Do hair transplants usually result in a see-through appearance?

Provided you are fortunate enough to get a thick looking result, then your results will not look see-through, TEMPORARILY. 1) if your hair transplanted hairs begin to fall out in the latter yrs then it will look see-through, 2) if your native hairs takes its genetic course and begins to fall out then your transplanted hairs will look see-through. I'm an example of both.

Once you get a HT be prepared to chase your hairloss with more hair transplants. This is why future "planning" before your first procedure with your surgeon is so darn important. Approach your first hairtransplant as if you were going to cover your entire top with future hair transplants.

Provided you are fortunate enough to get a thick looking result, then your results will not look see-through, TEMPORARILY. 1) if your hair transplanted hairs begin to fall out in the latter yrs then it will look see-through, 2) if your native hairs takes its genetic course and begins to fall out then your transplanted hairs will look see-through. I'm an example of both.

Once you get a HT be prepared to chase your hairloss with more hair transplants. This is why future "planning" before your first procedure with your surgeon is so darn important. Approach your first hairtransplant as if you were going to cover your entire top with future hair transplants.

I thought transplanted hairs are permanent?

Norwood,

I think the best way to describe the post-operative density/thickness of a quality hair transplant (in general) is to simply paraphrase the goal of surgical hair restoration: "to create the illusion of density." As much as most hair loss sufferers would like it, hair transplant surgeons, for a variety of reasons (restricted donor areas, compromised blood supply, graft survival rates, etc.), simply cannot restore balding scalp to the pre-loss density.

The good news, is that in most cases, this isn't necessary. Due to advances in mega-sessions, graft refinement techniques, dense packing, slit techniques, etc., modern hair transplants are able to recreate the illusion of density to a very satisfactory and realistic level (in my opinion), and I think the thousands of results shared on the discussion forums is proof of that!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

I am not a fan of the term "illusion of density" but I gues it is what it is.

I thing a transplant is an improvement on whatever a person had when done correctly. I also think that it will look natural, I just don't think a person will look like the have a mop on their head.

If you are real bald, I think the best that you can hope for is to look "not bald"

Ask far as the "strong lighting"....I don't think most transplants hold up to the full head of hair look under strong lighting...but I do think they probably hold up the "not bald" look.

Full disclosurer, I have never seen a transplant in person (that I know of)....I really would like to do so.

Edited by Spanker

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

I am not a fan of the term "illusion of density" but I gues it is what it is. I thing a transplant is an improvement on whatever a person had when done correctly.

Indeed. One thing you need to keep in mind is that there are many men with thinning hair who still look reasonably good because their remaining native hair (although decreased in quantity and/or quality) is still providing an "illusion of density." There's nothing inherently wrong or bad with creating that same result through transplantation, as long as it's done with care to make the result appear as natural as possible.

This is so spooky - I just logged on to ask exactly this question, and it was top of the "New Posts" .....

I went to Oceanworld today, and in a load of the photos where the light is shining directly onto my head - it goes pretty see through - so was coming to ask did anyone else have the same problem :)

My Hairloss Website

HT#1 - Dr Pathomvanich - 2900 Grafts

HT#2 - Dr Pathomvanich - 1500 Grafts

I don't really like the phrase 'illusion of density' either. Never have. It's a neat phrase that seems to describe something but which really doesn't. Perhaps 'strategic coverage' is more appropriate but I doubt if it'll catch on. I might throw it into discussion from now on unless I think of something better.

I've noticed that hair can sometimes look a bit see-through even on children. It depends on the lighting, hair characteristics and hair length/style. I would imagine that most transplant patients primarily want to cover empty space on their scalp. Even dropping a couple of stages on the Norwood scale will be a gratifying result for many guys. In a way there is 'good' bald and bad bald. Sometimes giving yourself a more aesthetically pleasing pattern of recession can be enough.

Based on how I viewed hair before I became concerned with my own, and on how I've noticed other people view hair through their comments (or lack of them*), I don't think density is nearly as important as a good hairline shape (even if it's somewhat receded and mature) and the filling of obviously balding areas. Not that maximum density shouldn't be a person's goal when achievable as the result will of course be better.

*I have noticed women cooing over how attractive a guy is and not seeming to notice when they have less than perfect density, even when they were the type of women to fixate on such flaws. I simply don't think the average person notices, and to the general public balding means bald spots.

We hairloss forum regulars and hairloss sufferers are some of the most hair-critical people around! Can anyone disagree with that?

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Well said mattj!

It is true, once you become fixated on your own hair loss and the topic as a whole your perception changes. You begin to analyse others hair situations and compare this to your own. Many of my close friends who still sport full heads of hair and non-recessive hairlines still under certain lighting conditions have "see through" moments, you have to remember the general public are not educated on this subject and without sounding condescending they are blind to different stages of hair loss. They see a bald spot...then you are bald, they see slightly see through hair with a stable hairline then most likely wouldn't notice or care.

I am a musician, so when I hear a song I will pull it to pieces and analyse the entire song from start to finish, when all I wished was just to listen to the song for what it was.

The general public are just listening to the song and enjoying it! The same principal applies, I believe when a good HT is performed the patient is the musician wearing the song and the general public just enjoy it for what it is.

Unless you plan on walking around with a fluro light hanging over your head and wearing a T-Shirt stating "Guess who got a HT" with an arrow pointing up you should be fine.

I too do not like the term "illusion of density" every time I hear this I imagine David Copperfield transforming a bald individual into Chewbacca.

Cheers.

"The road to success is always under construction"

:cool: I represent Dr Rahal and the associated clinic as a paid patient advisor.

I am also here to assist fellow Australian/NZ Hair Loss sufferers both on and off the forum.

Hair Transplant Surgery:

June 3rd 2011

2800 Grafts to frontal 1/3

By Dr Rahal in Ottawa, Canada

Current Hair Loss Arsenal:

Dutas .5mg every day 1.5 years and Proscar 5mg (Cut into 1/4): x1 Daily 10 years

Hair-A-Gain Generic Minox: x2 Daily 13 years

(Applied wet in mornings)

Other Random products put to use during my hair loss battle (not in use):

Spiro Cream 5mg

Minox 15%

Dr Proctor's Nano Shampoo

Various Herbal supplements

Toppik/ Nanogen

Saw Palmetto

Provillus - LOL

Nanogen Shampoo

Laser Treatments (Epic Fail)

10 long years of HT and general HL research.:cool:

*I am not a medical professional, I only offer my own advice from personal experiences and years of detailed research*

Just feel like chipping in! I myself do not like illusion of density but i will take that any day over a bald patch :) I am realistic with my expectations, i just want to achieve enough density to apply toppik. I think thats a damn realistic expectation!

View my hair loss website. Surgery done by Doc Pathomvanich from Bangkok http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1730

i understand that transplants may result in a see through look if the balding is extensive with limited grafts. But if a person has limited to mild balding and great donor characteristics, isn't it realistic to expect that the person will have a convincing full head of hair (even though it isnt at pre-balding densities) after the transplant? I still don't have any real loss and have what most would call a "full head" of hair thanks to propecia. But I have great donor characteristics (my donor gets EXTREMELY thick if grown out). I'm just trying to analyze if I should begin saving for a HT now in 10 years when I'm around 32 if I were to lose and whether or not I'd be happy with the results since I'd only want to do it if the results are convincing.

NorwoodScale,

How are you mate?

Your story reminds me much of my own, although I am older we may share similar loss.

It is true having great characteristics will increase the number of grafts thus aiding a more convincing/denser head of hair post transplant. I really believe posters on here are swept up in the whole "see through" debacle; all hair under certain lighting will come across see though no matter neither the density nor the fact if a transplant has been placed. My donor region in all honesty is extremely dense, if you were to part the hair slightly or add slight amounts of product for example and place see me outside there would still be elements of "see throughness" (I realise that is not a word Oxford would approve) In regular lighting conditions transplanted hair seems to hold up, I have met with many Australian patients...all of which had undetectable work.

Wb280 said it best, if you can reach enough density to satisfy yourself and add some concealer for a slight top up of density, well then I would say mission accomplished.

I would say from years of research, if your surgery is performed under the supervision of a top clinic the result will most likely end up convincing. To the general public it will be convincing, it just seems as though people are trying to convince themselves. In no way am I attempting to deter your expectations, I too want a similar outcome but remain a realist long term.

Cheers,

"The road to success is always under construction"

:cool: I represent Dr Rahal and the associated clinic as a paid patient advisor.

I am also here to assist fellow Australian/NZ Hair Loss sufferers both on and off the forum.

Hair Transplant Surgery:

June 3rd 2011

2800 Grafts to frontal 1/3

By Dr Rahal in Ottawa, Canada

Current Hair Loss Arsenal:

Dutas .5mg every day 1.5 years and Proscar 5mg (Cut into 1/4): x1 Daily 10 years

Hair-A-Gain Generic Minox: x2 Daily 13 years

(Applied wet in mornings)

Other Random products put to use during my hair loss battle (not in use):

Spiro Cream 5mg

Minox 15%

Dr Proctor's Nano Shampoo

Various Herbal supplements

Toppik/ Nanogen

Saw Palmetto

Provillus - LOL

Nanogen Shampoo

Laser Treatments (Epic Fail)

10 long years of HT and general HL research.:cool:

*I am not a medical professional, I only offer my own advice from personal experiences and years of detailed research*

Honestly, we are constantly cautioned that HT only brings an illusion of density but i respectfully disagree. I have seen countless examples in this forum whereby the patient looks like he is NOT even balding. A few factors like scap laxity, donor characteristics, native hair characteristics all play a part. However, logically speaking, obviously when u r a NW 6, its tough but i have really seen NW3s get back to pre bald status.

View my hair loss website. Surgery done by Doc Pathomvanich from Bangkok http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1730

Its all about how much donor you have, well you see, doctors need to distribute the grafts evenly along the scalp. not dense an area over another to not look freak. any denisty below 50fu/cm2, you have to expect to see thru i can say. But why to care? its better than being bald anyways. Thanks to concealers which need as little as 20fu/cm2 to work well with it. it would make you a 100fu/cm2...well if ladies using all this make ups and stuff. For a man just keep a little budget for some nanogen or toppik. Also about seeing theu the scalp that depends upon the hairstyle you wear. find a hairstyle that could cover up the thinning...thats my advice.

Plug removal + Strip scar revision - Dr. Ali Karadeniz (AEK)- May 23, 2015

Plug removal + 250 FUE temple points- Dr. Hakan Doganay (AHD)- July 3, 2013

Scar Tricopigmentation- Dr. Koray Erdogan (ASMED)- May 3, 2013

2500 FUT (Hairline Repair)- Dr. Rahal- July 26, 2011

My Hair Treatments:

1- Alpecin Double Effect Shampoo (Daily)

2- Regaine Solution Minoxidil 5% (2 ml once a day)

3- GNC Ultra NourishHair™ (Once a day)

4- GNC Herbal Plus Standardized Saw Palmetto (Once a day)

My Rahal HT thread http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/164456-2500-fut-dr-rahal-hairline-repair.html[/size]

Hariri, yup i agree with that. For me, i just hope to regain half of what used to be existent, i.e 50fu or slightly less. I have no issues with see through as i know its supposed to be. I just want enough density to pull off a concealer, and speaking of which, thank god for concealers!

Well said mattj!

It is true, once you become fixated on your own hair loss and the topic as a whole your perception changes. You begin to analyse others hair situations and compare this to your own. Many of my close friends who still sport full heads of hair and non-recessive hairlines still under certain lighting conditions have "see through" moments, you have to remember the general public are not educated on this subject and without sounding condescending they are blind to different stages of hair loss. They see a bald spot...then you are bald, they see slightly see through hair with a stable hairline then most likely wouldn't notice or care.

I am a musician, so when I hear a song I will pull it to pieces and analyse the entire song from start to finish, when all I wished was just to listen to the song for what it was.

The general public are just listening to the song and enjoying it! The same principal applies, I believe when a good HT is performed the patient is the musician wearing the song and the general public just enjoy it for what it is.

Unless you plan on walking around with a fluro light hanging over your head and wearing a T-Shirt stating "Guess who got a HT" with an arrow pointing up you should be fine.

I too do not like the term "illusion of density" every time I hear this I imagine David Copperfield transforming a bald individual into Chewbacca.

Cheers.

agreed 100%...i never analyzed anyone elses hair until i started losing my own. now i notice a huge number of guys are expereincing hairloss to some extent...eye opening experience.

don't let the "illusion of density" thing scare you off. bottom line, a good doc will deliver a huge cosmetic improvement that the average person will think looks great probably 9 times out of 10.

That's always been my thought. My hairline (and to a lesser extent, my vertex) are so thin now that I already have just the illusion of density, so anything that adds to that should be a positive -- even if it's just technically a better "illusion."