fallen97

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh dear:

Gallery Detail :: Male Hair Transplant: Patient 12

How can this work be recommended here?

Good lord... that is horrendous. Give me the patient's pre-operative look anyday of the week compared to that...

@TomCruise, I decided on this doctor due to the recommendation from this site and the proximity. I live way too far for others and I trusted this site (which I apparently should not have). When I went to the consultation, there were photos presented on a screen that looked far better than the ones on the site (at least to me). I felt confident after the consultation that I was in good hands. I am seeing the doctor this Friday. I will post again afterwards on how that goes and if a refund is provided. Also, I have an appointment directly afterwards with Scalp Aesthetics in Rochester, NY. I'm hoping to at least have my scars camouflaged. I had the strip scars from previous procedures, but now have a very large blob one with no hair growth that prevents me from ever cutting my hair short. It's been a traumatic experience as well as a depressing one. I considered doing the SMP on entire head, but am hesitant of this. I've been through enough failure when it comes to hair restoration. If anyone has any advice concerning the SMP, that would be great. Thanks all for the comments and feedback and yes, please don't rely solely on recommendations from this site.

Those results are appalling.

I am really sorry you had this experience, it must be really painful.

I am looking at your doctors results gallery and i am wondering if this is some kind of april fools joke?

I hope you get a full refund and then see a doctor with better results than this!

Truly I am astounded

@TomCruise, I decided on this doctor due to the recommendation from this site and the proximity. I live way too far for others and I trusted this site (which I apparently should not have). When I went to the consultation, there were photos presented on a screen that looked far better than the ones on the site (at least to me). I felt confident after the consultation that I was in good hands. I am seeing the doctor this Friday. I will post again afterwards on how that goes and if a refund is provided. Also, I have an appointment directly afterwards with Scalp Aesthetics in Rochester, NY. I'm hoping to at least have my scars camouflaged. I had the strip scars from previous procedures, but now have a very large blob one with no hair growth that prevents me from ever cutting my hair short. It's been a traumatic experience as well as a depressing one. I considered doing the SMP on entire head, but am hesitant of this. I've been through enough failure when it comes to hair restoration. If anyone has any advice concerning the SMP, that would be great. Thanks all for the comments and feedback and yes, please don't rely solely on recommendations from this site.

Out of interest, what part of the transplant did the doc do?

And yes, it is psychologically painful. I've been severely depressed as a result. Again, I'm hoping to have my scars concealed with SMP. I'm not sure what to do at this point. I want to have my life back and feel that the decision to go to the Quatela Center has been the worst one I've ever made.

Hi fallen, I understand you are frustrated and I am sorry you have had this experience. Let is wait to see what the doctor will tell you today. I am sure this forum will give you all the necessary support since he is a recommended doctor. Please, keep us updated.

An amazing experience (4002 grafts) with Dr. Koray Erdogan (ASMED Clinic).

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Denny,

The doctor did tell me to not give up on him just yet and to return after the 12 month mark. I am at 9 months now. I'd really like to just buzz my head at this point, but the scars are unsightly and horrendous. I will await until my next appointment in July to see what happens. I wasn't too thrilled about that either. I have a short window of time between starting a new job in mid-July and explained this to the person I was making the appointment. The office is 4 hours away from me and just wanted to schedule for the appointment to have the scars filled in with FUE as indicated by the doctor. I was told though the doctor would want to see me first (which he already has seen the scar). I'd rather go get the procedure done to fill in the scars so that I can heal before starting the new job in which I will not be able to have vacation time for at least a year. In the meantime, I have to live with this awful shoddy work and that doesn't seem to concern this particular office. I'm still unhappy with what I've been told, but again, I'm hoping against hope that this gets resolved. It's getting more difficult by the day for me to cope with this.

Fallen, please consider switching to another doctor. I wish you the best with your future results.

I'm looking at the photo gallery from this doctor's website, and I cannot believe these results are posted online. If these photos are considered his "best" work, I cannot imagine what the other results are like...

There is not one photo on their website that I would consider even a "normal" looking result. The clinic cannot even get the hairlines to look natural. It's almost comical looking at these patient photos.

This makes Bosley look like the gold standard compared to this clinic.

Moderators - Please look into this. No future patients should go through this experience.

Hair1978, They will not respond to my emails so I will attempt to call again. If I can get a refund, I will look into another doctor to at least work on my scars. I'm not sure which doctor to choose though since apparently I cannot rely on the recommendations made by this site.

• 1 month later...

Without wanting to be rude, how did you look at the results on that site and decide this was the doctor for you? You have some awesome doctors in NY, maybe not right on your door step but ones that people like me fly 7 hours for. Surely would have been worth a drive?

Any updates to this situation? Did you see the doctor in April?

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

• 2 weeks later...

It's ridiculous. I'm quite angry about this poor result & it's not even mine! Having looked at the other pathetic results, it baffles me how this surgeon is recommended on here. This website's integrity & reputation gets tarnished with poor sub par results like this. How comes so many doctors are recommended or are part of the coalition when only the best of the best should be listed here?

How many surgeons are listed? 60? So anyone that produces a handful of results & hands over $10k membership fee per year is okay to be recommended.

No doubt I'll get a patronising reply.

Don't go back for another operation there even if you get a refund.

It pains me to see this sort of thing on a good informative website.

Edited by Dutch

Guys,

I have contacted Dr. Quatela and asked him to provide further information regarding fallen97's case.

As I'm sure most of you know, all physicians sometimes see subpar and failed results in their patients. Dr. Quatela did reach out publicly in this thread and stated that fallen97 had made an appointment to review his case in person. However, there seems to be some confusion since fallen97 then stated that he has not received replies to his emails. Perhaps we can get some clarification on this matter.

It's ridiculous. I'm quite angry about this poor result & it's not even mine! Having looked at the other pathetic results, it baffles me how this surgeon is recommended on here. This website's integrity & reputation gets tarnished with poor sub par results like this. How comes so many doctors are recommended or are part of the coalition when only the best of the best should be listed here?

How many surgeons are listed? 60? So anyone that produces a handful of results & hands over $10k membership fee per year is okay to be recommended.

No doubt I'll get a patronising reply.

Don't go back for another operation there even if you get a refund.

It pains me to see this sort of thing on a good informative website.

Dutch, as a longtime member with nearly 1,000 posts under your belt, your comments took me my surprise. You must be well-versed in how our recommendation process works and would have had a number of opportunities to contribute your own thoughts and opinions regarding surgeon recommendations.

You must also be aware that there are physicians who have been denied recommendation or removed over the years for a number of reasons. If, as you claim, recommendation was a matter of paying a fee then why wouldn't we have hundreds instead of the 60 or so we have? We most certainly could if that was our goal. However, if we did that, this site would have ceased to exist a long time ago. That seems pretty obvious to me.

Dr. Quatela's work is perhaps conservative but we still genuinely believe that he is doing solid work. Thus, we feel that those looking for a solid physician doing quality conservative work will benefit from choosing him.

He has demonstrated concern and a willingness to work with his patient and I hope they can work together to find a happy solution given the circumstances.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Our experience with hair restoration patients over the last 25 years has made us confident that it is best to assess patients' full results one year post-transplant. From there, if the result is not what our patients had expected, we encourage them to return to our office for a personal re-evaluation with Dr. Quatela, where a continued treatment plan will be discussed. It is our priority to ensure patient satisfaction.

Results vary from patient to patient depending on healing, scarring, and prior procedures they have received before coming to our office. For this reason, we encourage patients to have a consultation appointment with Dr. Quatela to discuss what option is best for them, and we are committed to being honest with each patient as to what course of action will be most effective.

Our experience with hair restoration patients over the last 25 years has made us confident that it is best to assess patients' full results one year post-transplant. From there, if the result is not what our patients had expected, we encourage them to return to our office for a personal re-evaluation with Dr. Quatela, where a continued treatment plan will be discussed. It is our priority to ensure patient satisfaction.

Results vary from patient to patient depending on healing, scarring, and prior procedures they have received before coming to our office. For this reason, we encourage patients to have a consultation appointment with Dr. Quatela to discuss what option is best for them, and we are committed to being honest with each patient as to what course of action will be most effective.

Are you able comment on this patient in particular as your above response is rather generic and non-specific.

Guys,

In my opinion, Dr. Quatela has always been a solid option for patients looking for conservative but quality hair transplantation. He performs smaller sessions but has still produced quality results after multiple sessions when appropriate for the patient. Smaller sessions today aren't nearly as popular given the impressive results produced regularly performed by physicians doing large megasessions. However, in my opinion, there's still room in the hair transplant profession for physicians specializing in smaller, conservative cases.

I just emailed Dr. Quatela and his staff to provide a more detailed reply on this forum regarding this patient. After speaking with his representative Ashley, I learned that Dr. Quatela is still working on obtaining permission from the patient to share his side of the story online. Due to HIPAA laws, he is currently limited what he can say which is why his responses have been general and not specific. She also told me that Dr. Quatela and the patient have been in regular contact since March however, the patient was originally emailing an employee that is no longer with the clinic.

In addition, I've asked him to collect and present several examples of his recent best work on this forum for review. We can then evaluate these results and ensure he's continuing to meet our high standards for recommendation.

I look forward to Dr. Quatela's more detailed reply on this forum and hope that he and the patient work together to help satisfy the patient's concerns.

Best wishes,

Bill

Dutch, as a longtime member with nearly 1,000 posts under your belt, your comments took me my surprise. You must be well-versed in how our recommendation process works and would have had a number of opportunities to contribute your own thoughts and opinions regarding surgeon recommendations.

You must also be aware that there are physicians who have been denied recommendation or removed over the years for a number of reasons. If, as you claim, recommendation was a matter of paying a fee then why wouldn't we have hundreds instead of the 60 or so we have? We most certainly could if that was our goal. However, if we did that, this site would have ceased to exist a long time ago. That seems pretty obvious to me.

Dr. Quatela's work is perhaps conservative but we still genuinely believe that he is doing solid work. Thus, we feel that those looking for a solid physician doing quality conservative work will benefit from choosing him.

He has demonstrated concern and a willingness to work with his patient and I hope they can work together to find a happy solution given the circumstances.

I am quite suprised by your response here also. Dutch is entitled to voice his opinions and his falls in line with that of the majorty on this thread, my own, and that is the opinion that Dr's work in question is sub par.

Dutch may have missed the recommendation thread and I'm also taken back at how the Dr is approved here. Yes we are asked to rate the work but had I seen those results i would have given the opposite of a thumbs up. Why those results were put to a vote honestly is beyond me.

I am not trying to start arguments here but if not here then where do we express concerns about what we view to be poor work. I know he is recommmended by the site and its a little bit of red face time but we as posters and paying customers owe it to ourselves to be honest first and foremost not matter who is affected by that honesty.

Guys,

In my opinion, Dr. Quatela has always been a solid option for patients looking for conservative but quality hair transplantation. He performs smaller sessions but has still produced quality results after multiple sessions when appropriate for the patient. Smaller sessions today aren't nearly as popular given the impressive results produced regularly performed by physicians doing large megasessions. However, in my opinion, there's still room in the hair transplant profession for physicians specializing in smaller, conservative cases.

I just emailed Dr. Quatela and his staff to provide a more detailed reply on this forum regarding this patient. After speaking with his representative Ashley, I learned that Dr. Quatela is still working on obtaining permission from the patient to share his side of the story online. Due to HIPAA laws, he is currently limited what he can say which is why his responses have been general and not specific. She also told me that Dr. Quatela and the patient have been in regular contact since March however, the patient was originally emailing an employee that is no longer with the clinic.

In addition, I've asked him to collect and present several examples of his recent best work on this forum for review. We can then evaluate these results and ensure he's continuing to meet our high standards for recommendation.

I look forward to Dr. Quatela's more detailed reply on this forum and hope that he and the patient work together to help satisfy the patient's concerns.

Best wishes,

Bill

Even so Bill a poor smaller session is still a poor session. I have looked through the Drs own webstie and some of those results are genuinely breathtaking, for all the wrong reasons. Some of the photos are from not so small sessions, there is one from 3700+ and it looks like only hundreds of the hairs grew. Some of the patients are left with an unatural and pluggy look and come out looking worse than they went in.

Like I said above I am not trying to be controverial here and start fights but Dutch is right, its an ink stain on the copy book of this site for me too. We have a thread here with a patient who went to a Dr partially because of proximity convieniance and this sites recommendation. Both he and the site are in the equation, my honest feeling is the patient would have been better off warned about the poor results rather than gotten encouragement about the local Dr from the site. The majority of the fault lies with the patient for not doing his own due dilligance but the sites part cannot be ignored.

I do welcome your call for more pictures from this Dr but the damage has been done imo. Are we going to get the 7 best HTs this doc has done when there is muh more evidence of poor work? Anyway I'd be amazed if Dr. Quatela can turn around peoples opinons if he decides to post 7 results.

I'll put it another way, if I was sat down with a friend who wanted to have a HT and was looking for advice from me I would show him Dr. Quatelas work of an example of bad work and a Dr to avoid.

As painful as that might be to hear its the truth from me. The results are simply not good enough and I would tell people to avoid his clinic.

Edited by Redchilli007

Redchilli007,

I think you misunderstand my response. I'm not calling into question Dutch's right to an opinion on the patient's results. All members are welcome and encouraged to share their thoughts and opinions. And, as you can clearly see, we've reached out to Dr. Quatela for his response to this discussion. Also, if you reread my post, I did not imply that Dutch participated in Dr. Quatela's recommendation if that's what you mean by "Dutch may have missed the recommendation thread..."

Rather, I was addressing the following comment which is not really an opinion so much as an accusation and one that I expect from newcomers to our community but surprised to hear from veterans.

So anyone that produces a handful of results & hands over $10k membership fee per year is okay to be recommended

I firmly believe that anyone thoroughly familiar with how this community works knows that's not the case. They don't need to take our word for it. The evidence is inherent in the many discussions and recommendation threads where all members have their say regarding the good, the bad and ugly. I don't feel the need to defend our community's ethics further because anyone who knows how to use the search feature can find all the support they require.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website