2nd HT w/ Dr. Konior:Chicago

I decided to create a new thread as I approach my 2nd procedure w/ Dr Konior on May 30,2013. Only a couple days away now. You can read my original story http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/169669-my-hairloss-rollercoaster-medication.html

In a nutshell Dr. Konior is simply outstanding. My first procedure was great and it was a great success. It was about 2300 grafts in my frontal 1/3. I was taking propecia and minoxidil every day as well. I then started to have panic attacks that were keeping me up at night. Was put on Paxil and eventually androgel and ED meds to combat sexual sides of Paxil. I was instructed to stop minoxidil and propecia immediately. So we take away two meds helping my hair and introduce a strong androgen binding compound in Androgel. Apparently transdermal testosterone applied through the skin has a high conversion to dht compared to the injectable version of testosterone. The hair fell out like crazy. Most horrific shed ever. Stopped Androgel but the damage was done after 2 months.

attachment.php?attachmentid=44728&d=1369215324

attachment.php?attachmentid=44727&d=1369215302

attachment.php?attachmentid=44726&d=1369215283

This brought me here to Dr. Konior, probably 10 years earlier then expected for HT #2. I always knew it would come, but not so obviously overnight. But here I am just 2 days away and ready to move on. Tom has been great. My wife is supportive, she said she has to live with me for 60 more years and doesn't want me mad about my hair. She also cuts it every other week and has mastered it while surely saving us cash.

Tom will be picking me up from the hotel on the morning of the procedure and taking me back after the procedure is finished. They have been very accommodating. I hope this thread puts some value on not only 1 but 2 transplants with a great Dr. Hopefully the results are mindblowing. My main concern is that I hope he can find enough to address the crown a little as it has shown a little shedding and I would like to keep it in tact as much as possible. I will be updating with pics and hopefully there will be some from further back that I can get from Dr. Konior. Thanks for all the well wishes and advice I have been given. Feel free to ask questions or comment. Updating post-op soon.

Edited by Midwest00

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're in the hands of the best. You'll look great!

My Hair Loss Website

Surgical Treatments:

Hair transplant 5-22-2013 with Dr. Paul Shapiro at Shapiro Medical Group

Total grafts transplanted: 3222

*536 singles *1651 doubles * 961 triples,

*74 quadruples.

Total hairs transplanted: 7017

Non-Surgical Treatments:

*1.25 mg finasteride daily

*Generic minoxidil foam 2x daily

Best of luck Midwest. A really personal story that I enjoyed reading (your other thread as well). Dr Konior seems like a real gentleman and it must be great comfort to be going back to a guy that has already produced the goods for you and is held in such high esteem. Good luck on the day, look forward to the updates!

The good news is that you have a solid starting ground and you know you are in very capable hands. Honestly I think you're better off just getting it over with now rather than having to anticipate when the meds might stop working.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

Look forward to the updates! Dr. Konior is excellent, and I think you'll be very pleased with the second procedure.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Everything went great, as expected. We discussed the goals I had which increased density through out my frontal half and a little bit in front if the crown. Ended up with 2400 grafts. Dr Konior is a true artist and takes perfection seriously. He was very meticulous and focused a lot of time on specific areas to make sure it was just right. Already having a great hairline from him a few years back allowed us to focus on more density. He even cut out an old (bigger) scar from a small 600 graft procedure I had 3 years. Which i regret. Today I consider a success as I gained 2400 grafts and a much better scar.

His staff is incredible. Everything runs like clockwork and they are like a well oiled machine. Konior and his assistants are always communicating to make everything just right. They truly take pride in doing an awesome job as opposed to just getting the grafts in. From my recollection, Dr. Konior placed almost every graft. He only left the room if I needed a break or more numbing medication.

So over 5 years I have been blessed to have around 4700 grafts from Dr. Konior, and 600 from another Dr that added some density to my hairline. So about 5,300 grafts total. Cant wait to see the end result. I have posted some pre and post op photos from today. Later i will post photos from before and after photos from both sessions. I also will be asking Dr Konior for before and after photos from my first procedure to see how far my hair has progressed from the very beginning.

image.jpg.e456d4b285b5fc0bf71236bf34c9cbb2.jpg

Edited by Midwest00

Do you have any photos prior to your first procedure?

What was the distribution of your grafts on your first Konior procedure?

I hade to hear that about the androgel and that you quit fin. That seems like a perfect storm for a dht free-for-all.

I'm sure this will turn out great. Can't wait to see it all play out.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

I will be contacting Dr Konior and asking him for pre-op pics from my first procedure 5 years ago. I myself would like to see them for myself as well as share them with the community.

Graft distribution from first procedure was 2300 grafts on the frontal 1/3 only and creation of a new hairline.

I agree starting Androgel and stopping propecia andminoxidil was a perfect storm. In my pre-op pis I posted today the frontal 1/3 was completely covered with no visible scalp. Also there was zero evidence of hairloss on the crown. I felt the need to share this as some men on this forum may like to "feel" better and look better beyond the hairline. Also many people take fnasteride on this forum. It has caused libido concerns, low testosterone scores, and fatigue..all of which are symptoms that lead to Androgel prescriptions.

Edited by Midwest00

Everything went great, as expected. We discussed the goals I had which increased density through out my frontal half and a little bit in front if the crown. Ended up with 2400 grafts. Dr Konior is a true artist and takes perfection seriously. He was very meticulous and focused a lot of time on specific areas to make sure it was just right. Already having a great hairline from him a few years back allowed us to focus on more density. He even cut out an old (bigger) scar from a small 600 graft procedure I had 3 years. Which i regret. Today I consider a success as I gained 2400 grafts and a much better scar.

So over 2 years I have been blessed to have around 4700 grafts from Dr. Konior. Cant wait to see the end result. I have posted some pre and post op photos from today. Later i will post photos from before and after photos from both sessions.

Nice post-op photo. It looks like you just had your head shaved.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

Went in for follow up this morning (May 31) day after procedure. Dr. Konior says thing are looking good. They did a cleaning of the transplanted and donor area. Not much swellig or pain yet as i have been sticking to meds around the clock.

About 9 days post-op. Everything going as good as expected. Pain subsiding as donor area heals. Not much shedding or graft fallout yet. Not much itch either. All of which was much more present in first procedure that put 2300 on frontal 1/3. Since this procedure was 2400 spread out throughout the scalp is probably the reason for the less acute post op symptoms. Other then that, nothing new to report.

• 2 weeks later...

Coming up on almost a month. Everything back to normal. Just the waiting game now. I was a little concerned that there was no real flaking or scabbing. Did not notice one hair fall out. Shaving really makes you miss a lot of what goes in and out.

Coming up on almost a month. Everything back to normal. Just the waiting game now. I was a little concerned that there was no real flaking or scabbing. Did not notice one hair fall out. Shaving really makes you miss a lot of what goes in and out.

The no scabbing is a testament to how clean his work is. I did flack, it was almost like little pieces of sand.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

congrats and good luck!

konior is definitely in my future

thanks for your bare bones story and pictures

Not a problem. People need to be aware that these things can happen with medications, even with the best of surgeons you can still add years to your hairline in a matter of days when you usenandrogens and /or stop propecia.

I would put up a pic but it looks like pre-op pic right now. I am about 10 days away from being able to fade the sides up to either match the length of the top or be a little shorter, all while not being able to see the scar. The scar revision is awesome. My wife said it is much better then the scar I had b4 the surgery. The Konior scar was awesome after my first surgery, then terrible after my 600 graft surgery by my Dr that did my surgery for my second procedure. Konior took the old scar out and it is much better then it was b4 and will only get better.

• 4 weeks later...

No real change to report at 6 weeks out. Buzzed hair starting to grow out to where it can almost be faded on the sides as normal. Donor area still can be seen at a level 5 blade, mostly because the hair was buzzed around it as well. Gets better each time it is cut.

I do have some itching near the crown and in the frontal 1/3. Hopefully a sign of growth, or nothing at all. I am oticing some crown shedding and still have numbness on the sides above the donor area.

Edited by Midwest00

You should be nearing your low point. Hang in there man. It will be worth the wait, as you already know.

View Spanker's Website

Attached are some 6 week pics. Sill in the awkward phase where the side needs to be long enough to cover the healing scar and the top is thinner and growing much slower then the sides. Baby steps. This part sucks. "4700 total grafts w/ Dr. Konior" breathe and repeat. I hate this stage.

All pics under very bright light. Pic of just hair is the donor area.

photo-17.JPG.596abb9bbdc2e4734f0baff442754036.JPG

photo-12.JPG.c62fca70966c45723069aaa5860ae938.JPG

photo-27.JPG.599d30e565974dd5ebfb810419b679cc.JPG

photo-19.JPG.8f8c7f794e7164880996bed029f5fa4f.JPG

Lol it is. All a par t of the plan. Glad I have been there before a few years ago. Doesn't get any easier. Thanks for the support. Any later I would trick or treat with my kids this October as Gollum