working out and exercise

i'm not so much worried about the grafts, but moreso stretching the scar on the back of my head.

i've read about guys working out to early and this causes poor healing of the scar from the donor area and increases the likelyhood of stretching. can anyone comment on this specifically?

i've actually even read that it's best not to start working out for as long as three months. any thoughts about that?

thanks!

My doc told me I shouldn't do situps for at least 2 months (I took it as a compliment on my abs as I didn't ask). I'm 3 weeks post op, I'm doing bench press etc but avoiding situps and upper back, lats.

I got carried away about 2 weeks post op and did a load of upper back and trapezius. The skin around my scar felt really tight for a couple of days after, so I regret that. Not sure if it stretched, but I'll be leaving all upper back stuff and situps for at least another 5 weeks.

HM

The most important thing to avoid when trying to prevent donor scar widening after hair transplantation is flexing of the neck. Do not try to touch your chin to your chest to see how far you can go before it starts to hurt.I recommend light workouts after 7 days for the first week. At 2 weeks post op I allow for full workouts with the reminder to avoid over flexing the neck. You may have to alter your workouts for an additional 4-6 weeks, but some workout is better than no workout.

I got the same advice. Be very careful about excecises that require head or neck movement. I went back to the gym about 2 weeks after. I lifted, but I did a bunch of cardio, which also increases blood flow to nourish the new folicles.

• 5 months later...

I don't hear anyone talking about running post-op. Can I go for a 10K run 2 weeks after my HT??? Can I sprint? I also play competitive soccer and want to get back to that asap.

I'm confused because I hear some people say "go light" while I hear others say "don't stretch the scar". I don't think running has anything to do with these things, but I'm not sure.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

I can't believe you guys are dicing with stretching your scars and that Dr. Feller says the day after the staples is OK. Any sport that requires you to stretch your neck, including sudden right and left twisting ought to be suspect. In my experience stretching can happen well into the six month. Having an HT isolates us a bit and doing a workout is a great "feel-good" response, but resist the temptation if you can

i second wat megatron has just said. Working out is fundamental to some so it does feel really weird to stop for weeks, needless to talk abt mths!

anyone feels that doing pull up is ok? u dun actually yank ur neck that much but hey pulling ur body weight defn stress part of the neck muscle...

any comments on this?

thanks!

View my hair loss website. Surgery done by Doc Pathomvanich from Bangkok http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1730

You guys are looking for a definitive/scientific answer to this and, unfortunately, there really is none. Everyone heals differently, and a scar might stretch if not fully healed. I would say use common sense: if your scar doesn't look healed and feels very tight, take it easy for a while.

P.S. Keep in mind it's much easier to get back in shape after a few months off than having to go in for scar revision surgery.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

P.S. Keep in mind it's much easier to get back in shape after a few months off than having to go in for scar revision surgery.

that's a very good point. that said, I think I'll just have to feel it out after my HT.

another question - I do a lot of thai boxing. how long do you think until I can safely take punches to the head (i.e. grafts not the donor)? sounds weird I know, but I'm being serious.

I started back in the gym on day 7 after my HT. I used 50% of normal weights and did 15 to 20 reps and walking uphill on the treadmill. No situps(bad news, I tried them once) and no chins(do light lat pulldowns to the front instead), shrugs, upright rows, deadlifts or squats for a month. Be careful of overhead pressing as that works traps which pulls on the neck. I worked out every day after day 7, did some treadmill work and stationary bike for legs. At such an early stage you get to feel how the exercises affects the donor area. I found that if I kept the weights light, breathed throughout each movement (dont grit your teeth or hold your breath) and was careful, there was no strain on the scar. After 4 weeks I was back to my normal weights and condition. I did get some stinging from sweat on the incision line for the first 2 weeks. I think jogging is ok after a week. I wouldnt do sprinting for at least a month or do sports where you arnt in control of head or neck movement for a month at least. cheers

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

thank you for all your responses and support:) as some of you know today is 3 months since my FUT surgery with dr. meshkin (3020 grafts). also as I mentioned before I am a mix martial arts fighter and would like to know what you guys think? My doctor told me I am ok to start doing anything without limitations, weight lifting, wrestling, jujitsu,boxing, muay thai, etc.... However, I have read some articles on the internet and some doctors say to weight up to 6 months to do grappling and weights:( I think my scar looks fine so far and I would like to keep it that way. I just would like to hear your different oppinions. thank you

At 3 months post-op, I think you'll be okay. Obviously the outside epidermis layer is completely healed and the inner dermis layer should be fine by now as well.

I would still refreain from sit-ups or the row machine for another 2-3 months just to be extra careful on stretching the scar.:cool:

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

I heard that at least 3 months is the key time give or take with light workouts before 3 months is ok. I also love to work out and it is hard to not be doing it but I say to myself I spent all this time and money in fixing my hair and I am going to jeopardize having a stretched scar just to work out? No way...a scar is forever...not being as tight as I was 3 months ago bc I held off on the weights post surgery is temporary. I am sure you will be able to recoup what was lost in those 3 months...just continue to eat right and you will be fine.

Thank you guys for your support:). So you guys think I should start grappling (wrestling and jujitsu)? And also start lifting weights?

I will be happy if I can do at least push ups:). Regarding the row machine I started using it after two months of my hair transplant because I touught it was gentle enough to do it. I been using it at a very slow pace and been keeping my head up all the time while rowing.

Like I mention before I think my scar looks good taking in consideration that I cut my hair so short. I am stressing out because I think if I start doing weights or wrestling I will stretch it. However I have also heard that if your scar does not stretch in the first 3 months then it won't stretch anymore.

My doc said to do very light cardio after one month, step up the cardio after 2 months and resume weights after 3. I am going to follow that to the letter.

I love working out and haven't had a prolonged break from the gym for 17 year sor so.....having said that tho I am not going to do anything to risk my HT result. Missing the gym will be a pain but I can easily get back to the level I was at previously with 6-8 weeks when I return. In the meantime I am just eating ultra healthily to make sure I do not put on weight.

Thanks stickyboy and everybody else. I just spoke with my doctor yesterday and I explained in detail again that in grappling they will be grabbing and bending my neck a lot so he told me to wait 6 months to do any wrestling and jujitsu. However he told me I can do any type of cardio and weights:).

It can take up to one year, sometimes longer for patients to regain elasticity in their scalps.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

• 1 month later...

Hello guys today is been 5 months and 3 days since the day of my surgery. dr. meshkin told me to wait 6 months to do brazilian jujitsu and wrestling do to the grabbing and bending of the neck in these two sports. I really like how my donor scar looks right now and I do not want to do anythin to streach it out.

Do you think I will be safe after 6 months to practice these two sports with out fear of stretching my scar? I also started to lift weights everynow and then but very light. I want to be able to do squads, bench press, pull ups, dedlifts etc.... what do you guys think?

take at least three weeks off...its a major pain and it puts your life on hold, but trust me after streching the scar wider than it shuld youd wished you had....three weeks is a good break for your body to heal and you can come back strongr...