Dr Wong gives me the bad news:(

Just got back from seeing Dr Wong at his clinic.

My first trip to Dr Wong was back in 1999 when I was 22 years old,he told me then what he told me today 12 years later....no transplant for me.

i am happy and sad as well,happy because its over now,I can put away false hope of a transplant in the future and move on with my life,sad because i will never be able to live my life the way i once visioned it could have been after a transplant.

I have diffuse hair,thining all around,Dr Wong stated a hairtransplant surgery is cosmetical and that its to make your appearance better,a hair transplant would make things worse as the scar would be visible from a mile away,plus because i have diffuse hair i would not be happy with the results.

I would like to commend Dr Wong on his approach with me,he could of tooken the 15k from me and I would have been screwed,but he didnt and I thank him for this.

My hair has improved drastically in the last 12 years,I did give up about 3 years ago and got off Proscar,he said I was nuts and to get on it asap.

I have been on 5% minoxidil for the past 6 months however,he prescribed me proscar3x a week,D3 and a Multi vitamin.

With toppik my hair looks okay,but i guess Im gonna have to live with it now.

Plan to start

Proscar today and the D3 and Multivitamin.

Continue with Minoxidil 5%

Plan to lose 30 lbs

Quit smoking and shape up things I have control of,will keep you guys posted

We all know that Dr. Wong is a honest doc and your story just proves that even more.

I do agree with him that you were crazy to get off the Proscar! :eek: Stay on it dude! :D

I'm just curious as to whether you have looked into Dr. Rassman's scalp micro-pigmentation and if you would ever consider it? If I had no hope with HT's I would personally take a serious look into that. But I understand if you aren't thrilled going the inking route.

But taking your focus off the hair is not a bad thing. Quitting smoking would be even more kick ass then a 6K mega-session! :D

All the best dude.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Just got back from seeing Dr Wong at his clinic.

Plan to start Proscar today and the D3 and Multivitamin.

Continue with Minoxidil 5% Plan to lose 30 lbs Quit smoking and shape up things I have control of,will keep you guys posted

Great attitude!

5700 FUE in 3 procedures with Dr. Bisanga

View my patient website:

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1874

Scalp pigmentation is not great IMHO.

I agree. Just like regular tattoos, it can start looking smeared after several years. Then what do you do?

SRK735, what is Dr. Wong's reason for the D3? I've read a little about it possibly being associated with lengthening the anagen phase of the hair cycle but not enough to draw conclusions.

Also, how is your donor area? Is it too seeing some diffuse thinning?

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

Scalp micro-pigmentation can actually render EXCELLENT results, and if you're going to wear hair anyway, it'll just create a shadow--that is, the appearance of more follicles.

If you go to someone who specializes in it, you have to realize that this cosmetic tattoo (it is a tattoo after all) is very different than the tattoo you get at your regular tattoo parlor. The pigements are different, too. Regular tattoos "smear," but cosmetic tattoos -- micropigmentation of the scalp, eyebrows, eyeliner, lip liner, etc., etc., etc. -- will fade long before that. They only last a few years before they're virtually undetectable. In other words, you'll be back to get it redone, but they won't smear, smudge, or turn blue if you're going to someone who specializes in the art of micropigmentation and using very specific tools and pigments.

Honestly, I'm considering having it done on my scar (had a HT three weeks ago) when all is said and done. I'm in no rush, but if/when I decide to cut my hair short (and once I've confirmed I won't require another procedure...at least for a while), I'd definitely consider it.

That said, yes...get back on the propecia/proscar! And Dr. Wong should definitely be commended for giving you the honest truth about your situation.

Or go to Dr. Umar for some magical FUE procedure using beard hair and some of what is left in the donor area. Dr. Umar really amazes me of how to fix HT even if it was the worse. TALENTED REALLY.

Plug removal + Strip scar revision - Dr. Ali Karadeniz (AEK)- May 23, 2015

Plug removal + 250 FUE temple points- Dr. Hakan Doganay (AHD)- July 3, 2013

Scar Tricopigmentation- Dr. Koray Erdogan (ASMED)- May 3, 2013

2500 FUT (Hairline Repair)- Dr. Rahal- July 26, 2011

My Hair Treatments:

1- Alpecin Double Effect Shampoo (Daily)

2- Regaine Solution Minoxidil 5% (2 ml once a day)

3- GNC Ultra NourishHair™ (Once a day)

4- GNC Herbal Plus Standardized Saw Palmetto (Once a day)

My Rahal HT thread http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/164456-2500-fut-dr-rahal-hairline-repair.html[/size]

Hariri I dont think you undertand what diffuse thinning is? Since the hairloss has no pattern there is no guarantee that the grafts will grow and if they do grow no guarantees that they wont fall out in the future.

Using beard hair on a virgin scalp on diffuse thinning makes no sense. Understood if its for repair and there is no other choice thats understandable. Have you ever since body hair or beard hair transplant in person. I assure you that from what I have seen it completley unmanageable and not very natural. That is why people with body hair have to keep their hair short.

In my opinon the growth for body hair is often alot lower than scalp and the cost are extremely high.

Representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

For your info amico, Beard hair grows as fast as scalp hair almost, I was not talking about the body hair (below the head). When you say the cost extermely high, well for example with Bisanga its EURO 5 for Scalp hair FUE and EURO 6 for beard hair. Where is the extreme in this?

Just because it didnt work with Wong, it doesnt mean it wont work with other surgeon, for example check out DREW35 (http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/159577-i-had-my-3rd-hair-transplant-dr-sanusi-umar-5-035-grafts.html). Person should never lose hope. H&W are just performing strip nowadays. So he can go and search for other solutions like FUE or you want to stay home and thats it. I bet in couple of years H&W will offer FUE. Thats the market buddy. Chill Chill.

Edited by HARIRI

Plug removal + Strip scar revision - Dr. Ali Karadeniz (AEK)- May 23, 2015

Plug removal + 250 FUE temple points- Dr. Hakan Doganay (AHD)- July 3, 2013

Scar Tricopigmentation- Dr. Koray Erdogan (ASMED)- May 3, 2013

2500 FUT (Hairline Repair)- Dr. Rahal- July 26, 2011

My Hair Treatments:

1- Alpecin Double Effect Shampoo (Daily)

2- Regaine Solution Minoxidil 5% (2 ml once a day)

3- GNC Ultra NourishHair™ (Once a day)

4- GNC Herbal Plus Standardized Saw Palmetto (Once a day)

My Rahal HT thread http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/164456-2500-fut-dr-rahal-hairline-repair.html[/size]

Hi Lorenzo,

'Since the hairloss has no pattern there is no guarantee that the grafts will grow and if they do grow no guarantees that they wont fall out in the future'.

I had diffuse thinning from the front to my crown and I had a HT. The hair that was grafted has grown really well and I'm querying whether you are saying that DHT resistant grafts are going to fall out later?

I understand that in old age even DHT resistant hair can fallout but wasn't away that this could happen in diffuse thinning hair. Or are you referring to hair in the donor/safe area?

Regards

Rod

Rod in your case its appears your diffuse thinnng was not in the donor area. In some cases its not diffuse thinning but normal male baldness..Its hard to predict that is the problem. I am happy all as gone well for you.

In this person case it appears that he has diffuse thinning all over therefore taking it from the donor area is not a good idea. Even if it grows at the beginning there is no guarantee that it will in the future. Of course I am not a doctor but can only give you my thoughts on what I have learned and what I have been told.

Hariri taking beard hair and donor hair from a diffuse thinner is not a smart idea. Its not about who can do what its called common sense. Sure its a great idea for some doctor that want to make some money but in my opinion its not. Therefore I dont agree at all with your advice. Its nice to see that you know alot more not even looking or seeing the patient than Dr. Wong does. I have seen and heard Dr. Wong and know that his full 100% intentions are alway for a patients wellbeing. I feel bad for this patient but its nice to see a doctor regardless is, to be concerned what is best for the patient.

Edited by lorenzo

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

He's better off having nothing at all done, a naturally bald head looks fine, as he doesn't have near enough donor, there's no point in doing anything. Most of Dr Umar's BHT cases are repairs, this guy doesn't need any repair.

Body hair has strange characteristics when on the head, you can comb it when it's dry and it stays combed, it doesn't ping back the way scalp hair does.

It is very very good for strip scars, and I think it's fine as a final filler if you have run out of good scalp hair, and it does look good if kept short.

I wouldn't want it over my entire head.

Agree. BHT transplants for full coverage just do not look natural IMO. Unfortunately, there are some conditions that are just not well suited for a HT. While I agree that consulting with a few top surgeons in any situation is a really good idea, I would not ignore advice given by top surgeons such as Dr. Wong gave in this case.

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUT 6/14/11 - 3048 grafts

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUE 1/28/13 & 1/29/13 - 1513 grafts

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/orlhair1

SRK,

I sympathise with your situation mate.

The good news is that your hair has improved over the years and you seem to be a positive sort of chap.

I can really tap into how you feel when you say how your life would have mapped out so much differently with a HT on board, albeit I am in a much more fortunate position than you. Hair loss is afterall relative and the psycological effects are massive, no matter what extent your hairloss is.

I sometimes look at NW 6s and see how happy they are in life. Being a NW2, I would trade places with them if it meant happiness and not thinking about hairloss every day.

Hairloss for me has made me self reflect, and it aint pretty what I learn about myself sometimes.

Your honesty is admirable. Providing that you don't want a second opinion (?) you now have the rest of your life to get on with.

All the best and I wish you every happiness.

Jessie

Guest JhonPaul
We all know that Dr. Wong is a honest doc and your story just proves that even more.

I do agree with him that you were crazy to get off the Proscar! :eek: Stay on it dude! :D

I'm just curious as to whether you have looked into Dr. Rassman's scalp micro-pigmentation and if you would ever consider it? If I had no hope with HT's I would personally take a serious look into that. But I understand if you aren't thrilled going the inking route.

But taking your focus off the hair is not a bad thing. Quitting smoking would be even more kick ass then a 6K mega-session! :D

All the best dude.

A nice reply surely my words would had been nothing different.

In a small number of people the donor area thins also. Finasteride is supposed to help this area also.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

I expected nothing else but the truth from Hasson and Wong all though they are a business and there to make money they are very conscious of their patients and future patients welfare!

On top of that for me Dr Wongs lateral slit tool has been the best Ht invention ever.

Edited by bonkerstonker

Bonkerstonker! :D

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1977

Update I'm now on 12200 Grafts, hair loss has been a thing of my past for years. Also I don't use minoxidil anymore I lost no hair coming off it. Reduced propecia to 1mg every other day.

My surgeons were

Dr Hasson x 4,

Dr Wong x 2

Norton x1

I started losing my hair at 19 in 1999

I started using propecia and minoxidil in 2000

Had 7 hair transplants over 12200 grafts by way of strip but

700 were Fue From Norton in uk

Hariri I dont think you undertand what diffuse thinning is? Since the hairloss has no pattern there is no guarantee that the grafts will grow and if they do grow no guarantees that they wont fall out in the future.

Using beard hair on a virgin scalp on diffuse thinning makes no sense. Understood if its for repair and there is no other choice thats understandable. Have you ever since body hair or beard hair transplant in person. I assure you that from what I have seen it completley unmanageable and not very natural. That is why people with body hair have to keep their hair short.

In my opinon the growth for body hair is often alot lower than scalp and the cost are extremely high.

Completely agree it's over now for the patient surgery will make things much worse.

Bonkerstonker! :D

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1977

Update I'm now on 12200 Grafts, hair loss has been a thing of my past for years. Also I don't use minoxidil anymore I lost no hair coming off it. Reduced propecia to 1mg every other day.

My surgeons were

Dr Hasson x 4,

Dr Wong x 2

Norton x1

I started losing my hair at 19 in 1999

I started using propecia and minoxidil in 2000

Had 7 hair transplants over 12200 grafts by way of strip but

700 were Fue From Norton in uk

Dr. Wong said a transplant would be a bad idea because your strip scar would be visible. Why couldn't you transplant some grafts on top to give you a little more thickness via FUE, where the scar would not be visible. Start with a very small session and see how it turns out.

If he has diffuse thinning in the donor area then even FUE scars would probably be more noticeable than someone with healthy donor hair. Then you also take into consideration the risk of shock loss in the recipient region (because with diffuse thinning his native hairs all over are probably weak) & donor region as well. Too many risks. Not worth it in my opinion. Shave it and love it!

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

There was a situation a few years ago concerning diffuse thinning which I know I mentioned on one of my posts. Two patients showed up from Europe to have a transplant with Dr. Hasson. When Dr. Hasson saw one the patients he looked alot different from his photos he sent and was suffering from diffuse thinning. Dr, Hasson mentioned to the patient that he was unable to do surgery because of this. The patient insisted and didnt care about the risks. It even got to the point where one of the patients (without the diffuse thinning) told Dr. Hasson if dont do surgery on him then you wont do surgery on me neither. So even after this threat Dr. Hasson didnt bend and both patients left with a full refund and no surgery.

Around 1 or 2 years later I recieved an email from the person without diffuse thinning saying they both went to another doctor that was willing to do surgery on a diffuse thinning. In fact he even said it wasnt diffuse thinning but nornal male pattern baldness. He said he was a content but wished he would have just had surgey with Dr. Hasson. His friend at 6 months was satified but at 14 months wasnt because either some of the grafts fell out or they didnt grow I dont remember.

I agree with Sparky. This poster is very knowlegable so I am sure he will be ok.

Yeah, absolutely agree with Sparky and lorenzo on this one. Not everyone is a candidate. We should be grateful he didn't go to an unethical surgeon. This guy has got bigger fish to fry then hair loss - i.e. ditchin' the smokes.