My FUT with Dr. Konior ~ 3800 grafts

Hey so I'm in my hotel room recovering after a long day yesterday with Dr. Konior. It almost sounds like a cliche now to say after so many other threads but the doctor and the staff there are really amazing, they look after you so well.

I flew in from Ireland to Chicago on Sunday, just chilled for a couple of days and stocked up on food supplies.

On Monday I picked up my prescription meds from the pharmacy across the road and called into the office for a chat and fill out some paperwork with the staff.

Felice from the office picked me up at 6.15am from my Hotel and then met Dr. Konior (such a nice guy)to discuss the procedure and my goals. That really didn't take to long, we were on the exact same page - Reinforce the temple points, leave the hairline where it is and fill in behind it, packing from the front towards the back, leaving the crown as is for now.

Once i'd my blood pressure and meds taken all the usual stuff they numbed the donor area and took my strip. From here on its a bit of a blur, I was well out of it from the meds so couldnt describe the procedure in detail :) I remember breaking for snacks, gatorade and a sandwich and the odd bathroom visit thats about it.

We were there till just after midnight, The doctor explained it was a bit trickier then usual because of my scalp characterics ie. when he pushed one graft in sometimes another came out so it required a great deal of patience and that is something which he has in bucketloads. He said I was a great patient too because with that going on if I was moving at all it would have been really difficult but I was still as a rock, thank you meds ha!

I'll follow up with some pics once i get them and a breakdown of grafts.. still can't really believe I've had it done :eek:

Edited by therambler

FUT with Dr. Konior in 2014 - 3814 grafts - Thread

FUE with Dr. Pinto in May 2022 - 3252 grafts

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad it went well for you mate. It sounds like similar grafting issues to what I had!

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

Thanks SADbutTrue (metallica fan!?) This is taken from Dr. Koniors instructios

'Patients scheduled for surgeries of 2000 grafts or more may need to have the recipient area shaved on the day of surgery. PLEASE CONTACT Dr. Konior immediately if you are uncertain. Almost all patients of 2500 grafts or more will need to have the recipient zone shaved. Shaving the hair at the recipient zone greatly facilitates the implantation of grafts and the quality of the surgery.'

Thanks stinger Dr. Konior seemed happy with it as well.Have some more pics taken just now. Bit of oozing going on. Was in for a clean up at the clinic earlier. I was told to use the odd bit of spray if needed but not too much, will start spraying properly tomorrow.

ps. Mods, Is this in the right thread or should it be moved to Hair restoration results by patients topic?

20140723_211210.jpg.210c3861398c270f338d4ec21e95d56b.jpg

20140723_211243.jpg.93f7698d299764528d6912cdb2383f1d.jpg

20140723_211153.jpg.eaf3e10db0889806533731a9af144f25.jpg

Thanks Spex :) Let the long waiting game begin!

Hey delancey, you'd really have to ask email the Dr. or ask Tom for a quote if your interested, I'm not sure it's my place to quote his prices, sorry I'm not trying to be rude.

It cost me a good whack, flying from Ireland to UK.. to Ireland.. to Chicago, paying for accom. and HT and then flying the same route back! Long story about all the flights, basically I was working in London when i booked everything but since moved jobs back to Ireland and a that stage it was way to expensive to try change my original flights. Just means know I've to go through the security gauntlet 3 times I think :(

No worries! Best of luck to you. May I ask you if you had any consultations with any of the European surgeons before deciding to go to the U.S.?

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

I had an online consultation a few years back with some of the belgian docs - Dr. Deveroe and Dr. Feruidini i think. This was about 3 years ago and I didn't have the money plus I was prob better off waiting a few years anyway, I'm 30 now.

I had a consultation with David the UK rep from Hasson and Wong in London, really nice guy and worth visiting if he's around your area. In the end I went with Dr. Konior because he's had some great results in last few years with people who's hairlines seemed similar to my own. And I like the fact he places the grafts himself. He's a perfectionist who loves his profession and it shows.

Sure he might be more expensive than other doctors and definitely ones based in Europe for me but I wasn't going to let money be a deciding factor in one of the most important decisions in my life :)

Bit of swelling kicking in today. Again sorry about the quality, all I have is my camera phone. If there are any other angles people would like to see let me know and I'll do my best.

And again if any mods are there and would like to move this to the Hair results by patients thread Id be grateful!!

5b32e062b2805_Day3front.jpg.498d0ea89de85e3385f2198a0cbdb94b.jpg

20140724_120432.jpg.2dafbf9839297464a6fdd7fefb0121fd.jpg

20140724_120410.jpg.60acb568fb076ca89e5146b676805e7a.jpg

5b32e062eed07_closeup.jpg.57966debbde051c028f8c28d29b97242.jpg

Edited by therambler

Congratulations! Dr. Konior never fails to impress. That's going to have a huge impact on your appearance. Can't wait to see how it turns out for you. Please keep us posted.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Thanks David! I'll be sure to keep the pics coming. As a lurker here for the last few years I know how cool it is to keep an eye on someones progress when they post regular updates :)

Congrats buddy. I had the transplant with Dr Konior, just 3 days before you. Will follow your posts and see how your progress :). I had asked Tom for my pics from him and he said Dr K was really busy on Monday and had a very long day which went till night and now I guess it might be yours :D

Haha congrats yourself I may check out your pics;) I dunno how the doctor does it, he must love his work. Couldn't believe it when i was told it was over and looked at the clock and it was 12.10 am :eek: Was in that morning at 6.15. He has the patience of a saint.

He even made time for quick follow ups with me the last couple of days since as well when I was in for a clean

Oh Wow..Thats way too long a day. And can you imagine he being up at 6:15 early morning again for the next surgery which might go upto who knows how long..:confused::confused::confused:

I had an online consultation a few years back with some of the belgian docs - Dr. Deveroe and Dr. Feruidini i think. This was about 3 years ago and I didn't have the money plus I was prob better off waiting a few years anyway, I'm 30 now.

I had a consultation with David the UK rep from Hasson and Wong in London, really nice guy and worth visiting if he's around your area. In the end I went with Dr. Konior because he's had some great results in last few years with people who's hairlines seemed similar to my own. And I like the fact he places the grafts himself. He's a perfectionist who loves his profession and it shows.

Sure he might be more expensive than other doctors and definitely ones based in Europe for me but I wasn't going to let money be a deciding factor in one of the most important decisions in my life :)

Thank you very much for sharing. Excellent decision to wait a few years. I'm in the same boat as you myself, however, I'm headed towards a Norwood 5 potentially 6, so I am going to wait a few more years before pulling the trigger.

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

Day 4 or 3 .. not sure, i've confused myself :P Its friday anyway just out of the good doctors office and had my procedure Tuesday. Forehead is still swollen and theres a small bit of bruising around the temple area. Oozing has pretty much stopped though so it looks clean now

20140725_124723.jpg.58a3ff1be396ed5a37a85cc0f5c5cb60.jpg

5b32e0682a1d8_lefttemple.jpg.6963d896e758966100db5e45e577eb3b.jpg

5b32e0691f3b4_righttemple.jpg.2abd17524ef95f4cbba9e424d0beb6c1.jpg

Sitting in O'Hare airport now near my gate. All that worrying over flight customs security etc. for nothing it was a breeze :)

My first worry was I originally booked the flight to go to London via Dublin, as I was working in London when I booked it. I'm back living in Ireland now. Would they be able to let me and my bags off at Dublin and not transfer them to Gatwick? 'Sure that's no problem sir' said the check in guy, One hurdle negotiated, Makes it a lot easier for me as I would have had to fly back from England and gone through security all over again.

Then when I got to the security gate in the airport it's just so busy with so many queues of people that no one really notices what you're doing with your cap. I had my laptop in one tray, my bag and my belt, watch , runners etc in another tray, cap still on head. Just at very last minute the security guy asked me to remove it, i casually did so and placed it in my tray just before it went through scanner. Walked straight through, the guy made no comment at all not even a second glance. In about 10 seconds my tray was through and my cap back in my head. Easy peasy :)

Now for the actual flight, I have some of the saline solution with me in a small bottle and my antibiotic cream too. I plan to apply them both a couple of times during the flight as my scalps getting very.. cracky! I have some valium with me in case i want to sleep and sons of anarchy series one on the laptop if I don't!

These pics are taken just out of the shower. Today I started directly washing the grafts area - gently, prob should be a bit more aggressive to get rid of the crusts in the next few days. Feels weird rubbing the grafts! They feel very secure though. I also started using rogaine today again.

Questions, Did other HT veterans start applying aloe vera at this stage too or any other moisturizers? (I have cocoa butter formula with vitamin E as well don't know if it's any use) If so, Just after the shower or throughout the day?

top.jpg.0e86545ab42111a1ca3cc03ab004f537.jpg

right.jpg.285afc16ce04a03d5dd1365ab26a685a.jpg

20140729_154128.jpg.f4154fbf2f617b4b68f0e5ad411b7058.jpg

20140729_154143.jpg.599ff2bb0b494f388bec3e72e0aa5655.jpg

Congratulations Rambler on your recent surgery with Dr Konior all looks great and I look forward to following your progress. Thanks for the nice words about me I was happy to help with your research.

Interesting what you said about the customs as is the case no-one is looking at your hair and what it looks like but this remains a big concern for patients.

Glad you are home now, as for aloe vera and vitamin e oil I would drop Dr Koniors office a line as each clinic has different advice in respect to this some say 1 week others 10 days and some two weeks.

---

Former patient and representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

Questions, Did other HT veterans start applying aloe vera at this stage too or any other moisturizers? (I have cocoa butter formula with vitamin E as well don't know if it's any use) If so, Just after the shower or throughout the day?

I had a procedure with Dr. K eight months ago and I didn't use anything on the recipient area except the saline spray during the initial healing phase and a very mild sulfate-free baby shampoo when washing the area. I would ask Dr. K what he suggests (if anything), he's lightning fast with his email replies.

3,425 FUT grafts with Dr Raymond Konior - Nov 2013

1,600 FUE grafts with Dr Raymond Konior - Dec 2018

Thanks for the replies, Yup I emailed Dr. Konior and he recommended not to use vitamin e oil but aloe vera is okay. I mixed a small bit of aloe with water and am spraying every now and then, figure it can't do any harm!

Still sticking with the baby shampoo and have resumed using rogaine as well. Did anyone notice it is more difficult to apply at this stage post op? I kept my hair short before and applied rogaine each morning after shower no problem. Since the HT it tends to sit on the scalp more instead of soaking in, just take a little bit longer to absorb, strange!