue procedure, the majority seem to be fue results posted by clinics only showing the final results, has anyone else noticed this?

Interesting observation, Yonex. I had not really noticed that until you now mentioned it, but that could be true. There are a number of studies regarding the efficacy of FUE vs. FUT. One I read recently demonstrated a 30% better survival rate in FUT vs. FUE. The part of the study missing was the real understanding of WHY the results came out that way. Even though FUE had a shorter time outside the scalp during a procedure, not as many survived. My personal view, which could be wildly wrong and has no scientific basis, is that the FUE punch creates more trama for the extracted graft and nearby grafts that will also soon be extracted vs. the "slice and dice" process of FUT, where the trama to grafts is largely inflicted away from the scalp's active blood flow and nerve endings.

In any case, I guess I will keep an eye out for FUE vs. FUT threads to see which seem more likely to drop away from the forum.