Family Illness in Dr. Lindsey's family.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dr. Lindsey:

I wish your daughter a quick and complete recovery, and certainly wish that you will ski with her next winter.

I am not a doctor. The opinions and comments are of my own.

HT with Dr. Cooley on Nov 20, 2008

2097 grafts, 3957 hairs

Proscar, 1.25 mg daily, skip the 5th day, started Nov 2007

My Hair Loss Blog - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

It has been a terrible almost 3 weeks, seems like a year. I really appreciate all of your thoughts and prayers.

Here is a brief update.

Julia had surgery on 5.4 and in 10hrs had all of the tumor removed and this was confirmed on a MRI scan the next day. Prognosis is directly related (in her type of cancer) to having less than 1cm of tumor left after surgery so this is good.

She got out of the hospital last Tuesday and came home in a wheelchair. She went back to the hospital for a spinal tap and placement of a long term IV under the skin for future chemotherapy Thursday and came home the same day. She is now walking very well and as her prednisone(for brain swelling) is decreasing she is returning to old Julia.

Her main problems are: She says her brain is working fine, but its very hard for her to carry on a conversation; and her right arm is very uncoordinated. Both, and some double vision are improving a little bit each day.

She needs 6 weeks of radiation therapy and there is a special kind of xray unit in Boston, so Julia and mom moved to Boston today, til July 10.

When she gets back she gets a year of chemotherapy.

Prognosis for kids with similar tumors is 80-90% cure.

It won't be a walk in the park, but we can get through it.

IF anything big goes on I'll update the site and again thank you for all of your support.

Nobody should see their kid go through something like this. That is the hardest part.

Charlie Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Originally posted by dr. lindsey:

Last Thursday night we discovered that my 8 year old daughter Julia had a large brain tumor. It was quite unexpected. She had surgery Monday and seems to be healing as expected. She was able to walk to the bathroom just a few minutes ago, and although unstable, and having some double vision; she appears pretty good.

Unfortunately, it is cancerous and she will require radiation therapy and chemotherapy, but has a good chance of a cure. In fact the neurosurgeon says that it is likely that she and I can ski again the winter after next.

I have heard from several patients who have had close friends or family with similar events and the support has been really helpful.

Thanks for your thoughts and prayers.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

Doc,

I haven't read all the posts, but immediately thought of a true story I wanted to share about an old friend and coworker Greg, who had a brain tumor in 1997.

At the time, he was the engineer at our manufacturing plant, 29 years old, perfect health, etc. He was also my neighbor. One night in bed he had a severe seizure and was rushed to the hospital.

Anyway, he went to three different doctors and decided on one in Jacksonville, Florida. I visited two days after the surgery and was amazed that, even after being cut all the way across his hairline, he could get up and walk to the bathroom.

For a year or two, he said the only effects were a little trouble with some math, etc.

Now, 12 years later and 40 yrs. old he's got twins and living a perfectly healthy life. The froze his sperm, but I'm not sure if that's what was used or not, but to hear him now - he's just about good as new.

God bless your little girl and you all will be in my prayers.

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week

Thanks again for everyone's kind words and prayers. She is in Boston getting xray therapy and chemotherapy for 6 weeks. I'll be heading up there every other weekend starting this weekend.

We have a webpage for her on the caring bridge website. Feel free to visit if you like.

The site is: www.caringbridge.org/visit/julialindsey

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

• 2 weeks later...

Today is Julia's halfway point through her radiation treatment and her last one where she gets general anesthesia(daily) so that they can treat her spine.

She had a rough weekend from the chemotherapy but we are hopeful that by not having to get put to sleep everyday (and thus have to get up at 3am for breakfast everynight and then not eat til dinner the next day) that she will start to feel better.

On a good front, her funny sense of humor is returning and she ran about 300 yards even though she felt lousy this weekend.

Also, her hair is starting to fall out as we expected. Once she nears baldness, I am shaving my head too to help her have some camaraderie. My mom went through that 3 times and I think that was the worst part of her cancer for her. Hopefully for a kid it won't be as bad.

Her brother and I are going to see her this weekend in Boston and we have Red Sox tickets for Friday night for the entire family!

WHL

McLean, VA

Dr Lindsey i am very sorry to hear how your daughter is ill i hope she makes a speedy recovery. Your family is in my thoughts and prayers.

best wishes to you and your family bn

2 poor very poor UK ht's

2 world class repairs with Shapiro Medical Group

original thread

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.co...d.php?t=134995

Dr Paul's procedure http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1710

Dr Ron's procedure

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1128

Thanks.

Reverse the curse...I figured that I would go ahead and post the reason that I am shaving down. I figured that some folks, (and I am not saying that it is you), would maybe take offense that I could grow it back when I wanted, unlike alot of our patients and bloggers here. That is true. I do however expect to get some insight into youngish (I am only 44) class 7's when I shave my head, and experience whether people look at me differently, etc.

Believe me, I am sure I will learn from this experience and although I will grow it back; there is nothing I would rather have than if my daughter just gets cured. It will be a long year.

Thanks,

WHL

McLean, VA

Dr. Lindsey - continous prayers to your daughter and your family for strength.

I live in Boston, if you need anything - please drop me a line, you never know I may be of help in some way.

Dec. 2004 - 1938 Grafts via Strip

Feb. 2009 - 1002 Grafts via FUE

dr l

any distractions that can take your mind off this terrible disease are well worth taking. i'm sure you'll get a few giggles from your daughter. i see we have the same initials, my middle name is herman what's yours? i always hated it until i learned it meant brother.

rtc