8 months post op

fallen97

I received a hair transplant back in July of 2013. It is almost 8 months now and I've seen zero new growth. If anything, my hair looks much thinner. Should this be of concern? Has anyone had hair begin to grow past this point? I spent over $7,000 at the Quatela Center in Rochester, NY. I am very worried that I was ripped off. Thank you for any information that can be provided.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

fallen97,

I'm sorry to hear that your hair transplant has not met your expectations. You'll get more quality feedback if you can share some pre and post-operative photos with us.

Did Dr. Quatela perform your surgery? Have you contacted Dr. Quatela? If so, what was his response? As you know, Dr. Quatela is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network and has a long history of delivering excellent results along with quality patient care.

I know you are a hair transplant veteran so you are aware that most experts will advise waiting the full 12 months before assessing the extent of your hair growth. At that time, if your results are truly subpar, I'm certain that Dr. Quatela will do everything he can to ensure your satisfaction.

I have taken the liberty of notifying Dr. Quatela about your concerns and requested that he contact you privately to discuss your concerns and also respond to this discussion thread.

I know from personal experience how it feels when a transplant does not meet your expectations but, at this still early stage, the only thing you can really do is wait until the HT matures.

Best of luck!

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Dear Fallen,

I am sorry to hear that you are dissatisfied with your results. We tell our patients not to judge their results for a full year following a hair transplant as you can continue to see improvement. I understand you have been in touch with my hair team manager and have scheduled an appointment to see me. At that time, I will evaluate your results and work with you to ensure your satisfaction.

I look forward to seeing you soon.

Vito C. Quatela, MD

I have seen absolutely nothing. No growth at all. I have made an appointment in April. I was hoping to hear of some stories from others who have experienced growth following 8 months, but now I am even more concerned. This has been quite the ordeal for I had expected by now to see some sign of new hair growth. Thank you for all who responded as well as the message from Dr. Quatela. I will try to remain hopeful and I will update following my appointment.

Fallen97 ever heard the saying "pics or it didn't happen" ? haha Man you can't just accuse someone of ripping you off with no proof. Post some before and after's please

At the same time those Quatela results from his website are the saddest results I've ever seen especially from a doctor who has been doing ht's for 25 years! :o

I wouldn't trust a doctor who's main picture of himself looks like it was taken in 1985.

Male - HairRestorationInstitute

Most of this cases is full refund material.

Wow... Most of the results are embarrassing...

awidowspeak, I stated that I was worried about being ripped off. I never made an accusation of such. I know literacy isn't everyone's strong point, but please read what is posted before making asinine comments. I posted the thread to see if anyone else had any experience of growth following that time span. It was more to see if I should indeed be concerned or it I could still maintain hope for results. I will be more than happy to post pics once I have access to doing so, but take into consideration that even pics do not prove anything. Someone could easily post two pics from the same day and claim that they are before and after pics. The Quatela Center has my before pics and they will see me in April to verify for themselves that there was no growth (unless by some crazy chance growth takes place in the next few weeks which is highly unlikely). I do appreciate those who commented with something helpful to say though. I'm glad to see that most on here use it for the purpose it is intended.. a forum by and for hair loss patients and not a juvenile playground.

awidowspeak, I stated that I was worried about being ripped off. I never made an accusation of such. I know literacy isn't everyone's strong point, but please read what is posted before making asinine comments. I posted the thread to see if anyone else had any experience of growth following that time span. It was more to see if I should indeed be concerned or it I could still maintain hope for results. I will be more than happy to post pics once I have access to doing so, but take into consideration that even pics do not prove anything. Someone could easily post two pics from the same day and claim that they are before and after pics. The Quatela Center has my before pics and they will see me in April to verify for themselves that there was no growth (unless by some crazy chance growth takes place in the next few weeks which is highly unlikely). I do appreciate those who commented with something helpful to say though. I'm glad to see that most on here use it for the purpose it is intended.. a forum by and for hair loss patients and not a juvenile playground.

If youre result is anything like whats pictured on his website, its 100% refund. I cant even understand why he dare to show his merits, they are so insanely crap. When he removes 2000 grafts he probably toss away 1900 of them. You can basically make wigs out of the hairs he just ignorantly damage .

Thank you jason5 for the response. I had such high hopes when having the procedure done only to see that I am now off worse than I had been. It's caused a lot of mental anguish and stress and I do hope it is easily refunded since there has been zero results. I think at this point my only option is to undergo SMP to mask the scars on the back of my head.

• 2 weeks later...

I have one pic from before my procedure at Quatela Center and here are 3 I just took. As you can see, not only was there no growth, but it looks worse. This is over 8 months post op. Not sure what to do at this point. I've thought about SMP to at least cover my scars. The worst scar is the one that I received during this last procedure. Before they were somewhat thin but still noticeable with a shaved head. Now I have a huge bare space in the back of my head that I can currently cover. I will post a pic of that soon too. Does anyone have any suggestions in regards to SMP? I'm hesitant to go that route, but thought maybe at least to cover the scars and just get a buzz.

before.jpg.86c23c21809f3a1dc54e427485fc7169.jpg

IMG_1996.jpg.e5baa0e85509240212a1d7a953d8b84f.jpg

IMG_2000.jpg.1896911caac423f8e84244c6755d9968.jpg

IMG_1998.jpg.3028e99d828c32983a4bd4f900615111.jpg

Sorry to hear of your disappointment so far.

I just read your profile and it seems you previously had several Bosley transplants. Also, I notice you are not on any meds. Could it be you have lost more hair to MPB?

Hopefully you can get to see the doc and allow him to post an assessment of where things may have gone wrong.

Anyway, I wish you all the best.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

No, I've been done losing hair due to MPB. I started at 18 and am 36 now. Like my brother, I went through the process before I turned 30. Plus, there is no way I would lose that much within 8 months. I'm very disappointed and not sure what to do at this point.

Disagree. Like I said, my brother (as well as my dad) had the same exact losing pattern and both lost all they would lose before 30. I went through the same exact pattern. The first pic (the before pic) is the hair I've retained for years. So it would be pretty out there to think that I lost all of that within a matter of months when there was no further loss for years.

I should add that what you see that I retained for years in the before pic is all hair from previous Bosley procedures. It would seem that Bosley did a much better job than the approved/suggested place that I went to from this forum. I wish I had stuck with Bosley now.

Sorry to hear your poor result. I cant say i have seen anyone have decent growth after month 8 to be honest.

I notice you are seeing the Dr so i really hope he offers you a refund - there is no way i would want to have

him do another HT - even if it was offered totally free!

Do you have a idea of how many grafts you have left in your donor area?

And yes i do have to agree with others that his website has some very poor results posted, Dont understand why he would post them to be honest.

Wow... Most of the results are embarrassing...

Could some one explain to me how this Dr is recommended on this site then please. If there are no signs of good work , it does not look good to recommened here. Whats going on? :mad:

Disagree. Like I said, my brother (as well as my dad) had the same exact losing pattern and both lost all they would lose before 30. I went through the same exact pattern. The first pic (the before pic) is the hair I've retained for years. So it would be pretty out there to think that I lost all of that within a matter of months when there was no further loss for years.

I have never seen a person lose all they would ever lose by 30 that didn't die at 30 or reach a NW6 by then at least. I'm not saying that it can't happen, it is just very unusual.

I would be very disappointed if I were you as well.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Could some one explain to me how this Dr is recommended on this site then please. If there are no signs of good work , it does not look good to recommened here. Whats going on? :mad:

I too would like some clarification on this matter...

I'd like to know the answer to this too. It is vital that this site retains its integrity and supports good surgeons and criticizes those who fall below the high standards which are expected.

I really want know this too. You have Dr. Bhatti (Asian surgeon) who does much superior work who has got denied here numerous times. Furthermore, about 70% recommended surgeons here are USA based, it makes you wonder?????? None of them show their work, when they do its 2nd rate to Europe and Asian surgeon...