FUT with Dr Ron shapiro in Jan 2013

kred2

Hi All,

After a thorough research for about 3 years, I finally ended up scheduling for a HT with the best doc in SMG. I tried every possibility to cover my thinning areas using toppik, dermatch but felt they only serve a temporary purpose and hence gave a thought of going for a HT finally for a permanent result. I am on propecia and rogaine for about a year now and I see a lot of difference without any kind of side effects. I also started working on improving the scalp laxity using the specific exercises as told by SMG.

Since this is my first HT ever I am very nervous and excited at the same time too. I have been following this network from a very long time and it really helped in understanding about the procedure and finding a good surgeon with the posts from some of the experienced people here in this network.

Awaiting for the big day!! :)

FUT with Dr Ron Shapiro on Jan 2013

2333 grafts- 1's 903, 2's 1261, 3's 169

"the starve for hair is like money.......you always want more!!"

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nervousness is completely normal. Heck, I still got nervous the night before my third transplant.

Great call with Dr. Ron. Can't do any better. You're doing this the right way.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Thanks guys!!

I'm also lucky to be a resident of Minnesota, just few miles away from clinic ;).

Goodluck Kred2.

Top surgeon and top clinic.

Keep us posted.

2 poor unsatisfactory hair transplants performed in the UK.

Based on vast research and meeting patients, I travelled to see Dr Feller in New York to get repaired.

Good luck.

You are with one of the very best doctors and Janna at SMG is awesome.

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

Great choice. I have to say I will be having Dr. Ron do my hair transplant if I ever need it. I have worked in that office in Minneapolis and they use an incredible group of talented technicians. I am sure your results will be impressive.

Thanks for your wonderful comments :).

I have planned for a 25 days vacation to give time for healing. Do you guys think if this a sufficient time frame to cover the scar and redness of scalp? I don't have work from home option and I have to work at client location. Since some/many of you had the HT already done in the past, what do you suggest?

I really don't want to wear a cap in office to give a feeling to my colleagues that I am hiding something.

Thanks for your wonderful comments :).

I have planned for a 25 days vacation to give time for healing. Do you guys think if this a sufficient time frame to cover the scar and redness of scalp? I don't have work from home option and I have to work at client location. Since some/many of you had the HT already done in the past, what do you suggest?

I really don't want to wear a cap in office to give a feeling to my colleagues that I am hiding something.

25 days should more more than enough time to heal up and look normal again for work. Depending upon your skin type you may or may not still have some redness in your recipient area but a little Dermatch or similiar product will take care of that if you are feeling self conscious about it.

Keep your hair long enough in the back to cover the donor scar and you will be good to go.

Thanks justone......I hope I will have the hair I wanted by next year and meets my expectations. I will keep you guys posted with my pics from the day of surgery.

Meanwhile I am going through the posts of many to understand their HT journey and making myself prepared with it in advance. I appreciate their detailed post from the start of the procedure till a year completion. It really helps!!

Hello guys,

I am a new member to this group though I have been silently researching about the different topics posted here since one year as a guest member! Initially, I was reluctant to join thinking as I did not approve a surgical option for myself. However, I have changed my opinion over the past one year. I am 35 years old with baldness at the top of my head and though I can live with it, I have begun to think that going for a hair transplant will give me a better look and a boost to my confidence. I hope to hear from you guys and make new friendships. The reason I have posted here is because I am considering the option of going with the Shapiro guys after doing some research. I will post some photos in a few days but would like to hear from any of you about your success with Dr.Shapiro.

Kred2, nervousness is very normal. You chose a great clinic. They will put you at ease and you are in great hands. I was very nervous also, but once I got there, that went away. I am scheduled for round 2 with Dr. Ron in January. Best of luck with your procedure. Look forward to hearing about it and following your progress.

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUT 6/14/11 - 3048 grafts

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUE 1/28/13 & 1/29/13 - 1513 grafts

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/orlhair1

Hi Orlhair1,

Thanks for your post!

I saw your HT pics starting from day 1 till 7month post op mark, you had an awesome transformation I must say. You look pretty nice with the hair you have right now, just curious to know the reason for your second HT?

Thanks. If you look at my photos, there are some additional later shots as well, showing a full year. My second procedure is just to fill in my temple corners a little and while doing that, I am going to thicken up a couple of areas. Definitely not necessary, because my original HT result is a stand alone result that I am very happy with. I think because my first experience was so positive, I just decided I wanted to have some more work done.

I see that and agree with you. When you had the grafts placed was it too near to the good quality native or far from it. I am asking this because I read about the shock loss of hair, and considering my situation I have hair all over the head- but thinning of hair but not bald patches. My case looks little similar as you. So did you experience any kind of shockloss?

Appreciate posts from experienced folks too, I would like to know more about it.

On the crown and behind the hairline, the grafts were mixed in with the native hairs. I experienced very little if any shock loss, but that is always a possibility. If it does happen, all but the weakest hairs will grow back, and those weakest hairs were on their way out anyway.

@ Shampoo - thank you!!! Very kind of you to say.

@kred2 -

To get back to normal without people detecting ht work depends on how big a session you're getting done. I'm guessing by the instructions given to increase donor laxity, you're doing a fairly large session where the native hairs will need to be shaved. If your recipient area needs to be shaved, the redness will dissipate by 10 days post op but your hair will still be noticeably short on top compared to hairs in the back and sides. What you need is time for the native hairs to grow back - I believe it's 1/2 an inch hair growth a month.

If you're doing a relatively small procedure and your native hairs don't need to be cut, then you can go undetected at one week - two weeks tops.

Big congratulations on your choice of Dr and confirmation date of surgery. You have picked the very best and I wish you all of the luck moving forward with this! :-)

Patient Advisor for Dr. Bisanga - BHR Clinic 

ian@bhrclinic.com   -    BHR YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcH4PY1OxoYFwSDKzAkZRww

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

@Janna

Good to hear from you. I visited SMG couple of times but never got chance to meet you. Most of my never ending questions and concerns were patiently answered by Matt :). As far as my procedure is concerned, Dr Ron has thoroughly evaluated my hair loss and is looking to go <=3500 grafts on my 1st procedure covering my hairline and frontal area. Since I am responding quite well with meds finasteride & Rogaine (comparing my before/after pics of 8 months mark), he will not be touching crown at this time. Planned for a 25days vacation to give time for healing and will resume to work after that.

@StaggerLee123

I hope valium works well on my nervousness and reducing pain :D

@SADbutTRUE

Thanks for your encouraging words.

@Raphael84

Thanks much for your wishes. Like others, I hope his magic hands work well on me too.

Edited by kred2