Eugenix (Drs. Das/Somesh/Vinita) | 11,102 grafts | NW 6/7 | 28 yrs old | 2022/2023/2024

On 3/27/2023 at 8:09 PM, general-etwan said:

Hey y'all! I'm good, just been busy with some different things and starting a new job.

Growth has continued to come in consistently well. 6 months:

IMG_8270.jpg.42b66b617d661957cc3e590a98a9f496.jpg IMG_8274.thumb.jpg.1d27593145f05875e217056252dbc417.jpg

IMG_8275.jpg.6741500f2d084a942d907692cb58138d.jpg

I'm struggling with styling since I never had hair to style as an adult. Crazy to think but true. 

My goal is to eventually be able to grow it to something close to this:

IMG_8279.thumb.jpg.28cdd69b9dbfd97310f092dae6d80f49.jpg IMG_8280.jpg.47e801918a442e5ebb97b8ef40ef7807.jpg

Obviously the density of my scalp will never be the same as someone who does not suffer from MPB, but do you think I could get relatively close to this hairstyle if I let it keep growing? I have some sea salt spray and might try another styling powder that can help increase volume and perceived density.

My biggest challenge now going forward is the rear lower crown area. No recent pics, sorry, but as discussed before, that's the area that has suffered significant thinning and was not targeted with this HT. When I get a fresh cut, my entire scalp can look properly tapered, but it'll depend on constant short haircuts and when I want to let it grow longer, that'll be a problem because the lower crown area will look flat when it should be thicker compared to the lower back of the head for a proper taper.

Eventually I may inquire about a 2nd HT to address that lower crown and try to settle on as uniform of a density across the entire head as possible. Will be something to think about come this summer...

I have no advice on the styling in given that I've been with the Norwood grade six bald headed community for the past 20 years. However, what I can comment on is your latest photos which are absolutely fantastic and further pushing me towards Eugenix. I'm tentatively aiming for this summer.

• Like 1

On 3/27/2023 at 8:09 PM, general-etwan said:

Hey y'all! I'm good, just been busy with some different things and starting a new job.

Growth has continued to come in consistently well. 6 months:

IMG_8270.jpg.42b66b617d661957cc3e590a98a9f496.jpg IMG_8274.thumb.jpg.1d27593145f05875e217056252dbc417.jpg

IMG_8275.jpg.6741500f2d084a942d907692cb58138d.jpg

I'm struggling with styling since I never had hair to style as an adult. Crazy to think but true. 

My goal is to eventually be able to grow it to something close to this:

IMG_8279.thumb.jpg.28cdd69b9dbfd97310f092dae6d80f49.jpg IMG_8280.jpg.47e801918a442e5ebb97b8ef40ef7807.jpg

Obviously the density of my scalp will never be the same as someone who does not suffer from MPB, but do you think I could get relatively close to this hairstyle if I let it keep growing? I have some sea salt spray and might try another styling powder that can help increase volume and perceived density.

My biggest challenge now going forward is the rear lower crown area. No recent pics, sorry, but as discussed before, that's the area that has suffered significant thinning and was not targeted with this HT. When I get a fresh cut, my entire scalp can look properly tapered, but it'll depend on constant short haircuts and when I want to let it grow longer, that'll be a problem because the lower crown area will look flat when it should be thicker compared to the lower back of the head for a proper taper.

Eventually I may inquire about a 2nd HT to address that lower crown and try to settle on as uniform of a density across the entire head as possible. Will be something to think about come this summer...

This is a heartwarming turnaround, and that hairstyle seems perfectly reasonable to me. I figure you just need a bit more length and to mess it around. Who is he? A friend? Yourself before hair loss? The bedhead look has gotten popular these days funnily enough. It would be good for apparent volume and density. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/1/2023 at 5:13 AM, Rafael Manelli said:

This is a heartwarming turnaround, and that hairstyle seems perfectly reasonable to me. I figure you just need a bit more length and to mess it around. Who is he? A friend? Yourself before hair loss? The bedhead look has gotten popular these days funnily enough. It would be good for apparent volume and density. 

Thanks. That's just some guy from social media. Typical messy style haircut. I hope to get there someday.

Update, 6.5 months.

First thing to say: the front scalp is looking awesome and I'm just so thankful to have hair back at the front. To no longer have a receding/balding appearance is life-changing!

IMG_8277.jpg.80ff46befbfb8fcb567a66ee6c490088.jpg IMG_8278.jpg.f591c2b67741eaaee0ab06e8440058ce.jpg

I went to a Supercuts for a trim-up for the back and sides. Bad idea. Not a horrible cut, but chain salons simply do not know how to do a true fade haircut. I don't know what it is with the hair stylists there, but they don't have the skill/tools to do a professional fade (military-style, tight). And especially with my now unique pattern of hair density across the entire head, they really don't know how to handle it. This is how it turned out. Here, it's also time to look at the crown situation. You can see where the work was done (thick, dark hair) and then the area below it in the lower crown that was not yet addressed. This area, as we know, has probably thinned over the 50% from original that is the benchmark for never being able to recover, even with finasteride + topicals. I'm somewhat maintaining that hair, but it's never going to thicken and match the appearance of the hair above it or below it in the donor area.

IMG_8524.thumb.jpeg.9f1fc0fed19f3f88c2129ef62d60276f.jpeg IMG_8524_2.thumb.jpeg.b6e07e26ee21c8a250566ac195b78728.jpeg

IMG_8532.thumb.jpeg.2e05e42d3b931775f61be3f43f58881c.jpeg IMG_8544.thumb.jpeg.1e29e52fff9c3669aa490a733b385167.jpeg

A few days later I went back to my local barber who is very experienced in cutting all kinds of fades, and he understands my HT and density pattern and how to best customize it using all his tools. He and I agreed to clean up the entire top a little as well because I wanted to see how it looked a bit shorter/trimmed up. I plan to let it grow longer in the future, but here's how it looks shorter now:

IMG_8578.thumb.jpeg.ca9d6cf43c968c3b91a3550e41746479.jpeg IMG_8578_2.thumb.jpeg.8a3bc656c311a3a1c78fcaa4eed16a56.jpeg

IMG_8582.thumb.jpeg.aaeef8c920ba0c38aadf40117e952f44.jpeg

I am still obviously super thrilled with the way the front has come in. I've began ditching hats and feel so renewed being out in public with real growing hair on the front of my head! Best thing I've ever done for myself.

IMG_8586.thumb.jpeg.1afd9bf6d7b0021fb1b1cfbc443b0ee3.jpeg IMG_8587.thumb.jpeg.a105dba0e88b411c375bff019f4ddf16.jpeg

Now begins some strategizing and planning for a potential 2nd procedure, whether it be later this year or sometime next year. I think there's really only one way to address this and create more uniform density of hair thickness and texture across the entire head, and that's to move some more hair from the upper donor area right up to the lower crown area. And use some more beard hair if needed.

IMG_8524_3.thumb.jpeg.402410f053faba905f524bf0e055e94a.jpeg IMG_8532_2.thumb.jpeg.b04235a573a3992fbadb48588ba9e210.jpeg

I know there will be those who point out thinning in the lower donor area and on the sides above my ears. It's important that I express that I am completely content overall with it. I said from the beginning that I can easily deal with back and sides thinning, because I am a firm believer that top-of-head hair is SO much more important to maximizing appearance. We can see that my upper donor area still appears completely untouched with all the grafts taken from it already, so it should be able to have another 1,000 grafts or so taken with minimal thinning.

As long as this lower crown area remains significantly thinned out and weaker, I will require constant haircuts to hide the variance in hair density and thickness across the scalp. Within a few days, the donor area looks thick and dark again and the lower crown sort of stops growing at a certain point and will always look bare in comparison. The ultimate goal is to have more uniform appearance, and that way a more typical fade (longer on top, in the "horseshoe" pattern that balds in MPB, shorter back and sides) can be done and also let go for at least several weeks with every part of the head growing uniformly together before each trim-up:

IMG_8588.thumb.jpg.f6bc037c4debbeb7e8f9f9196bbdce40.jpg

I've come a long way already for sure, but I'm not stopping here. I'm determined to maximize this situation and reach what I consider a full fix for life!

IMG_8582.jpeg

Edited by general-etwan
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Amazing what a difference a haircut makes. Your plan for the crown seems sensible. So often I'll see a patient who still has a strong demarcation between the lower crown and the upper donor zone, and I'll just wish I could diffuse a that hair and make it a little more homogenous. 

Do you think you're done with the front? No more work on the hairline? 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, general-etwan said:

Update, 6.5 months.

First thing to say: the front scalp is looking awesome and I'm just so thankful to have hair back at the front. To no longer have a receding/balding appearance is life-changing!

IMG_8277.jpg.80ff46befbfb8fcb567a66ee6c490088.jpg IMG_8278.jpg.f591c2b67741eaaee0ab06e8440058ce.jpg

I went to a Supercuts for a trim-up for the back and sides. Bad idea. Not a horrible cut, but chain salons simply do not know how to do a true fade haircut. I don't know what it is with the hair stylists there, but they don't have the skill/tools to do a professional fade (military-style, tight). And especially with my now unique pattern of hair density across the entire head, they really don't know how to handle it. This is how it turned out. Here, it's also time to look at the crown situation. You can see where the work was done (thick, dark hair) and then the area below it in the lower crown that was not yet addressed. This area, as we know, has probably thinned over the 50% from original that is the benchmark for never being able to recover, even with finasteride + topicals. I'm somewhat maintaining that hair, but it's never going to thicken and match the appearance of the hair above it or below it in the donor area.

IMG_8524.thumb.jpeg.9f1fc0fed19f3f88c2129ef62d60276f.jpeg IMG_8524_2.thumb.jpeg.b6e07e26ee21c8a250566ac195b78728.jpeg

IMG_8532.thumb.jpeg.2e05e42d3b931775f61be3f43f58881c.jpeg IMG_8544.thumb.jpeg.1e29e52fff9c3669aa490a733b385167.jpeg

A few days later I went back to my local barber who is very experienced in cutting all kinds of fades, and he understands my HT and density pattern and how to best customize it using all his tools. He and I agreed to clean up the entire top a little as well because I wanted to see how it looked a bit shorter/trimmed up. I plan to let it grow longer in the future, but here's how it looks shorter now:

IMG_8578.thumb.jpeg.ca9d6cf43c968c3b91a3550e41746479.jpeg IMG_8578_2.thumb.jpeg.8a3bc656c311a3a1c78fcaa4eed16a56.jpeg

IMG_8582.thumb.jpeg.aaeef8c920ba0c38aadf40117e952f44.jpeg

I am still obviously super thrilled with the way the front has come in. I've began ditching hats and feel so renewed being out in public with real growing hair on the front of my head! Best thing I've ever done for myself.

IMG_8586.thumb.jpeg.1afd9bf6d7b0021fb1b1cfbc443b0ee3.jpeg IMG_8587.thumb.jpeg.a105dba0e88b411c375bff019f4ddf16.jpeg

Now begins some strategizing and planning for a potential 2nd procedure, whether it be later this year or sometime next year. I think there's really only one way to address this and create more uniform density of hair thickness and texture across the entire head, and that's to move some more hair from the upper donor area right up to the lower crown area. And use some more beard hair if needed.

IMG_8524_3.thumb.jpeg.402410f053faba905f524bf0e055e94a.jpeg IMG_8532_2.thumb.jpeg.b04235a573a3992fbadb48588ba9e210.jpeg

I know there will be those who point out thinning in the lower donor area and on the sides above my ears. It's important that I express that I am completely content overall with it. I said from the beginning that I can easily deal with back and sides thinning, because I am a firm believer that top-of-head hair is SO much more important to maximizing appearance. We can see that my upper donor area still appears completely untouched with all the grafts taken from it already, so it should be able to have another 1,000 grafts or so taken with minimal thinning.

As long as this lower crown area remains significantly thinned out and weaker, I will require constant haircuts to hide the variance in hair density and thickness across the scalp. Within a few days, the donor area looks thick and dark again and the lower crown sort of stops growing at a certain point and will always look bare in comparison. The ultimate goal is to have more uniform appearance, and that way a more typical fade (longer on top, in the "horseshoe" pattern that balds in MPB, shorter back and sides) can be done and also let go for at least several weeks with every part of the head growing uniformly together before each trim-up:

IMG_8588.thumb.jpg.f6bc037c4debbeb7e8f9f9196bbdce40.jpg

I've come a long way already for sure, but I'm not stopping here. I'm determined to maximize this situation and reach what I consider a full fix for life!

IMG_8582.jpeg

That first barber made it worse looking, and then the next one made it look sweet. It's something for others (me ;) ) to learn from - how important a hair cut is. 

Overall, looking good!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Consultation for 2nd and hopefully final procedure: 

cb99e708-356f-4be3-937f-05f918bd090c.jpeg.09b640e7608d208ec2b20c334cdc9466.jpeg

I think >2,000 grafts in the crown area is very reasonable and hopefully can acquire all from upper donor area + sideburns, but I have some beard available too if needed on procedure day. 

We’re looking at June. I am likely going to stick to the same price package as the first time (Exclusive, 120 INR/$1.46/ per graft) which is now with Dr. Somesh who I’ve read great things about on here. Goal is to get this redistribution project complete asap so I can not have to worry about having more HTs later on when it becomes more difficult with my career field. 

• Like 1

• Valued Contributor

One thing that I've noticed just going by your pics @general-etwan is that you appear to scar very well with the buzzed down skin fade. No surgery is scarless but your skin color and probably genetics seem to be in your favour. All the best with your future plan.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Gatsby said:

One thing that I've noticed just going by your pics @general-etwan is that you appear to scar very well with the buzzed down skin fade. No surgery is scarless but your skin color and probably genetics seem to be in your favour. All the best with your future plan.

Yeah for sure, I’m very appreciative that my “scarring” has been super unnoticeable. Helps make it easier to have tight fade cuts to increase the overall presentation of hair from the top of the scalp to the bottom. Thank you

• Like 1

• Valued Contributor

Another thing also. I haven't read every post of your thread, but if you are not already and are able to tolerate it, then you should consider oral minoxidil. As a Norwood 7 myself it made a big difference in improving my donor and transplanted hair as well as my beard. All the best!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, general-etwan said:

We’re looking at June. I am likely going to stick to the same price package as the first time (Exclusive, 120 INR/$1.46/ per graft) which is now with Dr. Somesh who I’ve read great things about on here. Goal is to get this redistribution project complete asap so I can not have to worry about having more HTs later on when it becomes more difficult with my career field. 

They should offer you same price with same doctor for 2nd procedure. They did 75% of job, but there is 25% to finish. 

It's like "ok man, you need 2000 grafts more to finish your case, but now you have to pay as 50% more". 

I would understand this, if you chose to do next part few years later, but you are decided for the next part just after 6 months... 

• Like 1

Best of luck Ethan! 2K grafts in your crown area is really going to seal the deal. A side note from me, is I would also push for some grafts on your humps if possible, I did this on my second sitting and very glad I did as it has really helped with the side profiles. 

Edited by Bandit90
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, GeneralNorwood said:

They should offer you same price with same doctor for 2nd procedure. They did 75% of job, but there is 25% to finish. 

It's like "ok man, you need 2000 grafts more to finish your case, but now you have to pay as 50% more". 

I would understand this, if you chose to do next part few years later, but you are decided for the next part just after 6 months... 

Well, so what they did do is offer the Premium Package 210 INR/graft with Dr. Bansal’s involvement along with Dr. Das, which wouldn’t normally be the case anymore I don’t think. But, I am still only going to be able to afford the Exclusive 120 INR/graft package. I’m happy as can be with all the work of the techs, and considering this is the crown it’s honesty even less important to perfect. I understand your position but also understand that Dr. Das does operate at that higher package now and so all the logistics and personal elements are lined up for their new leveling.

Edited by general-etwan

2 hours ago, Bandit90 said:

Best of luck Ethan! 2K grafts in your crown area is really going to seal the deal. A side note from me, is I would also push for some grafts on your humps if possible, I did this on my second sitting and very glad I did as it has really helped with the side profiles. 

Yes, for sure, I will request some in the lateral humps as well. I’ve been thinking about if it would be realistic to request any temple/further hairline work, but honestly, with how tricky the temple area is, I’m not sure I’d want to risk it with limited donor hair. And the way the sides of my head already show thinning, I don’t know that putting thick and dark hairs right at the front of the temples would look natural.

As my hair grows longer I plan to cover the forehead and temple area a bit hopefully, so that will be good enough for the front profile aesthetic. 

Edited by general-etwan

• Administrators

It’s crazy how hair can make you look so much younger. I don’t know your age, but before I would’ve pegged you at late 30s/early 40s. Now you look like you’re 25. I’m super happy for you, as someone who lost their hair young, it feels good to right mother nature’s wrong.

EDIT: The title says 26 🤦🏻‍♂️ 😅 well you look your age and younger now.
DE3C147C-BCF0-4C29-921C-F5CD7F799513.jpeg

Edited by Melvin- Moderator
Mess up
  • Like 6

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

45 minutes ago, general-etwan said:

Yes, for sure, I will request some in the lateral humps as well.

Lateral humps is now hot topic 😆

45 minutes ago, general-etwan said:

I’ve been thinking about if it would be realistic to request any temple/further hairline work, but honestly, with how tricky the temple area is, I’m not sure I’d want to risk it with limited donor hair.

I think with your current hairstyle(combing hair forward), you don't require more grafts on the front. Better to focus on the crown and lateral humps  if you want to stick to this hairstyle. 

But if you wanted slickback hairstyle, 40 grafts/cm2 is not enough in my opinion for great ilussion of density, there is too much seethrough.  Then again, adding more on the front means that you have to do less grafts on the crown. 

I understand your position but also understand that Dr. Das does operate at that higher package now and so all the logistics and personal elements are lined up for their new leveling.

yeah, but what about former patients, doesn't they deserve special treatment? I guess not. 

"Old price for regular customer" - it's a rule that i saw on this forum is applied by some clinics, but clearly not by Eugenix. 

Edited by GeneralNorwood

1 hour ago, general-etwan said:

I’ve been thinking about if it would be realistic to request any temple/further hairline work, but honestly, with how tricky the temple area is, I’m not sure I’d want to risk it with limited donor hair.

@general-etwan another few thousand grafts and you are set brother. Everything looks so good, and a massive improvement in your overall appearance! The good news is that temple point grafts don't really deplete donor as it's coming from nap of neck and behind the ears. Those hairs are not often used for the top or crown so you could design out the temple points without much restriction from that perspective. Looking forward to seeing part 2 of this amazing journey 👏 

1 hour ago, GeneralNorwood said:

Lateral humps is now hot topic 😆

I think with your current hairstyle(combing hair forward), you don't require more grafts on the front. Better to focus on the crown and lateral humps  if you want to stick to this hairstyle. 

But if you wanted slickback hairstyle, 40 grafts/cm2 is not enough in my opinion for great ilussion of density, there is too much seethrough.  Then again, adding more on the front means that you have to do less grafts on the crown. 

yeah, but what about former patients, doesn't they deserve special treatment? I guess not. 

"Old price for regular customer" - it's a rule that i saw on this forum is applied by some clinics, but clearly not by Eugenix. 

No plans to slick hair backwards anytime soon. I want to have a little of a messy/fluffy look on top. But, I will inquire about if any grafts could be added to the frontal area, though I would only do that after we take care of plans for the crown first. Because the appearance of uniform density across entire scalp is most important to me so that I don't require haircuts every few days to maintain a maximized aesthetic due to varying densities and growth.

I'll push to see if Dr. Das can do the Exclusive Package for me again. They offered Bansal for the 210, but that's going to be above my price point. Will see what I can do.

Edited by general-etwan
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, MazAB said:

@general-etwan another few thousand grafts and you are set brother. Everything looks so good, and a massive improvement in your overall appearance! The good news is that temple point grafts don't really deplete donor as it's coming from nap of neck and behind the ears. Those hairs are not often used for the top or crown so you could design out the temple points without much restriction from that perspective. Looking forward to seeing part 2 of this amazing journey 👏 

Thanks. I will ask them what they think about temple areas, though that would need to be factored into a hairline-area plan as well. Will see what our options are. Ultimately, as expected, they'll say that final determination will be made once I arrive there and donor availability is physically assessed again.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MazAB said:

OP has significant thinning in the nape - would it make sense to use those hairs in the temples given that they have a high likelihood of falling out? How would that look 10 years down the line if he has splotchy temples? 

2 hours ago, GoliGoliGoli said:

OP has significant thinning in the nape - would it make sense to use those hairs in the temples given that they have a high likelihood of falling out? How would that look 10 years down the line if he has splotchy temples? 

Good point, and if that's the case, then back of ears would be the better option with a more conservative approach 👍 

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
7 hours ago, general-etwan said:

June 8th. 2nd procedure with Dr. Das & Somesh. 2000 grafts estimated. 
IMG_8876.thumb.jpeg.7902f177246b6805d5a87e97db898cbc.jpeg

Excited for you @general-etwan and thanks for being so giving to this community!

What do the drawn blue lines and circles in the photo mean? Are those the areas in which they would extract the grafts?

Thanks!

On 5/26/2023 at 8:59 AM, SLA said:

Excited for you @general-etwan and thanks for being so giving to this community!

What do the drawn blue lines and circles in the photo mean? Are those the areas in which they would extract the grafts?

Thanks!

Yeah, that’s my drawing of what donor area I think can be taken from, and the red is the area I want the grafts placed.