Another how many graphs question..

Seriously starting to think it's time to do something about what's been bugging me for what seems like my entire life. I've always had fine hair and it has been slowly receding at my temples since about age 17. I'm 40 now and have been on Propecia/Minox for about 4 years and I think things are pretty stable but the temple areas still seem to be slowly creeping back. My wife says she doesn't see it, but I do and I'm sure you guys understand what I'm talking about.

I was thinking of having a small area filled to restore a more gradual hairline, and possibly add a little density in the existing hairline area. I don't want anything crazy because who knows what my hair may decide to do a few years down the road.

I am NOT trying to restore my high school hairline.. but honestly just keep it where it is and maybe bring it down just a little bit.

Here are two pictures. First taken in a restaurant in the fall. My hair goes through a pretty nasty seasonal shed so this picture is about as good as it gets... and the lighting helps too.

The second pic was taken today smack dab in the middle of my annual shed (yes it sucks!) after a haircut (clipper guard 4) in extreme bright lighting.. so this is about as bad as it gets.

Anyway... I do have a consult next month and am leaning toward FUE since I do wear my hair short... always have... probably because it is so fine. Ugh. :)

Just curious what you guys think.. Thanks!

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Just added this pic too which is from 5 years ago... outdoor lighting.

standard.jpg

Edited by Logan_P

It's a bit difficult to tell how many grafts you would need based upon those pictures alone. If you're looking for strict temple and frontotemporal corner work, I'd say probably less than 1,000 grafts. If you wanted to reinforce the hairline and restore some of the temples, probably around 1,300. However, it really depends on a lot of different factors, and each surgeon will likely approach the case in a unique manner. Definitely let us know what the doctors think after your consultations!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Thanks for the replies guys!

Right now "I" think that I'd be happy with just some temporal work but I know it's not always just that simple and that I need to listen to the surgeon and see what they think.

I know what I would like to see when I look in the mirror and while it doesn't look like too much to me... I know there is more to it than "just fill this area in Doc"!

James, yes I still think FUE is the right choice for me at this time.

I will let you know what the recommendations are for the doctors that I consult with.

I can't say enough how fantastic this forum is. Dealing with hair loss and everything that goes along with it can be brutal (as you all know) and having a safe place to discuss it with people who understand what I'm going through is awesome.

0 grafts. Seriously, you look fine.

Thanks. Last time I had a consult about 4 years ago that was the decision the Doc and I arrived at.

I'm still not sure that I will go through with it, but I do notice some subtle things which I'd like the doctors opinion on. There's a good possibility that I will continue to ride things out and see how it goes.

Like I said, this time of the year is ALWAYS bad for me and my hair really thins out and I freak out. Hopefully this will be like all the other years and return to it's normal look... but the point of recession HAS changed and I know that will not return.

Again... just kicking the tires on a HT.

Thanks for all the replies.

I'm still not sure that I will go through with it, but I do notice some subtle things which I'd like the doctors opinion on. There's a good possibility that I will continue to ride things out and see how it goes.

Again... just kicking the tires on a HT.

Thanks for all the replies.

Honestly, I think you should start accepting that there will be some temporal recession, not everything needs to be fixed you know. When you lose more hair, and it starts looking bad, only then consider surgery. If you want to prevent loss, use meds, but surgery is for significant loss, IMO.

Consider getting on meds if you have a strong family history, and life your life.

I must say that I am getting replies which I really didn't expect. Not that it's a bad thing at all... but perhaps I need to take a step back and try not to be quite so critical of myself.

It's not an easy thing to do when you've been obsessing over it for 20 years or so, but I will try to. :)

I sincerely appreciate the kind words everyone.

I agree. Zero. For 30, that's a really good hairline (better than mine was by far) but its straight killer for 40. Come back in 15 years and do another check.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Listen to the other posters here. Your hair looks great. You're like a NW 1.5 at 40! Nothing to be worried about. You really don't want to go down the HT route unless you absolutely have to. Hopefully, hearing this from some of the harshest hair critics in the world (the posters here) will help you lose that small insecurity you have about your hair!

Listen to the other posters here. Your hair looks great. You're like a NW 1.5 at 40! Nothing to be worried about. You really don't want to go down the HT route unless you absolutely have to. Hopefully, hearing this from some of the harshest hair critics in the world (the posters here) will help you lose that small insecurity you have about your hair!

Haha, I know you guys are as harsh of critics as I am so I am able to actually believe it when you say it.

When my wife says she doesn't see things the way I do, I'm always wondering if she isn't just saying it to make me feel good.. and I'm too damn self-conscience/private to ask anyone else's opinion.

So...YES, it really does help to hear people on this forum say it.

• 1 month later...

Guys,

I had a follow-up consult (Dr. Cooley) and was recommended 800-1000 grafts, to reinforce the hairline and "slightly" drop the temple region.. and strengthen a little into the part region. As you can see in this picture the part area is quite thin, which is normal I suppose.

Again I am NOT trying to really change the hairline, but simply make it stronger and more defined and give it a more refined shape as it transitions into the sides.

I haven't been able to find many threads about what I'm trying to achieve, so please feel free to comment.

I know lots of you guys are telling me not to do anything, but it really bothers me and IS impacting my life. If I can do something to make my life better I am certainly going to consider it. As always, comments are welcomed!

standard.jpg

Man..... just.... Don't... Please..... If it really bothers you and really impacts your life... You could get the issue sorted for much cheaper by stepping back and maybe trying to work on why it is an issue for you. I wish I had done that. I had a similar situation to you and I wanted it fixed. "It will improve my life" I thought. Turns out for such a minor level of loss(if any) the difference was also minor. You hear stories about guys on here who had decent loss, had great transplants and their friends and families did not recognize them and were stunned(in a good way). That won't happen with guys with minimal recession. Girls won't be falling over eachother, as much as we think they would hehe. It didn't with me. I paid handsomely for a HT and even though we all want an undetectable look, it is bittersweet when the result finally comes to fruition and no one notices a difference because of the minor tweak. Chances are you won't listen to this, I understand, because I sure didn't listen when people told me to just enjoy my life. But I hope you do listen.

EDIT: Just saw that you are 40! Man you have a juvenile hairline at 40! People younger than you have transplants that aren't as low or dense as yours. Enjoy your good fortune man and go on a well deserved holiday! :)

Edited by Mickey85

Yeah dude.. listen to the guys on here.

Can you do some work to improve the hairline density slightly? Yes.. you can.

Is it worth it? No, not at all.

Let's say you do opt to get 1000 grafts or so. What happens if you get a bad case of shockloss? What if the scarring or redness doesn't fade? You would be 1000 times more pissed than if you had little to no hair to begin with.

Not worth it dude.. Get on propecia if you're not and call it a day.

DON'T DO IT! YOUR HAIRLINE LOOKS GREAT!

What's more, I am 43 and was basically in your shoes 2 years ago. Doc told me "Propecia won't help that. Only option for you is 1000 grafts." I went with his suggestion, and his suggestion to lower the hairline a little bit (I only wanted it thickened up a bit). 16 months later it looks awful. I literally sat at work today with chest pains all day long thinking how bad it looked. I slept virtually none last night. Don't do it, don't do it, don't do it....This industry is sick.

0 grafts. Seriously, you look fine.

^This.

DON'T DO IT! YOUR HAIRLINE LOOKS GREAT!

What's more, I am 43 and was basically in your shoes 2 years ago. Doc told me "Propecia won't help that. Only option for you is 1000 grafts." I went with his suggestion, and his suggestion to lower the hairline a little bit (I only wanted it thickened up a bit). 16 months later it looks awful. I literally sat at work today with chest pains all day long thinking how bad it looked. I slept virtually none last night. Don't do it, don't do it, don't do it....This industry is sick.

Every industry that makes money is "sick". There's good guys and bad guys. Everywhere. Don't throw all the good guys under the bus because of one bad experience.

I have thought about my comment stating that this industry is sick since posting it yesterday - wondering what replies it might generate.

I agree that with any industry there are good and bad guys; I also agree (from what I've seen of some doctors' photos such as Feriduni and Bisange) that it appears there are some truly great surgeons out there who can really make a significant improvement in people's lives - with the caveats that I have not actually seen in person their work, spoken with their previous patients, or been able to assess their ratio of satisfied clients to non-satisfied clients.

Perhaps even my EXTREME dissatisfaction with my own hair transplant by the doctor who did mine is a fluke (even though since 16 months ago I have come across two other negative reviews - still, maybe the three of us are less than 1% of my doctor's clients and the remaining 99% run the gamut from mildly satisfied to totally elated).

Nonetheless, it seems that the number of dissatisfied hair transplant clients on this site is quite high (perhaps satisfied clients are too busy out enjoying their Saturdays at the golf course with hair blowing in the wind to make social calls at hair transplant sites...). That this industry appears to me to have a significant number of dissatisfied clients and yet continues to saunter on with minimal regulation or oversight suggests the industry as a whole is indeed sick and in need of "treatment".

But more importantly, I want to convey to Logan the gravity of making such a decision as a hair transplant - especially for someone who in my honest opinion needs nothing more than propecia/generic finasteride to live out his days happily at the golf course with his hair blowing....hmmm

well....assuming that he keeps his military hair cut, let me rephrase that: live out his days with the wind blowing though his hair..... :)

I will have to concur with those who say 0. I really see absolutely no point in undergoing surgery to restore anything. Surgery is a last case scenario and should be heavily considered. You will more than likely lose more hair in the following years and this will make any surgery you have now look silly (to which you will be almost forced to get a follow up hair transplant. I would say wait until you actually have noticeable thinning.

My Hair Loss Website

Surgical Treatments:

Hair transplant 5-22-2013 with Dr. Paul Shapiro at Shapiro Medical Group

Total grafts transplanted: 3222

*536 singles *1651 doubles * 961 triples,

*74 quadruples.

Total hairs transplanted: 7017

Non-Surgical Treatments:

*1.25 mg finasteride daily

*Generic minoxidil foam 2x daily

Alright, alright... I get it. :)

I have been on Finasteride/Minox for 4 years and have notice some additional recession since then, but I guess that just comes with getting older.

It's tough because my hair is so fine, and light... that you can see right through to my scalp most of the time when cut short like I usually wear it. When I grow it longer it drives me nuts too. I can't win! haha

I know lots of you think I'm nuts but it's been a big deal for me for so long that I have a hard time turning it off. I know ALL of you know what I'm talking about.

I have a question as well... I recently switched from Propecia 1mg MWF to Proscar 1.25mg MWF and while they should absolutely be the same thing... should I expect any sort of shed like I did when I first started Propecia?

Thanks for everyones input... you have no idea how much it helps. (group hug)

:)