HT #2 Dr. Dorin: 1,305 Grafts FUT

On August 10th, 2011 I underwent my second hair transplant of 1,305 grafts FUT with Dr. Dorin in NYC. The graft break down consisted of 534 singles, 728 doubles and 43 triples. Tricophytic closure was used in the donor area.

The procedure went without incident. I arrived at 8:00am and was out the door by 4:30pm. Even though this was a smaller procedure than my first, it actually took a little longer because Dr. Dorin and the technicians were not placing on a completely bald surface like the last time. Being that they don’t shave the recipient site, doctor and technician have to be extra careful not to transect existing FUs.

I specifically requested that Dr. Dorin contour out my hairline because of my personal preference for a more straight or linear hairline. Although Dr. Dorin prefers the more jagged approach like most doctors, he was happy to accommodate my personal request. Thus, it may appear as if he has lowered my hairline, but he really hasn’t, just squared it off more or less.

I believe that a more contoured hairline will suit me well due to the fact that I have very fair skin and blonde hair, so it’s already difficult enough to see where my hairline starts because there is so little contrast. Again, this is a personal preference— to each his own...

Also, for those of you who have been following my progress, I had originally intended on having anywhere from 1,700-2,000 grafts FUT for my second procedure. However, after a lengthy deliberation, I decided that I wanted to stay conservative this time around, yet again.

My reasoning is that due to the fact that I had a lower than usual yield with my first HT, I theorize that perhaps my scalp is super sensitive to trauma. Even though 1,700 grafts from my first HT is not considered aggressive by any means, perhaps it was simply too much for me…

The simple fact of the matter is that we may never know why I had a low yield. In the absence of any definitive explanation, I decided to play it safe. After all, who is really to say?

However, I do applaud Dr. Dorin for exploring all possible explanations and not shirking from responsibility. Dr. Dorin genuinely cares about his patients and is accountable to them unconditionally. This is the type of quality I look for in a doctor and in my opinion it is what sets the great doctors apart from the mediocre ones.

It’s funny, because on the morning of the procedure, just as I was about to voice my thoughts on the matter and request a smaller session, Dr. Dorin, seemingly reading my mind, said that after giving it a lot of thought the night before, he only wanted to do 1,300-1,400 grafts, instead of going up to 1,800 or so. I had to laugh because I was literally seconds away from saying the exact same thing to him! Funny, right?

Looking at my second HT now, I must say that the work looks really clean. The FUs are packed really tight and I have just they type of hairline I want. I’m even more excited about this one than I was my first because I’ve known all along that I would need two HTs. Thus, this one will give me my final result.

Also, the whole ordeal of the actual surgery was so much less traumatic and took much less a toll on me both physically and mentally. Of course, the meds still made me nauseous but there isn’t much I can do about that. All in all, it was much easier than the first HT.

You can find loads of high resolution pics in my profile album, or go to my hair loss website.

As always, your opinions, thoughts and comments are welcomed…

Corvettester

Edited by corvettester

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Dorin

1,696 FUT with Dr. Dorin on October 18, 2010.

1,305 FUT with Dr. Dorin on August 10, 2011.

565 FUE with Dr. Dorin on September 14, 2012.

Congrats on #2 Corv!

Going conservative this time around was a good decision. The area that was transplanted was small so you didn't need to break the (donor) bank on this round. And besides, totaling up the 2 procedures you have used 3K grafts on the front. That is plenty!

The work looks clean and refined. I think this one will do it for you!

And welcome back, btw. ;)

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

How much did this procedure run you? If you don't mind me asking.

Alexdelarge,

From the very beginning, Dr. Dorin always made it clear to me that he stands behind his work. However, at 8 months post-op, when it became apparent that my yield wasn’t coming through as we anticipated, Dr. Dorin offered me a complimentary procedure for however many grafts I desired.

I felt that he was being overly-generous because the simple fact of the matter was that my HT was a far cry from a failure. In fact, a lot of HTN members rave about what a great result I have!

Therefore, it wouldn’t have been right for me to accept a free procedure from him, so I insisted on contributing financially. Thus, he proposed that he would take care of the first 1,000 grafts and I could pay the normal rate for the anything after that. I still felt that to be overly-generous, but he said that he wanted to include lost time and failed expectations in the compensation... I'm very thankful to have such thoughtful, considerate and sensitive doctor.

At the time, we agreed to aim for 1,750-1,900 grafts or so with my second procedure. However, two months later, on the morning of my second procedure, we both decided that we wanted to go conservative so as to minimize trauma to the scalp and preserve as much donor supply as possible.

No doctor has a 100% success rate. What’s important is how they handle the few less than optimal cases. I’ve seen too many cases where doctors leave their patients out in the cold and I find that sort of behavior unacceptable.

Dr. Dorin was very supportive from the very beginning and I was never made to feel like I had done something wrong or had unrealistic expectations. He was very candid and up-front with me regarding my result and did not shirk from taking responsibility. I am very pleased with his professionalism and the way in which he handled my case.

Corvettetser

Corv,

Welcome back mate.

You are a massive contributor and a huge asset to this forum, evidenced by the amount of messages of support from forum members on a recent thread , even those that perhaps wouldn't usually be on your Xmas card list!

Its worth taking a butchers if not already done so (its closed now).

Anyway, back to more important business: your 2nd HT with Dr Dorin.

What stands out here for me is that Dr Dorin stood by you and supported you when the result was not what it may have been, especially when it was by no means a failure.

This is a very interesting case for me personally, as my next HT will involve transplanting between existing hairs so I can't wait to see how this unfolds. The potential here is very exciting Corv. I would ask you to keep us updated but come on, do I really need to ask you that of all people!!

In my opinion, there is very little between the top handful of world elite in terms of skill, technique and end product BUT there is a HUGE difference, and Dr Dorin has pretty much helped seal it for me here, with regards to a Doctors aftercare and willingness to stand by their patient when the chips are down.

Congratulations Corv, but also to Dr Dorin for being honourable, professional and doing the decent thing. Dr Dorin is an asset to the industry and others would do well to take note.

Happy growing mate,

Jessie

Congrats Corv. Nice detailed write-up as usual. Nothing surprises me about your positive experience and continued high level of care from Dr. Dorin.

I'm sure it's going to turn our great for you.

Welcome back.

jessie1, well said!

Corv,

Its good to see you bro. I like the new design. Its amazing how they can implant between the existing grafts like that. This should fill in very nice. Also it look like you have tons and tons of donor hair if you ever had to use it. Keep posting!

5700 FUE in 3 procedures with Dr. Bisanga

View my patient website:

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1874

Corv- a well documented case and I'm sure it will produce a fantastic result. I don't always agree with some of your viewpoints on here, but the way you document your progress is a real asset to this community and is sure to help newbies.

Looks great. Before the surgery #2 it looked to me like you had decent results, but now I can see what you are talking about. I hope you have better results this go around. I feel confident you will. Good luck.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Corv,

Others have picked up of this. You have great donor hair and hair in general. It looks healthy and full bodied. Sure, when looking at the pics on the day of the surgery I can see where it needs a bit of strengthening. I will be keeping a close eye on your progress.

How are things going, healing nicely?

Regards,

Jessie

Bill, thank you for allowing Corvettester back into the club ;)

Corvettester, it's great that Dr. Dorin stood behind you on this. I truly believe this will do it for you for a while.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

Hey Corv,

It was great to meet you the other day as well. Everything looks great with your number 2.

It's pretty interesting that we both had the same experience of it being so much less of a strain both physically and mentally, the second go round. I was actually completely healed up, with no scabs, by the time I had my stitches out.

I think we're both a testament to Dr. Dorin's strong knowledge and intuition of what his patients want/need, as we both had the experience of him saying what we were thinking before we did. That's what makes him so great.

Stay in touch...I'm glad to see you posting again...

Happy growing,

Ken

I think your decision to have a straighter hair line was absolutely the best idea and i think this will now be a great look for you in a year.

It was very noble of you to insist on paying, heal well grow well pal!

Bonkerstonker! :D

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1977

Update I'm now on 12200 Grafts, hair loss has been a thing of my past for years. Also I don't use minoxidil anymore I lost no hair coming off it. Reduced propecia to 1mg every other day.

My surgeons were

Dr Hasson x 4,

Dr Wong x 2

Norton x1

I started losing my hair at 19 in 1999

I started using propecia and minoxidil in 2000

Had 7 hair transplants over 12200 grafts by way of strip but

700 were Fue From Norton in uk

Others have picked up of this. You have great donor hair and hair in general. It looks healthy and full bodied.

I just learned that I have really great donor hair! It turns out that I have another 7-8k in the donor bank between FUT and FUE.

I can't tell you how happy I am to hear this! It's is a real game changer...

Corvettester

NICE!!! how did you find this out...Dorin told you?! You are like Super Man Corv! lol Good stuff...how are you healing?!

Can I ask what your density is like in the donor area?

I really don't know. I've had docs quote me from 75-100 FU/cm2. So it's not insanely dense like some of these 120 FU/cm2 guys that I've seen on the HTN.

I will say this though: it's definitely denser in the donor area than it is in the frontal third, midsection and crown. It always has been too.

Corvettester

I have another 7-8k in the donor bank between FUT and FUE.

Dude, you are set for life man. :D Still, glad you are being frugal with that treasure chest of yours.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group