Need Advice on situation

Hey all,

A few days ago i posted about which Surgeon would be the very best for restoring my hairline and temples, however because i am 20 years old i was basically rejected for even considering surgery. 

I have been on finasteride without any side effects (except mild gyno) for around 2 years, i plan on switching to dutasteride soon and i have lost basically zero ground since i started taking fin. Tbh i don't really get the necessity of waiting for ages if i stop my hair loss with meds when i know that i will continue taking them. 

Now, the problem with waiting for me is that i am fricking 20 years old and i want to look like it. I spoke to Dr. Mwamba and he told me that it would be okay because i am commited to staying on medication, which i am. 

I have been scouting this site for good surgeons and have found a few good ones that i feel like i could trust. I particularly like Laorwong's work but i kind of have a bad feeling travelling to Thailand for a HT, because of the lack of security i will have there should something go wrong. I was obviously also considering Dr. Mwamba, however i have read that he seems to have had a few bad results on here recently even though generally he is very well respected. I have been also looking into Pekiner, Bicer, Gur and Turan but i feel like i have not reviewed their work exhaustively enough yet though. 

Basically, it would be great if i could be hooked up with some sort coordinator who could specifically guide me, which doctor would be best for me and so on.

Again, i get that it's smarter to wait to make sure how the hair loss progresses and all that, but this situation has been torturing me mentally for 3 years and i don't think i can hold out for much longer if i don't change anything about this.

• Administrators

You are way too young for surgery period. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I've been told to get on med first to see if I can handle it. Have any of the Doctors prescribed Propecia for you yet?

I'm new to all this site and investigating HT, so can someone explain why being young makes someone not an appropriate candidate.

I understand that the  obvious is that too much balding will occur in the future and it wouldn't look natural as more balding occurs. Are there any other reasons?

• Administrators
1 minute ago, Electric said:

I've been told to get on med first to see if I can handle it. Have any of the Doctors prescribed Propecia for you yet?

I'm new to all this site and investigating HT, so can someone explain why being young makes someone not an appropriate candidate.

I understand that the  obvious is that too much balding will occur in the future and it wouldn't look natural as more balding occurs. Are there any other reasons?

Because you don't know the extent of the hair loss. 

Me at 24 in 2009

image.png

Me at 28/29 in 2014 

IMG_0262.JPG

If I had had a hair transplant at 20 to lower my hairline, I would have been in a disastrous situation. I wouldn't have enough donor supply left to cover my middle and crown. I would be left with an unnatural-looking patch of hair. Medication is not fail-proof. I have seen many say they will stick with meds, but the minute they experience side effects, they abandon meds. Also, medication doesn't cure or stop hair loss for everyone. There is no guarantee you won't continue to thin.

Furthermore, the expectations of a 20-year-old will be very high. They will want to get the hairline of a 20-year-old. While that is understandable, it isn't what is realistic. If you start balding in your late teens or early 20s, the chances of you becoming significantly bald are high. Getting a low and straight hairline can and most likely will prove to be a disaster you regret. I have seen so many men wish to return to look like an average balding person. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

• Valued Contributor
1 hour ago, Electric said:

Are there any other reasons?

Yes, several - though they're not likely to be well received by a 20 year old.

The fact is that at 20, you're just a kid. I'm concerned reading the OP describe his situation at 20 somewhat apoplectically:

2 hours ago, Nikko said:

this situation has been torturing me mentally for 3 years and i don't think i can hold out for much longer if i don't change anything about this.

I strikes me as deeply concerning that young men might see themselves losing hair and immediately jump to "I must get a HT". Part of growing up is dealing with the vicissitudes of life, a great many of which are vastly more important than hair loss. If clinics suddenly start taking on very young patients who get in a panic about something that they should really be able to cope with then it sets a very, very dangerous precedent. Surgery should always be the last resort, regardless of age. This is even more true when dealing with very young people, and surgery should be something that you want, but NOT need (setting aside repair/corrective situations).

I too had the beginnings of hair loss by the age of 20 and am delighted that I wasn't daft enough to try and get a HT at such an age. I would hope someone older and wiser than 20 year old me would have come along and given me a proverbial slap had I attempted it. Part of being a good candidate for surgery is your mental fortitude. I was always quite relaxed about my hair loss and would freely and openly joke about it. People who have rocked hair systems like @Gatsbyhave also made the salient point that if you're going to wear one, you kinda have to own it and have fun with it (or forever be hiding it from people, which seems a cruel form of mental torture to impose upon yourself).

The OP sounds like he's doing some things correctly; he's on finasteride and trying to get ahead of his hair loss. He's also come to this forum and has sought consultation with reputable clinics (I am extremely surprised that Mwamba might take him on). That's all good stuff. The uncomfortable reality though - and people don't like to say this but I will - is that if your hair is bothering you so much at such a young age that you'd consider paying money you likely don't really have for a cosmetic surgery then the real issue isn't really the hair. The real issue is something else and we shouldn't be encouraging seemingly "easy" solutions like a surgical intervention to make people feel better about themselves. And surgery is absolutely not guaranteed to be successful nor is it guaranteed to make someone feel better about themselves even if it is successful.

If HT's were suddenly made widely available to late teens and very early 20-somethings, can you imagine the outcomes? The vast majority of people - let alone young adults - will not be as judicious as the OP seems to be. Like I said, it would be an absolute can of worms being opened - a terrible precedent that really should be avoided at all costs.

I think for most of us who have had HT's, had the surgeon said "you're not a candidate", then we'd have said "ah ok, that's a shame, never mind", and moved on with peace of mind. It doesn't sound like the OP would be fine if this was the feedback he'd get from surgeons, which is a big problem (regardless of age).

@NikkoOne thing I do note is that you've come here asking for advice - which is great and a wise idea - but you haven't actually posted any pictures of your hair. You're not obligated to do so, and maybe what i'm about to say doesn't apply, but we have seen people pass through here who want a HT and when they show their hair... they absolutely do not need one at all.

• Like 9

• Administrators
14 minutes ago, Berba11 said:

The fact is that at 20, you're just a kid. I'm concerned reading the OP describe his situation at 20 somewhat apoplectically:

I strikes me as deeply concerning that young men might see themselves losing hair and immediately jump to "I must get a HT". Part of growing up is dealing with the vicissitudes of life, a great many of which are vastly more important than hair loss. If clinics suddenly start taking on very young patients who get in a panic about something that they should really be able to cope with then it sets a very, very dangerous precedent. Surgery should always be the last resort, regardless of age. This is even more true when dealing with very young people, and surgery should be something that you want, but NOT need (setting aside repair/corrective situations).

I too had the beginnings of hair loss by the age of 20 and am delighted that I wasn't daft enough to try and get a HT at such an age. I would hope someone older and wiser than 20 year old me would have come along and given me a proverbial slap had I attempted it. Part of being a good candidate for surgery is your mental fortitude. I was always quite relaxed about my hair loss and would freely and openly joke about it. People who have rocked hair systems like @Gatsbyhave also made the salient point that if you're going to wear one, you kinda have to own it and have fun with it (or forever be hiding it from people, which seems a cruel form of mental torture to impose upon yourself).

The OP sounds like he's doing some things correctly; he's on finasteride and trying to get ahead of his hair loss. He's also come to this forum and has sought consultation with reputable clinics (I am extremely surprised that Mwamba might take him on). That's all good stuff. The uncomfortable reality though - and people don't like to say this but I will - is that if your hair is bothering you so much at such a young age that you'd consider paying money you likely don't really have for a cosmetic surgery then the real issue isn't really the hair. The real issue is something else and we shouldn't be encouraging seemingly "easy" solutions like a surgical intervention to make people feel better about themselves. And surgery is absolutely not guaranteed to be successful nor is it guaranteed to make someone feel better about themselves even if it is successful.

If HT's were suddenly made widely available to late teens and very early 20-somethings, can you imagine the outcomes? The vast majority of people - let alone young adults - will not be as judicious as the OP seems to be. Like I said, it would be an absolute can of worms being opened - a terrible precedent that really should be avoided at all costs.

I think for most of us who have had HT's, had the surgeon said "you're not a candidate", then we'd have said "ah ok, that's a shame, never mind", and moved on with peace of mind. It doesn't sound like the OP would be fine if this was the feedback he'd get from surgeons, which is a big problem (regardless of age).

@NikkoOne thing I do note is that you've come here asking for advice - which is great and a wise idea - but you haven't actually posted any pictures of your hair. You're not obligated to do so, and maybe what i'm about to say doesn't apply, but we have seen people pass through here who want a HT and when they show their hair... they absolutely do not need one at all.

Excellent post 🙏

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

View my thread

Since you are young you can gain a lot of ground lost. Have you tried Micro needling plus minoxidil ? Try hair fibers also bro.

Honestly nobody in their 20s should get a hair transplant until you are at least 29 close to turning 30.

Balding in your 20s is at its most aggressive state and you will for sure keep losing ground even on meds.

Edited by Sunset Dune
  • Like 1

On 1/16/2024 at 7:56 PM, Berba11 said:

Hey man, thank you for the kind and well thought out reply! 

Like i already said, i pretty much agree with all the things you said on a rational level. I just don't want to subject myself to this any longer.

I actually already shaved my head a year ago, even though i toom finasteride since even a year before that. I did that in the knowledge that i would be less attractive and i must say that it's pretty comfortable having no hair to worry about.

It is just that i need the hair in order to get a partner and to someday make a family, which is my "ultimate" goal.

I know what you are going to say, that i don't need hair for that and bla bla bla. However, through observations of my surroundings, the things women say and prove to do time and time again, countless of studies and even things my friends told me i have got absolutely no reason to believe that i have any chance whatsoever as a balding 20 year old in the dating "market".

I don't want to justify my position, i just want to explain why i feel the necessity to do it now and to not keep waiting.

I will be doing absolutely everything in my power in order to keep the hair loss from progressing, to ensure at a least not a total disaster post surgery.

Here are also a few pics of my hair

IMG_20240117_204957.jpg

IMG_20240117_205018.jpg

IMG_20240117_205108.jpg

IMG_20240117_205132.jpg

• Valued Contributor
9 minutes ago, Nikko said:

I know what you are going to say, that i don't need hair for that and bla bla bla. However, through observations of my surroundings, the things women say and prove to do time and time again, countless of studies and even things my friends told me i have got absolutely no reason to believe that i have any chance whatsoever as a balding 20 year old in the dating "market"

This is genuinely one of the sorriest things I've ever read on this forum. It simply isn't true. Though if by "dating market" you mean simply dating apps... yea, you're going to limit yourself to who you can meet as the best looking and most together, sound, "high value" (I hate that term) girls have literally the pick of the litter and it begins with looks. In the real world - not on apps - other factors are much more important.

I had much worse hair loss than you do when I met my partner 11 and a bit years ago and as everyone is at pains to point out... I'm punching massively above my weight (she's a total knockout by any standard!). I had no problems prior to that either. Granted, things like Tinder simply weren't a thing back then, so you had to actually go and speak to someone in person if you liked them. That's a massive advantage because confidence trumps pretty much everything in the attraction game and by meeting people in person you can display your personality from the start. I appreciate that looks get you through the door on an app but you're not exactly a NW7 in any case!

Your hair loss is very, very minimal. What a good HT does is help people frame their face. This is where the major cosmetic and aesthetic difference comes from. Having a framed face doesn't require a super strong hairline or even great density and it doesn't even require a low hairline. You have a very strong forelock and the overall buzzcut looks like it has strong density. You have more than enough hair needed to frame your face, and if finasteride is effective for you, you'll hang onto that forelock and native density for hopefully quite some time. The recession you have in the temples looks mature but isn't "balding" per say. Any HT you did get would only make a subtle difference - certainly not the kind of difference between getting a girlfriend versus not being able to get one! 😅

19 minutes ago, Nikko said:

It is just that i need the hair in order to get a partner and to someday make a family, which is my "ultimate" goal.

No one will love you because of your hair. A good partner loves another *in spite of* such trivialities. They aren't the things that matter. I really think you should seek some help with your mindset on this as you're objectively quite wrong on this. Suppose you hadn't lost any hair and you bagged yourself a partner. Would you expect her to leave you at some point because you started to lose your hair? Obviously not, that's ridiculous. That's effectively your argument though (just the inverse scenario).

32 minutes ago, Nikko said:

However, through observations of my surroundings

With love and respect mate, you're 20. You experiential dataset will be quite tiny and incomplete.

33 minutes ago, Nikko said:

he things women say and prove to do time and time again

Such as? Again... data. The fact is that people say all sorts of things. 99% of population say they love animals and then pay for their death in fear and agony with their meal three times a day. People say and do all sorts of contradictory stuff on all sorts of issues.

35 minutes ago, Nikko said:

countless of studies

Citations please!

36 minutes ago, Nikko said:

and even things my friends told me

My friends ribbed me over my hair loss just like any good mates bantering their friends do. I wouldn't personally have it any other way - I was and still am more than happy to laugh at my own expense. There's no better medicine and I'd encourage you to try and find the funny side. Your friends don't know what they're talking about though. They're 20. I don't mean that to be patronising - I was 20 once and if some older dude came along and tried to tell me I was just a kid who didn't know what I was talking about I'd have thought he was a knob. In my mid-30's however, with all the benefit of hindsight, I recognise that 20 year old me really was just a kid. I didn't hold any limiting beliefs such as the ones you do at 20 (fortunately), but I can tell you they're totally wrong. 

And like I said, you really don't even have much hair loss at all.

• Like 1

@Nikko,

I know others have already said this and I know you don’t want to hear it but the truth is, at 20 years of age, you are too young for hair transplant surgery. It is far too risky particularly because genetic hair loss is unpredictable and your final hair loss pattern is most likely not yet visible.

While, Dr. Rahal does take one situation and circumstance at a time, 20 years of age is just too young for surgical hair restoration.  in my opinion, consider finasteride and minoxidil for a couple of years to see if it helps stabilize your hair loss and then in a couple years, you can be reconsidered for hair transplant surgery.

in the meantime, you could always consider scalp micropigmentation (SMP) which is a micro tattooing procedure designed to look like small, cropped hair. This procedure is perfect for young men who enjoy wearing their hair cropped short like a buzz cut.

Best wishes,

Patient Advisor - Rahal Hair Transplant

Edited by Rahal Hair Transplant

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

• Administrators
3 hours ago, Nikko said:

Hey man, thank you for the kind and well thought out reply! 

Like i already said, i pretty much agree with all the things you said on a rational level. I just don't want to subject myself to this any longer.

I actually already shaved my head a year ago, even though i toom finasteride since even a year before that. I did that in the knowledge that i would be less attractive and i must say that it's pretty comfortable having no hair to worry about.

I know what you are going to say, that i don't need hair for that and bla bla bla. However, through observations of my surroundings, the things women say and prove to do time and time again, countless of studies and even things my friends told me i have got absolutely no reason to believe that i have any chance whatsoever as a balding 20 year old in the dating "market".

I don't want to justify my position, i just want to explain why i feel the necessity to do it now and to not keep waiting.

I will be doing absolutely everything in my power in order to keep the hair loss from progressing, to ensure at a least not a total disaster post surgery.

Here are also a few pics of my hair

IMG_20240117_204957.jpg

IMG_20240117_205018.jpg

IMG_20240117_205108.jpg

IMG_20240117_205132.jpg

The truth is you may end up completely bald. Right now the hairline bothers you. But in 10 years. How would you feel having just a low straight hairline and a bald middle and crown. It would look unnatural. 

image.jpeg

Medication is less effective on patients with aggressive hair loss. If you’re balding at 20. You have aggressive hair loss. Finasteride is not a cure. 

I know it feels like the low, straight hairline is all that will ever matter. But believe me, that will change with age. If you can maintain what you have, you will be in a better position to decide how and when you want to use your finite donor supply. 

I’m 38 now, pushing 40. Im ecstatic with my hair. I don’t have a low hairline. But waiting to get an HT until I was almost 30 was the best decision I ever made. 7B56CDFD-A419-4FF3-91BC-B954BFC4D5D7.jpeg

• Like 2

View my thread

• Valued Contributor

@Nikko this was me at 20 after the complete surgical removal of a hair transplant because at 18 I wanted a low hairline. Totally unrealistic goals on my part and left me scarred for life. Notice that I still had my remaining hair. By 30 I was Norwood 6 and by 40 I was Norwood 7. 

IMG_0943.jpeg

This is a sad thing to read. @Berba11 has made some excellent points. I get that it’s hard for you to hear though. 
Women are not as shallow as you think and you seem to see yourself as “ugly”… I think that is the bigger problem here. How you see yourself. You will have lots to offer a girl. I can not emphasise enough how different you will feel in a few years. Keep an eye on your hair and continue with medication but, most of all, be kinder to yourself. Your hair looks good to me! You have a hairline. What does it look like grown out a bit?

Hope you’re well, mate. ✌️

• Like 2

Hello everyone ,

The topic about Hair transplant surgery in young patient is very very important .

I alrready did a presentation about it during a meeting of ISHRS .

It is very complex and implies to consider many factors before you take your decision ; it is far away from black and white or yes or no answer.

When I started Hair transplant surgery in 2000 , it was forbidden to do HTS on young patient up to 35yo ;it was forbidden to do HTS on female patient : It was not advisable to perform HTS on Afro hairs ,...

Slowly the age in AGA patient went from 35yo to 30 yo ; then female were allowed to do HTS under certain circumstances ,etc...

AGA or Male pattern Baldness is triggered by the combination of DHT ( a by product of testosterone ) and the Androgen Receptor .

The pic of testosterone is between 20 and 30 ( the big one ) and between 50 and 60 ( the small one ).

These two period are the most vulnerable where patients suddenly experienced a massive shedding or an acceleration of balding .

Hair surgery is just a redistribution of the capital hairs you have in your donor to your balding area called recipient.

Hairloss is progressive and never stop .Therefore results are unpredictable on a long run .The early you start the worst you can get ( probable not certainty and I insist ) .

The secong big threat for our hairs is stress ( which involves psycholgic factors ).And today we are observing more people suffering from baldness at early ages because of stress level in our society .

when it comes to young. patient , you need to wieigh the psychologic impact vs the unpredictability of hairloss progress before you make a decision .Sometimes you need a help of a psychiatrist to take that decision .

Now if you take the option of pursuing surgery in such patient , you need to understand the burden and the heavy task you load on your shoulder to keep up with your patient.It is a big responsabilty and a long. journey which can have many psycholigic impact on that patient.

THE FIRST PRINCIPLE IS DELAY ANY SURGERY AS LONG AS YOU CAN HANDLE YOUR HAIRLOSS EMOTIONALLY .

There is a statistic that we are missing today and I asked it to my colleagues many times with no clear answer : what is the percentage of young patient in their twenties who started medical therapy against hairloss and turned to become NW7 later on ?

During my twenty years inthis field , I didn't witness someone under medication who qualifies for it .If it exists , the percentage of such event is low and not common.The risk of side effects with finasteride is low ( we usually claim that only 2% get serious side effect with this medication ).Some physicians forbid their patient to take it and others allow them ( making them sign consent forms ) because it is unpredictable.If you are willing to not let your patient deal with that alone , then you can take the risk .

My task as a physician is to determine who is emotionally capable to be qualified for such surgery and it becomes very serious when we have to perform surgery on someone under 30 years old .They are not mature enough and it is a period of insecurity when it relates to self confidence and self esteem .You miss it , you will face catastrophy  big time.

But you can not exclude them just because of their age ; you need to listen to them and bring them the appropiate therapy to their conditions .

Avoid short cut such as give them medical therapy and let them deal with their condition when we all know that medical therapy is not a miracle cure .We need to provide them with proper support : medical therapy , psychologic advices and if necessary surgery as the last resort .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Follow us: Facebook - Youtube - Pinterest

Dr. Patrick Mwamba is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Can only echo the above posts.

My most rapid period of hairloss was from around 27-30.  Between 16-25 I had recession but it remained relatively stable. 20 is way to young to consider surgery.

I know you want a fix now but please trust this forum. It’s a collection of people who have gone through hair loss and are speaking from experience. In the long run you’ll be grateful (even if right now this isn’t what you want to hear).

Edited by ScottishGuy21

• Moderators

From your pictures it doesn't appear that you are losing hair anywhere other than the hairline, so I'm wondering why you shaved your head. Shaving your head at 20 years old is automatically going to make you look much older. If you've been stable on finasteride then why not let your hair grow out? I completely understand the dating issue. I was a NW 5 at 19 and had women older than me calling me a creepy old guy who should be asking their mom out rather than them. When I did date someone my age I was told I was robbing the cradle. For the most part the only women interested were in the 40+ range. I had dates with someone 15 years older and with someone 20 years older because that was almost all I could get. Anyway, just saying all that to let you know I get what you are saying, but I think you could be making your situation worse than it is by shaving. You don't have anywhere near the amount of loss I had at that age.

Edited by BeHappy

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

Agreed with the top post, shaving your head is going to make your image worse and give you a “bald look” you should grow out your hair and style it accordingly to make your head as full of hair as possible.

You can play around with styles to cover up any receding areas however shaving your head means you are submitting to baldness. 
At only 20 I’m sure you still have a great amount of hair so don’t shave it off. You’re not going to be attracting anyone with a shaved head. 

• Valued Contributor

Ultimately the OP has very, very little hair loss. Any surgery he did have to address the recession he has would be so minor and subtle that it's not going to make that much of a cosmetic difference anyway, rendering a surgery at such an age somewhat pointless and it therefore will not address the OP's underlying personal concerns about his dating prospects as they relate to his hair loss. A few hundred grafts in each temple corner isn't going to make the difference between getting a GF and not getting one. It just simply isn't.

As someone else pointed out @Nikko, unless you happen to like the buzzcut look (which I think is cool personally), there's no reason for you to rock a buzz with such strong hair. You have a good, mature hairline and the density from the buzz can clearly be seen. If you're worried about looking older than you really are, then growing your hair back out and finding yourself a good hair style that suits your face shape will be a much better (and cheaper!) investment than a surgery to add no more than 300 grafts to each temple.

• 3 weeks later...

Your buzzcut looks great, rock it. 

Aside from that, work on being a good person, put in work at school if you are in it, travel, explore new hobbies, meet new people, develop your own personal style, accept yourself. Do all the things that matter.

You're okay and you are going to continue to be okay. 

On 1/16/2024 at 12:15 PM, Melvin- Admin said:

Me at 24 in 2009

image.png

Me at 28/29 in 2014 

IMG_0262.JPG

If I had had a hair transplant at 20 to lower my hairline, I would have been in a disastrous situation. I wouldn't have enough donor supply left to cover my middle and crown. I would be left with an unnatural-looking patch of hair. Medication is not fail-proof. I have seen many say they will stick with meds, but the minute they experience side effects, they abandon meds. Also, medication doesn't cure or stop hair loss for everyone. There is no guarantee you won't continue to thin.

Furthermore, the expectations of a 20-year-old will be very high. They will want to get the hairline of a 20-year-old. While that is understandable, it isn't what is realistic. If you start balding in your late teens or early 20s, the chances of you becoming significantly bald are high. Getting a low and straight hairline can and most likely will prove to be a disaster you regret. I have seen so many men wish to return to look like an average balding person. 

I hope I dont become very bald I'm 27 almost 28

• Administrators
5 minutes ago, Phillyman1996 said:

I hope I dont become very bald I'm 27 almost 28

You would have been very bald already.

View my thread

On 1/16/2024 at 12:15 PM, Melvin- Admin said:

Me at 24 in 2009

image.png

Me at 28/29 in 2014 

IMG_0262.JPG

were you on consistent daily regiment of stabilizing medication between the two photos? 

I would highly recommend reading the book the Confidence Gap by Russ Harris. It's perfect for the kind of issues you're struggling with. It will help you get distance from thoughts like, "No girls will ever want me because I'm balding." Right now you're taking thoughts like that as gospel truth, when in reality it's just one of a million thoughts your mind is producing on a regular basis. It doesn't make it true because you think it. The key is to become an observer of these thoughts without getting fused to them. You notice the thought as just a thought and let it pass through your mind without getting caught up in it. Then you go back to being present in your life.

Imagine your brain has a window on the left side and right side. Right now, thoughts like that are entering your left window but your right window is closed, so you're stewing on these thoughts and they're causing you to spiral. These techniques will allow you to open the right window so the thought just passes through as it should without distressing you. It's a skill that takes daily practice, but it's very achievable.