8 months post op

fallen97

Honestly, looking at multiple results posted by this doctor here and on his website, I don't think the approach can be called "conservative."

He's using a lot of grafts for minimal results, as exempliified by these other cases below.

I would suggest his recommendation be taken under review until he undergoes more training or attends more workshops etc. with other top surgeons to learn the techniques required for producing better yield and results.

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/170361-vito-c-quatela-md-2-988-graft-fut-59-year-old-patient.html

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/171540-vito-c-quatela-md-46-year-old-male-2-829-graft-fut.html

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Redchilli007,

I think you misunderstand my response. I'm not calling into question Dutch's right to an opinion on the patient's results. All members are welcome and encouraged to share their thoughts and opinions. And, as you can clearly see, we've reached out to Dr. Quatela for his response to this discussion. Also, if you reread my post, I did not imply that Dutch participated in Dr. Quatela's recommendation if that's what you mean by "Dutch may have missed the recommendation thread..."

Rather, I was addressing the following comment which is not really an opinion so much as an accusation and one that I expect from newcomers to our community but surprised to hear from veterans.

I firmly believe that anyone thoroughly familiar with how this community works knows that's not the case. They don't need to take our word for it. The evidence is inherent in the many discussions and recommendation threads where all members have their say regarding the good, the bad and ugly. I don't feel the need to defend our community's ethics further because anyone who knows how to use the search feature can find all the support they require.

Thnaks for the reply David. I wasn't implying you thought Dutchs relpy had no place here because it was critical of the forum. I am fully aware that your happy and willing to let people have their say no matter how critical it may be. There is no problem in that aspect and I would never say otherwise. I just said I was also suprised by your response as it was addressing what Dutch said and not t he overwhelming feeling of the Drs work on the thread.

I understand it was the strong words he used in terms of the Dr getting approved which was causing a response.

There were some strong words from Dutch but we are all aware of the process of a Dr getting his up for consideration thread where we all chime in with our opinion. I didn't see the Drs thread but would be interested to look now because how his work was firstly deemed good enough to be put to the vote and secondly how it passed the vote is a mystery to me given what work I have seen of his. I don't agree by Dutches 10k and your in statement but

Like I said yesterday the results are poor. Those with high norwood levels threated by the Dr seem to have the worst resutls with only sparse hair with no density to show for it. Other who had a good amount of native hair beore the HT don't look amazing either, in fact they look like before and after pis of a 12month fin and minox treatment.

This forum is a great place and the majority of approved Drs are great and very skiled at their work. The mods and posters on here are very informed and helpful, this site helped me find Dr Koray for my procedure and I thank you for that but we must have the highest standards.

Preforming a HT is a skill few posses, the extraction and placement of native hair else where to give the illusion of denisty is almost an art form. Whatever Dr. Quatela does during placement of grafts or the extraction phase means grafts are not surviving and those that are are too closely packed and the results are poor.

Looking through the thread you can see the response to his work. Looking at some of Dr. Quatela's other threads that fact his has copy and paste response he uses over and over again to negative responses to his work seems to tell me he doesn't care that much or thinks he is above criticism. In my book he is shady. I can only say what I think and that is it.

Like I said this site is a great place for information and help. I guess with that many Dr, patients and posters coming through every now and again something that shouldn't of happened will happen, its the law of averages.

As much as the patient was responsible for not looking around for other options, because many of us would not have gone near Dr. Quatelabased on his results, he still is recommended on here.

The reality of the situation is a poster/patient was let down by the site by trusting a Dr approved on here and had a very bad HT with many grafte lost and a bad life experience that he will find it hard to recover from in terms of getting his hair back.

I have spoken directly with Fallen97 and received permission to share certain aspects of his procedure in this forum. I have not spoken about this previously out of respect for his HIPAA rights. I have not received permission to post his photos online.

This patient came to our office in 2013 after having had three or four previous hair restoration procedures at Bosley, the most recent one having been done in 2006. The patient had a 2,054 graft procedure in July of 2013, which yielded 36% single hair grafts, 46% two hair grafts, and 18% three hair grafts. The grafts were placed in the central tuft area and hairline. There was some scalp tightness due to the number of previous procedures, which contributed to a tight closure, but the patient tolerated the procedure well.

Fallen97 returned to the office for his post-operative day one appointment, but did not return for his three week or five month appointment. At our office, we typically see patients in follow-up on postoperative day one, and then at three weeks, five months, and one year postoperatively in order to assess healing and hair growth. The patient was seen in April of 2014 and was not happy with hair growth. After evaluating the patient, he has been scheduled for a subsequent procedure on the date of his choosing to revise the scar either through excision or FUE, based on the patient’s skin laxity and amount of scarring and hair growth that is present at that time.

I have been in communication with this patient regarding his concerns. As with every patient that comes to my practice over the last 27 years, my goal is to make them as happy as possible, and I will continue to work with patients until their desired result is achieved.

In my experience , some doctors , even after many years of there practice are not able to learn or provide the best results .

And yes we patients are so hopeless , even after the bad job of doctors there are countless amount of hopeless patients like us becoz we just need a prrson to give us a hope and we trust them . So there is no lack of patients for such type of doctors .

But here we need a freind to show us a right path coz we are depressed and cannot see the actual truth , but if that freind also gives us a wrong advice so whom to trust .

There is no appology for ruining a person life , coz going through that depression and experiencing it is very scary , and only few can survive from that depression .

I am also a victim of such doctors not for hair transplant but for theese so called snake oil treatments .

Theese doctors have no time to give appointment and have endless numbers of degree but they keep there patients in darkside and if anything wrong happens they either stop attending or they have there old stories , saying every patient is different .

But there is no appology for a wrong work , just think through how much pain this guy has gone and how difficult for him to deal with .

This case is a classic example of why proximity should be the very last consideration when selecting a HT surgeon.

One spends anywhere from $5,000 to $20,000 on a HT--I can't imagine why spending a few hundred additional dollars to travel would have any influence whatsoever.

I'm fortunate in that I have world-class surgeons within a 2-3 hour drive. However, if I didn't, I wouldn't think twice about getting on a plane.

• 2 weeks later...

First and foremost, we apologize to the community for our lack of response in the past to specific questions regarding our patient results. Our practice was monitoring the responses by others and bringing them to my attention and because of other responsibilities, the time that was needed to be dedicated to the site was not given. We have hired an online content manager who will be bringing all questions and concerns directly to my attention so that we can respond to the community in a timely manner.

I’m one of the more senior surgeons who has enjoyed a long practice and made many patients happy, but I’m the first to admit that I am not savvy in social media and online forums. However, to be a part of this world and Hair Transplant Network, I need to be. I have learned my lesson and with the help of my online content manager, I will focus more on the importance of my online presence and contribution to the network.

Unfortunately, we have an issue in our center with our before and after photos. In the past, we have not taken great pictures that depict the true amount of hair loss pre-transplant, which in turn does not accurately show the result. We have implemented a process to fix this and moving forward will be able to better display the work that I have done.

In response to our vague responses, we do strictly follow HIPPA policy regarding sharing patient information without consent. When it is necessary to do so, we will contact the patient directly before giving out information. We did this in the case of Fallen97 and were then able to post information once we received his consent. This policy will remain in place.

Lastly, I was in direct communication with Fallen97 three months ago when his concerns posted on Hair Transplant Network were brought to me. We saw him on April 4th at the office. At that time, we agreed that if he was not happy with the scar and if growth was not satisfactory by mid-July, we would provide the patient with additional grafts. During his visit in July, we will then decide the appropriate number of grafts and whether we will do FUE or FUT. The patient will not be responsible for any costs associated with this procedure, and it will be done that day. I contacted him on June 16th to confirm that our plan was still in place and that he was satisfied with that course of action. He was happy so our plans did not change. He was unaware that more had transpired on the network regarding his case. I still have every intention of making him happy and addressing all of his concerns, which I strive to do with every patient who comes to my practice.

When Fallen97 came to our office, he had multiple scars from previous hair procedures. In my practice, I always try to work with the same scar for a donor site when multiple procedures are done to keep the results as clean and natural as possible. In an effort to provide the patient with a good result, I did try to revise his past uppermost scar during the procedure. This was a difficult case to begin with but was made even more so because of bleeding and popping.

The result regarding the scar revision was sub-optimal due to the tightness of the scalp from his 3 previous procedures. In my assessment of the scalp mobility prior to surgery, I thought it was adequate to conduct another strip approach provided we take a narrow strip. Having not seen the patient since April, I am unable to fully assess the situation to provide further information about the results since we always wait until the 1 year mark to do a final assessment.

Fallen97 has and continues to have progressive hair loss which is a concern to me as I treat him for future procedures. Due to this, our results are not as cumulative as desired if this were not the case.

I will do my best to communicate to the patient exactly what he can expect moving forward based on our treatment plan. Given his continued hair loss and tight scalp from previous procedures, this is a case that will be handled with great care and sensitivity.

One aspect of my practice that I enjoy the most is face-to-face interaction with each patient, and I look forward to improving my online presence to maintain an open flow of communication with this very important community.

• 3 weeks later...

Can someone come with an explanation of why this surgeon is recommended by this website when he doesnt have any satisfying results to show? Hes a fraud, who has slipped through, why?

The legitimacy of this forum has just took a giant hit. He should be kicked out immediately.

Can someone come with an explanation of why this surgeon is recommended by this website when he doesnt have any satisfying results to show? Hes a fraud, who has slipped through, why?

The legitimacy of this forum has just took a giant hit. He should be kicked out immediately.

I agree. This forum has the likes of Lorenzo, Bisanga, Konior, Hasson, Wong, Mwamba, Feriduni, Maras, Erdogan, Reddy etc who are the elite, cream of the crop. There are surgeons on here that are not on the same level as the aforementioned surgeons but most of the are still good surgeons. Guys like this doctor are so beneath this forum it is not even laughable...