11 month update: Dr. Hasson 10/19/2006 - 3701 Grafts

Originally posted by youngsuccess:

the hairline down as in a caesar syle cut or spike it and push it forward at all? It looks amazing the way you have: pushed up and back would really expose any imperfections, which you clearly do not have, .

8051036813_hair_difference.jpg?ts=464A3C26&key=401B2FFD399D5D0B559793CDECBF1E77&referrer=http%3A%2F%2Fhair-restoration-info.com%2Feve%2Fforums%2Fa%2Fga%2Ful%2F5761036813%2Fhair_difference.jpg

actually with most HTs, especially dark hair sucks ince it's healthy and shows as unnatural. Let's be honest: hair that thick is not normal for hairlines. Maybe FUE can pull it off, unless strip doctors seek smaller caliber hairs within the mix for the hairlines. That, might add 30 minutes to the procedure but it will make a great impact.

Personally, I would try to hide the hairline if my hair was thick and black on white skin. I am being honest.

hair_difference.jpg.6c53440039ff3571b3be28f424829cc3.jpg

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey sups Bill

i see your cheating every month...updating 3-4 days early haha

well all i gotta say is great results,

nothing less than extraordinary

im looking at the Picture

7 month update outside no flash

and i can see that the texture is the same on top as in the side, which is AWESOME

BUT i just want to comment/ask is your frontal 1/3 dense? it seems like it can be see through? nothing big and im sure its not noticable, its just that you know on a hairloss forum, we look at everything

so im just asking, does it feel thin? and is it more noticable than it aqtually is in the picture?

Also last question

i couldnt find this anywhere

are you still able to pull any more grafts? you have about 7000 grafts and your results look perfect, and i dont beleive you would want/need another HT, just out of curiousity

thanks

Bill,

I think the past month has truly brought with it a lot of growth. It's looking very good and will only continue to thicken, grow and soften over the next several months. The outdoor photos are a great addition and reminds me that I owe the world my 12-month update with some outdoor photos.

As Hairbank mentions - thanks for the continued, thorough updates. It truly helps many people and is fascinating to watch.

1662 with Dr. Ron Shapiro - Spring 2006

1105 with Dr. Ron Shapiro - Fall 2009

M&M Weblog

Hats off to you Bill! : ) You have come along way in your Follicular restoration! It really looks full, it helps to have quality hair like yours.

Question: By looking at your photo gallery, it seems you didn't go through the 3 & 4 month doldrums. Especially the last HT.

Did you shed your grafts at all or did they just keep growing?

Thanks for sharing Brother!

Thanks for the responses guys. I'm glad that sharing my journey has helped many of you. Since my journey is not officially complete, I will continue with monthly or bi-monthly updates for sure.

folica,

I did go through the doldrums...but since I've had 2 previous HTs and minimal shockloss this time, the doldrums may not have been as obvious. They were obvious to me though. Glad that's over icon_smile.gif

Youngsuccess,

Thanks for the compliments. I actually have styled the hair forward and it looks ok...but since my natural hair (and now transplanted hair) has always grown the opposite direction - facing backwards instead of forward, the style feels a little forced if you know what I mean. But now that the hair is a little longer on top, it's easier to push forward, but not as easy to spike...hair is getting too long.

Regarding shaving the head...because of my super dense sides, there would be an obvious and relatively sudden difference in density, so I'm sure I could not pull off the shaved head look. I'm sure I could go as short as a 3 clip though all around without problem.

John_In_NC,

I appreciate your honesty...but I'm not sure I'm clear on what you mean. Firstly,my hair is not black...it's dirty blonde. See the outside pictures. I think the outside pictures give a more accurate representation of what my hair actually looks like since this picture you highlight is with a flash and the others aren't.

But if you are stating that hair this thick for hairlines is not normal, I would disagree with you. Look at someone who is not balding and look at the thickness of their hairline. My hairline used to be a LOT thicker than this before I started losing my hair. If I can find a picture of me from back in the day, I'll show you what I mean.

tisab,

Your questions are good ones and legit. A lot of your questions go back to "realistic expectations". Certainly the front 1/3 looks great, but it certainly IS see-through in certain lights and angling of certain lights. When the sun shines right on my hairline coming forward, my hair looks very thick and natural. When the sun shines from the back, it is relatively see-through (but still much improved over where I was).

Compared to the sides and back of my hair, it also feels thinner...but it feels healthy and looks natural IMO. So I am happy with my results so far.

So certainly there ARE imperfections...but with time, some density will increase, there MAY be some new growth, and the hairline will soften. Will all imperfections go away? Doubtful...but I hardly think anyone will notice (except the trained eyes of the world like us hair geeks icon_wink.gif).

----

I hope I answered everyone's question...if I didn't...feel free to repost and one of my clones will get back to you icon_wink.gif.

Bill

you forgot one question

Also last question

are you still able to pull any more grafts? you have about 7000 grafts and your results look perfect, and i dont beleive you would want/need another HT, just out of curiousity

thanks

Hi Bill and all

Many times you see someone with a natural head of hair and their sides are thicker than the top ( without thinning).. There is no "perfect" template as growing hair is genertically programed so the pattern is as radom as the hair types. I do think Blonde people hide the HT better due to a lesser contrast between skin and hair..

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

I also didn't understand what John_in_NC meant. That hairline looks about as natural as possible to me, even under that magnified inspection that the average person could not see. I think maybe what he meant was that there is some natural peach fuzz near your temples which is not there in the hairline, and occasionally very soft baby hairs gradually build into a thick hairline in women and adolescent boys, but not in grown men. I had peach fuzz like hairs around the hairline and temples when I was like 9, but by the time I started high school, I had my normal hairline which was dark, thick, and pretty low. If you looked closely at it, you would not see soft hairs gradually building the hairline- they were dark and thick. I remember this vividly because I can recall bleaching my hair and occasionally missing the very roots of the hairline, which produced a strong contrast, as the roots down to the very bottom were dark as hell. No disrespect to him, because it's good that we have people hear offering honest impressions; I just think sometimes people over analyze. I think you could probably put up a picture of a thick 15 year old's perfect hairline and claim that it is a picture of a transplanted hairline and someone on here would probably find something that they think is unnatural about it.

-------

All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my My Hair Loss Website

http://www.annmarieisme.com/ul/AnnMarie_Romney.jpg You know what I meant. Even on guys with GREAT hair, the hair on front is thinner.

Find me a picture of a natural hairline that has thick wiry, healthy hair. I made the same comment to bushy and I don't think he got upset becuase he is realistic and reasonable. Let's be honest.

I need to refine my hairline and drop it a bit, but I will go to a FUE doc that picks and chooses the front hair (i.e. thinner one)

John,

I am understanding what it is you are saying, but we are getting pretty darn picky if we are to question the naturalness of Bills hairline. Ya, there could be softer hairs in the front, but I know of many individuals with all their natural hair that look very similar to Bill.

I think that many of us that have researched and done our homework know that we will never be able to fully duplicate the natural hairline that we had as teenagers-- but pretty darn close.

Bill, you look great buddy and it will just get better.

NN

Dr.Cole,1989. ??graftcount

Dr. Ron Shapiro. Aug., 2007

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

I do understand John's point, however, in the hands of the right surgeon, easing in to the hairline as Dr. Hasson did with Bill, I'd put money that NO ONE could tell he had a HT. Let's face it..........ALL of us here are hair geeks and have trained ourselves to notice these things. And, you'd have to be closer than normal conversation to even inspect it.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

I believe I have more donor available...probably not a lot...but some. I won't be considering another HT for quite some time, but I won't write it off completely. My guess is a few years down the road, I might consider doing some hairline refinement and adding some density...I'll have to see what I have left though.

John_In_NC,

I'm not offended by your statement.

As time goes on, the wiry look of the hair will lessen.

I don't mind nitpicking (spelling).

I'll tell you this...if the worst critique that someone can give me is that my hairline is too thick...I'll take it icon_wink.gif.

Bill

Hi

He does bring up a valid point. With a natural hairline there are little fine hairs in addition to the follicular units with "softens" the hairlines. This is why blondes hair a more natural look as the lesser contrast between skin and hair help with the color blending.

Maybe doctors should consider "finishing up" Strip surgery with a couple FUE's removed from the nape of the neck containing these smaller hairs to blend the hairline??

I'm sure I am not the only one to think of this.. If I am I want 20%

haha

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Originally posted by Mrjb:

Hi

He does bring up a valid point. With a natural hairline there are little fine hairs in addition to the follicular units with "softens" the hairlines. This is why blondes hair a more natural look as the lesser contrast between skin and hair help with the color blending.

Maybe doctors should consider "finishing up" Strip surgery with a couple FUE's removed from the nape of the neck containing these smaller hairs to blend the hairline??

actually, I think that they could find a few 100 thinner hairs in the mix, but that may mean an extra 20 minutes for the techs. Sorry to keep mentioning it, but as HTs become more popular, people will be notice them. Yes, it is MUCH better than no hair, but it can easily be improved in my opinion.

Yeah

But also there are some people out there with thick hairlines that look fake.. It's always easy to question the naturalness of a HT when you know it is a HT.. Most people ( like me) have some native hair left so it blends the new hair nicely.. Also, gel can help as well.

Cheers

JB

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Bill,

I was looking forward to seeing some updated pics. Looks great, and I agree with the opinions that you could always go back later and "soften up" the front area if you want to. In my opinion, your hair looks very natural even cut short, since you have enough to pull that look off, but it's your hair so grow it as you please.

We should try to catch up some time in June or July.

Shorty B

Shortyb,

Thanks for the comments brother. Being that I'm only 7 months post op, I know the hairline will soften up a bit. I still may go back at some point for refinement work and some density in the crown...but that's years away at this point. I'm just going to enjoy my new hair for awhile icon_wink.gif.

Let me know when you want to get together. My weekend schedule after this one is finally slowing down icon_smile.gif.

Cheers brok

Bill

Hi

I think your hairline looks very natural and let's keep in mind it will surely soften up in another 7 months.. No doubt

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

hey Bill,

for starters, I want to say thanks to you for detailing your journey. Helpful is an understatement - inspiring and life changing is more like it.

Your hair looks amazing, thanks for the details, the support and your relentless dedication to this board, and your fellow brothers.

H_T

4700 fu w/Dr. Hasson on 3/1/07

Yeah,

looking at my past pics , it is amazing how much the hair softens in the end especially from the 12-14 month point.. I looked at pics of me at 4 -6 months and the hairline looks really hard..

Again, we must wait until 14 months to pass jugdement.. If we do it ealier , it's like grading an experiment 1/2 way through

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

looking good. I'm finally ready to get me another HT also. i wonder how far 5k will get me these days...

630 FUT - 8/27/03

2200 FUT - 5/20/05

2000 FUT - 12/15/07

"i haven't been this bald since.... well... since I was born!"