Oral Minoxidil users

HairTrippin

I have naturally low BP so I can't tolerate more than 2.5mg (OM is BP lowering drug)

For sides, Minoxidil always gave me bad skin and dark circles. I can somewhat counteract it with tretinoin and good skincare though.

Looong eyelashes and eyebrows, a bit of hand hair. Rest body parts no change.

No more sides. And results are good for my thinning hair.

Edited by WhereIsMyMind

9 minutes ago, andrewfaliro said:

Been on 5mg daily for almost 6 months. Only sides are a much thicker beard, eyelashes, and eyebrows. No other body hair was affected (arms, etc) which was weird.

How is the hair on your scalp? Improving?

Just now, thetdog666 said:

How is the hair on your scalp? Improving?

Difficult to say at this point to be completely honest. I also forgot to mentioned that I had a shed phase which I read was normal. That lasted about 3 weeks and was a bit annoying. 

I see a lot of smaller hairs growing on the hair line but not sure if those are vellus or new hairs. 

I have my first surgery with Dr. Bisanga on Sept 27th so i'll jump off a week or two before per the instructions from the clinic and resume after of course.

has anyone tried OM that is also taking medication to control high blood pressure? OM was originally designed to lower BP but at high doses the side effects are apparently severe. curious if anyone who already takes BP meds has tried low dose OM and experienced issues such as dizziness, lightheadedness....

• Like 1

4 hours ago, andrewfaliro said:

Difficult to say at this point to be completely honest. I also forgot to mentioned that I had a shed phase which I read was normal. That lasted about 3 weeks and was a bit annoying. 

I see a lot of smaller hairs growing on the hair line but not sure if those are vellus or new hairs. 

I have my first surgery with Dr. Bisanga on Sept 27th so i'll jump off a week or two before per the instructions from the clinic and resume after of course.

Dr. Bisanga takes OM himself, did he tell you to get on it? I wonder how many of his patients are on it

3 hours ago, ljpcarrera said:

No sorry no pics. It really works well. I have been taking Dutasteride since 2001. Around month 3 of the oral 2.5 my hair really started to fill in. Way better than the topical.

Nice. So you had been using the topical, stopped that and then started the oral?

Yes, I read that NYT article. Oral minoxidil seems to be getting some hype. I went to my family physician and she would not prescribe me oral minoxidil because she considers it off label use for hair loss. Then I ask Dr Bansal from Eugenix, she also declined stating it can cause cardiac effects. Finally, I ordered some gray market medicine. The tablet is 10mg. I will be chopping it up to 8 pieces for 1.25 mg and see how it goes. I am hoping that oral minoxidil can deliver more nutrients to my new hair transplant follicles so they can better survive. I might not be a long user though. For sure, finasteride and dutasteride are my staples.

2 hours ago, HairTrippin said:

When speaking to my dermatologist, he said that I can maintain the gains from OM and switch to topical. I’m not sure if this is true, but it would be nice to use OM for a while and go back to topical and maintain gains

I've hypothesized about this in a different thread. Doesn't seem to be any reason it wouldn't work. I probably won't do it anyways, but may stop applying topical every day at some point, or at least switch from 5% to 2%. 

5mg for the last 3 months post surgery (Just reading all the replies here this dosage seems high, should i reduce it to 2.5mg I wonder?). Only sides I've noticed are hairier hands/fingers! Results wise I think I've just started to notice some early growth lately, could be related or not to the oral minox. it's hard to know. I'll post picture updates on my thread once I get a trim this weekend 😀

FUT with Dr. Konior in 2014 - 3814 grafts - Thread

FUE with Dr. Pinto in May 2022 - 3252 grafts

Even after lowering my dose from 5mg to 2.5mg, I had one alcoholic drink today and my blood pressure lowered and heart rate went above 100. It is still thereabouts. I will probably lower to 1.25mg now. This is really unfortunate, I do not want to stop the drug. It's thickend my hair a bit, nothing miraculous. However I also like the eyelash and eyebrow darkening.

9 minutes ago, MissMyLongHair said:

Even after lowering my dose from 5mg to 2.5mg, I had one alcoholic drink today and my blood pressure lowered and heart rate went above 100. It is still thereabouts. I will probably lower to 1.25mg now. This is really unfortunate, I do not want to stop the drug. It's thickend my hair a bit, nothing miraculous. However I also like the eyelash and eyebrow darkening.

How long after taking your medication did you have an alcoholic drink? 

14 minutes ago, HairTrippin said:

How long after taking your medication did you have an alcoholic drink? 

Took my oral minoxidil at 14:45, maximal effect on blood pressure occurs 2-3 hours after administration. Had no issues then. Had a drink (1.3 UK units) some time after 20:00, experienced those side effects after it metabolised.

Edited by MissMyLongHair

• 1 month later...
On 8/24/2022 at 8:20 AM, andrewfaliro said:

He recommended to stop oral minoxidil a week before surgery? I wasn't sure if that was just for topical minoxidil only.