HAIR Procedure gone wrong (Dr. Goretz)

Dave123

First of, if you can download some pre-op and post-op pics. Also immediate post-op pics would be even more helpful. 1,320 grafts is not a large procedure so maybe you didn't understand that during your consultation. But I have no idea how much yield you got, or if the technique was flawed, etc., unless you show us some pics. I wouldn't go back to the doc for a second procedure if you think the first one was a failure.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

I have never heard of a doctor refunding. I would forget it and move on with plan B, whatever that might be. There are no laws.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

I have never heard of a doctor refunding. I would forget it and move on with plan B, whatever that might be. There are no laws.

Agreed..you might be able to get a discount on a second procedure, however, I wouldnt go back to the same doctor!Makes it tough!!

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

Good luck, It sound like you went to a non reputable doctor, as most are not gonna promise great results!! I dont think you are gonna get a refund..sorry..I would choose a surgeon on this site and get your situation resolved!!

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

.. he said it will be fully grown and he promised

I know it looks pretty weak, but perhaps, for 1320 grafts, it may well be 'fully grown'. The pics we can see show a bright light shining on your forehead and as you know, hair transplants are just illusion and if the hair is too short, unless it is planted specifically for a short hair style, with a well positioned light, the illusion is totally destroyed. Perhaps in better light it looks better but not good enough. I think the doc misinformed you but I guess you signed a disclaimer, i agree with the other posters who said that getting your money back is usually impossible. What bugs me most, is that the clinic's can get away with saying stuff like, "completely natural result" knowing that if they end up in court they can say, 'thinning is a natural result' . Sucks to be where you are right now. You have a lot of options if your donor has only been taxed to the tune of 1320 grafts. Next step - make it a cool one. (easier said than done, but this board should help)

Hey Guys,

My name is David. I had an bad experience in hair transplant Seattle. I had done a 1320 FU hair transplantation on the frontal head and year after I had bad results. I still have to talk to the doctor but need some of your advises. I have no idea on how to approach the doctor in case he makes excuses. I paid 5k and have no job. I am student and now in big debt. Please help me on how to approach the doctor and GET my REFUND.

I basically have 2 options,

A/ Get refund if he is willing (can he deny that? I did not get the results he did said to get me)

B/ Get a second surgery but would I want to get another surgery with him. Well, that is option only if he is not willing to refund me. Are there any laws that they have to refund? how do I apporach the doctor. He did not get me the results as he said.

Below are the PICTURES

Picture 1- PRE- OPERATION (dots are the day after surgery)

Picuture 2-4 -------YEAR after surgery (barley grew and it was a mess. I had small hairs before operation too, he said it will be fully grown and he promised)

Crying now, so upset :(

Dave,

Welcome to the forums! Let me begin by expressing my sincere apologies about your hair transplant result. It's difficult when a procedure does not progress according to plan, and it's disheartening to hear how deeply this is affecting you.

Having said that, I do believe you've "come to the right place," and you'll find our discussion forums and dedicated members very helpful during this upsetting process. Additionally, I wanted to thank you for sharing these images and your story.

With regard to your specific inquires:

Because it does not appear as if your hair restoration surgeon is affiliated with our network, we (the moderators) can't actually contact the physician or formally arrange any sort of communication. However, as a patient, you definitely have the right to contact the office (phone or email), share your experience, send the clinic these images, and ask for the opportunity to fix the situation.

Both scenarios, a refund (partial or full) or a second repair procedure (even at a reduced price) are not too uncommon, but this is something you'll need to arrange with the doctor. However, I'm sure some community members have experience in this area and would be more than willing to share expert knowledge.

To my knowledge, there is no "law" stating a physician must return money for an unsatisfactory result, but you may want to thoroughly review the pre-surgery contract you signed and see if this scenario is addressed. Furthermore, you may want to discuss the "guarantee" claims made in the contract as well.

At this point in time, I would do the following:

1. Contact the clinic immediately. Share your information, photographic evidence of your results, and state that you would like to discuss the situation with the operating surgeon.

2. If any sort of refund is offered, you can definitely take this; if a repair procedure is offered, and you are comfortable with the physician, you can pursue this route as well. However, if you do receive some sort of financial compensation and would like to seek a repair elsewhere, I suggest reviewing our recommended hair transplant surgeons.

3. Continue both participating in this thread and researching the discussion forums. This review will help you better understand and resolve your current predicament.

Again, I'm sorry to hear about the procedure, and I hope this helps. Please feel free to ask any additional questions. Good luck!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Dave,

I wanted to inform you that I merged the two threads created to address your hair transplant experience. This merge will make it easier for members to evaluate the situation and offer advice.

Good luck!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

You can try to get a full (or partial) refund but it probably won't happen. The best thing you can do is do a ton of research and get to know your stuff. After that start consulting with TOP surgeons, not just ones closest to you. You should look into surgeons who do good repair work. After one bad procedure you can't afford to have another. Be very smart this time around and start saving your money.

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

Thanks all for taking time to answer my questions with your great responses.

@Future_HT_Do: I will follow as you said, I will keep you updated on what happens. I plan to visit him next week after calling and making appointment. Wish me luck !:eek:

@scar5: I will try to find better picutures of post surgery and post them here.

So, are you guys saying, 1320 graft is very small number of grafts and it won't fill my frontal part of the head? See, he covered only the 1/3 part of my frontal head on the picture below. The surgery took only one day.

a1.jpg.361ed68c129a0bec327f63b2f2f0de15.jpg

Was this a FUE or FUT?

FUT maybe.

I had a scar on my back of my donor head which is going to stay forever. I can't get shaved anymore because of that scar. So sad that I lost this much money for this doctor. I hope he will be able to do something. No idea how to approach him

Next when I see him, it is my yearly visit after surgery. I guess he might act like this was a success but what he told me and what was delivered is not even close. Yes he gave me some hair line but not much hair. I have bald spots and can't comb my hair backwards :(

I have to cover the bald spots or USE eye liner (black) to cover bald spots...

YOU SEE MY PAIN! :(:(

If you have a scar on the back of the head then you have FUT (strip). Talk with your doctor but I wouldn't go back to him even if he offered a free procedure to be honest. Yes, 1,300 grafts probably wouldn't have done the job in the first place but it doesn't look like that even grew.

Hi guys,

I have visited the doctor

First when he saw me, he was so pleased with his work. I told him there were very little growing and after all. He said, " he can only do 35% density with 1420 FU without stressing the blood flow. Is that true?

He said, for additional density up to 55% ,it might cost me $4500 for second procdure. Which I can not afford. I taught the first procedure will take care of it.

I did try my best to explain to him it was not good enough but in a way, all he cared was that the hairs grew compared to what I had before. Before doing the procedure, he did not made it clear that only 35% will grow in density. In a way, I was able to tell that he was saying " if you want more density then it will cost more".

I thought those grafts were enough for density on the frontal part of my forehead?

To be honest, yes there was difference. I had hairs growing but there is bald spots and it's not thick enough. What do you think?

In my every day life, I had to put black eyeliners to cover the bald spots and seems like the doctor did half-work. He said, it would take another surgery for good thickness with additional cost. Any advice?

There appears to be a problem with communication. When the doctor say 35% density I dont think he is saying 35% of the grafts grow he is saying 35% or either original density or the density he is able to achieve. Yes there can be a problem with blood flow but this is only when either a high number of grafts are put in an area usually over 60 per square cm (this depends on size of holes, hair size and bundles) or if there is scar tissue in the area. This is either an excuse or way of covering his ability or lack of growth.

Looking at your pictures (which is hard to tell) 1420 graft is a small number in this area. So even if ever graft grew you would probaly still be disappointed with the density. As well as you have afro hair which is very diffult to cut and takes alot of experience. But when done right curly hair does give the illussion of higher density compared to straight hair. Looking at your pictures and I am guessing I feel not all grafts grew probaly less than 50%.

Your doctor may be correct feeling content because it all depends on what kinds of average results he is able to achieve. For a moral top doctor they would be veryt disappointed. It should have been stated from the beginning that 1420 grafts would not be nearly enough to achieve a satifactory density even if they all grew.

I am sorry to hear about your experience and disappointment.

Representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

There appears to be a problem with communication. When the doctor say 35% density I dont think he is saying 35% of the grafts grow he is saying 35% or either original density or the density he is able to achieve. Yes there can be a problem with blood flow but this is only when either a high number of grafts are put in an area usually over 60 per square cm (this depends on size of holes, hair size and bundles) or if there is scar tissue in the area. This is either an excuse or way of covering his ability or lack of growth.

Looking at your pictures (which is hard to tell) 1420 graft is a small number in this area. So even if ever graft grew you would probaly still be disappointed with the density. As well as you have afro hair which is very diffult to cut and takes alot of experience. But when done right curly hair does give the illussion of higher density compared to straight hair. Looking at your pictures and I am guessing I feel not all grafts grew probaly less than 50%.

Your doctor may be correct feeling content because it all depends on what kinds of average results he is able to achieve. For a moral top doctor they would be veryt disappointed. It should have been stated from the beginning that 1420 grafts would not be nearly enough to achieve a satifactory density even if they all grew.

I am sorry to hear about your experience and disappointment.

Hey thanks for the great reply. I have uploaded new pictures.

Before surgery, with grafts, and after year from surgery. So 3 steps of pictures. Please see if there is difference and what you think, Thanks!

Do NOT visit this doctor for another procedure!

You are not likely to see a dime in a refund, but it's worth the effort to make the attempt. However, if all you lose is 5K, consider yourself lucky. Many people, myself included, have lost 10 times that amount for even worse results than you got.

I cannot stress it enough: If offered a FREE repair, decline it. You will only end up with a second strip scar and another mediocre result. You can be repaired, no doubt, but not from this doctor. By taking another chance with him you run the risk of doubling your initial mistake.

Now is the time to educate yourself on all the options you have available. And, even though 5K seems like alot of $, it really isn't. Just don't compound your mistake by getting another session done with this doctor if you are unhappy with the result.

• 3 months later...

Dage,

I have to say that I'm more than just a tad confused. It appears as if you claim to be David the originator of this thread and yet you've logged in with a completely new account and a different IP address from the one used by the OP "Dave123" consistently in every other post. If you are in fact Dave123 then you have already received my response to the original request to delete this discussion.

Again, if this is Dave then I'm truly happy to hear that your physician is working with you and I hope that you find the resolution you seek and finally achieve the results that you deserve. But, this community frowns upon members creating discussion threads and then deleting them or requesting that they are closed simply because they become uncomfortable with them. We prefer that members stand behind their comments and that these discussions remain in order to aid other hair loss sufferers in their research.

I sincerely hope that this latest post is not an attempt by those affiliated with the clinic to manipulate the moderators of this community into censoring this discussion. Just as all patients are encouraged to share their hair transplant experiences (good or bad) with our community, physicians are also encouraged to present their side of the story openly and transparently.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

Is there anyway to find out who the doctor was? The discussion is rather moot point for others to avoid such a travesty if we do not know...

Dage,

I have to say that I'm more than just a tad confused. It appears as if you claim to be David the originator of this thread and yet you've logged in with a completely new account and a different IP address from the one used by the OP "Dave123" consistently in every other post. If you are in fact Dave123 then you have already received my response to the original request to delete this discussion.

Again, if this is Dave then I'm truly happy to hear that your physician is working with you and I hope that you find the resolution you seek and finally achieve the results that you deserve. But, this community frowns upon members creating discussion threads and then deleting them or requesting that they are closed simply because they become uncomfortable with them. We prefer that members stand behind their comments and that these discussions remain in order to aid other hair loss sufferers in their research.

I sincerely hope that this latest post is not an attempt by those affiliated with the clinic to manipulate the moderators of this community into censoring this discussion. Just as all patients are encouraged to share their hair transplant experiences (good or bad) with our community, physicians are also encouraged to present their side of the story openly and transparently.