11 month update: Dr. Hasson 10/19/2006 - 3701 Grafts

GP-

From my prospective.................neither was that painful in general. In comparing the two, I did have more pain with the first HT but I believe that was due to poorer quality of work............especially the donor area which really hurt the first night. Not bashing my first Doc as he was very genuine and I liked him, but he was still using the pins for incisions, not directionally placing grafts, session size max around 1200 grafts...etc. For HT#2, with Dr. Wong, it was a walk in the park..........really. A few pin pricks numbing the donor, same with the recipient site.........no pain the first night or any other.

I'll be anxious to hear about Master Bill's experiences (since he's had 3, ya know!!).

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bill,

Ya I guess I don't know what I was thinking you are still very early in the growth cycle--any signs at all of the new stuff??

Damn, once that new stuff begins to grow and fill in we'll have to add one more name for you--Bushero!

NN

Dr.Cole,1989. ??graftcount

Dr. Ron Shapiro. Aug., 2007

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

Bill and HB,

I guess I should of clarified my question. I think Bill nailed it on the head. I was actually wondering about the emotional rather than physical pain of it all. I didn't realize "the wait" was going to be so bad. I actually had no idea that I would regress before I saw any new developments. I guess what I'm asking, "Does the wait get easier to deal with after your second or third HT?"

I'm thinking it does.

0.5 mg Avodart daily since 6/19/06

1950 grafts with Dr. Hasson in the front line 6/19/06.

Nervous,

No signs of new growth yet...with the exception of some of the head pimples I've been getting...which is always a good sign...and some extended itchiness that has come back a little...another sign of the little guys brewing. But 2 months is too early to see any growth for most people. IF my hairs start to grow around the same time as the last two, I'd expect in about 2-4 more weeks to see some slight evidence of growth and feel pretty good between month 4 and 5. But that's only if my third HT repeats like the second.

Growplease,

"Does the wait get easier to deal with after your second or third HT?"

Yes, the wait gets much easier IMO, however, it took until the third HT for me to be comfortable with it. I think that's partially because I chose a different doc for every surgery and though I knew everything grew out that was transplanted after the first one, when I saw myself regress again with the second HT, I was worried all over again because it was a different doc. But now that I've been through it 2 times, emotionally, it seems much easier. sure, I still want those little babies to start to grow already...but knowing what I know and feeling more comfortable, I know I'm in a good place for 2 months. I mean...after all....look at Bushy's second month post op photos from his second HT. His hair looked horrible...and NOW look at it. It's all if not more than I could hope for for myself. Seeing other people go through the same thing you are should give you comfort, and these first few months will feel more like a bad dream icon_wink.gif.

Bill

My bad, Nervous...missed your point completely....

As for the emotional part...............2nd was definitely easier than the 1st for me. I suppose this was primarily due my prior experience......knowing the new hair was going to fall out....knowing there may be shock loss......knowing it would take several months before I really saw anything.........etc. There was definitely some assurance there having been through it before. Part of my ease with HT#2 was knowing Dr. Wong had an excellent reputation. I knew I was in the best of hands........HT#2 was better all the way around.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

oh crap, I didn't even think about freaking out b/c of changing Docs. That would trip me out too. Well, its good to know that it gets easier with each HT. Thanks guys.

0.5 mg Avodart daily since 6/19/06

1950 grafts with Dr. Hasson in the front line 6/19/06.

Bill, congrats on a clean recovery so far. Another month or two and the true results will start showing. Thanks for the updates.

By the way, the second was a bit more difficult for me emotionally in one regard: shock loss. The first time around I had none (there was nothing to lose icon_mad.gif ), but seeing that mess of a head at the two-month mark was kind of disconcerting. Needless to say, that has more than been made up for by now!!! icon_cool.gif

My blog.

HT1: 4063 grafts by Dr. Hasson, 12/9/03

HT2: 3537 grafts by Dr. Hasson, 5/15/06

Total grafts: 7,600

Originally posted by Bill:

.with the exception of some of the head pimples I've been getting...which is always a good sign...and some extended itchiness

Bill

Bill:

Is there anything you can do for the pimples and itchiness? I have alot (3months yesterday) and some ingrown hairs on the perimeter where the hair piece used to be..hair is growing out like a wire brush!

Happy growing..and thanks for your contributions.

Glock08

My Hair Loss Weblog

Dr. True 9/22/06

4326 grafts

2129 1's

2168 2's

6545 Total Hairs

Wow...thanks guys for all the comments....allow me to address each one.

Growplease,

Yeah, switching docs kinda made my second one feel like a first one all over again you know? But by the time the third one came around, it was like, been there, done that...and the fact that this was the cleanest surgery with minimal shockloss made it easy for me this round icon_wink.gif. Now all I have to do is wait for the party to start.

Bushy,

Thanks man. Yes, I saw your 2 month photos...in fact, I've been using your blog as a guide (I know everyone grows at different rates and has different experiences). I've actually helped reassure people by directing them to your blog as well, because of the large amount of shockloss at month 2 and your amazing results now at only 7 months. My wife was dumbfounded when I showed her your blog...lol...in a GOOD way! I just hope I too can call myself "Bushy" by month 7 icon_wink.gif

Glock08,

For itchiness, I've been using Aloe on my head...seems to soothe things pretty nicely. Regarding pimples, you could always try a product called "Tendskin", you may have to order it online. I must warn you that it has alcohol in it, so I wouldn't use it the first month post or two post op...but after that, you should be ok. Check with your doctor to confirm. But it does seem to help with the "pimples" or in-grown hairs.

Biscuit,

Thanks for the kudos. So far so good. As I said before, I've been following your blog from the beginning of your journey and was using your progress as a guide for my second journey. Seeing your results helped me feel better about my shockloss knowing full well that the next few months ahead would be quite a fun journey.

PB,

Good to hear from you man...it's been awhile. I haven't measured the scar...but it's probably longer than most people's I'm sure. The scar area is looking better than last month...I think some of the shocklossed hairs in the donor area is starting to come back...so that's nice to see. I'm also using Mederma on the scar to try to help the healing process.

Merry Christmas Everyone and feel free to post more questions/comments!

Bill

Bill,

Just curious as to what style of haircut you tend to prefer? I understand that there are several options when you have the density you'll likely get, but with all the research you've done I'm sure you are aware of what tends to "look best" for most people with a HT. I understand that there are several variables but the short on sides and back with 2inches up top tends to appear more dense. Is the hairstyle you currently sport for growing out or is this probably what you tend to have?

Kind of a strange question I know but since you have had 2 prior HT's I'm sure you have experimented and have a vision or hope as to what you will be able to pull off. It will kind of give me an idea as to what I might be able to shoot for as I believe I may have 6000+ FU left to play with. I would love to have the combed back sort of spikey look--I'm a throwback from the 80's. We have all seen however several guys that I think get overly excited about having hair and grow it too long and it tends to take away from the technical artistry of the work. Just curious!

NN

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

Guest Cousin_It

You should be nearing the 3 month mark soon, looking forward to the next update. I am sure you are continuing to make great progress as you have so far! Good Luck in the New Year.

Nervous,

I think I'll grow a mullet when my hair finally grows in and travel back to the 80s...what do you think? Think my wife will approve? Ok ok...maybe not. Regarding my hairstyle, I am thinking I will grow it a little longer....I'll probably grow it kind of like Bushy's if I can get away with it and have the density to pull it off. I have always liked my hair a little longer but have cut it much shorter simply because I don't have the density yet to pull off a longer hairstyle. I think if an HT is done right, hairstyles ARE indeed flexible and it really comes down more to finding a hairstyle right for YOU, not because of the HT itself, if that makes sense. So...by the time I hit about 8 months, hopefully I will have selected some kind of hairstyle that looks good on me with my new hair icon_wink.gif

Cousin_It,

LOL...I wish I was closer to 3 months....but I had my surgery on Oct 19, so 3 months will be Jan 19th....still a ways to go....though if you want an update, I've had a good number of pimples on my head in various places...not too fun, but always a good sign of something brewing underneath. I'd say if all goes as things did the last 2 times, something should start to occur around 12 months and there will be some cosemtic difference by about 16-18 weeks. Keep posted icon_wink.gif

Bill

Nothing like a good mullet. Growing up in Canada a mullet was also referred to as hockey hair-- the long hair blowing in the breeze outside the helmet. Not sure your wife or mine would approve of us with this style but how cool to have the option!

NN

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

LOL....well a mullet here doesn't really have to do anything with the norwood area. A mullet is typically growing the back out to be really long while the top stays relatively short. It looks pretty ridiculous I think...even when it wasn't in style, I never wore it. Though I should try to find a picture of me with my longer hair and post it. Ah how the women loved it icon_wink.gif

Bill

10 week update:

1. Scar pics updated at 10 weeks. Scar continues to heal, looking better, some shockloss in the donor area going away as hair is starting to grow back there.

2. Some activity is brewing in the recipient area. A few, very fiew, but a few nonetheless, hairs have started to rise. Several pimples here and there, in the hairline and the crown especially. Nothing cosmetically different or anything...but 10 weeks seems to be when activity begins to start for me from history so we'll see.

Bill

Bill you are going to be one hairy man by next x-mass. Its amazing how the human scalp can take a beating and still come back for more.

1045 FUT "hairline" with Dr Feller on Nov 05

825 "hairline" with Dr Loria "saw so so results" on Jan 01

MHR 325 "hairline" micro/mini 's 1999 "big mistake"

Looking good Bill

Scar looks good and of course we cannot comment yet on your growth but 6 months from now you are going to be in paradise.. I just hit 10 month point of my 2nd HT and the results keep getting better and better

Turns out I will not be seeing H & W for my 3rd HT .. After speaking with them, they cannot perform a large HT without shaving my head. They did suggest smaller sessions but that contradicts the reason why I entertained the thought. Just wasn't a good match as I respect their methods and the requirements. Anyway, I cannot be happier with my results from Dr. True and another 1500-2000 HT's and I'll be looking perfect!! My hairloss was about 30% less than your situation..

Cheers and I look forward to your progress

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Bill,

I have enjoyed reading your progress since I first located this forum about one year ago. I have always been impressed with how refined your hairline is and now it will be truly impressive (along with your top and crown), thanks to H&W.

I thought it was about time I said 'thanks' for writing such well documented updates, which will prove invaluable to new members, 1-year anniversary members like me and veterans alike.

All the best for strong growth in '07!

1662 with Dr. Ron Shapiro - Spring 2006

1105 with Dr. Ron Shapiro - Fall 2009

M&M Weblog

Thank you for your posts gentlemen.

MrJb,

I understand that shaving the head down isn't appealing to everyone. I'm sure Dr. True will continue to do good work on you.

M&M and Sah1974,

Thanks for the compliments. It's my pleasure and honor to be here to be able to document my journey in order to help others. Of course, the encouragement and help from you all has been outstanding to me too! We are all in this together!

Bill

Thanks Bill

Yes, he's a good doc! I look foward to "growing" with you ..

Seems like 3rd time is the charm for both of us!!

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

2.5 month update:

Pimples pimples and more pimples....did I mention I'm getting a lot of pimples? Scalp pimples are never fun...causes some pain especially when combing, some itching, and certainly some blood...especially when they pop. I have never been in the habit of popping them myself...I typically let nature take its course naturally.

But as most of you know, the sign of pimples on the scalp, though irritating is a GOOD thing...beacuse the pimples are actually ingrown hairs that will soon start to grow. I see that a few hairs have sprouted, but nothing to jump up and down about yet. I'll keep you all posted!

Bill