Awesome-7 Months after Dr. Gabel

Here are some pictures snapped at about the 7-month post-op mark. To recap, I had about 1,800 FUT grafts done by Dr. Steven Gabel in Hillsboro, Oregon on December 30 of 2010.

Before checking out the 7-month results, make sure you see my starting point threads (with pics) and previous check points along the way. Of particular noteworthiness are the gradual increase in general density and decrease of the scar's visibility.

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/158956-live-surgery-dr-gabel.html

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/160273-two-three-month-marks.html

Now that you're up to snuff, here are some new updates.

7-Month-Front1-1.jpg

7-Month-Front2-1.jpg

7-Month-Rear1-1.jpg

Notice below, the scar is still vaguely visible with short hair under bright light and at the right angle. Most of the time it's not visible, and it may gradually heal a bit more as well.

7-Month-Rear2-1.jpg

7-Month-Side1-1.jpg

7-Month-Side2-1.jpg

Soooooooo good!

Congratulations! Very refined, very natural.

This is what I call a home run! All the more exciting for me because I don't see enough home runs on blondes... I feel like we have the exact same hair characteristics, only mine is longer.

And to think that you're only 7 months out... wow!

Corvettester

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Dorin

1,696 FUT with Dr. Dorin on October 18, 2010.

1,305 FUT with Dr. Dorin on August 10, 2011.

565 FUE with Dr. Dorin on September 14, 2012.

Still got the little bald spot in the back, but it's a minor issue at this point. Another year or three, depending on how well the finasteride holds up, and I'll get another procedure done.

7-Month-Top.jpg

And it's still a lot better than 7 months ago...

DayBeforeHT1-1.jpg

DayBeforeHT2-1.jpg

And in 2008:

Thin.jpg

Also, since I'm currently deployed, I found a place in Japan that I visited in 2009 (2 years ago) and snapped a pic in the same place a few weeks ago. You can see the difference in my hairline here as well:

2009:

Sasebo-Gremlin-April2009-1.jpg

2011:

Sasebo-Gremlin-June2011-1.jpg

Finally, here are two crappy cell-phone pics I snapped (with the same cell phone) and then stuck together, just to directly contrast the post-op status with the 7-month status...

HT-Jan-July-Labeled-1.jpg

Super-happy, overall. If anyone is looking for great work and a natural look, Dr. Gabel is it. And thanks for the props Vette! One small step for blonds...

Edited by OtherSyde

Oh wow, I was looking at Vette's profile. (I need to make one for myself here on the forums as well, instead of just linking pics from Photobucket lol). Vette your hairline came out awesome... I think now that I've got the frontal-scalp region nailed down, my next prime targets will be my vertex and frontal hairline. I think I'll bring it forward maybe a half-inch or so, and fill in the temples a bit. I can't wait till my current HT fully matures right now though! Then I will further participate in the classic HT-Forums tradition of taking awkward pictures from strange, isometric angles while making weird, distorted facial expressions at the camera and posting them for everyone's analysis.

At first I took a lot of crap and snide ridicule over it because the military is such a macho utilitarian environment, not allowing much tolerance for "luxuries" like this, especially in men. Also, everyone had in mind the popular image of the cheesy-looking old-school "hair plugs" and the horrible Bosley debacle; most guys told me I'd been had, and that I'd just wasted my money.

Once everyone saw how well it was working (further backed up by the fact that I carried before and after pics on my smart phone for contrast), I had at least 4 or 5 guys come up and start asking details about it, how it worked, etc. I ended up emailing several of them detailed emails about FUE, FUT, pricing, time-frames for healing, info about the procedure itself, various before-and-after pics, all kinds of stuff. I probably created several new customers for the industry, if nothing else. Maybe changed some guys' lives at most.

Othersyde,

Thank you for keeping us updated. Your results look fantastic; I'm especially impressed with the post-operative scar. Congratulations!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

At first I took a lot of crap and snide ridicule over it because the military is such a macho utilitarian environment, not allowing much tolerance for "luxuries" like this, especially in men. Also, everyone had in mind the popular image of the cheesy-looking old-school "hair plugs" and the horrible Bosley debacle; most guys told me I'd been had, and that I'd just wasted my money.

Once everyone saw how well it was working (further backed up by the fact that I carried before and after pics on my smart phone for contrast), I had at least 4 or 5 guys come up and start asking details about it, how it worked, etc. I ended up emailing several of them detailed emails about FUE, FUT, pricing, time-frames for healing, info about the procedure itself, various before-and-after pics, all kinds of stuff. I probably created several new customers for the industry, if nothing else. Maybe changed some guys' lives at most.

That's what I'm saying!

Same with me. I told a few tuff guys about my procedure and they were all ears and have started their own HT journey.

It doesn't matter how macho an environment you're in. Once you start telling "the guys" they're bound to have more questions than jokes. Why? Because so many of us suffer from MPB!

Corvettester

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Dorin

1,696 FUT with Dr. Dorin on October 18, 2010.

1,305 FUT with Dr. Dorin on August 10, 2011.

565 FUE with Dr. Dorin on September 14, 2012.

OtherSyde,

Thanks for keeping us updated! I've followed your progress from the start and I'm thrilled to see that things are going to well for you!

Dr. Gabel does great work! I may eventually end up living in Portland and if I do, I'll definitely drop in and consult with him when I'm ready for HT #3.

I'm sure you've got lots of growth and maturity to come. Can't wait to see your final results!

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Looks GREAT.

Gabel is the man. I is in my top 3 list. And being a vet myself, you had mad testicular fortitude to go thru with it knowing all the crap you would take for it. Congrats.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Looks great man. Very natural result! Glad to hear the other guys stopped giving you flak. Thanks for your service, too.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

Awesome result. Totally natural and undetectable. Don't be in a hurry to address the tiny bald spot in your crown. A stroke of dermmatch should do the trick.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Dude

You rock. Not only are you serving with the troops, your also helping folks who are hair challenged. Totally cool.

Also, you now have awesome looking hair. And I agree with everyone on this page, Gabel keeps knocking the results out of the park.

Since your in the military, are you going to have to shave your noggin’?

Thanks for the props! And no, once you get out of boot camp it's generally a choice whether you want to shave your head or not. Army and Marines seem to do it more (probably for simplicity's sake), but we sailors like to have more fun. And hair is definitely fun :)

Dude

You rock. Not only are you serving with the troops, your also helping folks who are hair challenged. Totally cool.

Also, you now have awesome looking hair. And I agree with everyone on this page, Gabel keeps knocking the results out of the park.

Since your in the military, are you going to have to shave your noggin’?

I also agree with the rest of the thread. Very natural results! And I can't imagine that you would want to shave your head ever again! haha.

Can you talk a bit about your timeline for scheduling your HT? Particularly around your military services?

Thanks and congrats!

• 3 weeks later...
I also agree with the rest of the thread. Very natural results! And I can't imagine that you would want to shave your head ever again! haha.

Can you talk a bit about your timeline for scheduling your HT? Particularly around your military services?

Thanks and congrats!

Well scheduling was kind of a whirlwind; I really didn't expect to get it done for maybe 3 more months after my first consultation. However, since I was about to go on 2 weeks of leave in 3 weeks anyway, Dr. Gabel asked if there was any way I could just schedule it for about 3 weeks later, and then use my leave time to recover; I was thrilled, and had to unexpectedly pull together a bunch of finances from various sources, and had to run a last-minute "Special Request" (in the military, you have to run a special request for pretty much anything you do to your body these days, since it technically belongs to the U.S. Government; this includes tattoos, cosmetic stuff, etc.), and had to get it OK'd by my various superiors in my chain of command, who gave me plenty of funny looks that clearly stated they would be discussing it humorously in my absence later. But they approved it, which was all I cared about.

It took about a week, plus about 2 weeks to gather the funding in the form of about $3,000 saved cash plus a $4,000 loan (I had planned to just save up for most of it, but I saw the chance and jumped on it). This is a prime example of why it's good to have a half-decent credit score.

My experience was a bit unique; I went from dreaming about an HT and vaguely courting the distant possibility of getting one within a few months, to HAVING one completely done only 3 weeks later. I'd have never dreamed it that way. It wasn't an impulse buy, since I'd been researching this stuff for literally years, but it's not something small that most people would just jump into. It was pretty wild. And awesome, I might add. I imagine the total absence of regret or buyer's remorse either is another, unexpected great result!

I should add that, now that my hair's getting a little longer, it's easier to style and more natural-looking than I would have expected from transplanted hair; it looks good with the combed-straight-forward "Caesar" style, and the slightly coiffed comb-over for a more classy/classic look. It's dense enough to spike with gel and not look uber-thin, too, although the spikey-hair thing kind of went out of style when the Backstreet Boys and N'Sync fell off around a decade ago, and the last time I did that I was like 17 or 18. Still, it's always nice to know you could pull it off if you wanted to. :)

Edited by OtherSyde