My hair transplant with Dr. Umar.

Hairguy350

I just want to go on the record and state that I do not work for any physician. I am not compensated by any medical entities, and I was not sent here to state my case here as part of a squabble between two doctors. I engaged this conversation in good faith to provide the specific purpose of telling my story to knowledgeable people in the community. I felt due the the circumstances of my case I had a duty to inform people so that they would access to more balanced experiences.

Peacebuddy, I have learned al lot through this experience; too numerous to write here. I think people like spencer k present a more accurate depiction of the industry because there are bad and good information people need access to sources. I was not confident to proceed with second doctor, but after researching and consulting repeatedly it became the best option, and the doctor and staff actually took measurements, hair samples, and the overall vibe was right. I am sure the feeling I had there was the feeling heliboy had when he had umar, we are just polar opposites of similar stories.

Medication, and surgical design timing must be reformed.

During the course of several email consultation dialogue, Hairguy350 was given two options. Here are direct email quotes:

1. 1800 grafts we would restore your hairline conservatively and blend it into your frontal scalp.

2. 3000 grafts would advance your hairline and fill in as well as bolster density in the frontal scalp.

HG: Dr. Umar, I would like to proceed with the aggressive procedure in early January 2013.

I met HG on January 10th to discuss his hairline, frontal scalp and the transplanting of his grafts prior to surgery. He was not sedated, because no sedating medication was provided to him until after we had discussed what HG wanted and what was achievable. I gave HG a marking pencil and had him draw in the hairline he wanted. He was alert and drew his goal of a hairline with one a steady holding the pencil and another holding a large mirror. I then photographed it from several different angles. A couple of those photos are shown below:

Aggressive hairline drawn by HG prior to surgery

1242_zps1249bee6.jpg

1222_zpsb2ef67dd.jpg

I then explained to HG that the hairline he drew was too low. After wiping off that line, I took the marking pencil and drew what I thought was an appropriate hairline, in light of HG’s expressed goals. I photographed that hairline. This hairline met with his approval. Again, HG was awake, and of clear mind, there was no sedating medication in his system.

Less aggressive hairline drawn by Dr Umar and approved by HG

5cm2_zps86f904a6.jpg

1262_zps971d9632.jpg

Before any medication was given to HG, I assessed his condition. After the assessment, I instructed a member of my staff to provide and administer meds to him. All of the members of my staff, the medical assistants, the registered nurse, are licensed or certified to practice within their scope of certification in the State of California. They would not perform tasks that is outside the scope of their state sanctioned designation. They would not give a patient medication until after I had seen the patient and Okay the choice and doses of the medications. We hire only state sanctioned medical personnel in the clinic.

There were two days of surgery earmarked for working his frontal scalp and hairline, January 10th and 11th. Although we discussed the overall transplant and hairline, and drew the hairline on January 10th, the transplanting of grafts into HG’s new hairline area did not occur until the second day of surgery, January 11th. Only the frontal scalp and areas behind the proposed hairline were done on the first day. Prior to the hairline surgery on January 11th, HG did not raise any concerns or request any modifications of the hairline I drew the day before which was still evident.

Photo taken at end of surgery to Frontal scalp (day 1) and hairline (day 2)

1362_zps62db4e7e.jpg

I note that HG wrote on this thread:

“However, I never saw the doctor until I was already given sedatives to knock me out for the day. At that time I was under the influence of these sedatives, and not able to fully comprehend or understand what exactly was going on. I passed out shortly after Dr. Umar entered the room. I have no recollection of asking any questions, getting any answers, or collaborating, or agreeing to what was designed.”

Contrast that with an excerpt of an e-mail that I received from HG:

“You are correct that you did give me a mirror to draw where I wanted my hairline, however, I recall drawing a line at the recession of my existing hairline. You made a remark that I was not much of an artist and instructed me to lean my head back and began to draw a hairline on my head. Leaning my head back is the last thing I remember due to the medication that you instructed your techs to give me.”

You can see that HG does recall what occurred and claims to have no memory when it is convenient for him. He suggests that he lay back and passed out as I drew in his hairline. Except that he wasn’t laying back when I drew in the hairline, he was sitting up wide awake. As you can see from the posted photographs HG was sitting up, with the hairline drawn in. If he would grant permission to allow his eyes to be shown, you would find that HG was looking alert and attentive. The notion that HG was sedated before we discussed the transplant and hairline, and that he passed out shortly after I entered the room, is absurd.

Then there is the issue of when he believed his hairline was not right.

9/16/13 “I had issue with the lowness of the hairline from day one,…”

9/17/13 “I did not realize the gravity of what had transpired until several months later when the transplanted hair grew in, and around the six-month mark I felt something was wrong.”

HG e-mailed the clinic almost every month. On June 4th he wrote “While I find that the work is very artistic and professional, everything seems to look pluggy at this point, will that change?” I don’t transplant plugs, I transplant follicular units, naturally occurring groupings of hair, by FUE. In the early stages of growth, before all the transplanted hair has grown in and areas look thin, individual follicular units might look pluggy to some, but the look of a hair transplant is not meant to be assessed at 5 months. I responded: “I will not worry about plugginess until the 12th month since a lot of the softer hairs may take 12-18 months to grow in” in Another email I advised: “ The nape hairs used for softening of vanguard hairs takes at least 1 year to manifest fully. It is at that point the softness or lack thereof can be judged”

In this thread, on 9/6/13, HG wrote “In my e-mails with Dr. Umar he echoed his sentiment that I would likely need another procedure to fill in some gaps where hair was sparse.” I did not tell him that. I did advise that if HG wanted to add density, there is always the option to have another procedure to add density. Whether or not the density of a transplant is acceptable to a patient, can only be determined after waiting at least 10 months. Again, I told HG to allow the hair to grow, and that I thought he would be pleased with the ultimate outcome.

HG is able to “consult every attorney imaginable in California,” visit at least one laser clinic and a number of other transplant doctors, but didn’t come to my office and show me what was bothering him. Whatever his complaint or concern was, I would have listened to him and reviewed in detail the specifics of any complaint he had. In all of my communications with HG prior to the publication of this thread, I have always been courteous and respectful with him.

As to the photo posted by HG in which “5 cm” is written in blue ink on HG’s forehead, if the point of the photo was to communicate that HG’s hairline was 5cm from his eyebrows, a photo with a measuring tape or a metric ruler placed on the forehead would have shown the actual height of the hairline. In my opinion, HG has his eyes wide open and his forehead furrowed so as to make his forehead seem smaller, so as to make his hairline appear lower than it actually is. The hairline which HG received at my clinic was not 5 cm. The posted photos should make that fairly obvious.

As to the issue of plugginess, I cannot speak to suspect photos shot under nebulous circumstances and likely shot after the areas have been lasered and or surgerized by another clinic (s). I can only speak to what I do in my clinic and the kind of result it produces. Many members of this forum are recipients of my hairline work.

In qualified candidates, I use finer nape and finer peri-auricular hairs (fine hairs around the ears) in conjunction with regular head singles to achieve the softness needed for natural looking hairlines and temple points. Nape and peri-auricular area hair: Like body hair extractions, require extra FUE skill to harvest efficiently. It is well know to this forum that I have been using this hair in qualified patients for hairline, temple point reconstruction, as well as eyebrow hair transplants which all have a need for softness. After 8 years of using this hair, I have found that with the exception of some body hair ( see my publication on the subject in JAMA Dermatology JAMA Network | JAMA Dermatology | The Transplanted Hairline: *Leg Room for Improvement ) , nape hair singles impact the softest possible look to hairlines. Nape hair doubles also impart softness that may even exceed the regular head singles that is traditionally used in transplants. Under high power magnification, however they would appear as doubles. In nature the fineness of the hairline is imparted by the presence of thin caliber hairs that include doubles. Traditional transplants tries to mimic this by planting only thick single hairs from the middle of the back of the head. We are capable of mimicking nature by using a mix of single nape hairs, regular head singles and finer double nape and periauricular hairs.

Thus In a work that involves not only the advancement of a hairline and reconstitution of the temple points, but the thickening of the frontal scalp, you would come across all variations of hairs. And in this evolved approach, the appearances of these hair (cropped or not) would vary at 6 months, 10, 12 and 18 months. No serious clinic would pass judgment on work done at 6 months or less to the extent of committing the patient to the invasive procedure of reversing the hair transplant surgically. Which appears to have occurred in HG's case.

In May, about 4 months after surgery, HG e-mailed and indicated that there was a gap between his old hairline and new hairline and that the frontal area seemed thin. Although provided photos did not reveal this to me, I responded back and informed him that these areas would fill in over time.

On June 4 and June 6, about 5 months after surgery, HG disclosed to me that he had been diagnosed with mental disorders and implied that because of this, he could not wait for the hair to grow in. A couple of days ago HG wrote “I do not wish to discuss my mental health because I do not believe it is related.” I recognize this is a sensitive issue. However, when HG wrote to me, he indicated that it was related. And if after implying that he cannot wait for his hair transplant to fully manifest becasue of the diagnosis and follows shortly afterwards with non surgical and surgical procedures to remove his transplant, it is rational to assume it is related. Please note that I did not disclose what his diagnoses were, nor did I disclose the text of those e-mails.

As time went by I received e-mails from HG complaining that his hairline was too low, and that he was going to have his grafts removed. I asked him, in the strongest terms possible, not to remove his grafts. I told him that if another doctor had advised him to remove his grafts, have the doctor call or e-mail me. I did not receive a call or e-mail from any doctor or clinic.

I eventually became aware that HG wrote on another website that he had laser surgery to remove his grafts. At another point, he e-mailed me and told me he was under the care of another transplant doctor, and that this doctor would call me. That doctor did not call me.

I treated this patient just like all of my other patients. He would have received a good result if he had waited for his hair to grow.

Edited by Dr Umar

In all 3 of my own HT (x2 FUT and x1 FUE) i was given only sufficient medication for the actual surgery required. And all 3 the hair line was drawn before any medication was prescribed/needed.

In fact i would say the Dr strived to keep the medication at a minimum througout. And being in the medical profession myself i have a very good understanding of all the varying types of medication.

Yes people respond differently to medication - however these changes are under constant supervision by those present and qualified to do so.

i find no holes in Dr Umars account of this event. It does sound like buyers remorse.

From dr. Umar's Pre and post-op pictures there does not appear to be anything wrong with the hairline placement. Hair guy, you really should have waited the full 12 months to see this through.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

HairGuy

I say this in a somewhat spiteful way but you should be ashamed of yourself for this. The hairline Dr Umar gave you is not what even I would call aggressive. He removed your temporal recession which in my opinion is what pronounces hair loss and he gave you a very nice design.

I have gone through that same preop procedure at least 20+ times over the last 5-7 years with Dr Umar. I along with many others have sat in the same seat as you in Dr Umar's surgical chair same with the same mirror for pre-op confirmation and all of the remaining preoperative instructions. You have a great looking head of hair in the attached photo which I personally will tell you that I am somewhat jealous of to be able to start with. You have tried in your other pics to look as if you have no hair to work with. For you to be able to start with hair like that and simply not be able to wait another 3-4 months for growth/maturation is simply unbelievable to me. If for any reason after the reasonable time period requested by Dr Umar - if you had any concerns he would have addressed them if he felt that it was needed. Am I saying that as ' a fan '. NO - I'm saying that as a patient.

I am a pharmacist as well with a doctorate degree and 16 years of clinical practice in a level 2 trauma center. I know the effects and intents of each of the preop medications and I can tell you furthermore that I have taken those same preop medications on each of my visits to have restoration work done.

I can only wish you the best. I will tell you this. You had better be very careful with the guidance of care that you are currently under because he is trying to use you as a marketing tool .He has a history of it but you are simply his next victim. You dont know his history and he has pawned you off making you look VERY VERY poorly. A part of me feels a bit sorry for you to be quite honest.

As a veteran of 20 + years trying to get my hair restored and finally getting that acheived by Dr Umar - I can assure you there is very little else you can say on this forum after seeing these pics that you are going to get the sympathy you are looking for.

Take care! This is a total waste of everyone's time

HairGuy2.jpg.152011b31cb05b0b6b4044cddcbfa02c.jpg

Edited by Heliboy

Hair guy, you really should have waited the full 12 months to see this through.

I agree hairthere...the more I think about it, the sicker I feel about this situation. It really is just unbelievable that transplanted hair was removed at six months. SIX MONTHS? Any doctor that would do this without even discussing it with the first physician should possibly have their medical license revoked. If Hairguy is going to sue anybody he should think about suing the reckless doctor that would remove transplanted grafts at six months before a complete result was anywhere near possible to see. I wished Hairguy would have taken the time to go see Dr. Umar before over-reacting in what looks like was a panic state of having grafts removed at six months. I hope somehow this sad story will end happily for Hairguy.

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

Any doctor that would do this without even discussing it with the first physician should possibly have their medical license revoked.

The surgeon involved should have had his license revoked a dozen times, but yet he still practices hair transplantation on a daily basis... The stories I have heard from patients(victims) of his made me sick.

The surgeon involved should have had his license revoked a dozen times, but yet he still practices hair transplantation on a daily basis... The stories I have heard from patients(victims) of his made me sick.

I agree. I mean, the surgeon involved has a docket (not good)written up on him with the Medical Board, and yet this person still practices medicine? WTF? There is a reason why good docs like Dr. Umar do not have reports written on them for the public record at the medical board. Not rocket science folks.

Atticus

Edited by Atticus

600 FUE - 12/07 - Performed by Dr. Umar of Redondo Beach, CA

*****300 leg hair FUE implanted 7/12 to the eyebrows - 150 each eyebrow. Performed by Dr. Umar.

Guys,

I appreciate everyone's input on Hairguy's case, in particular, Dr. Umar for his willingness to be transparent and provide a detailed response which includes photos, email excerpts and quotes. After reviewing all the detail of this case, I truly find no fault in Dr. Umar's procedure and believe that Hairguy panicked and began having grafts removed prematurely. I have seen numerous examples of Dr. Umar's work to know that he does not place multi-haired follicular unit grafts in the hairline. I also know that at only 6 months, not every hair has started to grow in and a result can appear wispy and/or pluggy while it's progressing.

I also have no reason to believe that Dr. Umar over-medicated Hairguy or any of his patients and believe that Hairguy was of sound mind while discussing all of the details of his hair transplant and hairline placement with Dr. Umar the day before and of his procedure. It's also apparent that he was happy with placement until up to and/or around 5 months post-op. It's also clear that he has contradicted himself on this forum about when he started having concerns about his hairline as Dr. Umar pointed out.

Now that Hairguy has had ample time to provide his side of the story, members have provided their input and Dr. Umar has responded in detail, I agree with what Spanker said that it's now time to lay this topic to rest.

Hairguy, in my opinion, your actions to have grafts removed at only 6 months was very premature and you should have waited and worked with Dr. Umar at 12 months if you still had concerns. In my experience, Dr. Umar is a stand up surgeon and would have stood behind you if you had legitimate concerns at 12 months. I hope you take all this as a learning experience. I truly wish you the best in getting the results you want and deserve.

Best Regards,

Bill

I have seen numerous examples of Dr. Umar's work to know that he does not place multi-haired follicular unit grafts in the hairline. I also know that at only 6 months, not every hair has started to grow in and a result can appear wispy and/or pluggy while it's progressing.

With all due respect Bill, it is evident that there are multi-hair grafts in the hairline and temples. Maybe the tech had a bad day or lost concentration for a little while, we don't know. No one here thinks this was intentional, but it is the fault of the clinic. By 12 months the surrounding hair could have grown around the multi-hair grafts and disguised them but that doesn't take away the fact that they are there. That is my biggest problem here. Not the supposed 5 cm hairline... Just my thoughts.

Mickey,

You are missing the point. First of all, Hairguy has already been caught in several contradictions, so we really don't know when those photos were taken (which could have been after some of the hairs were removed for all we know). Also, hair all grows in at different times....thus, the multi-haired grafts you are seeing in the hairline could be behind hairs that haven't grown in yet. Multi-haired grafts are often placeds a few rows back, so it's not unusual for those hairs to be visiblle at such an early stage.

The bottom line is, 6 months is far too early to assess the final result, which includes the final hairline.

Realistically, if Hairguy consulted with Dr. Umar in person when he had concerns, Dr. Umar could have taken blown up, detailed photos he could have shared with us. But instead, he consulted with several other people in person, not allowing Dr. Umar the chance to evaluate his case or take photos.

Bill

Mickey, when a doctor creates recipient sites they are designed to fit specific graft sizes. So I don't think it is even possible for a tech to fit a multi-hair graft into a site the doctor designated for a single.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

Mickey, when a doctor creates recipient sites they are designed to fit specific graft sizes. So I don't think it is even possible for a tech to fit a multi-hair graft into a site the doctor designated for a single.

Whilst correct, hair transplantation is not an exact science. What we see in the photos ARE multi-hair grafts in the supposed hairline. Rendering that theory moot. I certainly understand what you are saying, but unless my eyes deceive me, those are multi-hair grafts. Also, I have some double and even a triple-hair graft in my man-made widow's peak, so it is certainly possible for multi-hair grafts to grow in a slit designed for a single hair graft.

Have to admit Hairguy, looks like you were involved in the design phase and you seem to be upright with multiple designs being offered. Is it possible you blanked it all out due to your med knockout?

Honestly I wish my Doctor had mapped out alternates that I could choose from rather than the 5 second offering...

Dr. Umar’s response is again a product of spin. He met me in the operating room after having been given the following medications by his staff (document posted to my profile). I have attached the medical record. There was no mention at the time of election of what would constitute an aggressive hairline in my case. I felt the effects of the medications well before the little talking that transpired in the operating room. He did not explain that whatever was drawn by me was too low because I have no memory after leaning my head back as I have stated before. I have never stated that I had no memory of the entire event. I clearly stated that I felt the effects of the medication and their escalation in the beginning. I also clearly stated the initial events up until I was asked to lean my head back as the last thing that I remember. The doctor has again taken my words out of context and paraphrased to fit his narrative. In addition, Diazepam has been shown to cause amnesia. Therefore, it is more than plausible that during this initial time frame that amnesia may have occurred.

Duration of amnesia during sedation with diazepa... [J Oral Surg. 1975] - PubMed - NCBI

“Before any medication was given to HG, I assessed his condition.” I am sorry because this is not true. The nurse, tech, or whatever her title is gave me medication prior to the operating room, where Dr. Umar eventually showed up. Therefore, this is an intentional false statement, as are Dr. Umars false claims about what I have stated as what I have memory of; what is absurd is the gaps in the physicians paraphrasing.

The doctor claims to have been courteous and respectfully, but that is not the case. I also find it interesting that shortly after repeatedly contacting me to try to get me to disclose if I was such and such username on realself.com that the 7 five star reviews and 1 one star review had 7 more five star reviews added, one of which is from atticus under the name abner.

Here are the facts: Medications were given prior to any hairline consultations. I have no memory of events after being instructed to lean my head back, and I have never said anything different. I tried to keep a positive mental attitude to wait out and see how the too low and straight hairline would grow in hopes that the result would still be positive. I explained why I did not wait. My story minus small details that have been addressed has not changed. Dr. Umars story has fluctuated throughout this whole process, and contain false information. My mental heatlh information was used to portray me in a false light to attack my credibility and induce speculation by the reader.

Luckily, my attorney is also an MD so I look forward to the litigation of this matter.

I agree that this thread has run its course as all parties and commenters have had time to post and reply. It should remain searchable and readable because it contains information from all sides. In the near future I will post more up-close multi-hair graft photos to my profile.

@black amish, I responded to your question as use of diazepam has been linked to amnesia. Is it possible that I suffered from amnesia due to medications used. Yes, but that would still constitute being impaired even if I was amnesiac and then fully unconscious, as opposed to fully unconscious from the point of being asked to lean my head back. Both would still constitute impairment and an inability to consent.

Mickey85, I will update my profile with high resolution photos of the hairline multi-hair grafts in the next coming weeks.

Mickey, I'm not debating whether or not multis were used in the hairline, I am just saying that the chances of it being from tech/doctor error are not likely, especially from a clinic that has this much experience.

Looking at the pictures of hairguy from month six I noticed his native hair is longer than the HT work. In this case it probably would have been wise for hairguy to shave down and let the areas blend in naturally as the HT grew in. This was a strategy I used when I first had my hairline reconstructed. It made the Ht work less abrupt and noticeable, especially at 6 months whcih is still relatively early in the HT phase.

Hairguy, As I suggested in a previous post, at this point it's best for you to move on from this experience, whether the doctor was at fault or not. Your hair looked pretty good pre-op, IMO, and it does not appear you have been butchered.

Honestly I wish my Doctor had mapped out alternates that I could choose from rather than the 5 second offering...

Why did you proceed with a doctor giving you a shoddy pre-op plan?

Was it because you had already paid?

For me the issues of when the drugs were administered and how the hairline design went down is pretty much impossible for us to determine the truth because it is a case of he said he said.

The other problem is hairguy shot himself in the foot by seeking repair work at 6 months. If the results were truly as bad as he claims, his unwillingness to wait until the hair transplant matured and instead seek corrective work pretty much renders his claims of poor work meaningless and impossible to prove.

The reason I say it is impossible to prove is because no one can be sure if the 6 month pics were taken before or after corrective work. All of the photos hairguy posted of himself at 6 months look to me like corrective work had already begun. Also I'm posting all of his 6 month photos below. Hairguy claims they are all at 6 months and all prior to corrective work being performed, however in each pic the condition of his hairline looks significantly different, which if they were all taken at 6 months would only be possible if he had already undergone some corrective work in between taking those photos.

16937_zps7322f857.jpg

16934_zpsa19df4e0.jpg

4_zps62a7580b.jpg

6_zps8160beef.jpg

Now you can see that in these 4 photos which hairguy claims to be at 6 months and prior to any repair work, that the condition of his skin and hair at the hairline looks different in each photo, which would indicate that corrective work had already begun and hairguy's account of the facts and timeline may not be 100% genuine.

I could however be completely wrong, but I am just trying to decipher the facts of this case as best I can.

Mickey, I'm not debating whether or not multis were used in the hairline, I am just saying that the chances of it being from tech/doctor error are not likely, especially from a clinic that has this much experience.

It doesn't really matter anyway, there are always going to be discrepancies that we can argue and hypothesize. I'm not sure why there are multi-hair grafts present.

Also Bill, this post is not in any way to suggest that you or the network are biased or disingenuous at all, because that is not what I believe in the slightest.

However, I don't see the reasoning in always locking negative threads from work of recommended or coalition doctors. If a thread is out of control I understand, but I don't think that is the case with this thread. All other threads on this site are allowed to naturally run their course and fade away as interest wains, and if a poster later comes across the thread and has something relevant to add they can do so. I don't understand why all negative threads are treated different and locked instead of being allowed to naturally run their course.

Dr. Umar’s response is again a product of spin. He met me in the operating room after having been given the following medications by his staff (document posted to my profile). I have attached the medical record. There was no mention at the time of election of what would constitute an aggressive hairline in my case. I felt the effects of the medications well before the little talking that transpired in the operating room. He did not explain that whatever was drawn by me was too low because I have no memory after leaning my head back as I have stated before. I have never stated that I had no memory of the entire event. I clearly stated that I felt the effects of the medication and their escalation in the beginning. I also clearly stated the initial events up until I was asked to lean my head back as the last thing that I remember.

Hairguy is there any possibility you were on other medications or recreational drugs of your own when you entered Dr. Umar's clinic? I don't mean that as a slight, because I took a Xanax before I arrived at Hasson/Wong the day of my surgery. Of course I made Hasson/Wong aware of this the day before at my consult.

One thing I think any future patient should take away from this thread is to try and get a real consult/pre-op plan at a date before your surgery day.

It appears both Hairguy and BlackAmish did not do this and/or felt rushed which should NEVER be the case. If I felt rushed I would never proceed on with a surgery. In my mind it is always good to be able to sleep on these kind of issues in case slight changes/adjustments need to be discussed. A patient should never feel rushed on the very day of surgery. I flew to Vancouver one day early for this very reason. I did not want a consult/pre-op plan on the same day as my surgery.

Also Bill, this post is not in any way to suggest that you or the network are biased or disingenuous at all, because that is not what I believe in the slightest.

However, I don't see the reasoning in always locking negative threads from work of recommended or coalition doctors. If a thread is out of control I understand, but I don't think that is the case with this thread. All other threads on this site are allowed to naturally run their course and fade away as interest wains, and if a poster later comes across the thread and has something relevant to add they can do so. I don't understand why all negative threads are treated different and locked instead of being allowed to naturally run their course.

I agree with this sentiment.