Family Illness in Dr. Lindsey's family.

i always hated it until i learned it meant brother

well RTC you shouldn't hate it as it is very appropriate since you are/were one of our balding brothers icon_razz.gif

Dr. Lindsey have you seen Colbert report last night by any chance? it was hilarious btw. he just came back from visit in Iraq and while he was staying there with the troops they shaved his head. once he took off the plastic wig on his show last night he received a huge applause from the audience. looked little awkward at first because his ears are not symmetrical but once i got used to his new look (5 minutes into the show) i realized it's not so bad and that he looks good with his new look. but i doubt that he will do that ever again.

give kiss to your daughter from all of us here.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks to all.

Julia wasn't feeling well enough for the Red Sox game, but I took her brother and we had a lot of fun.

She didn't feel good all weekend and told me to get my staff to shave me and when I get back there next week I am required to have less hair than she does. So Wendy is shaving me this weekend. Hopefully I can get some sun on my Cue-ball before work on Monday.

As to asymetry, we are all fairly asymetic. Just yesterday I did an otoplasty on a hair patient from last year. One of his ears protruded 34 mm(at maximum) and the other was 28mm. They are now both around the normal 18mm, but one sits lower on the skull than the other. This is notable to the observer as well as when he lays his sunglasses on the table and they are not level.

Thanks again.

WHL

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

So Friday Wendy shaved me so that Julia and I match for 4th of July festivities in Boston. We started with a J for Julia, and then all the way down.

It is taking some getting used to, and now I know that I mean it when I tell Class 7's to wear sunscreen!!

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

2009_06_27_3172.thumb.JPG.30a4957602af16ad786fc36a27219541.JPG

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

dr l

many times i have been talking to people who have all their hair & scoff at the idea of a transplant. i have made them all an offer of $100 a month to shave their head with a bald horseshoe pattern. not one person has taken the offer.

though it's not a horseshoe pattern i would like to donate $100 a month until her hair grows back. of course that means you have to keep on shaving till then. go with the horseshoe pattern & i'll raise it to $150. tell me where you would think it would do the most good to help children with your daughters condition.

today i had to tell a friend about the adoption that failed last month for my son & daughter-in-law. she said she would prayer for them & about 2 hours ago i received an email from my son with them holding a baby boy they are adopting. i'm calling laura in the morning with a little favor to pray for your little girl.

rtc

Reverse the curse,

I have been amazed at the support and kind feelings given to me by this community, and others.

If you, and anyone else is serious about donations...give PLATELETS at a local blood bank in your area.

Even though I did lots of medical training, and as an ENT resident, I interacted with kids with tumors, I had no idea the amount of platelets that kids undergoing chemotherapy will need.

So far, Julia has gotten 21 radition treatments, and will finish next Thursday the 9th; and she will get her last of 6 Vincristine treatments. Then she has a month off and starts the real torture. The next 48 weeks are the bad chemo drugs which will knock down her immune system and platelets to the point where people can spontaneously bleed...and require platelet transfusions.

Therefore, I would ask that if anyone wants to donate anything, and not just in Julia's name, then a REAL, USABLE, and IMMEDIATE need is for platelets.

It is just like a blood donation but they give you your blood back and you don't feel week.

I have not ever done this, but will be starting when she and my wife get back from Boston; and I'll update folks on what its like. I don't like seeing my blood(and all of my patients know that I don't like seeing their's either--thus I am always anti-aspirin, green tea, etc).

So if it is enought to make me whimpy when I donate platelets, I will admit it.

Money to foundations is great, but there are lots of kids (and adults) getting chemo who need platelets now. Consider donating in your hometown now.

Thanks again for your thoughts. And my best to your family too. Some of our friends had a similar event, and just a month later, they got a call and a newborn that has been a wonderful addition to their family.

WHL

McLean, VA

dr l

i just got off the phone with laura & she's working on that prayer.

boy you picked a tough one. i take to giving blood & needles like a quivering idiot. couldn't you have asked me to do something easy like those guys on "jackass"? papecut my eyes, chase a bull, hold some kind of explosives, ...

let me know how it goes & i'll try to muster up the courage. if i can't i'll try to bribe my wife by giving in to her wishes for a day.

rtc

Dear Dr Lindsey,

As a father of two young girls I cant imagine how terrible a time this must be for you all. I wish you, your lovely daughter & family my best wishes & you will all be in my prayers.

Dr. Lindsey, I am on this site almost daily and somehow never came across this post. I have a young daughter and when I read this my heart just about stopped beating. I know we do not know each other well, but I will not stop praying for you and your family until you post a message that says my daughter is now in remission.

Thanks again everyone.

Yes, an update.

Julia finished her 6 weeks of radiation therapy and initial 6 weeks of chemotherapy yesterday at noon in Boston, they packed up and drove home and she arrived with mom to see her brother, our 2 dogs, and me all wagging our tails with excitement at 9pm.

I reshaved my head in advance of her arrival and she really looks better than she did just a few days ago when I visited her in Boston for the holiday.

Her sarcasm is back, she told me that I have a big butt; she is talking way more than just 2 weeks ago; and she is running around like a normal 8.5 year old. And, she is able to use her right hand again to do some art stuff. Early on she really couldn't speak much or use her right hand.

She has 3 weeks off before starting a year of chemotherapy here in VA, which will be tough at times; and she will have to be home schooled this year.

We made reservations to go to Naples Florida way before Julia's diagnosis; and never cancelled them. So tomorrow at 8am, we are flying to Florida for a week of fun. She can't go out in the sun much; so we may actually see more than just the beach.

We have been told all along that she has an 80% chance of cure. We all appreciate everyone's kind thoughts and prayers.

WHL

McLean, VA

• 3 months later...

We have not heard anything for a while. I hope that means things are returning towards normal. Every time I log onto this site I think about how your daughters health and the health of any sick child is so much more important than anything discussed here. I will continue to pray for you and your family. Glenn Charles.

Thanks a bunch.

Julia is 1/3 of the way through her 1 year of chemotherapy. She got toxicity from one of the agents and got to the point where she really couldn't even walk and it was horrible. But she is pretty determined, and we have been working out daily. She has gone from barely being able to lift a 1 pound dumbbell to doing military presses with 5 pounds in each hand, 10 pound triceps extensions, 3 sets of 20 full squats without weight and 16 minutes on an arc trainer. She got a severe nosebleed and needed a transfusion over the weekend, but really has done well. She is getting home schooled this year and actually expects to be able to go with us to Utah the week after Christmas and she probably will try to ski on the beginner slope one or 2 mornings. And she and I have been looking forward to NEXT year, hitting the black diamonds at Jackson Hole, WY.

She starts her next chemotherapy Thanksgiving week and should finish everything June 20. Her most recent MRI was clear and we are still hearing upwards of 85% chance of cure.

Thanks for everyone's thoughts and prayers.

WHL

McLean, VA

I echo the sentiments of Dr. Charles, and Maxxy. I'm glad to hear that the determination and love of your family is being met with positive results -- wish you the continued best.

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

Thanks. If you can see the attached pic, I may be the only hair doc in history with a mohawk. I shaved it into this style to get a laugh out of the kids.

WHL

mohawk.jpg.4417c0e236973e30e97add059ef14294.jpg

McLean, VA

• 6 months later...

A brief update on Julia. Today she gets the LAST dose of chemotherapy for her brain tumor. She has done well over the past year and I appreciate all of the kind thoughts folks have posted or sent us.

Julia did in fact ski about 20 runs over Christmas. She is now biking about a mile a day, and 5 days a week she does a weight lifting routine with me. She has passed the 4th grade by homeschooling and is moving back to her old class for 5th grade this fall.

Her doctors are suggesting that she has about a 90% chance of being cured but she'll be followed closely for decades for both recurrence and the chance of a second cancer being caused by the treatments she got this year.

Thanks again for everyone's support.

W H Lindsey

McLean, VA

Dr. Lindsey,

I'm thrilled to hear your daughter is doing well! I hope your entire family remains healthy and happy.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.