conceal a scar with SMP?

In my opinion , the very best way to conceal donor scar is tattooing it.

I checked on some clinics that offer this , my conclusion is that I'll never ever do that to my entire scalp but it's somewhat amazing for strip scars.

Here are some pictures ;

I honestly think that it can be a solution for those who want to shave their head if they don't like the outcome of the transplant or for the ones where fue is not an option and likes buzz cut. What do you guys think?

mark-before-small.jpg.2a7967fb20beb22aa340e4b8ca933039.jpg

mark-after-small.jpg.8ed08d12a3a9cdaf00fe1229680eaa3e.jpg

warren-before-small.jpg.86cfe92ef4956e63a7ca0cf195f61b1c.jpg

warren-after-small.jpg.9b3c885bb1e01059c31b2970209b2c38.jpg

Isnt it?:)

I think (or I hope dyingly!) this SMP would be a great hope for those who want to keep their hair really close without a strip scar.

So ,the ones who want to shave their head with a ht scar, what do you guys think??

I've never looked into it properly but it impresses me every time i see it. What's the crack is it simply permanent tattoo ink?

I wonder if it would help hide scars under a blade 2 buzz cut so you can keep your hair short back and sides and long on top.

Bonkerstonker! :D

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1977

Update I'm now on 12200 Grafts, hair loss has been a thing of my past for years. Also I don't use minoxidil anymore I lost no hair coming off it. Reduced propecia to 1mg every other day.

My surgeons were

Dr Hasson x 4,

Dr Wong x 2

Norton x1

I started losing my hair at 19 in 1999

I started using propecia and minoxidil in 2000

Had 7 hair transplants over 12200 grafts by way of strip but

700 were Fue From Norton in uk

You know guys, it can really be a challenge to conceal a strip scar and I also agree with bonkers in that the hair would still need to be at a number 2 or higher, depending on the patient.

Sometimes ink can change shade or even color over long periods but I know nothing about the type of ink they are using.

Whatever helps the appearance is a plus.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

It looks good. It seems to be catching on. Of course, Dr. Rassman is now offering it but when I spoke with Dr. Paul Shapiro at SMG this week he also mentioned some local places he thought was doing some great scar camouflaging. To be honest, it's not my favorite look with the shaved head but it could be an effective concealer with grown out transplanted hair.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

For shaved head strip scars i think it would help alot but when hair starts to grow the missing hair will most def still be a problem..i am looking into his hair clinic for treatment on fue scarring,i think smp is best suited to fue scarring,what do people think?

I heard it's very expensive for what it is you'd be looking at 10000 dollors for a nw6 full head filling. That is more expensive than a kat van dutch tattoo lol they're clearly taking advantage of the hairloss sufferers situation as it would not cost anywhere near that to do it's just 1 tattoo artists time in labour which should be around 40 dollors a hour and i'd imagine 30 dollors of ink.

Update I'm now on 12200 Grafts, hair loss has been a thing of my past for years. Also I don't use minoxidil anymore I lost no hair coming off it. Reduced propecia to 1mg every other day.

My surgeons were

Dr Hasson x 4,

Dr Wong x 2

Norton x1

I'm very intrigued by SMP. Dr. Rassman really thrust it into the mainstream but, for some reason, there is still a shortage of patients coming forward to share their results directly. I would really love to see some people who have had this done create a Hair Restoration Website or photo albums and share their experience.

In particular, I would like to see some results that are a few years old in order to determine if there is any fading, color changing or if the "follicles" become less defined over time.

I also still can't wrap my head around what happens when you've gone gray and you have a dark line of "hair" around your head. Will you be forced to continue to dye your hair to match it?

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

David,

I totally agree wih you! I also really like to see some results in this forum. I honestly think that it's very very risky to do it to NW6 head. Imagine if someone notices that you have "tattoo" on your scalp! It's not like a hairpiece, if someone notices that you wear one you can always get rid of it but tattoo is always there! I myself cannot live with that paranoia.

Also , the companies that provide this are suggesting to use your hair as low as possible in scar cover cases. In this method concealing works backwards , less hair is more covering!

David,

I totally agree wih you! I also really like to see some results in this forum.

Although you may have already seen these:

SMP Result 1

SMP Result 2

SMP Result 3

NHI SMP Gallery

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Wow! I had no idea that these tattoo sessions cost that much to conceal strip scars. That's crazy.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Yeah, overpriced for sure. They aren't surgical procedures nor should they be priced as such.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Micky takers with the price. I've not seen price for a scar but that's what it is for a nw6. Just to note I also heard when they do your scar it's not just the actual scar area they blend in a good few inches above and below the scar or sometimes the hole back of your head.

The more I look into this the more I dislike.

My surgeons were

Dr Hasson x 4,

Dr Wong x 2

Norton x1

I've never looked into it properly but it impresses me every time i see it. What's the crack is it simply permanent tattoo ink?

I wonder if it would help hide scars under a blade 2 buzz cut so you can keep your hair short back and sides and long on top.

Hey bonker

I know you've had your issues with donor shockloss, and I'm sure it will work out, however, I'm just wondering if you did any scalp stretching exercises before your surgery? I don't know if that helps, but it seems like it would.

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

The back of my head is extremely elastic Dr Hasson said i could have had 8000 grafts in that session easy. It's so slack you can still see it's baggy now after removing 5300 it looks like a fat mans stomach when hair cut short.

The reason being i've spent most of my life laying down after training for a hour while watching tv with my hand supporting the back of my head don't ask me why i just have had a habit of doing that and have done that since i first started fighting when i was 7, also done 200 sit ups a day for ten years. In theroy i've been doing scalp exersices most of my life without knowing.

Edited by bonkerstonker

My surgeons were

Dr Hasson x 4,

Dr Wong x 2

Norton x1

Not asked him pal it's just one of them things when you get hit hard you just ride it out and it takes as long as it takes really.

My surgeons were

Dr Hasson x 4,

Dr Wong x 2

Norton x1

Thanks pal it's all about positive mental attitude!

My surgeons were

Dr Hasson x 4,

Dr Wong x 2

Norton x1

• 1 year later...

Has anyone Used the HIS micro hair tattoo in the UK for scar camouflage only, not full scalp.

I've just had a consultation there and have been quoted ?1500 + vat for plug and strip scars all over the back of my head. This seems very expensive for about 5 hrs tattooing max.

Has anyone had scars only tattoed there? I am very interested in getting it done

• 2 months later...

Hi All,

I'm a new member to the Hair Restoration Network and this topic is exactly what I'm most interested in. I've looked into the tattooing procedure to conceal my HT scar, too. I'm concerned, as well, with the possibility of the scar being concealed if I wish to grow my hair out longer than say a #2 buzz. The results look great on all of the pictures I've seen, but I do have concerns like many of you. One of them is as we get older and grayer, the ink stays the same color, then what?

I've not been back to any physician since my last HT in 2006. As I've stated in my profile, both doctors have since passed away. I'm really distraught on what my next step should be and with whom. My HT didn't turn out like I envisioned. I've had 4 of them with a total of around 6500 transplants by way of the strip method. I am on the Norwood chart a 5 or 5A. I tell myself that I'm done with HT and keep hoping something magical will come out of the industry to help all of us.

At this point, I would settle for what I have (which isn't great by any stretch), but with a buzz cut, I don't think I would care. I just want to conceal my scar, but want to make the best choice like all of us in this situation. So, I'll be watching this site and will hope to find out what others know. If I hear or see anything, I'll be posting it, too.

Thanks everyone and Happy New Year!