Jotronic-HT#4-11 Months

Jotronic

Guys,

In other words, as a virgin scalp, taking the path I have with Dr. Wong, I'd have probably 13,000 to 14,000 grafts in my bank in total. The possibility boggles my mind!

After that, I won't blame myself anymore for wanting to have more hair because after having over 9k grafts and excellent result, "hair greed" is a thing that you can't stop!!!!!!!

By the way, congratulations for the wedding!! How does it feel now that your excellent hair belongs to only one woman??:)

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After that, I won't blame myself anymore for wanting to have more hair because after having over 9k grafts and excellent result, "hair greed" is a thing that you can't stop!!!!!!!

By the way, congratulations for the wedding!! How does it feel now that your excellent hair belongs to only one woman??:)

Haha, feels pretty good but it's only been five weeks so far:) She was sitting next to me when I was posting this thread and while she's seen my old pics before, she saw them again and in her lovely accent said "Thank God for Dr. Wong", lol! We did have a discussion about what she would have thought of me without hair, or as I was, and she said that while attitude and personality is the biggest thing for her she said the hair I have now is a HUGE improvement that helped in her final "decision";)

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Haha, feels pretty good but it's only been five weeks so far:) She was sitting next to me when I was posting this thread and while she's seen my old pics before, she saw them again and in her lovely accent said "Thank God for Dr. Wong", lol! We did have a discussion about what she would have thought of me without hair, or as I was, and she said that while attitude and personality is the biggest thing for her she said the hair I have now is a HUGE improvement that helped in her final "decision";)

Nice. :cool: Well done, Joe, well done. ;)

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

• 1 month later...

So I'm at 13.5 months now and I decided to get a buzz cut to see how it all turned out. #8 for the top and #3 for the sides and back. My hair looks a LOT thinner in these pictures but it illustrates something I've been telling all of you for years. There is a sweet spot for length and of course when one cuts their hair this short it will look considerably thinner than even when it is only a little bit longer. In my 11 month update the top was approximately 2 inches long whereas here the top is one inch long. With the top 2 inches long my hair looks like it is completely full save for the slightly thinning look in the crown.

dsc_2327.jpg?986676658

dsc_2279.jpg?332462842

dsc_2302.jpg?1774407279

dsc_2314.jpg?508085208

dsc_2334.jpg?1499480289

dsc_2335.jpg?2147184992

dsc_2339.jpg?570576916

dsc_2340.jpg?23656663

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Thanks for the update Joe! I especially appreciate your honesty with these pics. I absolutely agree that a longer length can improve the appearance of density with transplanted hair. This is part of the reason why I have to decided to grow out my hair indefinitely to see what I can come up with.

All that said, your hair still looks very natural. You've cut it short and the pics are in broad daylight - the harshest of conditions. At its worst - it could pass for slight diffuse thinning at this length. But like Levrais said I probably wouldn't assume you had one transplant, let alone several. And trust me when I say I'd be looking for it. :)

Still looking great Joe - even with the buzz cut! Thanks for keeping us posted and, more importantly, educated!

P.S. Love the whirl of your crown!

Edited by aaron1234

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Still looks awesome short consdiering where you have come from before any ht work but yes it does miss the extra scalp blocking effect with it short.

My Theory is when you grow thinning hair long it makes the overall effect of your hair look a lot weaker because the strands are thin at the ends but with ht hairs they're full thickness strands so if you double the length of these strands then it doubles the coverage of your scalp making it twice as thick on top so it does make perfect sense to have it longer.

Bonkerstonker! :D

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1977

Update I'm now on 12200 Grafts, hair loss has been a thing of my past for years. Also I don't use minoxidil anymore I lost no hair coming off it. Reduced propecia to 1mg every other day.

My surgeons were

Dr Hasson x 4,

Dr Wong x 2

Norton x1

I started losing my hair at 19 in 1999

I started using propecia and minoxidil in 2000

Had 7 hair transplants over 12200 grafts by way of strip but

700 were Fue From Norton in uk

Joe,

As you always said and i think everybody can remember that you have very thin hair and in the harshest lighting conditions that's what we are seeing.

I believe anyone with the exact characteristics as you without any hairloss can show some see-through with that angle and lighting.

My point is, you are looking great ahahahah!!

The short haircut looks awesome! Should keep it like that. While there is some contrast with the back, you can always use slight concealer when you're in harsh lighting events. But it just looks like very slow natural diffuse and not a transplant at all.

The buzz style looks so much more modern/young/hip. Your longer haircut has too much of a old-man combover look, while the shorter buzz cut makes ya look 20 years younger. You could hit the nightclub scene again, lol.

I think people should go for a little more modern hairstyle after spending so much money on a transplant.

Edited by destro21

Thanks boys. I appreciate the comments.

Destro,

I agree, it would be nice to see some more modern hair styles on HT patients but not everyone can pull off such styles as many patients just don't have enough hair to accomplish such a feat. However, modern hairstyles are not nor should not be the goal of getting a hair transplant. The goal should be to have the ability or the option for more hair styles than one has now, modern or not, as modern quickly becomes relative and what may seem like an "old man" cut now may be the new "modern" cut next year:)

I'm ranting but bottom line, I get your point and I'm glad you like the style I'm sporting now. I may try some toppik again soon to see how it looks at such a length but I don't use the stuff normally. It's too addictive and makes me look like I have the fullest head of hair you've ever seen.

Joe, you got a great transformation when comparing where you started. You hair looks great and the side part really suits you, you might want to try American Crew fiber, it has a matte finish and makes it easy to style with some added thickness.

Out of curiosity when were you a norwood 5 (at what age)?

Did you ever take finasteride?

Have you maxed out your graphs (not that you would need anymore)?

Thanks boys. I appreciate the comments.

I may try some toppik again soon to see how it looks at such a length but I don't use the stuff normally. It's too addictive and makes me look like I have the fullest head of hair you've ever seen.

yeah, guess you don't really need it now since it looks full enough.

By the way, did you use minox after your surgeries to help the follicles nourish? Does H&W suggest/require you or other patients do so?

Edited by destro21

Joe, you got a great transformation when comparing where you started. You hair looks great and the side part really suits you, you might want to try American Crew fiber, it has a matte finish and makes it easy to style with some added thickness.

Out of curiosity when were you a norwood 5 (at what age)?

Did you ever take finasteride?

Have you maxed out your graphs (not that you would need anymore)?

Thanks. I'm not positive when I first became a NW5 but I think it was when I was about 25.

I didn't start finasteride until I was 32 years old, the day after I had my first HT with Dr. Wong. Had I had access to finasteride when I had my first two HT's in the early 90's then I would never have reached NW4 status, much less NW6+.

No, I have not maxed out my grafts. If we wanted to push it I could get another 2000 grafts via strip and maybe another 1000 with FUE but that would be pushing it with regards to my donor density.

By the way, did you use minox after your surgeries to help the follicles nourish? Does H&W suggest/require you or other patients do so?

No, the only time I used minox was in 1996. I used it for a few months but I grew to hate the twice daily routine that made my already nasty looking hair look greasy and limp. I eventually read on the side of the box that it may cause heart palpitations and I thought, "that's it, no more" and I never used it again. We as a clinic do not recommend it as there is no evidence that it helps to kick start new graft growth any earlier than if it is not used.

Jo - I had a question for you, what length at the top do you find provides the best coverage of you hair. Do you find it best at leaving the top a certain length like 3 inches or more? I've heard keeping it too long longer than 3 inches for a person thinning provides less concealing as opposed to just at 3 inches to provide a better overlay effect.

What are your thoughts and experience regarding that?

Balody,

Hah! You caught that. Yep, that was my version of Blue Steel.

Logitech69,

Different patients will have different "sweet spots" and there are usually more than one. In my case, the sweet spots are at about two and a half inches as seen in my 11 month update and then it looks pretty good at about 5 inches and about 7 inches. It also depends on the style. When my hair is only 2.5 inches long on the top it looks like hell if I try the brush back style. If my hair is really long on top is looks like like hell if I comb it to the side like I do when it's 2.5 inches. Different lengths work better in different styles. I know it is common sense but a lot of people don't think it through like that. Here are some examples...

About 2.5 inches all over the top...

dsc_1010.jpg?i=83870460

About 5 inches all over the top...

269.JPG?i=322722779

about 7 inches all over the top...

243.JPG?i=1147584747

Like I said, different patients will have different sweet spots. There are so many variable that go into this it can boggle the mind.

Joe

How long did it take you to find your " sweet spot "? Did you find it, or did your hair stylist just fix it and that's how it happened? I'm sure it takes some tweaking!

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

Agree on the "Sweet spot" idea. Mine is at 1 3/4" and over 2.5 inches, does not work for me. There may be another sweet spot at a much longer length but once it hits 2.5", I chop it back down to my known sweet spot. One day, I may get the internal fortitude to let it grow very long to discover if I actually have a second sweet spot :)

My Hairloss Web Site -

Procedure #1: 5229 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Oct, 2010

Procedure #2: 2642 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Aug, 2013

7871 Grafts

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=2452

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so I normally don't do this but last night the wife and I went to the H&W Xmas party and I thought I'd throw some Toppik in my hair just for the hell of it. My hair is still quite short so I was curious how well it would take. Obviously it worked very well and only servers to remind me of why I need to stay away from this stuff. I could get VERY used to this look. My hair is about 1.5 inches on the top and about .75 inch on the sides and the back. Oh, and btw, I'm 14 months post-op from HT#4.

tp1.jpg?i=1931779038

tp2.jpg?i=2048261304

tp3.jpg?i=550480354