Need to find a good cheap doctor.

I really love this forum. I have learned a lot from here in the past 2 years. I think I'm a NW4 right now and I think it's finally time for me to do a HT.

Do you guys know any good doctors in North Carolina besides Cooley and Koher. I know Cooley is excelent and Koher is pretty good too. They both quoted me 10k for 2500 grafts. But me being a college student, are their any doctors around here that are cheaper and still good. Price is a major factor for me but I know a good doctor is also very important.

I also talked to some other company's as well. I was quoted $5,200 from NuHart in Atlanta for 2500 grafts. But maybe I should stay away from them sence people on here are not saying good things about them. I also found Marquu in Fort Lauferdale, Fl who apparently charges only $2 a graft. Does anyone know anything about this company, wethere their good or not? I called the lady of Marquu and she said that the $2 thing is not something their doing anymore but will do it for me. $2 a graft is extremely cheap and is hard for me to resist.

Honestly though me being from Pakistan, I might just get a HT from Humayun sense he's the cheapest and one of the best. But then again I don't feel like waiting 2 years to go back. I want a HT soon.

I really love this forum. I have learned a lot from here in the past 2 years. I think I'm a NW4 right now and I think it's finally time for me to do a HT.

Do you guys know any good doctors in North Carolina besides Cooley and Koher. I know Cooley is excelent and Koher is pretty good too. They both quoted me 10k for 2500 grafts. But me being a college student, are their any doctors around here that are cheaper and still good. Price is a major factor for me but I know a good doctor is also very important.

I also talked to some other company's as well. I was quoted $5,200 from NuHart in Atlanta for 2500 grafts. But maybe I should stay away from them sence people on here are not saying good things about them. I also found Marquu in Fort Lauferdale, Fl who apparently charges only $2 a graft. Does anyone know anything about this company, wethere their good or not? I called the lady of Marquu and she said that the $2 thing is not something their doing anymore but will do it for me. $2 a graft is extremely cheap and is hard for me to resist.

Honestly though me being from Pakistan, I might just get a HT from Humayun sense he's the cheapest and one of the best. But then again I don't feel like waiting 2 years to go back. I want a HT soon.

You absolutely must go to the person and clinic that will deliver you the best possible result. You are both young and experiencing heavy MPB -- you have little to no room for error. Research well, choose wisely, let cost not be a factor until you have exhausted every other metric.

Are you on propecia/proscar/fin?

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

Well I do somewhat agree with you dakota3 but this doesn't always have to be the case. I'm sure you can still find a good doc at a cheap price. Just look at Humayun for example. Either way I am getting a loan but of course I still have to watch my budget.

Thanatopsis, I admit I am not taking any drugs right now. I just took this liquid gel called hairback 2000 for 3 months but seemed like it didn't really help me much. Here's there website.

http://www.hairbacknow.com/hair.htm

I am now only gonna take drugs which are proven to work. I am planning now on starting on

Proscar 1/4 pill everyday,

Rogaine Foam 5%

Nizoral 2%

Maybe some vitamins

Hopefully these will help.

I would contact the two clinics you listed in North Carolina and explain to them you are a student and on a budget. After that has been established, tell them you have a flexible schedule and can fill a canceled appointment when it becomes available especially if you live close they will really appreciate that! Also tell them they can use your pics pre-op/post-op on the internet and in their catalog of pictures at the clinic.

If you offer those things hopefully you'll be able to get them down to $3(maybe less) per graft, or $7500 for the surgery. And if you don't have a flexible schedule, or are apprehensive about using pics on the net....Make it happen anyways as if this is important to you then don't let those be obstacles, especially if the alternative is Nuhart.

Abid,

It's good to hear you will be starting the most effective and truly proven treatments -- this will be a huge boon for you!

That said, given your age and loss, I imagine most any HT doc would want if not require you to be on finasteride for at least 6months. I say this because it may very well be the most optimal path for you *and* it could give you ample time to save up enough $ to make cost a less important variable for you!

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

Abid, please do not let cost be the factor. You have limited availability in terms of your donor, you are young and probably will probably lose more hair, so you don't want to mess with that limited availability. If you go the cheap route, in the long run you will be paying even more to fix it. HTs are not something to be decided upon lightly. When you see some of the people that have gone the cheap route, it can be unsightly, embarassing, and will make you even more self-conscious than you are now.

Why not wait until you have the funds available?

Please be patient. Don't take the risk, use a coalition doc when the time is right for you.

My initial HT thread:

done and done!! Check it out...

Abid:

You can't go wrong with dr. Cooley. Hey he just won an award for the best doctor by his peers. You are lucky to live in the same city. I am from Montreal and i spend an extra 1K for air fare to book an HT with him, when i could have just book with some doctors locally. Trust me, i can think of many things i could have done with this extra grand, but a HT is too important to leave it to anybody.

What is a few thousand dollars difference when a bad HT can ruin your life or low growth HT means that your grafts are lost forever.

Take your time to save and get a second job. A few thousands $ can be saved quickly when you know your priority.

I am not a doctor. The opinions and comments are of my own.

HT with Dr. Cooley on Nov 20, 2008

2097 grafts, 3957 hairs

Proscar, 1.25 mg daily, skip the 5th day, started Nov 2007

My Hair Loss Blog - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Hey thanks a lot guys. Really appreciate the responses. You guys all made some good points I liked.

The thing about how I can let them use my pics on the net and the thing w/the filling up their canceled appointments, etc can help in negotiating a price. Also, I didn't know I could have limited donor area. I thought that the hair they remove from the donor area would regrow but I guess not. I do kinda want to go the cheap route but you guys are also right, it's risky. I can understand that.

Perhaps I could wait a little longer. Maybe until December. I just got a 2nd job recently and now makin $1500 a month. Until then I hope the proscar, rogain 5% and nizoral 2% will help. I don't want to wait too long though cause once I get the HT, I'll still have to wait for the hair to regrow. 6 months is a long time for reults but sence my hair grows really fast maybe I'll get lucky and see results in even 4 months.

Hey do you guys also know by chance if getting a loan from capital one or care credit is hard? I heard it's easier to get a healthcare loan compared to an auto loan, is this true? I might need $5000. My credit score is a 660 and I'm makin 1500 a month. I don't want an APR more then 14%.

Abid,

From your registration date, it seems you've been around for some time. It's good to see you back on the forum doing more research.

I'm not familiar with Dr. Koher, but Dr. Cooley is first-rate.

In my opinion, narrow your choices down to a few world class surgeons based on consistent results and then consider cost last.

Cost is certainly very important to consider, but I'd advise not to select a physician based on cost alone.

Keep up the research, consult with a few doctors, and work with them to establish a long term hair restoration plan.

I'm also glad that you will be starting Propecia and Rogaine to help control your loss.

Best wishes,

Bill

The best thing you can do now is save, save, and save. Reasonable loans are almost impossible to get nowadays. I was in your situation. I ended up splitting the cost with my parents (just my mother actually) and will be paying them back when I'm done with school and begin working full-time. Trust me, it was not an easy thing to do to tell your parents you need dough for "cosmetic" surgery but it was my only option.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

As these guys said, stay on the medication religiously then keep this in mind, we are in a very bad economic downturn and HT Dr.'s are definitely feeling it. Talk to a few surgeons you like, explain your situation and negotiate the fee, I am sure you'll find a much better deal, they have to keep their doors open, some offer free financing, etc...

Regarding a cheaper alternative, if you're willing to drive to Birmingham, Alabama, check out Latham's Hair Clinic. They did my surgery back in 1992; 300 grafts for $3500. I called during my research and today they offer a "large" session of 800 grafts for $5600.

These grafts, according to their consultant, are made up of hairs as they naturally grow, whether 1, 2, 3 or 4 hairs per graft. They don't use microscopes so this saves on cost. The doctor works with a staff of two technicians and the large session can be done in three to four hours. This patented process is called 'Remove the bald".

Then, when you are 40 years old and your hair has receded to the point where your hairline is made up of four hair grafts, you might still be in the North Carolina area if you're lucky, and then Dr. Cooley is expert at removing these grafts you had back when you were a student.

Another benefit of having a procedure with them is you'll never have to ask your barber about your transplant, as he'll bring it up for you. Get used to hearing, as soon as you set down, "How long have you had your hair transplant?"

So, unless this is appealing my advice remains the same. Start trying to do some savings, and maybe wait until you graduate and are gainfully employed.

Don't do like I did, and take a job right out of college where you can wear a hat. Live with your thinning and get the best job you can, knowing that if you can save $300 or so a month you can get a first-rate ht in a couple of three years. I know it's tough being thinning at 22 or 23, but it'll still be tough when you're 27. And, it's much, much worse to have a poor looking transplant than to have natural thinning hair.

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week

Dont look for Cheap prices because you will get a Cheap HT! You wouldnt want a Heart Transplant with a cheap surgeon?

I would recommend, doing research on TOP quality doctors-- get TOP 10 list. From that most of those will be good quality, then go down the list and find out their prices and pick one that fits your budget-- BUT get quality first!

Also, many clinics offer specials, cancelation fill in rates, and special financing--some even 0% financing. Check out all financing options.

SMOOTHY

Dr. Shapiro

Propecia/Rogaine xtra

MSM/Saw Palmetto/Zinc/B6

Zrii 3 oz a day

I understnad the things you guys are saying.

I know I really want a cheap doctor right now to get the job done but it will turn out bad in the long run. I will just wait until I can afford Dr.Cooley. I got a quote from Ailene (his head assistant) for 2500 grafts for 10k. I tried to talk her into doing something insead for 5k and she said they can do 1500 grafts for $5800 but that's as long as I go by their schedule and with no financing. Even though that sounds ok, I feel like I really do need 2500 grafts. I think I'm just gonna end up saving up money so I can go to Dr.Cooley for 2500 grafts even though I soo badly want one now icon_frown.gif. For now, I will just have to see how my medications will work.

I never knew about nanogen and it seems pretty cool. However, I'm scared to forget to use it one day and my hair looks all bald again one day randomly.

I just can't believe the amount of difference in hair transplant doctors. I thought they all had the proper education and could do them well. I'm really surprised and it sucks that it has to be this way. Why can't they just be like normal doctors who could all do their job well. icon_confused.gif

you might want to think about going international.... prices can be significantly less than in west, but the quality can defintitely be the same with the right dr. I had an excellent HT done in Thailand as I am currently living in asia... you can also get a pretty amazing vaction out of the experience as well.

• 3 months later...

Hi Abid

I see you are looking for cheap hair surgery and a good job, the only person that i can sugest is Dr Humayun in Pakistan he did me 2475 grafts for a good price, i just had a A1 job done in Jan 2009 and would recommend him anyday!

Originally posted by Abid:

I understnad the things you guys are saying.

I know I really want a cheap doctor right now to get the job done but it will turn out bad in the long run. I will just wait until I can afford Dr.Cooley. I got a quote from Ailene (his head assistant) for 2500 grafts for 10k. I tried to talk her into doing something insead for 5k and she said they can do 1500 grafts for $5800 but that's as long as I go by their schedule and with no financing. Even though that sounds ok, I feel like I really do need 2500 grafts. I think I'm just gonna end up saving up money so I can go to Dr.Cooley for 2500 grafts even though I soo badly want one now icon_frown.gif. For now, I will just have to see how my medications will work.

I never knew about nanogen and it seems pretty cool. However, I'm scared to forget to use it one day and my hair looks all bald again one day randomly.

I just can't believe the amount of difference in hair transplant doctors. I thought they all had the proper education and could do them well. I'm really surprised and it sucks that it has to be this way. Why can't they just be like normal doctors who could all do their job well. icon_confused.gif

1600 grafts FUT Mr May (UK) Sept 1996

https://www.wimpoleclinic.com'>https://www.wimpoleclinic.com

1600 grafts FUT Mr May (UK) February 1998

https://www.wimpoleclinic.com

2475 grafts FUT Dr Mohammed Humayun Mohmand (Pakistan)

27th January 2009

http://www.hti.com.pk

3550 Total Grafts (3000 rear donor area & 400 from beard and 150 breast area) FUE & PRP Treatment with Dr Emrah Cinik (ISHRS), Istanbul, Turkey. 10th October 2017

http://www.emrahcinik.com/

My Blog & Hair loss website story:

https://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1123

This is a good thread.

A couple of things come to mind. First, at 22, beware of trying to keep your hairline as low as all of your 22 year old friends by way of a transplant. When you are an old 44 year old like me, you will look goofy with a 22 year old's anterior hairline. So whomever you go with, plan for the future.

That brings the second point up. If you are 22 and are thinning all over, and have a family history of significant hairloss, try medicine for at least a year...whether or not you do a transplant or not, and preferably prior to deciding on a transplant. I have seen lots of men who had thin hair all over at a young age, then had a couple of thousand grafts placed "all over" and in a few years, all they had was the grafts...which were too thin to look good. Trying to do too much scalp with too little hair is a recipe for unhappiness.

My advice, and its free, so take it for what its worth is try medicine, and if you do surgery, "fix" one area(such as a conservative frontal hairline) and save your donor hair for the future. You may need it.

Dr. Lindsey McLean, VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Abid,

You really should do more research. Look through the threads and look at some of the folks on here who have had a bad HT. You think that you feel insecure about your hair now? A bad HT can be devistating and has been for some here. To me, the most important thing was the quality of the Dr. I understand financial constraints but take the advise of the people on this site, wait until you can afford it. Right now there is a great exchange rate in Canada. Dr Rahals office offers a $1000 reduction for travel expenses and that coupled with the exchange rate in Canada make Dr Rahals HTs very affordable. You should call them, you may be pleasantly suprised.

Do not let money or distance get between you and a good HT doctor, wait if you have to or you will regret for the rest of your life !!

read this forum, many people have made this mistake please do not be another victim of Bucthers!!

Good Luck, but seriously if you want good do try Dr Humayum Mohmand in pakistan, you will pay about $1-$2 per graft

Originally posted by Abid:

1600 grafts FUT Mr May (UK) Sept 1996

https://www.wimpoleclinic.com'>https://www.wimpoleclinic.com

1600 grafts FUT Mr May (UK) February 1998

https://www.wimpoleclinic.com

2475 grafts FUT Dr Mohammed Humayun Mohmand (Pakistan)

27th January 2009

http://www.hti.com.pk

3550 Total Grafts (3000 rear donor area & 400 from beard and 150 breast area) FUE & PRP Treatment with Dr Emrah Cinik (ISHRS), Istanbul, Turkey. 10th October 2017

http://www.emrahcinik.com/

My Blog & Hair loss website story:

https://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1123

• 1 year later...