FUT/ Strip advantages, apart from cost

Dav7

I'm just wondering if anybody knows what benefits FUT has over FUE apart from the cost? For instance, is FUT pretty much for when you are unable to afford to get FUE done, or is there a reason doctors provide the FUT option?

Also is the scarring from FUT really as horrific as many have suggest, e.g. you can't really shave your head, the follicle flow is distorted were the scar tissue rests etc.

You shouldn't get a strip if you intent to buzz your head below a 3 or 4. You shouldn't get any surgery if you want to have the sure option of razor shaving.

If you don't plan on going that low, strip is usually fine. My scar is very thin, but, there is always a chance for a less than optimal scar.

The yield of the very top FUE surgeons (kind of a short list IMO) has pretty much reached the yield of the very top strip docs, or at least so close, its not really noticeable.

I chose strip because I don't ever really plan on shaving my head, and I wanted to be able to use the vast majority of my best grafts, at which point, I will have the option to tap out my FUE reserves.

Both procedures can give you a bad look if you over harvest.

FUE is a great option if you like to go really short with less worry.

I feel like for the silent (vast) majority of people the strip scar is a non-issue from a top doctor, but if I were young and my future was still uncertain and I wanted the option for a tight cut, I would look into FUE. I feel like the biggest draw back to FUE is that there are probably 5 really good strip doctors for every 1 really good FUE doc. You have to be very careful when choosing any doctor, especially and FUE doc, because if they are medicore, you lose a lot of precious grafts through low yield and transection (same thing can happen in strip). Another thing to consider is that while I understand the focus on how the grafts are taken out, the artistry of how that are put in are just as important or more. If you do your research on this site, you will quickly recognize who the best physicians are in taking out and also in putting them back in.

I don't think that strip will ever be gone as long as multiplication or cloning is not available because I feel like you can maximize your total grafts with strip (you get 90 percent of your strip area/the ten percent is lost in dormant hairs/ and 30 percent of the rest of the donor area vs 30 percent of the entire donor area).

There are other advantages to FUE, but you didn't ask about that.

With all of that said, strip is a procedure that has pretty much peaked IMO and FUE has room to grow, in terms of more doctors with more skill. I presume as more doctors hone their FUE skill, strip will be opted for less and less, but it's advantages will keep it around for the right people.

So, strip scarring IMO is usually not as horrific as many suggest, because the ones that don't have a problem with it don't really talk about it as much, and that is the majority of patients that choose a top doc. But when you are the one that does get a bad one, that is probably not very comforting.

No, you can't shave your head if you do strip. But you shouldn't plan on doing more than a one or maybe a 2 grade if you have very many grafts FUE harvested either. The vast majority of FUE patients have visible scarring if the donor is actually shaved. And yes, you can distort the follicle flow with strip, but again, on the majority of pts, this is a non-issue. If it is cut short enough to see a distortion, the scar is already visible most of the time and the pt is more concerned with that. Hope this was somewhat helpful. Even as a consumer and not a rep, I am pro-strip and pro-fue, as I feel they both have their place. My particular reason for going strip was because at the time, I was not a rep, I felt like strip was getting better yield at the time, I didn't want to go over seas, I did not want to shave my donor region, and I have a scalp condition that keeps me from buzzing my head. When I put it all together, strip was for me at that time.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

The yield of the very top FUE surgeons (kind of a short list IMO) has pretty much reached the yield of the very top strip docs, or at least so close, its not really noticeable.

I agree with this, the best FUE doctors basically mirror the best FUT results... at that level the difference is undetectable, if there is one.

Aside from saving some money the only other advantage I can think of is the ability to harvest a larger amount of total hairs before you run out. But I don't quite understand this point of view for three reasons,

1. You can just do FUE until you run out of donor hair on your head, then do FUT to get more if absolutely necessary to get a similar number of max hairs.

2. There's already cases of people going from NW5-6 to NW2 with fantastic results using just FUE anyways. Not everyone may be able to do this, but still.

3. Most people will not need or want to exhaust all their donor hairs anyways, but if you do... see #1.

So IMO there really is no fundamental advantage of FUT so long as you choose the right doctor and are willing to spend some more money. A lot of FUT advocates like to brush aside the risk with FUT or play down the appearance of the scar. No one can gaurantee you a great scar, when the stitches come out it's going to stretch... a big factor in how much it stretches depends on your skin characteristics. But the bottom line is the scar is magnitudes more apparent than FUE in everyone case ... and there's always the risk it will stretch a lot and turn out very badly. This is a deal breaker to me considering all I have to do to avoid this is find a top doctor and pay a bit more.

It is much more time consuming for doctors to perform FUE. For many docs it would be in their best interest if no one wanted FUE. Keep that in mind when discussing FUT with both doctors and representatives... it's in their best interest for you to want to do FUT.

Sometime, probably in the near future, there will be a large concensus that FUT is not a reasonable option compared to FUE. Until then...

To start with - pilofocus is a way of harvesting the graft from the other side - you will still get scars from where the instruments are inserted, just smaller and shorter.

Hair style issues aside:

1. For strip, you need to not put stress on the area for a month to make sure the scar does not stretch. If you cannot take it easy for a month, then FUE.

2. Recovery for strip is longer.

3. Large FUE sessions push the envelope as to the safe donor area. If the harvesting is not done well you can end up with a moth eaten and patchy appearance of the donor.

4. Even though you can do larger strip sessions - the narrower the strip removed, the fewer issues with a stretched scar. 2 moderate sized sessions may be better than 1large sessions - though some surgeons are able to keep the scars narrow with large strip sessions.

I think the bottom line is if you have never kept your hair very short, can take a few weeks and not put strain on the back of your neck, and are likely to need more than a few thousand grafts in your lifetime, and do not have an issue with scars stretching, the extra cost of FUE is not likely worth it.

Like previously said, there are good physicians who do both, but far fewer physicians who do FUE well.

Thanks for the reply guys. I actually am currently thinking of two doctors, one who does FUE - Dr. Bhatti, and the other does FUT - Dr. Madhu. Anybody any experience of these two, because I'm still not quiet sure which one to choose.

I think the bottom line is if you have never kept your hair very short, can take a few weeks and not put strain on the back of your neck, and are likely to need more than a few thousand grafts in your lifetime, and do not have an issue with scars stretching, the extra cost of FUE is not likely worth it

I don't think the stretching of the scar is as easy to predict. People scar to varying degrees and one big factor is how much collagen the body produces when healing. A lot of people who do scar aggressively don't actually know it either because... well, why would they. They're not doctors. They don't really notice or care... until something like FUT happens.

I had my share of serious cuts and lacerations... lots of stitches... but had no idea I scarred aggressively until a very serious accident a few years ago that almost killed me. Then it became apparent, and the doctors were sure to point it out too.

So I'm of the opinion if you scar aggressively you can do FUT with a top doctor, follow all the post op procedures, and end up with a 1cm+ scar after the stitches are taken out. Who knows for sure, but do I really want to find out?

I don't think the stretching of the scar is as easy to predict. People scar to varying degrees and one big factor is how much collagen the body produces when healing. A lot of people who do scar aggressively don't actually know it either because... well, why would they. They're not doctors. They don't really notice or care... until something like FUT happens.

I had my share of serious cuts and lacerations... lots of stitches... but had no idea I scarred aggressively until a very serious accident a few years ago that almost killed me. Then it became apparent, and the doctors were sure to point it out too.

So I'm of the opinion if you scar aggressively you can do FUT with a top doctor, follow all the post op procedures, and end up with a 1cm+ scar after the stitches are taken out. Who knows for sure, but do I really want to find out?

With all due respect, this is a little scaremongering (or scaremongering). If you scar so badly that you get a 1cm scar from a 1.2-1.4 cm strip being removed, then you will likely form noticeable scars from the FUE extractions.

While sometimes difficult, meet with the physicians you are considering and make a decision based on the consultation. There are risks and benefits for both procedures

FUE is not scarless, you just do not have a linear scar. You still will need to keep some length to your hair, though not as much as if you had FUT.

There are a few very vocal advocates for one approach versus another on the forum, much of what is said is opinion. Speak / visit with transplant physicians. Every case is different, but if you are likely to become extensively bald or need a large number of grafts, be very careful about who you select if you chose FUE (or even FUT).

Spankers reply was great.

I'm very happy with my choice for FUT. No issues with scar and I have no intentions of ever shaving my head. I suppose it's a risk though, if you get a bad result and end up with a bad scar it wont be a good look.

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

[*]You can just do FUE until you run out of donor hair on your head, then do FUT to get more if absolutely necessary to get a similar number of max hairs.

I might be wrong, but I think it's the opposite. You can strip out, then do FUE, but I don't believe you can punch out, then do strip. You'd have a 'moth-eaten' strip with very little yield.

3,425 FUT grafts with Dr Raymond Konior - Nov 2013

1,600 FUE grafts with Dr Raymond Konior - Dec 2018

If you scar so badly that you get a 1cm scar from a 1.2-1.4 cm strip being removed, then you will likely form noticeable scars from the FUE extractions.

The scars from FUE extractions are so small you can't really "scar badly"... they're less than 1mm.

There are risks and benefits for both procedures.

This is like saying there's risks involved in both driving to work and walking a tight rope free form over a 1000 cliff. Yeah... there is, it just turns out one has a lot more risk.

FUE is not scarless, you just do not have a linear scar

This is like comparing an ant bite to a shark bite. Yes, you technically scar from FUE but the scars are magnitudes smaller. There is really no comparison.

I might be wrong, but I think it's the opposite. You can strip out, then do FUE, but I don't believe you can punch out, then do strip. You'd have a 'moth-eaten' strip with very little yield.

I don't see why you couldn't use the moth eaten strip still. If you had done FUE previously in the area, then maybe 30% of the hairs were already extracted and used. So then there's still 70% left, which is still a lot. I'd rather exhaust my donor grafts with FUE first as opposed start havesting with FUT.

I don't see why you couldn't use the moth eaten strip still. If you had done FUE previously in the area, then maybe 30% of the hairs were already extracted and used. So then there's still 70% left, which is still a lot. I'd rather exhaust my donor grafts with FUE first as opposed start havesting with FUT.

It's a matter of preference, I suppose. Have you had any procedures, Rootz? What approach did you take?

3,425 FUT grafts with Dr Raymond Konior - Nov 2013

1,600 FUE grafts with Dr Raymond Konior - Dec 2018

Better to go strip first because by maxing out FUE runs the risk of leaving the strip scar visible. If you FUE after a strip the follicles above it can be avoided to better camouflage it.

I understand the slivering of the strip can be harder when it is full of FUE scars. Imagine trying to cut out the follicles next to a blob of scar tissue. Tricky work under a microscope.

It's horses for courses really as to which method you want to go for depending on your donor supply and long term goals.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

It's a matter of preference, I suppose. Have you had any procedures, Rootz? What approach did you take?

I'll be doing FUE next month but I don't suspect to need to max out all possible available donor hairs in the future. I would think most people are in the same boat. If I thought right now I might need to use as much donor hair as possible later on I'd still start out with FUE and reserve FUT as a last resort later on down the road.

Better to go strip first because by maxing out FUE runs the risk of leaving the strip scar visible. If you FUE after a strip the follicles above it can be avoided to better camouflage it.

Fair point but I would argue if you anticipated needing all available donor hairs in the future, you could start out having FUE harvested around where a strip would be taken anyways. Either way I think saving the most damaging procedure for last, in case you don't need to do it, is generally a good idea.

Now if you're already a NW6/7, are trying to do it all at once, and needFUT to get maximum every last possible donor grafts you have... well then yeah I guess you have to. But situations like that are very rare and the person might be better off going with a more conserative hair design and avoiding the FUT anyways.

FUE is not scarless, you just do not have a linear scar.

FUE is certainly not scarless. Even if it was not physically and literally scarless, there would always be missing follicles which are a dependency from the natural donor area.

With all due respect, this is a little scaremongering (or scaremongering). If you scar so badly that you get a 1cm scar from a 1.2-1.4 cm strip being removed, then you will likely form noticeable scars from the FUE extractions.

With strip, the incision is far deeper, longer and wider than the puncture of FUE punch. Factor such as tension and scalp laxity are also far greater in strip than in FUE. I have never seen stretched FUE scars. I have never seen FUE scars turn keloid. I have seen many stretched strip scars, even from the top tier strip surgeons. I have also seen strip scars become keloid especially in individuals who are of African descent. In addition, the worst FUE scars I have seen are still better than the worst strip scars I have seen. By far. We just had a thread here the other week about a forum member saying he was suicidal because his strip scar stretched(from a coaltion doctor). I have NEVER seen an FUE patient that distressed over their FUE scars. No surgeon can guarantee you that your strip scar will not stretch. I acknowledge that with FUE, the collective scarring is greater than compared to the average strip scar. But because the FUE extractions are not confluent, they are generally far less noticeable.

While sometimes difficult, meet with the physicians you are considering and make a decision based on the consultation. There are risks and benefits for both procedures

Whilst true, that does not really tell us much. As Rootz pointed out "there's risks involved in both driving to work and walking a tight rope free form over a 1000 cliff", although I don't totally agree with that analogy :)

I feel the that the patient has to inform themselves. When I was consulting for my first procedure, NO surgeon told me a strip scar could stretch. NO surgeon told me strip changes the direction of hair growth in the donor or disrupts the gradual hair caliber gradation. One prominent surgeon actually tried to push me to strip even though I only needed a small number of grafts and I actually requested FUE. On the flip side, I'm sure there are FUE surgeons out there who omit vital information whilst consulting with a patient also.

Make decisions based on facts and knowledge because ethics and business(because hair transplantation IS a business) are not always in the same line. Choose the method you prefer, then make consultations based on that method with surgeons who are masters of that method. That is how I would do it.

Some people are more suited to strip if they are a high norwood, want a cost effective solution, want only one session, have low donor density but high laxity etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Boy, I haven't been active here in two years. Back then everyone said you are guaranteed a lower yield with FUE. That was the main reason to go FUT. How far things have changed. Now the top FUE docs get the same yield as FUT docs. If you had infinite money, FUE would be better for most people. But it seems to me, if you can't afford the top FUE docs and if you go with a mid-level FUE doc (even one recommended here), you will get a lower yield than you would have gotten with FUT.

But it seems to me, if you can't afford the top FUE docs and if you go with a mid-level FUE doc (even one recommended here), you will get a lower yield than you would have gotten with FUT.

I also believe this to be true. For me, the elite FUE surgeons are Lorenzo, Erdogan, Mwamba, Maras, Bisanga, Feriduni, Reddy and Hakan. I personally believe the yield that they often produce rivals that of the best strip results, some of their result's yield even exceed some strip surgeons yield. But for me(my opinion), I would not go to anyone other than the aforementioned FUE surgeons, I don't believe the yield and chance of a great result would be nearly as high as with those guys.

Mickey85, so you think you will get an inferior result with Bhatti? He is really the only cheap FUE guy.

I foresee a day when no one does FUT anymore. If the best FUE docs get FUT level yield, then eventually all FUE docs will get FUT level yield. And they will charge Bhatti level FUE prices, which isn't much more than FUT. With price and yield barely favoring FUT, there will be almost no reason to do it anymore.

There is a lot of conjecture in this post, Olmert. Saying that eventually all FUE docs will get FUT level yield is making a blanket statement to the capabilities, not to mention the desire to do the best work, that I think simply doesn't exist. I mean, it doesn't exist across all FUT docs so why would it exist for all FUE docs? There will always be a few standouts in any field that are separated by results when compared to their peers. When you look at FUT there are only a few that stand out. Same with FUE and that will always be the case.

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

As long as there are a handful of elite FUE docs who can match the best FUT yields I generally don't see the point of FUT. If it's to save money, you're saving money the wrong way IMO.