11 month update: Dr. Hasson 10/19/2006 - 3701 Grafts

Stumper,

Well, once this HT grows in....I should have 7550 grafts on my head. I'm hoping that's enough to satisfy me! But anyone who's been through this knows all about hair greed! That being said...when I talked to Dr. Hasson, he said I have more donor...it's just in hard to reach places. So...I won't rule out that sometime in the future that I MIGHT get a 4th HT...but I'm going to be done after this for awhile I think. But I think I found and am sticking to my doc. Any future work will be from Dr. Hasson.

Bill

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Bill,

Keep giving us the day by day. I want to be able to go back to work after 14 days or so, and nobody notice. So, if you have day 12, 13, 14....and on pics that would be great. I know you shaved down by the scar, but feel at day 9 your front half looked really good.

eman

My initial HT thread:

done and done!! Check it out...

Hey Eman,

Yes I've sort of slacked off on the day by day recently, but that's because there hasn't been much change. Some of the hairs have definately started to shed and I'm still experiencing some redness and some itchiness which I don't scratch at all. Occasionally I rub my hair and scalp gently with my palm to help with the itchiness, but it normally just irritates the skin and makes the itch come on stronger. So generally, I don't touch it.

In regards to your situation...I don't know that anyone can guarantee that nobody will notice something in 14 days post op, though you wil find that people don't tend to say anything. People might look but generally, they don't say anything. The good news is, it's only temporary. But here are some more stats for you and hope they help:

At 9 days post op, all scabs were gone and I looked somewhat normal...but since I shaved my head, the scar was evident. If a doc is going to shave your recipient area it would look funny if you have longer sides concealing a scar, so my choice was to reveal the scar. I started noticing a little bit of donor shockloss aorund day 14 and it hasn't gotten worse, but believe it or not, my donor scar looks better shaved down to a 1 clip then when I grow it out to a 2. Of course, if I grew it longer the scar would be completely concealed, but I hate long side hair on me. But due to the slight shockloss, keeping my hair cropped short shows a scar but nobody knows there is hair missing from that area.

I have been taking pics every once in awhile though, probably average every 3 days, including last night...I just haven't posted them because there's not much difference.

When I get home, I'll see what I have taken and post some updated pics.

Hope that helps!

Bill

Since I've had a few requests...here is an update from the last week or so. I'm actually 28 days post op tomorrow, but I'll post updates for that in a few days when I hit one month and add 1 month pictures. For now, I've added pics from day 13, 16, and 21. I only added highlight shots. I take requests icon_biggrin.gif

The only other thing I forgot to add is I know I've been shedding transplanted hair BUT it's not as obvious as it was in previous surgeries. I know it's gotten thinner, lost most of the crown hair especially...which of course is normal...but I haven't seen large amounts of hair sitting on my pillow, etc. Maybe I lost them in the tub but I couldn't see them...of course it's normally early when I shower and my eyes are closed almost the whole time so maybe that's what's happening icon_biggrin.gif

Day 13, 16, 21 Update:

Not too much to report during this time. I'd say by about Day 13 to Day 16, I've felt relatively comfortable walking around at work without a hat on. A few people have commented on my buzz cut, and I did have one person ask me about my scar. I simply told them it was from surgery a long time ago. She didn't ask questions. People don't tend to ask detailed questions. And if she did, I would have said I didn't feel like talking about it...and that would have been the end of it icon_wink.gif. Showing the scar really doesn't bother me like it would bother some I'm sure...but it's up to each person.

Basically I still am experiencing some redness, some itchiness in the recipient area and donor areas...but nothing major. Some tenderness still exists above the scar all around, but it has improved signifincantly even between Day 13 and day 21.

Not much else to report

I actually will be on day 28 as of tomorrow...but I probably won't report anything new until 1 month and then I'll post 1 month pictures.

Bill, so far so good. I will note how different we all are in some regards. I mean, I'd never go out with the scar that visible. Good for you that you are that self-confident.

Also, it seems that you have suffered 0 shockloss. Am I correct?

My blog.

HT1: 4063 grafts by Dr. Hasson, 12/9/03

HT2: 3537 grafts by Dr. Hasson, 5/15/06

Total grafts: 7,600

Thanks for the comments guys!

Bushy,

Yeah, I don't mind showing my battle scar icon_wink.gif. I figured my hair state of being this short, however will be temporary as the whole point of having an HT is to grow it...at least a little bit right? icon_smile.gif

Regarding shockloss...if you look at the pictures of my other surgeries you will see that it's typical for me to start getting shockloss around 5 to 6 weeks and be really bad by about 8 weeks. History has shown for me that I typically start to grow new hairs by about 10-12 weeks and normally look pretty good by about 6 months. Will that be my pattern this time? I have no idea. Of course, I'm hoping for zero shockloss! But who knows!

Bill

1 month update:

Nothing new to report. Still some pinkness and some itchiness. Donor area feels much better over the last couple weeks...still some tenderness...a little bit of numbness, but significantly less. I have been working out at the gym, but doing mostly light weights. I only finally started to lift a little heavier the other day, but still not doing bench press free weights. Doing hammer strength and focus exercises to stay in shape

Bill

Thanks John,

Yes, the scar is improving each week. There has been some shockloss around the scar, which of course makes it look worse than it really is. I guess the real test will be to see what the scar looks like in a year or so. I have been able to start feeling some hairs starting to grow through the scar....I think anyway. That's a good sign.

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

7 week update:

Still some pinkness and some itchiness. Been applying Aloe on my head every night...feels great. This surgery has yielded the LEAST amount of shockloss comparing to my others...I'd say there has been some in the mid scalp area, but it's minimal when looking at my 7 week pictures from the last 2 surgeries. I can't wait to see what happens in the next several months.

Bill

Bill:

Thanks for the update...glad to hear that your shock fallout has been minimal...it looks like things are progressing well...I can tell that your going to have an outstanding result--pretty soon you won't be using the hat rack very much...as usual, the H & W team has done it again!...congrats on your great progress--much more to come!

Mike

Thanks Mike! The results haven't even started yet...I am sure I'm in for a lovely ride. I'm just glad that the shock fallout is minimal for a change. This has definately been the cleanest surgery of them al....kudos to Dr. Hasson for that! Now just got to make it through the doldrums and await results to come forth! icon_biggrin.gif

Bill

Guest Cousin_It

Bill,

It seems like you have traveled a long road, but due to your constant research and preservereance the end is finally here, glad to see things have worked out so well for you. Best of Luck!

• 2 weeks later...

2 month update:

Glad to see I didn't really experience much shockloss. Not much different than 7 weeks....a little less itching in the recipient area and a little less redness. I've had a few pimples near the hairline and a few on the scalp....though it's early at 9 weeks, it's nice to see since I know that's a sign of something brewing icon_wink.gif

Bill

Bill,

I'm really impressed with how things look. You're right, there appears to be very little in terms of shock loss. I think that the hairline is near flawless and it looks like there is going to be a good deal of coverage at the crown. Can't wait to see the next post. Best of luck.

NN

Dr.Cole,1989. ??graftcount

Dr. Ron Shapiro. Aug., 2007

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

Hey Bill,

Thanks for the update. Who would think we'd ever like to have pimples on our head, eh?? A sight of great things to come!! I'm anxious (as I know you are) to see the next few months for you.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Hey Bill and Hairbank,

Just a quick question. Going thru more than one procedure, does the process get easier the second or third time around? Or is it just as painful to go thru it again?

Not that I am contemplating another HT right not, I just want to know for future reference....

thanks,

GP

0.5 mg Avodart daily since 6/19/06

1950 grafts with Dr. Hasson in the front line 6/19/06.

Nervous,

Thanks man. Hairline looks good now I agree, but of course, the 1500 grafts placed in the front third have yet to begin to grow in addition to the 2200 placed in the crown and mid section...so I'm pretty excited for things to come.

Bspot,

LOL...don't be jealous yet...wait until about 8 months...then I give you permission to be jealous...lol. Right now I'm jealous of Bushy...dang, have you seen his head? Amazing! I'm sure you'll look pretty awesome after your second HT too!

Hairbank,

LOL...yeah, getting pimples on my head was definitely something I didn't want when I was in high school...but it surely is a good sign today...lol. The next few months should be promising!

Growplease,

It depends what you mean by "easier", because the process is very similar each time...but I think mentally and emotionally it's easier, even physically to some degree because you know what to expect. So I'd say each one got easier since I knew what was coming.

Bill